Southern Fried Catfish and Carrot Raisin Salad – Picnic @ Ray’s

Crispy southern fried catfish fillets

Today we’re taking a couple of virtual road trips. Our first trip is over to Wok With Ray where I’m doing a Friend’s Post and where you’ll meet Ray (if you haven’t already), a great blogger friend, and a wonderful chef and caterer. Ray features some of the most amazing Filipino and Asian dishes and his photography is beautiful! In May I gave you a taste of his Sweet and Garlicky Pork Chops in my Celebration of Garlic post. Because of Ray I’ve become very curious about Flipino adobo. It’s a new dish for me, but it’s my kind of dish in that it’s relative easy to make and obviously quite tasty. I can’t wait to get some pork belly and green beans so I can make his Green Bean Adobo.  I know you’re going to enjoy visiting Ray’s house and going through all of his wonderful recipes. Be sure to check out his desserts.  They’re incredible!

Our second trip is to Black Lake, a lake in north Louisiana where I learned to fish and which supplied my family with all of the catfish and bluegill (bream) that we could eat. Once there I’ll be serving up a picnic with Fried Catfish and Carrot & Raisin Salad.

So head over to Wok With Ray and dig in.

If you’re going to make fried catfish, you’re going to need a Carrot & Raisin Salad.  This isn’t the typical southern carrot & raisin salad which is made with mayonnaise and honey.  This salad uses a simple dressing of orange juice, honey and Dijon.  Very light and just as tasty.

Carrot and Raisin salad with no mayonnaise

My fried catfish and carrot & raisin salad recipes have been linked to the following blog hops.  Summer Salad Sunday, Mix It Up Monday!, My Meatless Monday, Hearth & Soul, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Frugal Foods Thursday, Keep It Real Thursday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Made With Luv Mondays, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Mom’s Test Meal Monday, Katherine Martinelli’s Fried Food Hop

Tags: , , ,

61 Responses to “Southern Fried Catfish and Carrot Raisin Salad – Picnic @ Ray’s”

1. Biren @ Roti n Rice July 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Love the looks of your fried catfish and salad. Off to Ray’s to check out your virtual roadtrips. :)

2. Treat and Trick July 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

That platter looks awesome! Off to check Ray’s site..

3. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry July 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Can’t say I’ve had catfish before, but it sure does look good.

4. Charles July 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Gorgeous looking fish… I always forget, is catfish the really ugly thing with the big, sad looking mouth? Must go look it up… regardless of whether it is or not, it’s definitely very tasty!

I have to admit, I’m not familiar with Filipino cooking at all… I’ll be heading over to Ray’s to check it all out :)

• mj July 10, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Thanks Charles! Yes, catfish are the really ugly things with the big, sad looking mouths!! :) They also have a spiked fin that can stab you and hurt like hell if you’re not careful! I hated handling them, but glad I learned how.

5. spiceblogger July 9, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Beautiful fried fish! I have some fresh redfish gifted to me by a fisherman friend. Think I’ll have to try your fried recipe! ;)

6. Sissi July 9, 2012 at 1:32 am #

It looks gorgeous, MJ. A perfect dish for a sunny day. I cannot remember the last time I had catfish… I was a child.

7. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles July 8, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

What a colourful plate – I love how the light is hitting the carrot salad and illuminating your cold frosty (which I note is not nearly as *huge* as the one I showcased in my post ;-)). I’m heading out on your virtual road trip…

8. mj July 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks everyone for your great comments! I hope you enjoy the recipes and while you’re there – be sure to check out Ray’s desserts. A little something sweet after this meal is perfect!

9. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef July 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

That looks great.. on my way over to Ray’s now. :)

10. Jessica July 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

That is delicious southern goodness on a plate Mj! Hope you had a wonderful 4th!

11. Anne@FromMySweetHeart July 8, 2012 at 11:26 am #

This looks absolutely fabulous, MJ! Heading over to check out the post now. (And you KNOW I’ll be checking out Ray’s desserts, too!)

12. kitchenriffs July 8, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Fried cat fish is great stuff! And carrot salads can be heaven. I’m off to Ray’s to check this out . . .

13. Raymund July 8, 2012 at 2:53 am #

I havent eaten catfish for a long time now, I am not sure if its even sold here in NZ

14. love2dine July 8, 2012 at 2:01 am #

You make everything look so awesome here is another example just lovely!

15. vianney July 7, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

LOVE~~ I have the privilege of frying my catfish in the same cast iron Dutch oven that Mama used for over 50 years, the taste and experience is pretty much the same.

vianney

16. vianney July 7, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

heading over, yay!!

17. Food Jaunts July 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Read it over at Ray’s but wanted to leave a comment here – your fried catfish looks fantastic! So crispy and tasty. And you’re so lucky to still have your mom’s cast iron. My family keeps asking me why all my pots and pans are “so heavy” (i.e. they’re cast iron) and I told them it’s because one day *hopefully* my grandkids will be using it.

• mj July 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks! Cast iron is something that can get passed down from one generation to another. One of my nieces has already claimed the Dutch oven! :)

18. Liz July 7, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Wow, such yummy looking fried fish! Off to visit your guest post~

19. Angie@Angie's Recipes July 7, 2012 at 5:50 am #

MJ, this is a terrific guest post. I too a fan of Ray’s recipes. Off to check this out.

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 7, 2012 at 12:55 am #

Who hoo! Love Ray’s blog, and can’t wait to see your post. Heading over now.

21. CJ at Food Stories July 7, 2012 at 12:08 am #

Heading over to check it out :-)

22. Tessa July 6, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Lovely catfish and your carrot raisin salad looks so delicious! Nicely done!

23. wok with ray July 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Thank you very much for making and sharing this wonderful meal at Wok with Ray, MJ. You are a great cook and a wonderful, wonderful friend posting. Thank you so much!!! :)

~ ray ~

• mj July 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Thank YOU Ray! Thanks for the support and all of the nice comments throughout the whole process. You’re a joy to work with! Hope you’re having a fabulous weekend!

24. Nads July 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

SO YOU’RE THE ONE THAT GOT THE DUTCH OVEN!!!! I’m glad someone got it that appreciates it. I got the deep skillet with a lid – almost as good. I love the little twists you put on traditional recipes to make them extra special. What a coincidence! Jim and I went out for lunch today and I had fried catfish and carrot and raisin salad. I was surprised to see it on the menu. Unfortunately, it didn’t taste much like Mama’s and I’m sure nothing like yours. The carrots were soggy and it had so much liquid in it that it ran all over the plate and got the fish wet. Downer! I am really glad that you are getting to share your wonderful talent with such a broad audience. Keep on keeping on.

• mj July 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

:) :) :) Yes, I got the Dutch Oven! :) Glad to see that you got the skillet! That is strange to see this on a restaurant menu. Sorry it wasn’t satisfying. Bobby and I treat ourselves to this plate of delicious a few times a year. In the fall, it’s fried green tomatoes! :) Hope you and J are having a great weekend and thanks for the comments Sis.

25. Juliana July 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Nice meeting you MJ, just came form Ray’s. Wonderful meal…
    Have a great weekend MJ :)

• mj July 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

Juliana – thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again! Hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

26. Cucina49 July 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

That catfish is really gorgeous! Heading over to Ray’s site to see how it’s done.

27. Reem | Simply Reem July 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Road trip..That too virtual, I am on!!
    These look fabulous, I am off to check ur guest post!!

28. Jane July 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

I think it is awesome you have the same pot your mom used … that in itself is amazing! Looks fabulous, and nice to hear about your roots!

29. Ramona July 6, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Virtual road trips… sounds great!! :) I love a good fried catfish and the carrot raisin salad sounds like a perfect compliment! Have a wonderful weekend my friend. :)

30. Choc Chip Uru July 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

This is a stunning fish my friend, I love the presentation and mix of flavours :D
    Off to check out the fabulous guest post!

CCU

1. Fish Recipes for Lent - February 15, 2013

[...] Basil Catfish Southern Fried Catfish Broiled Catfish with Artichokes and [...]

2. Allergy-Free Wednesday, Week 27 - July 24, 2012

[...] Carrot and Raisin Salad by MJ’s Kitchen [...]

3. Gurken Salat {German Cucumber Salad} | Simplify, Live, Love - July 12, 2012

[...] if you have too many carrots, I highly recommend MJ’s Carrot & Raisin Salad. I made it too! And I’m drooling over her catfish. I will be making it [...]