Recipe Ideas for the Long Weekend

Here in the U.S. we have a long weekend coming up; therefore, I thought I would provide some easy recipes from my archives that will allow you to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying family and friends!

Huevos Rancheros

Roasted Bell Pepper Spread

Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer with toast

Orzo Salad with Preserved Lemons

Grilled Flank Steak

Carrot and Raisin Salad

Fennel Infused Onions

Stack of onion, fennel fronds, and olive oil

Sweet Cucumber Drink

Soy Ginger Grilled Chicken

Grilled soy chicken thighs

Mango Jicama Salad

Salad with mango, pickled cucumbers and bell peppers

Easy Green Chile Stew

Have a great weekend!

This post has been shared with Full Plate Thursday.

37 Responses to “Recipe Ideas for the Long Weekend”

1. Bill Harris September 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Hi MJ,

I just happened across your blog and It’s one of the most visually appealing and well organized blogs I’ve seen. I just started my blog about a month ago and I’m having a great time with it. I’ve enjoyed looking at what’s out there and your site really caught my eye. Love your photography and the well-rounded recipes. Great job. I’ll be following you!

Bill Harris

2. Terra September 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

I remember when I first moved to Tucson. I looked at a menu at what is now my favorite Mexican restaurant, and was like WHAT is Huevos Rancheros? 🙂 I now know it is soooooo delicious! Your recipe looks so wonderful….actually all your recipes really made me hungry, they look fantastic! Hugs, Terra

3. Minnie@thelady8home September 2, 2012 at 9:21 am #

What incredible options!!! Love each of them. The fennel infused onions look so different and delicate! Awesome!!! I think I am ready for a sweet cucumber drink too!

4. Lori Lynn August 31, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Hi MJ! Great compilation of photos. So tasty and colorful!
    I have some preserved lemons in the fridge, going to go take a look at your orzo recipe…
    Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend too.
    LL

5. wok with ray August 31, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Thank you for this line up of Labor Day weekend yummies! For some reason, I can’t keep my eyes off that “carrot and raisin salad with the fried catfish on the background” and I’m not sure why. ;=)

May you and Bobby have a great and safe long weekend holiday, my friend!

~ ray ~

• mj August 31, 2012 at 10:39 am #

You’re so cute! 🙂 I tell you what – if I had a kitchen, I’d be frying me up some catfish this weekend! I am planning on making the carrot & raisin salad! Have a wonderful weekend Darlin!

6. Miz Helen August 31, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Hi MJ,
    What a great Labor Day Round Up, I am coming to your house, it looks delicious! Hope you have a great holiday weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

7. Food Jaunts August 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Nice recipe lineup – I’m still loving those huevos rancheros!

8. Nava Krishnan August 30, 2012 at 7:38 am #

All of it looks so good except for the beef. Nothing is wrong with the way recipe, just that we don’t eat beef. Definitely will recommend to my friends who enjoy eating beef.

9. Sissi August 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Thank you for so many wonderful and so different ideas! I cannot believe I have almost missed this precious post.

10. kitchenriffs August 29, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Nice roundup of recipes! They all look great, but you’ve reminded me it’s been way too long since I’ve had huevos rancheros. Good stuff. I’m looking forward to the long weekend – thanks for all the inspiration.

11. Rathai August 29, 2012 at 6:20 am #

I like each and every one of those dishes. Your food is always beautifully presented, hearty and inviting. Good thing you posted from the archive, because I don’t recall seeing these posts.

12. Baker Street August 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

I think the cucumber drink, mango salad and huevos rancheros would be the perfect weekend!

13. Zsuzsa August 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

What tantalizing photos! I love them all, but the mango salad especially

• mj August 31, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Thanks Zsuzsa! Yes, the mango salad is one of our favorites!

14. Priya's Now Serving August 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

We are spoilt for choices dear – love all the veggie options 🙂

15. Debra August 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

I am craving all of these dishes now. (Can you tell I have not made dinner yet?)

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Honestly my holiday will be perfect if all of your delicious meals are served. Hehee. 🙂 I’m excited for the long weekend. I need some break from adjusting to back to school routine. LOL. Hope all is well with you MJ!

• mj August 30, 2012 at 9:09 am #

thanks Nami! Yes, you do need some down time! Hope you have a restful weekend!

17. Hotly Spiced August 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

I’ve heard you have a public holiday this weekend. Labor day? Love the look of all these dishes. The cucumber drink looks very refreshing.

• mj August 30, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Thanks HS! Yep – Labor Day, but looks like we’ll be laboring. Going to be painting the kitchen! 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend!

18. Swathi August 28, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

All are great recipes Mj. Once you get new kitchen you are going make more and more beautiful recipes,

19. vianney August 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

All great recipes!! loving the orzo salad, putting on my weekend list! have a great week!

20. Angie@Angie's Recipes August 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Thank you for this delicious round up! Love each of them.

21. Treat and Trick August 28, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Thanks for sharing those amazing food. They all look delectable!

22. France @ Beyond The Peel August 28, 2012 at 10:06 am #

That’s going to be an amazing weekend. Can I come.

23. Tina (PinayInTexas) August 28, 2012 at 10:04 am #

Nice round up, MJ! Love them all, but most especially the flank steak and orzo salad! Wishing you a fun labor day weekend!

24. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) August 28, 2012 at 9:52 am #

So many great ideas! I esp. love the steak and the infused onions!!

25. Dara August 28, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I love all these increcible options! Especially that mango salad. Great post.

26. Linda August 28, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Wonderful round up of ideas! This is great, like one stop shopping for menu planning!

27. ChgoJohn August 28, 2012 at 6:52 am #

This is such a great round-up! Some old favorites and great new recipes, all in one place. I’ve already pined the Huevos recipe. I lived near a family-owned Mexican diner and it wasn’t Saturday if I didn’t get my huevos rancheros. I cannot wait to give this recipe a try! Thanks!

• mj August 30, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Thanks John! I hope you enjoy the Huevos! It’s our favorite weekend brunch!

28. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles August 28, 2012 at 6:12 am #

Thank you for these delightful reminders MJ – everything looks so fresh and delicious. I haven’t had orzo in ages… we’re heading up to the lake for a last summer hurrah before the boys start school after labour day; this gives me plenty of inspiration! Hope the kitchen renos are going well :).

• mj August 30, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Thanks Kelly! That orzo salad makes a great dish for trips to the lake! It can be served hot or cold. Bobby eats it right out of the fridge. It also heats up nicely in the microwave. Have a marvelous weekend at the lake!

29. Choc Chip Uru August 28, 2012 at 12:28 am #

I can’t choose one, I want all 😀

Choc Chip Uru

30. Tessa August 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

All of your dishes look fabulous! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

31. Ramona August 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

I’d like to try all of them. 🙂 That orzo salad looks especially good. 🙂 Hope you’re off to a good week! 🙂