Glazed Carrots with Sage

Glazed carrots with sage

Carrots – what can one say about carrots?  They are good, good for you, cheap, easy to cook, and extremely versatile.  Glazed carrots with sage is one of those carrot dishes that epitomizes all of these characteristics.  It’s SO delicious that it is our favorite carrot dish. It is SO easy to make that whenever I just have 15 minutes to throw a side together, this is my go to recipe. You can also change up the herbs and oils to better meet your tastes and to complement the rest of the meal. However, the recipe below is our favorite version and one that I very seldom change.

Carrots sauteed with fresh sage

What makes this recipe so special is the butter glaze and almost caramelization of the carrots in their own sugar.  Some of the carrot pieces get a little crusty on the edges which we really love.

The sage – Sage is by far the best herb for this recipe.  It doesn’t matter whether it’s fresh sage or dried sage – either works.

The sea salt – My favorite sea salt to use with this dish is a white truffle sea salt that my dear MIL gave me a couple of years ago. However, there are several seasoned sea salts you could use or just go with a nice unseasoned fleur de sel.

Serving size – I know that I indicate a serving size of 4, but Bobby and I can easily finish off four carrots, even when this is a side dish. I’ve been known to chop up two carrots and make this for my lunch.

Question:  So if you eat enough beta-carotene laden vegetables, will you eventually turn orange?  With all of the lovely fall vegetables we’ve been eating this year (pumpkin, butternut, sweet potatoes, and carrots), I think I’m testing out this theory. :)

Additional Ideas for the Holiday Table

Roasted Butternut squash with apples, sage and Manchego cheeseRoasted Butternut Squash with Apples and Manchego

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter

Lima beans, corn, and green chile succotashGreen Chile Succotash

Fingerling potatoes roasted with smoked paprikaRoasted Fingerling Potatoes

The best cranberry sauce

Triple Cranberry Sauce

Glazed Carrots with Sage has been shared with the following blog hops.  My Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul, Whole Foods Wednesday, Carole’s Food on Friday

This Carrot and Sage recipe was featured on the DailyBuzz Top 9 – December 2012.

Tags: , , , ,

79 Responses to “Glazed Carrots with Sage”

1. Swathi November 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Simple carrot dish can be this beautiful great I love it.

2. Carolyn Jung November 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Glazed carrots are my go-to for the Thanksgiving table. I love mixing it up, too, by adding maple syrup or a dash of cumin or some ginger preserves.

• mj November 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Thanks Carolyn! I, too love carrots with maple syrup or honey, but I’ve never tried them with ginger preserves. Sounds really good!

3. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies November 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

So simple and beautiful! I love the combination of carrots and sage too. :)

4. Frank Mosher November 19, 2012 at 8:07 am #

I am sorry, but I did try this recipe with fresh carrots and sage from my garden. It was a waste of both. The sage totally lost it’s normally strong taste. In retrospect, carrots and caraway seeds would have been a better recipe for us. Thanks.

• mj November 19, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Frank – thank you for your feedback! I’m glad you tried this recipe, but sorry that you didn’t like it. Based on your comments I can see that you love strong, bold herby flavors. I do agree that the sage is subtle in the recipe and more of a complement than a major flavor; so if a bold sage flavor is what you are looking for, then, you’re right – this isn’t your recipe as you discovered. :) I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks so much for following my blog!

5. ATasteOfMadness November 19, 2012 at 7:03 am #

Ooh, yum! I never knew how versatile carrots were! These look great

6. Treat and Trick November 19, 2012 at 3:35 am #

This dish looks so good with just simple ingredients. Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Raymund November 19, 2012 at 12:04 am #

This would go well with some grilled meats.

8. Terra November 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

I love glazed carrots, they are such a fantastic side dish! These would be wonderful on Thanksgiving, and the addition of sage would make them taste amazing:-) Hugs, Terra

9. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles November 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Ah, the season of the carrot, I love it! Agreed, so easy to pull together and in this case, talk about getting great bang for your buck with the gorgeous sage imparting so much flavour… (I’ve also noticed that olive oil + sea salt has the power to transform just about any vegetable into a heavenly bite). Did you know that carrot is one of the few vegetables that is actually more nutritious when cooked? It’s true – so you have that working for you too here! ;-). Great dish MJ.

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Thanks Kelly! Yep – you can’t go wrong with a little olive oil and sea salt. :) I did not know that carrot became MORE nutritious when cooked. Thanks for that bit of info!!!

10. Sissi November 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

MJ, if it wasn’t for you, I would never know that carrots can look so elegant! Sage addition is really worth trying, especially since I stopped growing sage on my balcony because I didn’t have enough ideas to use it…
    I had a professor at the university who drank a bottle (half a liter) carrot juice every day for a month (it was an experiment I think) and his complexion has become orangey. The funniest were his palms: the interior was completely orange!

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Thanks Sissi! I have to admit that sage, thyme and oregano are my two favorite herbs. I always run out before my herb garden comes back in the summer. Sage is great in yeast bread! A half liter of carrot just a day!?!?! Yeh – I think that would turn someone orange! I’ll definitely keep an eye on my palms. :)

11. Soni November 18, 2012 at 11:22 am #

This looks so good and so super easy :) I have to try it during these holidays for sure!!Never tried carrots with sage but sounds lovely :)

12. Adora's Box November 18, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Carrots are so delicious. They taste like candy when fried like this. I won’t mind not having a main dish if it’s this carrot dish on the side.

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Thanks Adora! I agree – they do take on a candylike taste, but not so sweet, just tasty.

13. Debra November 18, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I love easy, simple, and delicious!

14. Fred November 18, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Thats such a great combination, I think sage get overlooked all the time.

15. Sawsan @chef in disguise November 18, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I can answet the last question with a definite no. My daughter loves all these orange fall veges. She eats enough for me to tell you that no matter how much orange veges you eat, you are safe :)

All joking aside this is amazing MJ. I love sage, I even love fresh sage in my tea and I look forward to giving this a try

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Whew!!! Glad to know that a change in skin coloring is not in my future! :) I hope you do get a chance to try these. Your daughter will definitely love them! :) Thanks Sawsan!

16. Viviane Bauquet Farre November 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

The definition of sweet meets savory. I love it, MJ. A very appropriate side dish for the upcoming holiday – I’ll be keeping this recipe close by!

17. Liz November 17, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Wow! I never would have thought of pairing carrots and sage. But I adore sage, so I can see that this is a perfect, delicious match!!! So easy, too!!!! Have a terrific Thanksgiving!!!!

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks Liz! The first time I made this I was surprised how delicious the combination of sage and carrots was. You do need to try it. You’ll love it. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

18. cookingrookie November 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

They are so healthy and pretty!

19. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

I love this dish. I make one similar but now I’m going to try yours.

Happy Thanksgiving!

20. Hotly Spiced November 17, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

I love carrots and think they make an excellent side-dish. I cook mine like this rather than boiling or steaming them as I think they retain better flavour but I’ve never added sage. I’ll give this a try xx

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Thanks HS! I agree to skip the boiling or steaming. The Cooking Light recipe actually has you cook the carrots in water for 10 minutes. That was one of my modifications.

21. ChgoJohn November 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

I’m a big fan of glazed carrots, too, although I’ve never thought to add some sage. I’ve a feeling I just found my new favorite carrot recipe. Thanks!

22. The Wimpy Vegetarian November 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

These look wonderful. I have a nice healthy sage plant in my garden right now that would be perfect for this. Carrots are soooo versatile.

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks WV! Fresh sage is the best with this! These sage came from my herb garden as well.

23. Angie@Angie's Recipes November 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Simple and delicious! We LOVE carrots a lot, but usually eat them raw as a snack ;-)

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks Angie! It’s funny when you said you usually eat them raw, I remembered that this recipe usually ends up with only 3.5 carrots because Bobby sits across from me while I’m chopping eating the carrot pieces off the cutting board. :)

24. Ramona November 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

I’m all for a side of those yummy carrots! I think I may have to run to the grocery store and stock up with some carrots before the big day so I can enjoy these on my table. :)

25. Zsuzsa November 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

As a kid I was eating carrots diligently, mostly in homemade soups, because we were told we had to eat carrots if we wanted to whistle. I tried after every time I ate carrots, but to this day I cannot whistle. I am 63 and I am still eating carrots.

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

:) Interesting. Because I’ve loved carrots all my life as well, and I can’t whistle. Obviously an old wives tale. :)

26. Vicki Bensinger November 17, 2012 at 11:46 am #

You carrots look beautiful. I love how you cut them on a bias and flavored them with sage. I need to try these.

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Thanks Vicki! I’m not sure why, but I have always cut my carrots on the bias. I guess I like the size of the pieces.

27. Choc Chip Uru November 17, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Mmmm I could eat many of these carrots :)

Choc Chip Uru

28. Kristen November 17, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Simple is often the best. Those carrots sound lovely and would make a great addition to any table!

29. CJ at Food Stories November 17, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I love carrots and this dish looks fabulous

30. Tessa November 17, 2012 at 9:09 am #

What a lovely dish! The first photo is just gorgeous. Since one of the dishes that I am responsible for at Thanksgiving this year includes carrots, I will definitely give this a try! Have a great weekend MJ!

• mj November 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Thanks Tessa! I hope you and your family enjoy it!!

1. Bourbon Carrots - Four Ways | MJ's Kitchen - May 5, 2013

[...] I have a number of carrot recipes.  I posted one of our favorite recipes a while back - Glazed Carrots with Sage. Bourbon carrots with a little oil or butter then topped off with an herb or spice, is another of [...]