Purple Yam Ice Cream by Wok With Ray

Due to a kitchen remodel I’ll be without a kitchen for a few weeks, so I’ve asked some friends to keep my virtual kitchen going with some of their fabulous recipes. This week Ray from Wok With Ray dropped by and brought me a unique and wonderful dessert.

If you have never been to Ray’s place, I’m sure you’ll be heading that way as soon as you read this post! You’ll love his Filipino-Asian dishes, and if you are like me, you’ll lust after everyone of his desserts.  And that’s why sweet Ray brought us this recipe today; because he knows how much I love his desserts.  Thank you SO MUCH my friend!

Take it away Ray!

Hi Everyone! I am Ray the guy behind Wok with Ray. I am so thrilled to be here with you at MJ’s Kitchen or should I say, just “MJ” because there is no kitchen. :)  I did a complete remodel of my own kitchen a few years ago and let me tell you, convenience is not the word of the day. I know how passionate MJ is about cooking, and for her not having a kitchen is something I can empathize. When she asked me if I would like to guest post during the remodel, I felt honored by the opportunity to not only make it a bit easier for her but the opportunity to get to know her readers and friends. Thank you very much, MJ!

What we are making today is one of my favorite flavors of Filipino ice cream, and that is “Ube Ice Cream with coconut sports.” Ube is the Filipino term for purple yam. It is a very popular ingredient for Filipino desserts mainly cakes and other baked goods. Okay, if I want to humiliate myself here at MJ’s, I will bake or should I say “try to bake.” Baking is not my thing, so we will make an ice cream. I promise it will be yummy. Purple yam jam and coconut sports (macapuno) are available in any Asian supermarkets. When buying these products, buy the most expensive ones as they have the best quality. Remember, cheap is cheap and most of the time you will get what you paid for.

Thank you all very much for letting me cook with you today and MJ, I can’t wait to see that beautiful new kitchen, my friend. :)

MJ:  Thank you Ray for making this absolutely gorgeous ice cream!  I’m ready to grab a spoon and dig in.

Tags: ,

108 Responses to “Purple Yam Ice Cream by Wok With Ray”

1. Minnie May 10, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

I can’t find purple yam jam so can I used the fresh purple yam (boiled/cooked)?

• mj May 14, 2014 at 8:00 am #

Minnie, sorry for the late reply. I’ve been out of town for more than a week and trying to catch up. If you have purple yams, then I would suggest making a purple jam. Here is a link to a Purple Yam Jam Recipe. Hope this helps.

2. christine April 11, 2013 at 9:07 am #

This looks delicious! I love ube ice cream. I dont have some ube jam on hand. Can I use the frozen purple yam instead of the yam jam? I found it in the frozen food aisle in the Filipino supermarket.

• mj April 14, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Christine, I’m going to pass your comment to Ray, the creator of this wonderful ice cream, however, a thought occurred to me that you made jam from the frozen purple yams. I’m sure you have enough for one jar, so check out the Quick and Easy Strawberry Jam on this website. I bet if you run the yams through the blender first,transfer to a pot and then add sugar and some lemon juice, you could end up with a nice jar of purple yam jam. MJ

• wok with ray April 14, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Hi Christine,

MJ is absolutely right! You can make ube jam from that frozen purple yam that you have on hand but I wouldn’t use it directly to the ice cream as it is still raw. Use a ready-made purple yam jam if you can as you can’t go wrong with it.

Thank you for your question, Christine! :)

3. Graham April 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Hi was looking at this recipe, its a flavour I remember from my childhood in Hong Kong :) I just want to know, the coconut sports preserved ingredient… if I bought sweet yam jam with it already in the jam would that make a difference, would I still need to add the coconut or would the content in the jam suffice?

many thanks in advance.

• wok with ray April 5, 2013 at 11:33 pm #

Hi Graham,

The coconut sport contents of the yam jam should suffice. The addition of coconut sport to the ice cream is just to add a hint of coconut to the flavor. For as long as the jam you are using is Yam with coconut sport and not Coconut sport with yam. :) Thank you Graham for a great question. :)

4. W March 6, 2013 at 2:08 am #

Hi! Thanks for the recipe! I love ube and the flavor of coconut, but I don’t particularly like the texture of coconut meat. Would it be okay to omit 1 cup of coconut sports and keep the rest of the recipe the same? Or do you recommend either using 2 cups of yam jam or just substituting the coconut sports with 1 cup of coconut milk? If coconut milk would be a good substitute, would that be part of Step 1 or still keep it as Step 7?

Thanks so much! :)

• wok with ray March 6, 2013 at 8:58 am #

Hi W,

I wouldn’t add coconut milk because this may alter the flavor of the purple yam as the main flavor of this ice cream. Adding coconut sport is just a little extra texture on the bite and can be omitted altogether. However, since coconut sports are sweetened preserves, you may need to compensate the sweetness by adding more condensed milk. So, taste test before you churn. Thank you for asking, W. and we’re glad to see you. :)

MJ – Thank you again, my friend!

5. Shawn February 2, 2013 at 7:07 am #

I just bought an icecream machine last week and I am on the hunt for a good ube recipe. I use to eat it everytime I went to Naha City when I lived in Okinawa. I hope this is as good as I remember. Where do I get the ube yam and coconut?

• mj February 2, 2013 at 9:34 am #

Shawn, thanks for stopping by! I’m sure you have found the perfect Ube ice cream recipe! Ray is a wonderful chef! As far as where to find the ingredients – Here’s what Ray recommends – “Purple yam jam and coconut sports (macapuno) are available in any Asian supermarkets. When buying these products, buy the most expensive ones as they have the best quality. Remember, cheap is cheap and most of the time you will get what you paid for.” Please let us know how it turns out! We’d love to hear back from you.

6. Magic of Spice November 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Wow, that is one beautiful ice cream Ray! I have never tried anything like this, but I sure want to :)

Hope your remodel is going well MJ :)

7. Amber @ The Cook's Sister October 1, 2012 at 8:05 am #

What an interesting ice cream! Love the vibrant purple colour!

8. Food Jaunts September 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

One of my absolute favs (only below corn & cheese). I love making popsicles out of these flavors, I definitely want to try my hand at an ice cream version – thanks for the post!

9. Reese@SeasonwithSpice September 17, 2012 at 10:10 am #

What a fun recipe! The color of the purple yam is just so eye-catching. May be I haven’t looked close enough at the Asian grocery here, I haven’t seen purple yam jam at the ones I’ve checked out. Purple yam reminds me of Chinese New Year since my mom will make some of her signature desserts with purple yam. I just love the flavors of yam in desserts. I bet this ice cream will be a hit in every party!

10. Tina (PinayInTexas) September 17, 2012 at 9:46 am #

My favorite ice cream flavor! Glad to see Ray here, MJ! He did an awesome guest post with very lovely clicks!

11. vianney September 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Stunning~ thanks for sharing!! My kiddos would love a HUGE scoop of this fab ice cream~

12. Lori Lynn September 16, 2012 at 10:44 am #

The color is breathtaking. Terrific guest post…
    LL

13. Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious September 15, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Oh, this looks so delightful! Who can’t resist ice-cream this gorgeous!!!

14. Dara September 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Wow this is so fantastic! I have never tried anything like this.

15. CJ at Food Stories September 12, 2012 at 9:47 am #

This dish is gorgeous. Heading over to check out more at Ray’s site now :-)

16. Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings September 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

This is a Filipino classic that I have enjoyed since childhood! I think we are the only culture with purple yam ice cream? But I may be mistaken…

17. wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Yes you could use the purple yam from your garden but you have to make the jam from scratch. You need to grate the yam, then cook it with condensed milk, and butter. It is easier to use the jam. Thank you, Norma. :)

18. Norma Chang September 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

Love the purple color. I thought I could make the ice cream with the purple yam from my garden but I see I need purple yam jam. I will have to look for it next time I visit NYC.

19. Marta@What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today September 10, 2012 at 11:50 am #

I can’t wait to see the new kitchen and I adore the color of this ice creams.

20. Shannon | Just As Delish September 10, 2012 at 10:06 am #

love yam ice cream! but your purple yam looks like a sweet potato, different from the yam I’ve seen in Malaysia

21. Anne@FromMySweetHeart September 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

WOW! Ray! This ice cream is absolutely stunning! I’ve had purple potatoes before but not purple yams! I absolutely must look for them here. What a great treat to be able to share around the holidays! Hang in there MJ! And thanks to both of you for such a wonderful guest post! : )

• wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Thank you, Anne for the kind words and I hope you are able to find purple yam to try. :)

22. Carolyn Jung September 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

The color is just mesmerizing. I love yams of any kind, so I know I would just scarf up this ice cream. ;)

23. Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Hi MJ and Ray,

Wow, those colors and wow it’s yam?!! What a fantastic treat. Thanks so much for sharing your delicious recipe with us.

• wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 10:58 am #

You are welcome, Nancy and thank you for your comment. :)

24. Suzi September 9, 2012 at 10:51 am #

It’s hard to inagine ice cream from a jam since I have never heard of it before. I would definitely give this a go, What a beautiful color. I sure wish that I had an ice cream maker, LOL. Wonderful guest post MJ. How’s the kitchen coming along?

• wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 10:58 am #

I hope you’d like it, Suzi. Thank you. :)

25. Raymund September 9, 2012 at 2:48 am #

I love this ice cream and hope to make this when I get hold of an ice cream maker.

• wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Thank you, Raymund! I am having so much fun with the ice cream maker. You should really get one. :)

26. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) September 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

It is great to see two wonderfully talented bloggers working together
    I am totally curious about the taste of this icecream..the color alone is a blast of refreshment

• wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Thank you for the kinds words, Sawsan. I think most of the talent part should go to MJ. :)

27. Giulietta | Alterkitchen September 8, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

This purple ice cream is so beautiful and, I’m sure, so tasty! I’d love it!

• wok with ray September 10, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Thank you for your compliment, Giulietta!

28. Sook September 8, 2012 at 11:14 am #

What a beautiful color!

29. Debra September 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

That is beautiful!

30. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen September 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Okay, first, I’ve never cooked with purple yams and I must find some immediately. Second, I LOVE baking with yams, they make delicious sweets. And, third, it’s fun to say “purple yam jam” :) This ice cream is gorgeous Ray, and looks so delicious. Must Pin!

• wok with ray September 8, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I really thought it’s fun to say purple yam jam, so I agree with you Valerie. Haha! Thank you for the kind words. :)

31. Minnie@thelady8home September 7, 2012 at 10:10 am #

This is UNIQUE! Wow!!!

I HAVE to buy that ice cream maker now. This looks divine. And different!!

• wok with ray September 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

It is different indeed, Minnie. Thank you for your comment. :)

32. Renee @ Tortillas and Honey September 7, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Oh, MJ and Ray, you both are stealing my heart! I was introduced to purple yam ice cream a couple months ago! I’ve been wanting to learn how to make it and now I can with this recipe! Thank you, thank you.

• wok with ray September 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

I am glad that you have tried it before. Thank you, Renee! :)

33. Baker Street September 7, 2012 at 6:37 am #

I love Ray’s blog. His recipes and pictures are just stunning! I’ve never tried purple yam ice cream but this looks absolutely incredible. Love the color too! :)

• wok with ray September 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

And I love your blog too, Anuradha. Thank you for the lovely words. :)

34. Nisa Homey September 7, 2012 at 1:08 am #

Hi Ray, nice meeting you here at MJ’s space…..wonderful guest post made more beautiful by your ice cream and its gorgeous color…

• wok with ray September 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Thank you, Nisa and it’s nice meeting you too. :)

35. Sharon | Chinese Soup Pot September 6, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

What a unique recipe! I love eating purple yams. I like using them just steamed, or to make a dessert like the purple yam dumpling. But I have never had purple yam ice cream before. Thanks Ray for sharing this!

• wok with ray September 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

You are welcome, Sharon and great to see you here at MJ’s. :)

36. Biren @ Roti n Rice September 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Love the color of your ice cream, Ray! It’s gorgeous and I am sure it is as tasty as it looks. All the best with the kitchen remodel, MJ.

• wok with ray September 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Hi Biren, nice to see you here at MJ’s. Thank you for the kind words. :)

37. ping September 6, 2012 at 10:18 am #

You’re killing me!!
    Hi MJ, thanks for the visit to my blog. I’d visited Ray earlier, saw this, came over and drooled for the 2nd time.
    Don’t mind me while I poke around a bit :)
    Btw, what’s coconut sports?

• ping September 6, 2012 at 10:23 am #

I checked out macapuno. It’s so much like a regular coconut altho I’ve never seen it before. Really interesting fruit!

• wok with ray September 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Thank you for the comment, Ping. Macapuno or coconut sport is a preserved-sweetened coconut, usually young coconut.

38. Katherine Martinelli September 6, 2012 at 9:59 am #

So gorgeous!! Wow what a wonderful ice cream flavor. Great guest post!

• wok with ray September 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Thank you for the kind words, Katherine! :)

39. Adora's Box September 6, 2012 at 7:43 am #

It is so nice to see a Filipino recipe here on MJ’s Kitchen, by the great Wok with Ray no less. How beautiful that ube ice cream looks. It melts my heart just to look at it. Good luck on the kitchen renovation. Enjoy your time off cooking MJ.

40. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Ahhhhh! Ray, your ice cream looks delicious and oh my,it’s AMAZING!!!! I love purple yam and I think the color for this ice cream is gorgeous – can’t believe a vegetable can produce such beautiful natural color, you know. MJ, I hope you are not going crazy with the remodel. Just focus on the final kitchen image… ;)

• wok with ray September 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Thank you, Nami! Like everyone, I can’t wait for MJ to finish the kitchen and get jealous. Haha! :)

41. Jeannie September 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Hi MJ! I am here from Ray’s to continue drooling over his beautiful photos and also to check out your blog! I like it so far, will scroll when I have the time, I am sneaking in during work time now:P

• mj September 6, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Thanks so much for coming over Jeannie! It’s wonderful having you here! I hope to see you again.

• wok with ray September 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Thank you for so much, Jeannie and I’m sure you will like MJ’s recipes. They’re amazing. :)

42. Renee DV September 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

This is my favorite flavor as well yum, yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe

• wok with ray September 6, 2012 at 8:04 am #

You are welcome and thank you for commenting, Renee! :)

43. Sandra's Easy Cooking September 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

What a great guest post. I am in love with those photos and recipe is fantastic too.
    MJ I hope your kitchen will be back to normal soon. Ray this is just wonderful guest post!

• wok with ray September 6, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Thank you and nice to see you here, Sandra! :)

44. LIz September 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

Wow, Ray, what a perfect bowl of ice cream! The color is just phenomenal! I will have to see if I can find some purple yams around here. MJ, hang in there…being without a kitchen gets old quickly~

45. ChgoJohn September 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

This is unusual on so many levels but that color! This needs to be made if for no tother reason to see the look in your dinner guests’ faces when you serve it. This is a great guest post!

46. kitchenriffs September 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Gosh, this is so pretty. I’ve never had purple yam before, much less in ice cream. In fact i don’t think I’ve ever had yam ice cream, although I’ve had pumpkin flavored, which I guess might be somewhat similar. The color is fantastic on this. Thanks for a terrific guest post.

• wok with ray September 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I hope you get to try it one day. Thank you for the kind words, John. :)

47. Juliana September 5, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Wow, this ice cream not only looks beautiful but sounds delicious…thanks for this guest post MJ.
    Have a wonderful week :)

• mj September 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Thank you Juliana! This is only a small taste of what Ray has to offer! Be sure to check out his site! A wonderful week to you, too!

• wok with ray September 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Thank you for your compliments, Juliana!

48. ray September 5, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Hi MJ!

Thank you soooo very much for letting me post here at your beautiful site. It is an honor to make a dish for you and your wonderful-wonderful readers. I can’t wait for that beautiful kitchen to come up and everyone to admire. Thank again, MJ!

~ ray ~

• mj September 5, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Ray – you are welcome here any time! I’ll apply the rule about guests that has always run in my family – the first time you come as a friend, the next time, you’re family. :) Thanks for such a wonderfully scrumptious dessert!!!

49. Jane September 5, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I have never heard of or seen purple yam jam – for sure something to look for! What great color!

50. Elizabeth @Mango_Queen September 5, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Chef Ray and MJ, you just made my knees weaken at the sight of ube ice cream, my most favorite flavor ever ! Thanks for sharing the recipe. This is fantastic especially if it’s homemade! Two scoops for me, please !

• wok with ray September 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

My favorite flavor too, Elizabeth and of course more scoops if you’d like. Thank you for the kind words. :)

51. Sissi September 5, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Stunning photos and extraordinary idea, Ray! You have outdone yourself. I think I will carry these images in my head for several days…

• wok with ray September 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

As always, I love you comment, Sissi. Thank you! :)

52. Tessa September 5, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Wow! What gorgeous ice cream! I love that beautiful purple color!

• wok with ray September 5, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

I’m glad you liked the color, Tessa. Thank you!

53. Ramona September 5, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Wow Ray!! This is an amazing ice cream. The color… Wow!! I would never have thought to make ice cream from a yam… but you did it and it’s fantastic. Great guest post and stunning photos! :)

MJ… can’t wait to see that kitchen. :)

• ray September 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Thank you so much for very nice compliments, Ramona! :)

• mj September 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Thanks Ramona! I can’t wait to see the kitchen either. :) It’s coming – slowly but surely.

54. Rathai September 5, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Wow! Gorgeous pictures and very tempting ice cream. I love purple yam and I can imagine its natural sweetness would work wonders in an ice cream.

• ray September 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Thank you for the kind words, Rathai.

55. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 5, 2012 at 6:11 am #

I think I may have just been transported to a different consciousness. This is exquisite.

• ray September 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Thank you, Kelly! :)

56. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 5, 2012 at 6:08 am #

Ray, this is the only ice cream I had all the time when I visited Manila years ago. Too good to eat just one scoop, you know….;-) Thanks for sharing it.

• Ray September 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Oh yes, it is sinfully good. Thank you, Angie! :)

57. Choc Chip Uru September 5, 2012 at 5:21 am #

This purple ice cream looks incredible my friend, the flavour of yam in Ice cream is so novel :)

Choc Chip Uru

• Ray September 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Thank you very much for the kind words.

1. Purple Yam Ice Cream | FOODIPINO™ - April 15, 2013

[...] was also my post at MJ’s Kitchen. My friend MJ invited me to guest post at her beautiful site when she literally renovated her [...]

2. Purple Yam Ice Cream | wokwithray.net- Filipino & Asian Home Style Cooking - September 5, 2012

[...] you — You will be amazed on how her passion for cooking reflects on her delicious recipes. MJ’s Kitchen is undergoing a complete makeover, and of course during the process, she is not able to cook for [...]