Andouille and Black Bean Soup

A spicy soup with andouille and blank beans mjskitchen.com

This soup started with two ingredients – black beans and roasted poblanos.  I had a huge container of black beans in the refrigerator from the pot of beans I had made for the black bean and shiitake enchiladas.  The poblanos were from a market bargain – a 99 cent bag of 10 large peppers.  As soon as I got home from the market I roasted, peeled and chopped the poblanos and started using them in a variety of dishes throughout the week, including this soup. A couple of 1/2 cup bags did end up in the freezer for the winter. The rest of the soup’s ingredients (andouille, potatoes and tomatoes) evolved from what was in the refrigerator and freezer. The result was fantastic!

The first night we ate the soup with “everything” crackers. The second night I made buttermilk cornbread. The crackers worked good, but the cornbread was better. But then what soup doesn’t go better with cornbread?

A spicy soup with andouille and blank beans mjskitchen.com

Cumin / coriander powder mix – The toasted seeds yield more powder than you need for this recipe. Just save the rest of the powder for another use.  It’s great in scrambled eggs, sprinkled on top of a salad or sandwich, added to a chile sauce or chili, and many other dishes.  Because I use this blend pretty much every week, I keep a small bottle of it in the spice drawer.  Just click on the link to see how to make an even bigger batch.

The stock – The individual ingredients in this soup have so much spiciness and flavor, that it really shouldn’t matter what type of stock you use – vegetable, chicken, beef, or pork. I had some beef stock in the freezer so that’s what I used. Of course homemade stock is always best, but canned stock or broth would work just fine.

Andouille – Andouille sausage is a spicy, smoked pork sausage brought to Louisiana by French immigrants.  When we lived in Louisiana we could find it quite easily in any grocery or market. Here in New Mexico, we had to search for it, but we did find a couple of local sources that make a darn good andouille. The spicy smokiness of the sausage worked great in this soup.  If you don’t have andouille, then use another smoked sausage like Kielbasa.

Poblano peppers – To save time, don’t roast the poblano peppers. Just seed them and diced them. Poblanos have such a thin skin that they really don’t need roasting.  I roasted them because I love roasted peppers of any kind!  AND you could always use New Mexico roasted green chiles – of course. :)

Tomatoes – I used fresh Romas and didn’t bother to peel them making the prep for this soup even easier. You can use canned tomatoes, but be sure to get diced, not chopped.  You want the tomatoes to add flavor without being a noticeable ingredient of the soup.

Black Beans - I always recommend cooking your own beans using dried beans, but I know that this is not always possible.  Canned beans would work just fine, but be sure to drain them.

Olives – The green olives are a must. They are a great finish.

This Andouille and Black Soup recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.

Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul , Totally Tasty Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Michelle’s Creative Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Keep It Real Thursday , Gluten-Free Friday, Food on Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Weekend Potluck, Made With Love Mondays

This soup was featured at the Zesty South Indian Kitchen Hearth & Soul Blog Hop.

Tags: , ,

68 Responses to “Andouille and Black Bean Soup”

1. Amber @ The Cook's Sister November 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

What a fantastic looking soup! I also find that I plan a simple soup but add a little bit of everything until it’s much more hearty than originally planned. Love the pablano peppers!

2. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) November 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

This soup has such beautiful colors!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We had 101 awesome recipes! What a great resource we are creating!! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

The winner of the Domata prize pack will be announced Thursday at the party!

3. Javelin Warrior November 6, 2012 at 7:05 am #

This soup looks marvelous, MJ. I’m a big fan of soups incorporating beans (especially black beans), so this is right up my alley. And I’m so impressed you took the time to roast the poblanos – I’ve roasted poblanos just once and it was quite the chore (the peeling and seeding part), but so worth it. And I don’t think there’s anything that goes better with spicy soups than cornbread :) Thanks so much for sharing….

4. Michelle November 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

MJ,
    I’ve been looking for a black bean soup recipe, and this is perfect! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

5. Swathi November 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

MJ, this soup is really beautiful and delicious. I love this kind of wholesome soup. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. I am highlighting this recipe this week.

6. Judy @Savoring Today November 5, 2012 at 11:52 am #

I can’t imagine soup that starts with black beans and roasted poblanos could be anything but GOOD! Great recipe here, MJ, really sounds satisfying. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

7. Donna November 5, 2012 at 1:41 am #

This has been marked as a must-do for a hearty fall weekday dinner (with the cornbread….which I have not had in so very long…since our move to France)..which brings me to my question….If French Andouille and Southern Andouille are not really the same, in our day……what would be a good substitution?…Portuguese Linguiça?..Merguez?….Spanish Chorizo?…I want very much to do your recipe justice…soups with cumin simply speak my name!…Thank you for all you do and share.

• mj November 5, 2012 at 6:51 am #

Thank you Donna! To answer your question, I’m not familiar with Merguez and haven’t tried true French andouille; however, being a fan of Spanish chorizo, I would go for it as a substitute. It would provide that smoky sausage punch provided by the andouille, I hope you get a chance to make it and if you do, please stop back by and let me know!

8. April @ The 21st Century Housewife November 4, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Your Andouille and Black Bean Soup looks delicious – definitely a wholesome and comforting treat for the autumn. I like the cumin and coriander with the Andouille sausage.

9. Carole November 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Thanks for linking this super sausage post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you via Google reader. A follow back to Carole’s Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

10. Carole November 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Hi there. Food on Friday this time is all about sausages! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.

11. Christin@FortMillSCLiving November 1, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Anything with andouille sausage is good in my opinion. Looks delicious!

12. Food Jaunts October 30, 2012 at 10:27 am #

MJ you are speaking my language! One it’s freezing and this looks perfect for the weather. Plus the pantry staples make it even better – bookmarked for a tasty weekend dinner when it’s especially cold outside!

13. Sandra's Easy Cooking October 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

This looks amazing! What a great recipe and pictures are just stunning and so tempting! I want this for my lunch tomorrow! Have a great week!

14. ATasteOfMadness October 28, 2012 at 11:57 am #

It is definitely soup weather. This looks fantastic!

15. Adora's Box October 27, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Perfect soup for cold weather, MJ. Love that you’ve included the kitchen notes. Finally found what I can use instead of andouille. Chillies here are pretty generic: red or green, but that will do.

• mj October 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks Adora! Yes, any smoked sausage and just about any chile will do.

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 27, 2012 at 2:21 am #

I don’t think I’ve tried both Andouille sausages or poblano chile before and such a shame. Your soup sounds hearty and I love how you put lots of great ingredients in the soup!

17. Dara October 26, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Beautiful soup! Love the flavors. I actually just harvested all the pobalanos from my garden and needed some inspiration. Thanks!

• mj October 27, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Thanks Dara! I’ve never grown Poblanos, but probably should since I do use them quite a bit. Hope you get to make this soup!

18. Baker Street October 26, 2012 at 4:39 am #

I love black beans and roasted poblano!! What a hearty soup, MJ! This recipe is surely for me! :)

19. Sanjeeta kk October 26, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Wish you could make a separate page where you post pictures of those ingredients which most of us are not familiar with..want to see how Poblano peppers look like..and now I need to look into the cornbread.

• mj October 27, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Sanjeeta – that’s a great idea! I’ve been wanting to take my blog to the next level and that’s a great place to start! Thanks for the suggestion and comment!

1. Roasted Pumpkin and Red Chile Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 5, 2012