Strawberry Tomato Salad with Mint

A refreshing Strawberry tomato salad with radish and mint. Perfect for the summer. mjskitchen.com

We had this Strawberry Tomato Salad for lunch the other day and I just had to share it with you.  Last summer I came across a beautiful Mozzarella, Tomato and Strawberry Salad over at eat.live.travel.write.  It was one of those recipes that introduces a combination that one (meaning “me”) would never have thought of – strawberry and tomato. I just had to give it a try. Well folks – if you haven’t tried this combination, then you are missing a real treat.  It is wonderful!!  Since I first tried it, I’ve been playing around with different ingredients and different vinaigrettes.  This strawberry tomato salad is one of the variations that we love.

For the salad in the picture, I used this beautiful heirloom tomato that I bought at the growers’ market.  I just recently discovered from Tessa over at Feral Kitchen that this particular heirloom is called a Pineapple Tomato.  It was one of the biggest tomatoes I’ve ever seen, but also one of the best tasting!  Any good, meaty tomato works for the salad, but how can you turn down an heirloom?!

A refreshing Strawberry tomato salad with radish and mint. Perfect for the summer. @mjskitchen

The cheese – Fresh mozzarella and feta both work quite well. The mozzarella yields a milder tasting salad and is subtle compared to the strawberries and tomatoes.  Feta is saltier and bolder so stands out more but still works as a tasty complement to the rest of the ingredients.

The radish – The first time I made this, I threw the radish in because I had some that needed to be used. I figured that Bobby would pick them out since he’s not a big radish fan.  He didn’t! In fact, he loved them with the salad; therefore, I kept them in the recipe and continue to include them whenever I make this salad.

The preserved lemon – Must I explain? 🙂 Isn’t everything better with preserved lemons? If you don’t have preserved lemons in the fridge, then you can always make my quick version.

The mint – We prefer fresh mint with this salad, but fresh basil is quite delicious as well.

If you enjoyed this Strawberry Tomato Salad, here are some other salads you might enjoy:

Strawberry, Coconut and Pinon Salad

Watermelon Salad with Preserved Lemon

Mango and Jicama Salad

This Strawberry Tomato Salad was featured on the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop @ Zesty South Indian Kitchen

and Hearth and Soul @ Premeditated Leftovers.

Tags: , ,

68 Responses to “Strawberry Tomato Salad with Mint”

1. Bill September 1, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Hi MJ. I’ve got to try this salad! I’ve never combined strawberries and tomatoes and I love the idea! We’ve had great tomatoes this summer that would be great with strawberries. I love the idea of adding cheese! Awesome post!

• mj September 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Thanks Bill! I was really surprised how well this combination worked. I, too, had never thought of strawberries with tomatoes. It still sounds weird but I now know how good to is. Hope you like it!

2. Magic of Spice November 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

What a bright and lovely salad!

3. Amber @ The Cook's Sister October 1, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Great salad! Fresh strawberries are one of my favourite foods!

4. Alea September 17, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

This salad looks amazing! I love the surprising combination of flavors you have used in it. I am featuring this on my H&S Hop highlights tomorrow.

• mj September 18, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Thanks Alea!!! That’s SO exciting! So glad you liked it!

5. Swathi September 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Another beautiful salad from You. Love anything with strawberry. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting it.

• mj September 18, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Thanks so much Swathi!! Have a great week!

6. Judy @Savoring Today September 17, 2012 at 7:51 am #

The mint must really set this off, and the feta … looks like a winner to me! And yes, everything is better with preserved lemon. 😉 Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. 🙂

• mj September 18, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Thanks Judy! Yes, that’s so true about preserved lemons!

7. vianney September 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

crazy good combo!! I need to try this!!

8. Javelin Warrior September 10, 2012 at 10:49 am #

This salad sounds incredible, MJ – and you’re right, I never would have thought to combine tomatoes with strawberries. I love the addition of the radish and preserved lemon – I’m going to need to work this salad into the rotation before heirlooms are impossible to find. Thanks so much for sharing…

9. Treat and Trick September 5, 2012 at 4:34 am #

I always admire your gorgeous photos and that is a combo I wish to try next!

10. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats September 5, 2012 at 4:14 am #

I will introduce this concoction to my mom. She loves tomato but I bet she never thought of adding strawberries to the salad. I do agree with Shannon and do wish that berries will be cheaper here. Sadly they are flown in, so I guess the price will forever be sky high. Great looking photos and the love the burst of colours too. Cheers~

11. Nisa Homey September 5, 2012 at 12:56 am #

Simple and yum salad….the wonderful colors will sure attract kids…plus the berries.

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 4, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Wow, this looks DELISH! When I first looked at the picture, I thought it’s a dessert – I think this “trick” will work on my kids. They won’t even think it’s salad! They love strawberries and tomatoes. I love how pretty this salad looks even for guests and parties!

13. Shannon | Just As Delish September 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

lovely salad! Drooling & wishing strawberries, radish and the cheeses are much cheaper here 🙂

14. Carolyn Jung September 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

A great combo of flavors. People often forget that tomatoes are a fruit. So, strawberries, peaches — you name it — go splendidly with them.

15. Hotly Spiced September 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

I have to say I’ve never tried a tomato and strawberry salad. It looks delicious and I love the look of your heirloom tomato xx

16. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

What a simple and beautiful summer salad MJ. I especially like the combination of mint and strawberry (I can smell it from here ;-)) – The radish is an interesting addition – I would have never thought to include it; great idea!

17. wok with ray September 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

What a nice and refreshing bowl of goodness and deliciousness. Your dressing is absolutely simple but definitely pops with the maple syrup in it. Love that gorgeous shot of tomato.

18. Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 4, 2012 at 9:11 am #

I also would have never thought of strawberry and tomatoes, what a brilliant idea. Have you ever tried nectarines and tomatoes? It’s also great! Thanks for sharing the great find, can’t wait to give it a try. Looks amazing:)

• mj September 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks Nancy! No I haven’t tried nectarines and strawberries but after having discovered this combination, I’m definitely willing to give it a try. Unfortunately, I’ll have to wait until next year. The nectarines have disappeared. 🙁

19. beti September 3, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

never thought about combining strawberries and tomatoes, it looks pretty good

20. Jay September 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

ohhh…my…this looks incredible
    Tasty Appetite

21. Charles September 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Hi MJ – the radishes must be the perfect touch here – a lovely bit of crunch to go with the creamy feta and beautiful soft, ripe strawberries! Looks fab 🙂

22. Food Jaunts September 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

What a great combo. I’ve been loving all of the heirloom tomatoes that have been flooding the market and am totally saddened by the fact that tomato season is coming to an end 🙁 The mozzarella sounds delish but I love the idea of the salty feta as a contrast.

• mj September 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Thanks FJ! I know what you mean about a flood of heirlooms! This has definitely been the year for them. The growers at the market have actually lowered their price/pound because everybody has them! Good for the buyer!

23. Sanjeeta kk September 3, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Aweee..I am waiting to try Strawberries and tomatoes combo..just wondering if my tomatoes (don’t get Heirloom t.) will make the salad too sour..

• mj September 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks Sanjeeta! You can use any type of tomato. The touch of maple in the dressing helps to counter a little more sour or tart tomato. You can always add a little more syrup if needed.

24. CJ at Food Stories September 3, 2012 at 11:21 am #

For me, this is a very unexpected combination and beautiful to boot … gotta add this to my list … Happy Labor Day 🙂

25. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) September 3, 2012 at 5:27 am #

WOW. That salad is so beautiful and fresh looking!!! My boyfriend Michael is like…drooling right now lol.

26. LIz September 3, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Those tomato chunks DO look like pineapple 🙂 What a delicious salad…I’ve made the same on as Mardi…it was one of our French Friday’s with Dorie posts…yum.

27. Raymund September 3, 2012 at 2:35 am #

I never tried this combination yet but surely it looks good, Yum!

28. ChgoJohn September 3, 2012 at 1:20 am #

I never would have thought to combine tomatoes and strawberries in anything. But, you know, adding a touch of radish, a little feta, some preserved lemon, and that dressing and, well, I’m thinking why isn’t this salad more popular? It does sound really good. It’s the combination of sweet & salty that I enjoy. Add a salty component and I’m in heaven!

• mj September 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks John! I’m obviously with you on the salty component! Sweet and salty – YUM!

29. Ramona September 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

I certainly would never have thought to pair strawberries and tomatoes together… but it looks beautiful! Hope you saw my comment regarding your award. If not… check out my blog post from 9-2-12 and collect it. 🙂 Hope you’re having a fantastic Labor Day weekend. ~ Ramona

• mj September 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks Ramona!!!! You’re a sweetheart!

30. Debra September 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

I love the addition of the radish!

31. Suzanne Perazzini September 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

This looks so fresh and healthy. Each of those cheeses would give quite a different taste experience.

32. Giulietta | Aterkitchen September 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Nice! I’d prefer it with feta, a stronger taste 🙂

• mj September 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Thank Giulia! I actually like it best with feta and Bobby likes it best with mozzarella. So we compromise and go back and forth. 🙂

33. Suzi September 2, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

MJ this looks like one tasty salad. Beautiful colors and very refreshing. I would never have thought to combine the two – strawberries and tomatoes together either. I want to try this with the mozzarella. Hey I also say this on Foodgawker a few minutes ago. Congrats to you. Happy Labor Day weekend.

• mj September 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks Suzi! WooHoo! Didn’t know it got accepted yet! Thanks for telling me. Happy Labor Day to you as well.

34. Choc Chip Uru September 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

This salsa looks too beautiful to eat but I will manage 😉

Choc Chip Uru

35. Jen @JuanitasCocina September 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

I am absolutely drooling here! Gorgeous!

36. Vicki Bensinger September 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

I like the way this sounds and adding the preserved lemons which I have on hand with that luscious dressing. I will definitely try this. I love when I find new recipes on another blog. Thanks for sharing.

• mj September 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks Vicki! I was hoping you would see this because I remembered that you just made a jar of preserved lemons.

37. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

What a lovely and delicious salad! Gorgeous colour.

38. Sissi September 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

MJ, strawberries and tomatoes in the same salad already sound very bold and creative for me, but radish? I am really impressed by your culinary imagination! Great and elegant summer salad idea.

• mj September 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks Sissi! We obviously eat a lot of salads so I have to come up with new things,like you and those no cook desserts of yours! 🙂

39. Jane September 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I never would have thought of strawberries and tomatoes either! And you can’t go wrong with feta (or mozzarella!)

40. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen September 2, 2012 at 11:23 am #

This just hits every flavor button doesn’t it? Looks wonderful! Love the dressing with maple syrup and vinegar.

41. France @ Beyond The Peel September 2, 2012 at 11:11 am #

It’s not a combination i’ve tried but you have me very intrigued. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• mj September 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

France – I’d love to hear how you liked it! Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

42. kitchenriffs September 2, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Really nice combo of flavors – and not one that I have had (or thought of). I really like the radish here, too. I like radishes but rarely buy them – I guess I just need to do that so I start using them. Strange how we get into ruts in what we use, isn’t it? Fun post – thank you.

• mj September 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Thanks KR! You are so right about getting into ruts! That’s what is so wonderful about all the foodie bloggers out there – we get so inspired with new recipes (and that include you). Who needs the food channel for inspiration anymore? 🙂

43. Tessa September 2, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Hey MJ! Thank you for mentioning me! Your recipe for the strawberry tomato salad sounds amazing! I never thought of pairing strawberries with tomatoes. Absolutely brilliant!

44. Zsuzsa September 2, 2012 at 10:46 am #

MJ what beautiful pictures of this lovely fruity salad!

45. Michelle @ Simplify, Live, Love September 2, 2012 at 10:15 am #

That looks very tasty, MJ. I’m pinning this as a reminder to try it!! And pineapple tomatoes? I’m sticking that tidbit of info in the back of my brain for seed buying time. Sounds too good to pass up. 🙂 Have a great day.

• mj September 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks Michelle! These tomatoes are huge and SO good! Bobby and I made a lunch out of one tomato and some cheese the other day. 🙂

1. Hearth Soul Blog Hop 118:9/18/12 - Zesty South Indian Kitchen - February 2, 2016

[…] Strawberry and tomato salad from MJs Kitchen […]

2. Keep It Real Thursday - Delicious Real Food & A Movie - The Restless Palate - October 27, 2014

[…] MJ’s Kitchen […]

3. 30+ Recipes Using Preserved Lemons | MJ's Kitchen - February 6, 2014

[…] Strawberry Tomato Salad with Mint […]

4. How to Make Preserved Lemons | MJ's Kitchen - June 16, 2013

[…] Strawberry Tomato Salad with Preserved Lemons […]

5. An Assortment of Strawberry Salad Recipes | MJ's Kitchen - May 14, 2013

[…] Strawberry and Tomato with Mint […]

6. Hearth and Soul Hop – The Vegetarian Recipe Edition - September 18, 2012

[…] Strawberry and Tomato Salad […]

7. Keep It Real Thursday - Delicious Real Food & A Movie | beyondthepeel.net - September 13, 2012

[…] MJ’s Kitchen […]