Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream

Do you remember my Salted Pecan Bark from a few weeks ago?  It was SO good, but even I can get too much of a good thing.  So to change things up a bit, I converted the bark recipe into an ice cream recipe.  Oh my!  Another big mistake!  Bobby kept telling me that I had to make one more batch before he was sure that the recipe was perfect. :)  As a result I’ve made four batches of this ice cream in the past 2 weeks!  He finished off the fourth batch last night and asked “More please?”.

Let’s talk about those four batches.

Batch 1 – This first batch was absolutely delicious BUT…one serving provided my calorie and salt intake for the week.  A friend who was visiting at the time described it as a frozen chocolate mousse – extremely creamy and rich, but a little too salty. Here’s the recipe:  1 cup milk chocolate morsels, 2 ounces of dark chocolate, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 cup half and half, 1/4 cup pecans, 1/2 tsp. sea salt.  So if you want an ice cream that is very rich and creamy and you can handle the calories, this is it. Just be sure to decrease the salt.

Batch 2 – Went in the opposite direction and exchanged out the half and half with 1% milk, decreased the morsels to 1/2 cup and the salt to 1/4 tsp.  Better, but a little TOO far in the opposite direction.

Batch 3 – Changed the milk chocolate morsels to semi-sweet and used 2% milk.  Perfect!

Batch 4 – Same as batch 3.  Perfect!

Eggs – This doesn’t have any eggs so can it really be called ice cream?  I’m not sure, but whatever it’s called, it’s still good!

Microwave or double broiler – According to a comment from the Salted Pecan Bark post, a microwave works just as good as a double broiler to melt the chocolate.  I’m sure it would work for this recipe as well.

I’ve added this ice cream to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more delicious recipes!

Ice Cream Blog Hop, Gallery of Favorites, Mix It Up Monday!, My Meatless Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth and Soul, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Whole Food Wednesdays, Michelle’s Creative Thursday, Ice Cream Week Lindy Party, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Made With Love Mondays .

This ice cream was feature at the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop in July 2012.

Tags: , , ,

62 Responses to “Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream”

1. Aurica February 21, 2014 at 6:28 am #

an interesting combination and very delicious one, everybody gonna love this salted pecan ice cream, even if they on a diet :D

2. Sally September 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Finally got around to making this. Thoroughly enjoyed it! This is a keeper.

3. Javelin Warrior July 29, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Wow, this is so easy to make and sounds so perfect, MJ! I love the combination of chocolate with salty nuts – and pecans sound so good. This is a perfect frozen summer treat for sure. I’m fascinated with the use of the maple syrup which I’ve never tried to use with ice cream before…

4. Ice Cream Magic July 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Thanks for the recipe. It seems like such a wonderful taste to try. Nice post.

• mj July 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

Thanks!!

5. Carole March 12, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Salt and chocolate – fantastic. Thanks for joining in the Food on Friday fun. Cheers

6. Danijela August 25, 2012 at 6:00 am #

I saw this recipe in a link up party and had to check it out. It surely looks delicious. Great work!

7. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) August 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Yepp-there’s such a thing as eggless ice cream :) This looks declicious-I love the idea of pairing dark chocolate with salted pecans, sweet & salty :)

8. fati's recipes July 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

YUM YUM YUUUMMM! I wish it was summer here, so I’d have an excuse to make this… Because it definitely looks edible no matter what season it is! :D

9. Beth @ Aunt B's Kitchen July 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

This looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing it.

10. April @ The 21st Century Housewife July 6, 2012 at 9:53 am #

My husband and son love it when I’m recipe testing too! Your salted pecan chocolate ice cream sounds divine. I was so interested to read about the variations you tried before you got the one that was just right.

11. brighteyedbaker July 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

This sounds amazing! I’m not normally one to choose Chocolate Ice Cream, although I love all things chocolate, but the addition of pecans and sea salt makes me want to try this one. It’s still ice cream without the eggs; it’s just Philadelphia style ice cream rather than French style. ;)

12. Carole July 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Great post. I found a swiss chocolate called a taste of salt recently and it was just yummy

I found you via Whole Food Wednesday. I linked in a post about spicy mince lettuce cups. Have a great week.

13. Ishita S. July 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Wow, this looks perfect — I don’t blame your family for wanting more!!

14. Marie@citronlimette July 2, 2012 at 6:14 am #

Sounds so refreshing and delicious. Great pictures. Thank you!

15. Magic of Spice July 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Oh my, how I would love to be your taste tester….I may have asked for just a few more batches….you know, just to be sure ;) Simply delightful!

16. Food Jaunts July 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

So my ice cream maker just came in the mail…and this looks like the perfect recipe to christen it! Bookmarked and ready to go.

17. Winelady Cooks July 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Just hopped over from Gallery of Favorites. Your recipe sounds delicious and I’ll have to try it — I’ve been making dairy free ‘ice cream’ and it’s definitely not ‘ice cream’. For me as long as there is cream in the recipe I consider it ‘ice cream’.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe,
    Joanne

18. Jen at The Three Little Piglets June 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

That ,might just be the perfect ice cream flavor! No wonder you’ve made it 4 times already! I’m quite the sucker for chocolates with something a little salty to balance it out.

19. Karen (Back Road Journal) June 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Butter pecan ice cream has always been my choice on ice cream. Now I think I might have a new favorite.

20. kankana June 26, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Ice cream is not one of my fav treat but there are very few type that I love. One being chocolate and another with pecan in it :)

1. Peach Pecan Ice Cream | MJ's Kitchen - July 30, 2013