Andouille and Black Bean Soup

A spicy soup with andouille and blank beans mjskitchen.com

This soup started with two ingredients – black beans and roasted poblanos.  I had a huge container of black beans in the refrigerator from the pot of beans I had made for the black bean and shiitake enchiladas.  The poblanos were from a market bargain – a 99 cent bag of 10 large peppers.  As soon as I got home from the market I roasted, peeled and chopped the poblanos and started using them in a variety of dishes throughout the week, including this soup. A couple of 1/2 cup bags did end up in the freezer for the winter. The rest of the soup’s ingredients (andouille, potatoes and tomatoes) evolved from what was in the refrigerator and freezer. The result was fantastic!

The first night we ate the soup with “everything” crackers. The second night I made buttermilk cornbread. The crackers worked good, but the cornbread was better. But then what soup doesn’t go better with cornbread?

A spicy soup with andouille and blank beans mjskitchen.com

Cumin / coriander powder mix – The toasted seeds yield more powder than you need for this recipe. Just save the rest of the powder for another use.  It’s great in scrambled eggs, sprinkled on top of a salad or sandwich, added to a chile sauce or chili, and many other dishes.  Because I use this blend pretty much every week, I keep a small bottle of it in the spice drawer.  Just click on the link to see how to make an even bigger batch.

The stock – The individual ingredients in this soup have so much spiciness and flavor, that it really shouldn’t matter what type of stock you use – vegetable, chicken, beef, or pork. I had some beef stock in the freezer so that’s what I used. Of course homemade stock is always best, but canned stock or broth would work just fine.

Andouille – Andouille sausage is a spicy, smoked pork sausage brought to Louisiana by French immigrants.  When we lived in Louisiana we could find it quite easily in any grocery or market. Here in New Mexico, we had to search for it, but we did find a couple of local sources that make a darn good andouille. The spicy smokiness of the sausage worked great in this soup.  If you don’t have andouille, then use another smoked sausage like Kielbasa.

Poblano peppers – To save time, don’t roast the poblano peppers. Just seed them and diced them. Poblanos have such a thin skin that they really don’t need roasting.  I roasted them because I love roasted peppers of any kind!  AND you could always use New Mexico roasted green chiles – of course. :)

Tomatoes – I used fresh Romas and didn’t bother to peel them making the prep for this soup even easier. You can use canned tomatoes, but be sure to get diced, not chopped.  You want the tomatoes to add flavor without being a noticeable ingredient of the soup.

Black Beans - I always recommend cooking your own beans using dried beans, but I know that this is not always possible.  Canned beans would work just fine, but be sure to drain them.

Olives – The green olives are a must. They are a great finish.

This Andouille and Black Soup recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.

Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul , Totally Tasty Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Michelle’s Creative Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Keep It Real Thursday , Gluten-Free Friday, Food on Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Weekend Potluck, Made With Love Mondays

This soup was featured at the Zesty South Indian Kitchen Hearth & Soul Blog Hop.

Tags: , ,

68 Responses to “Andouille and Black Bean Soup”

1. Amber @ The Cook's Sister November 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

What a fantastic looking soup! I also find that I plan a simple soup but add a little bit of everything until it’s much more hearty than originally planned. Love the pablano peppers!

2. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) November 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

This soup has such beautiful colors!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We had 101 awesome recipes! What a great resource we are creating!! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

The winner of the Domata prize pack will be announced Thursday at the party!

3. Javelin Warrior November 6, 2012 at 7:05 am #

This soup looks marvelous, MJ. I’m a big fan of soups incorporating beans (especially black beans), so this is right up my alley. And I’m so impressed you took the time to roast the poblanos – I’ve roasted poblanos just once and it was quite the chore (the peeling and seeding part), but so worth it. And I don’t think there’s anything that goes better with spicy soups than cornbread :) Thanks so much for sharing….

4. Michelle November 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

MJ,
    I’ve been looking for a black bean soup recipe, and this is perfect! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

5. Swathi November 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

MJ, this soup is really beautiful and delicious. I love this kind of wholesome soup. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. I am highlighting this recipe this week.

6. Judy @Savoring Today November 5, 2012 at 11:52 am #

I can’t imagine soup that starts with black beans and roasted poblanos could be anything but GOOD! Great recipe here, MJ, really sounds satisfying. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

7. Donna November 5, 2012 at 1:41 am #

This has been marked as a must-do for a hearty fall weekday dinner (with the cornbread….which I have not had in so very long…since our move to France)..which brings me to my question….If French Andouille and Southern Andouille are not really the same, in our day……what would be a good substitution?…Portuguese Linguiça?..Merguez?….Spanish Chorizo?…I want very much to do your recipe justice…soups with cumin simply speak my name!…Thank you for all you do and share.

• mj November 5, 2012 at 6:51 am #

Thank you Donna! To answer your question, I’m not familiar with Merguez and haven’t tried true French andouille; however, being a fan of Spanish chorizo, I would go for it as a substitute. It would provide that smoky sausage punch provided by the andouille, I hope you get a chance to make it and if you do, please stop back by and let me know!

8. April @ The 21st Century Housewife November 4, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Your Andouille and Black Bean Soup looks delicious – definitely a wholesome and comforting treat for the autumn. I like the cumin and coriander with the Andouille sausage.

9. Carole November 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Thanks for linking this super sausage post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you via Google reader. A follow back to Carole’s Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

10. Carole November 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Hi there. Food on Friday this time is all about sausages! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.

11. Christin@FortMillSCLiving November 1, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Anything with andouille sausage is good in my opinion. Looks delicious!

12. Food Jaunts October 30, 2012 at 10:27 am #

MJ you are speaking my language! One it’s freezing and this looks perfect for the weather. Plus the pantry staples make it even better – bookmarked for a tasty weekend dinner when it’s especially cold outside!

13. Sandra's Easy Cooking October 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

This looks amazing! What a great recipe and pictures are just stunning and so tempting! I want this for my lunch tomorrow! Have a great week!

14. ATasteOfMadness October 28, 2012 at 11:57 am #

It is definitely soup weather. This looks fantastic!

15. Adora's Box October 27, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Perfect soup for cold weather, MJ. Love that you’ve included the kitchen notes. Finally found what I can use instead of andouille. Chillies here are pretty generic: red or green, but that will do.

• mj October 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks Adora! Yes, any smoked sausage and just about any chile will do.

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 27, 2012 at 2:21 am #

I don’t think I’ve tried both Andouille sausages or poblano chile before and such a shame. Your soup sounds hearty and I love how you put lots of great ingredients in the soup!

17. Dara October 26, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Beautiful soup! Love the flavors. I actually just harvested all the pobalanos from my garden and needed some inspiration. Thanks!

• mj October 27, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Thanks Dara! I’ve never grown Poblanos, but probably should since I do use them quite a bit. Hope you get to make this soup!

18. Baker Street October 26, 2012 at 4:39 am #

I love black beans and roasted poblano!! What a hearty soup, MJ! This recipe is surely for me! :)

19. Sanjeeta kk October 26, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Wish you could make a separate page where you post pictures of those ingredients which most of us are not familiar with..want to see how Poblano peppers look like..and now I need to look into the cornbread.

• mj October 27, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Sanjeeta – that’s a great idea! I’ve been wanting to take my blog to the next level and that’s a great place to start! Thanks for the suggestion and comment!

20. Kim Bee October 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

This is just lovely. I want to eat at your place. You do it up right.

21. Terra October 25, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

What a gorgeous, hearty soup! I love soup, but it has to have lots of wonderful treats in the bowl…..the whole broth thing does not work for me:-) Yum, Hugs, Terra

22. Kate@Diethood October 25, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

What a lovely soup! I can only imagine how good it was with that cornbread! YUMMO! :)

23. Cucina49 October 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Andouille and black beans are two of my favorite ingredients–this is one good-looking soup!

24. France @ Beyond The Peel October 25, 2012 at 11:39 am #

Wow, I can’t believe how yummy this looks. You out did yourself this time.

25. cquek October 25, 2012 at 5:36 am #

This is on my list of things to make next week

26. Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings October 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Agreed! The olives are a nice way to finish! Gotta find me some nice andouille sausage – I think I know where I can get good ones around here!

27. Giulietta | Alterkitchen October 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

What a soup! O___O

28. Zsuzsa October 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

I was here yesterday, but I couldn’t find the comment link. This is a lovely soup even without the paprika. No I am joking. It’s just that it is hard for me to get out of the paprika box and then it’s always a surprise when there is something good without it. Don’t mind me, I am just rambling away…

• mj October 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Thank you so much for coming back to try again! I had some malicious code in the post causing me problems. Well, I do love paprika as well, but I can make some dishes without it. Hope you branch out and can resist not grabbing the bottle. :)

29. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles October 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Yay, commenting issue solved!

I’m loving your black bean recipes lately MJ! You know… even if you had left this recipe to those two central ingredients – black beans & poblanos – the basis of this gorgeous soup, it would have still been smashing but I must admit I like all of your additions, including the sausage. Your spices sound very warming too… perfect. What a hearty, satisfying meal!

• mj October 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly for your comment and for your invaluable help in helping me solve the comment problems! You’re the greatest!

30. Soni October 24, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Love andouille and black beans!This soup looks like a perfect meal for these cool days and love all the spices you’ve put in here!Poblanos sound like a great addition :)

31. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen October 24, 2012 at 10:26 am #

I don’t know why it took me so long to come here and see your beautiful blog?! I’m now your newest follower:) I made soup as well and really love your addition of peppers and andouille sausage.. it must have been so yummy!

• mj October 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Thanks and welcome Barbara!!! Look forward to sharing with you!

32. Liz October 24, 2012 at 6:39 am #

A soul warming soup for sure! Love all these delicious flavors :)

33. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb October 24, 2012 at 3:21 am #

Hi MJ!

I am melting at the thought of the soup flavors. I had totally forgotten about the existence of Andouille, I have to admit it has been a while since I had it last (approx 10 years). The cumin and coriander powder will give it a lovely nice warm taste and I feel that’s essential in a good soup for the winter season. Right now I won’t be able to try out your soup, since we are experiencing the October heat but once the temperatures are going down in Goa, I ll introduce it to my husbands dinner. ;)

• mj October 24, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Thanks Helene! We’re also having crazy warm spells here for October. Got a nice chill a couple of weeks ago when I made this, but then it warmed up. It’s supposed to get cooler this weekend. At least the fall colors have lasted a long time. It’s beautiful here! Have a great week!

34. Treat and Trick October 24, 2012 at 12:15 am #

Fantastic combo and looks awesome! Love the use of freshly ground spices in it…

35. Balvinder October 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

With chunks of vegetables, sausage in black beans and the aromatic cumin and coriander , this calls for a delicious bowl of perfection.

36. Asmita October 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

This is such a hearty and comforting soup. Perfect for the winter! I need to make this soon.

37. Raymund October 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Ohhh that soup looks magical, That would be nice on cold days like what you have there now

38. Viviane Bauquet Farre October 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Now this is an Autumn dish, MJ. The flavors, colors, and warmth all conspire to evoke that special fall coziness. My compliments, as always.

39. Ramona October 23, 2012 at 8:30 am #

I would love this soup…. with crackers and/or cornbread. :) You certainly know your way around black beans! :)

40. Bill Harris October 23, 2012 at 7:40 am #

We’re starting to have some cool nights in Atlanta and soup is the perfect supper. I’m always looking for good soup recipes and this one looks great! Gotta try it!!

41. Sissi October 23, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Bargain poblanos… (sigh!) I can only dream of these… This is one more fabulous Southern dish, which to me represents the whole exotic part of the US I must start exploring one day in my kitchen because as always this one looks extremely appetising too!
    I now know from your previous posts that American andouille hasn’t got much to do with French andouille (luckily!). (By the way, from your description of andouille, I suppose the best substitute would be a Hungarian smoked and hot sausage).

• mj October 24, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Thanks Sissi! That’s interesting about French andouille vs. southern andouille. It was the French that introduced it here, I guess the people of south Louisiana changed it for their tastes. I’m not familiar with Hungarian smoked sausage, but I would think any smoked sausage would work here, as well as any type of spicy pepper.

42. Eri October 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Hello Mj, excelent, warming recipe, i have to keep this recipe for winter, i love that you garnished the dish with olives what a great idea!

43. wok with ray October 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

I love poblano pepper especially the roasted ones. This soup looks very hearty with the sausage. Mmmm yes sausage. Have a good week, MJ!

44. ChgoJohn October 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

I like to use andouille sausage in my bean soups but, I must admit, none ever come near to this soup that you’ve created. This sounds like a real treat and would be perfect for the cold days ahead. Thanks for sharing.

• mj October 24, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Thanks John! I don’t know what it is about andouille, but it’s the ultimate of smoked sausage in my book!

45. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

I love a dish that’s been tweaked to perfection like this one.

46. Debra October 22, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

A little of this, a little of that. The best soups are born that way!

47. Jane October 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

I love that the green olives are not optional! Cornbread and soup is the perfect combo … sounds delish!

48. Tessa October 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Gorgeous soup! And a big bag of poblanos for a buck? That’s quite the score!

• mj October 24, 2012 at 8:43 am #

Thanks Tessa! I thought the price was right too, then I talked to my sister. :) She can get 3 pound for a dollar! That’s unheard of here.

49. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin October 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

The perfect soup for my household – sausage for my husband and lots of tasty veggies for me! This looks delicious and reminds me why I love when the cool weather returns in the fall :)

50. Choc Chip Uru October 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

I love the ingredients in your gorgeous soup :)

Choc Chip Uru

51. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

A hearty and tasty soup!

52. john@kitchenriffs October 22, 2012 at 9:10 am #

I love my mortar and pestle, and couldn’t live without them. I don’t see that many recipes that specify them these days – glad to see you use them! Soup looks great, and you’ve reminded me that I haven’t made cornbread in ages! The olives add an interesting touch – I wouldn’t have thought to include them with these flavors, but they sure sound like they’d contribute a lot. Really nice – thank you.

• mj October 24, 2012 at 8:42 am #

thanks John! Of yeh – my m&p stays on the countertop! Cornbread – Even Bobby hears me say the word – I have to make it. That and “huevos rancheros”. The green olives really add that little bit of acid and tartness that any soup needs. I love them with spicy foods!

53. Vicki Bensinger October 22, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Right amount of spice

54. Vicki Bensinger October 22, 2012 at 8:50 am #

This really looks good and just the right punt of spice. It will be perfect to make this week as our weather will be Yo-Yoing up and down.

• mj October 24, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Thanks Vicki! We’re having a lot of up and down in our weather as well, but it looks like it’s going to get cold for Halloween. Of course!

1. Roasted Pumpkin and Red Chile Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 5, 2012