Orange Ginger Chicken Salad

Pan fried chicken with fresh vegetables and a ginger vinaigrette

June is here and it’s HOT!  The oven is officially off for the next 3 to 4 months, so meals are either grilled, cooked on the cooktop or not cooked at all.  Neither Bobby nor I like eating hot or heavy meals in the summertime. We eat lots and lots of salads and this Orange Ginger Chicken Salad is one of our summer staples.  The chicken breasts are pan fried on the cooktop and the rest of the salad is washed, chopped and plated.  A simple dressing with crystallized ginger and orange juice is poured over the top and voilà!  We have a healthy, hearty, and very tasty meal.

Pan fried chicken breast with assorted vegetables and ginger dressing

The vegetables – The vegetables for this salad can be just about anything that is in season.  Some vegetables like asparagus should be steamed or blanched.  Here are some other vegetables and fruits that work quite well.

•  asparagus (blanched and chilled)
  •  green beans (blanched and chilled)
  • broccoli
  • cucumber
  • sliced apple
  • orange wedges
  • chopped sweet onion
  • Fennel infused onion, chopped
  • raw spinach
  • snow peas

The chicken – Two whole chickens breast could actually serve four people, one-half breast per serving.  That’s probably closer to serving guidelines.  For the two of  us, I can actually stretch 2 breasts to make a nice dinner and light lunch.

Vegetarian version – I haven’t tried it but I would imagine that tofu marinated in the dressing then grilled would be a perfect protein for this salad.  So for all my vegetarian readers – Would that work?

If you like this salad, then you’ll probably like these as well.

Spicy Bean Salad – Chipotle beans, avocado, tomato, olives and feta cheese

Chicken Salad in a Cantaloupe ringChicken and Cantaloupe Salad – A simple chicken salad served in a cantaloupe ring.

For more recipes that use Crystallized Ginger, check out Weekend Potluck, Summer Salad Sunday!, Mix It Up Monday, Made From Scratch Monday, Hearth and Soul, Whole Food Wednesdays, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, Whole Foods Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, The Recipe Box, Fat Tuesday

This Ginger Chicken and Vegetable Salad was featured on Carole’s Chatter Salad Inspiration

Tags: , , ,

53 Responses to “Orange Ginger Chicken Salad”

1. Carole July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Great that you linked in, thanks. have a good one
    I’ll take the duplicate link out for you

• mj July 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Thanks so much for inviting me Carole! I’ve bookmarked your hop!

2. Carole July 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

The subject of this week’s Food on Friday is Salad. It would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . I found this through Full Plate Thursday

3. Elsa June 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Yum! This meal looks delicious! Our oven is officially off for a while too. I miss fresh baked bread, but I do love all of the grilled food we’ve been having lately. :) I look forward to trying out your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing with Hearth and Soul!

4. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food June 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

This looks wonderful! Love the crunchy veges with the chicken, and the dressing sounds so tasty. Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

5. Miz Helen June 21, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Hi MJ,
    Your Orange Ginger Chicken Salad looks delicious. The dressing looks like it will have so much flavor, we are going to love this salad. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

6. Rachel June 20, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Wow! That looks so tasty! The dressing sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

7. Mary Hudak-Colllins June 18, 2012 at 11:13 am #

I’m drooling over my keyboard! This looks fabulous! I know what you mean about eating light through the summer. It does seem to make ‘taking the heat’ a little easier. Thanks for sharing this week in our recipe hop ☺

8. Vicki Bensinger June 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Such a beautiful salad especially combined with all those colorful veggies. The perfect meal for a hot summers day. Love the dressing. Thanks for sharing.

9. Chaya June 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Please come visit and while you are there, pick up a well deserve award.

• mj June 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Thank you SO much Chaya!

10. wok with ray June 15, 2012 at 11:27 am #

I love the additon of jicama as it adds more crunch to the salad. I’ve never seen nor heard of crystalized ginger until now. Is that something I can buy from regular supermarket? Your salad looks fresh and light. Have a great weekend, MJ!

~ ray ~

• mj June 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks Ray! I can get crystallized ginger at my local supermarkets. It’s usually found in the dried fruit section. Be warned – it’s great right out of the bag and can be addicting! Hope you find some. You’ll love it!