Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream

Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream #recipe @MJsKitchen

Do you remember my Salted Pecan Bark from a few weeks ago?  It was SO good, but even I can get too much of a good thing.  So to change things up a bit, I converted the bark recipe into an ice cream recipe.  Oh my!  Another big mistake!  Bobby kept telling me that I had to make one more batch before he was sure that the recipe was perfect. :)  As a result I’ve made four batches of this ice cream in the past 2 weeks!  He finished off the fourth batch last night and asked “More please?”.

Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream #recipe @MJsKitchen

Let’s talk about those four batches.

Batch 1 – This first batch was absolutely delicious BUT…one serving provided my calorie and salt intake for the week.  A friend who was visiting at the time described it as a frozen chocolate mousse – extremely creamy and rich, but a little too salty. Here’s the recipe:  1 cup milk chocolate morsels, 2 ounces of dark chocolate, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 cup half and half, 1/4 cup pecans, 1/2 tsp. sea salt.  So if you want an ice cream that is very rich and creamy and you can handle the calories, this is it. Just be sure to decrease the salt.

Batch 2 – Went in the opposite direction and exchanged out the half and half with 1% milk, decreased the morsels to 1/2 cup and the salt to 1/4 tsp.  Better, but a little TOO far in the opposite direction.

Batch 3 – Changed the milk chocolate morsels to semi-sweet and used 2% milk.  Perfect!

Batch 4 – Same as batch 3.  Perfect!

Eggs – This doesn’t have any eggs so can it really be called ice cream?  I’m not sure, but whatever it’s called, it’s still good!

Microwave or double broiler – According to a comment from the Salted Pecan Bark post, a microwave works just as good as a double broiler to melt the chocolate.  I’m sure it would work for this recipe as well.

I’ve added this ice cream to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more delicious recipes!

Ice Cream Blog Hop, Gallery of Favorites, Mix It Up Monday!, My Meatless Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Whole Food Wednesdays, Michelle’s Creative Thursday, Ice Cream Week Lindy Party, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Made With Love Mondays .

This ice cream was feature at the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop in July 2012.

Tags: , , ,

62 Responses to “Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream”

1. Aurica February 21, 2014 at 6:28 am #

an interesting combination and very delicious one, everybody gonna love this salted pecan ice cream, even if they on a diet :D

2. Sally September 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Finally got around to making this. Thoroughly enjoyed it! This is a keeper.

3. Javelin Warrior July 29, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Wow, this is so easy to make and sounds so perfect, MJ! I love the combination of chocolate with salty nuts – and pecans sound so good. This is a perfect frozen summer treat for sure. I’m fascinated with the use of the maple syrup which I’ve never tried to use with ice cream before…

4. Ice Cream Magic July 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Thanks for the recipe. It seems like such a wonderful taste to try. Nice post.

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Thanks!!

5. Carole March 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Salt and chocolate – fantastic. Thanks for joining in the Food on Friday fun. Cheers

6. Danijela August 25, 2012 at 6:00 am #

I saw this recipe in a link up party and had to check it out. It surely looks delicious. Great work!

7. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) August 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Yepp-there’s such a thing as eggless ice cream :) This looks declicious-I love the idea of pairing dark chocolate with salted pecans, sweet & salty :)

8. fati's recipes July 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

YUM YUM YUUUMMM! I wish it was summer here, so I’d have an excuse to make this… Because it definitely looks edible no matter what season it is! :D

9. Beth @ Aunt B's Kitchen July 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

This looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing it.

10. April @ The 21st Century Housewife July 6, 2012 at 9:53 am #

My husband and son love it when I’m recipe testing too! Your salted pecan chocolate ice cream sounds divine. I was so interested to read about the variations you tried before you got the one that was just right.

11. brighteyedbaker July 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

This sounds amazing! I’m not normally one to choose Chocolate Ice Cream, although I love all things chocolate, but the addition of pecans and sea salt makes me want to try this one. It’s still ice cream without the eggs; it’s just Philadelphia style ice cream rather than French style. ;)

12. Carole July 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Great post. I found a swiss chocolate called a taste of salt recently and it was just yummy

I found you via Whole Food Wednesday. I linked in a post about spicy mince lettuce cups. Have a great week.

13. Ishita S. July 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Wow, this looks perfect — I don’t blame your family for wanting more!!

14. Marie@citronlimette July 2, 2012 at 6:14 am #

Sounds so refreshing and delicious. Great pictures. Thank you!

15. Magic of Spice July 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Oh my, how I would love to be your taste tester….I may have asked for just a few more batches….you know, just to be sure ;) Simply delightful!

16. Food Jaunts July 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

So my ice cream maker just came in the mail…and this looks like the perfect recipe to christen it! Bookmarked and ready to go.

17. Winelady Cooks July 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Just hopped over from Gallery of Favorites. Your recipe sounds delicious and I’ll have to try it — I’ve been making dairy free ‘ice cream’ and it’s definitely not ‘ice cream’. For me as long as there is cream in the recipe I consider it ‘ice cream’.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe,
    Joanne

18. Jen at The Three Little Piglets June 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

That ,might just be the perfect ice cream flavor! No wonder you’ve made it 4 times already! I’m quite the sucker for chocolates with something a little salty to balance it out.

19. Karen (Back Road Journal) June 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Butter pecan ice cream has always been my choice on ice cream. Now I think I might have a new favorite.

20. kankana June 26, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Ice cream is not one of my fav treat but there are very few type that I love. One being chocolate and another with pecan in it :)

21. Celeste June 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Oh MY….This looks incredible!!!

22. Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

Chocolate plus maple plus pecans plus sea salt? This is just too perfect for words! And I think the photos say it all – I’m completely starving now! :)

23. Suzi June 26, 2012 at 10:05 am #

MJ, how rich and creamy this ice cream looks. I wish I had an ice cream maker to whip some up. I have tried without one and it just doesn’t get it, LOL. I see pecans in that bowl, yum.

24. France @ Beyond The Peel June 26, 2012 at 9:22 am #

MJ, I have no doubt that you went through 4 batches in 2 weeks! hahaha it sounds ridiculously good. I just has salted caramel and ice cream over the weekend and it was insane. The added chocolate will make this quite the treat!

25. Donna @ The Slow Roasted Italian June 26, 2012 at 9:18 am #

This looks amazing! I am craving ice cream now.

26. Viviane Bauquet Farre June 26, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Yum, MJ. Personally, I’m a big fan of salty icecream flavors. This is a very elegant combination of flavors and just the perfect treat to end a summer barbecue. Very alluring!

27. peachkins June 26, 2012 at 3:53 am #

this is so tempting!! something that my daughter and my nieces will love!

28. cookingrookie June 26, 2012 at 2:56 am #

This ice cream must be absolutely delicious! Thank you for your perseverance in testing – so much experimentation for a perfect ice cream recipe :-) If you are looking for volunteers to participate in future testing – I’m in!
    And I did not know that by definition ice cream was supposed to have eggs. I think ice cream that I made did not…

29. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 25, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

LOL. Bobby and I can relate. I’d be asking for 5th batch just to make sure everything is okay…. double and triple check! I always enjoy reading your Tips and I enjoyed even more for today’s post reading about the adventure with this recipe. Looks so delicious!!!! I have to make ice cream with cherry after this green tea ice cream batch is over. I have to try yours after that!!!

• mj June 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Thanks Nami! You just reminded me that I wanted to make a green tea ice cream! Need to check out your site for the recipe! Thanks for the reminder. Green tea ice cream is one of my favorites!

30. anh@anhsfoodblog.com June 25, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

I love chocolate and salted nuts. This combo is calling me! Now I will patiently wait for summer!

31. Kitty June 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

How funny about making 4 batches in two weeks!! It does look and sound sooooo good!! Thanks for sharing.

32. Purabi Naha June 25, 2012 at 9:04 am #

I am sure this sea salt is going to do wonders to this ice cream. The way you combined the ingredients to create this icecream is praiseworthy and I am drooling already! Put in one word, this is simply “awesome”!!

33. kitchenriffs June 25, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I enjoyed reading about the recipe iterations – always fun to learn more about recipe development. That first batch sounds awfully good, though! And I have some pecans in the freezer that I was planning on turning into a savory snack, but I might have to steal just a few for this! Good recipe, great photos – thanks.

• mj June 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Thanks KR! There’s not a thing wrong with Batch 1! When I really feel l like splurging and not worrying about the calories, I will make it again! That’s one reason why I didn’t overwrite it. It was TOO good!

34. Treat and Trick June 25, 2012 at 5:47 am #

Great photos and love this fantastic treat!

35. Michi June 25, 2012 at 3:00 am #

Oooh, this looks sooo good! Mmmmm, I love homemade ice cream! I’m definitely putting this recipe in my bookmarkers. :)

36. Raymund June 25, 2012 at 2:39 am #

I love adding salt to ice creams as well it adds a nice contrasting flavour to the sweetness of it, love this one

37. Choc Chip Uru June 25, 2012 at 1:22 am #

This ice cream reminds me of pecan pie for some reason :D
    Delish!

Choc Chip Uru

38. The Wimpy Vegetarian June 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

I’ve made ice cream with and without eggs – and in my book it’s still great ice cream. This looks just delicious!!

39. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry June 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

I am adding this to my pinterest board… yum.

40. Jane June 24, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Oh my gosh! Delish! I love that it doesn’t have eggs in it, sounds soooo good!

41. love2dine June 24, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Oh my goodness…. can I please have that!

42. Liz June 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Mmmmmmmmm….what gorgeous ice cream! I’d have to make it nut free for my picky family, but I really, really want a bowl of yours as is :)

43. vianney June 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

I’m still dreamng of that bark but. converting it into a ice cream ~ dreamy!!

44. Sissi June 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Another gorgeous ice-cream! I think tomorrow will be my Italian ice-cream shop day ;-) Your creations tempt me too much. I love sweet and salty combination too.

45. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen June 23, 2012 at 11:30 am #

Why oh why do we crave sweet, salty things so much? One of the great mysteries of life. I want to curl up on my couch with a blanket and a bowl of this goodness. Yum!

• mj June 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I don’t know, but I LOVE sweet and salty!!!! Thanks Valerie!

46. Soni June 23, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Love the salted pecans and chocolate combo!!Awesome flavors and sure looks like a winner!I HAVE to get an ice-cream maker fast :)

47. Baker Street June 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

So creamy, so delicious! Love the combination of salted pecans and chocolate morsels! :)

48. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

I’m so hungry for this right now. I had promised myself a week without ice cream but I’m weakening fast.

49. Charles June 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Aw, I don’t know – batch one sounds amazing by your description… frozen chocolate mousse… mmmmm :D I’ve never made my own ice-cream before. Really want an ice-cream maker but I just have no space for it… sigh :(

• mj June 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Thanks Charles! Batch 1 was AMAZING, but since I had the feeling we would be eating A LOT of this ice cream combo, I had to come up with something that didn’t totally destroy my never ending diet! :)

50. Cucina49 June 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

MJ, this looks awesome! I love desserts that have just a hair of salt in them to temper the sweet.

51. Tessa June 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Sounds so delicious! Beautiful photo too!

52. Dee at Deelicious Sweets June 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Bobby sounds just like my husband. He tells the kids that he has to try their desserts to make sure they aren’t poisoned! This looks fabulous.

53. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 22, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Very smooth and creamy!

54. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 22, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Ah, the perfect warm weather parallel to your delicious bark (I sure do remember!). I don’t have an ice cream maker but no matter. I think I can still whip this up with yogurt or use a quality vanilla ice cream as the base for these ingredients. Looks fabulously refreshing and moreish MJ! (love the melting chocolate ;-)).

• mj June 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Thanks Kelly! I love the idea of whipping it up with some yogurt! Bet that WOULD be good!

55. Ramona June 22, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I would lick the bowl clean!! What a perfect combination of salty and sweet!! Have a great weekend!! stay cool. :)

1. Peach Pecan Ice Cream | MJ's Kitchen - July 30, 2013