Orange Ginger Chicken Salad

Pan seared chicken with fresh vegetables and a ginger vinaigrette

June is here and it’s HOT!  The oven is officially off for the next 3 to 4 months, so meals are either grilled, cooked on the cooktop or not cooked at all.  Neither Bobby nor I like eating hot or heavy meals in the summertime. We eat lots and lots of salads and this Orange Ginger Chicken Salad is one of our summer staples.  The chicken breasts are pan fried on the cooktop and the rest of the salad is washed, chopped and plated.  A simple dressing with crystallized ginger and orange juice is poured over the top and voilà!  We have a healthy, hearty, and very tasty meal.

Pan seared chicken breast with assorted vegetables and ginger dressing

The vegetables – The vegetables for this salad can be just about anything that is in season.  Some vegetables like asparagus should be steamed or blanched.  Here are some other vegetables and fruits that work quite well.

•  asparagus (blanched and chilled)
  •  green beans (blanched and chilled)
  • broccoli
  • cucumber
  • sliced apple
  • orange wedges
  • chopped sweet onion
  • Fennel infused onion, chopped
  • raw spinach
  • snow peas

The chicken – Two whole chickens breast could actually serve four people, one-half breast per serving.  That’s probably closer to serving guidelines.  For the two of  us, I can actually stretch 2 breasts to make a nice dinner and light lunch.

Vegetarian version – I haven’t tried it but I would imagine that tofu marinated in the dressing then grilled would be a perfect protein for this salad.  So for all my vegetarian readers – Would that work?

If you like this salad, then you’ll probably like these as well.

Spicy Bean Salad with a simple dressing @MJsKitchenSpicy Bean Salad – Chipotle beans, avocado, tomato, olives and feta cheese

Chicken Salad in a Cantaloupe ringChicken and Cantaloupe Salad – A simple chicken salad served in a cantaloupe ring.

For more recipes that use Crystallized Ginger, check out The Rockstar of the Baker’s Pantry @theKitchn,

This Chicken Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette has been linked to the following blog hops.  Be sure to clicks on the links for more delicious recipe.

Weekend Potluck, Summer Salad Sunday!, Mix It Up Monday, Made From Scratch Monday, Hearth and Soul, Whole Food Wednesdays, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, Whole Foods Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, The Recipe Box, Fat Tuesday

This Ginger Chicken and Vegetable Salad was featured on Carole’s Chatter Salad Inspiration

Tags: , , ,

53 Responses to “Orange Ginger Chicken Salad”

1. Carole July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Great that you linked in, thanks. have a good one
    I’ll take the duplicate link out for you

• mj July 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Thanks so much for inviting me Carole! I’ve bookmarked your hop!

2. Carole July 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

The subject of this week’s Food on Friday is Salad. It would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . I found this through Full Plate Thursday

3. Elsa June 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Yum! This meal looks delicious! Our oven is officially off for a while too. I miss fresh baked bread, but I do love all of the grilled food we’ve been having lately. :) I look forward to trying out your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing with Hearth and Soul!

4. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food June 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

This looks wonderful! Love the crunchy veges with the chicken, and the dressing sounds so tasty. Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

5. Miz Helen June 21, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Hi MJ,
    Your Orange Ginger Chicken Salad looks delicious. The dressing looks like it will have so much flavor, we are going to love this salad. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

6. Rachel June 20, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Wow! That looks so tasty! The dressing sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

7. Mary Hudak-Colllins June 18, 2012 at 11:13 am #

I’m drooling over my keyboard! This looks fabulous! I know what you mean about eating light through the summer. It does seem to make ‘taking the heat’ a little easier. Thanks for sharing this week in our recipe hop ☺

8. Vicki Bensinger June 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Such a beautiful salad especially combined with all those colorful veggies. The perfect meal for a hot summers day. Love the dressing. Thanks for sharing.

9. Chaya June 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Please come visit and while you are there, pick up a well deserve award.

• mj June 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Thank you SO much Chaya!

10. wok with ray June 15, 2012 at 11:27 am #

I love the additon of jicama as it adds more crunch to the salad. I’ve never seen nor heard of crystalized ginger until now. Is that something I can buy from regular supermarket? Your salad looks fresh and light. Have a great weekend, MJ!

~ ray ~

• mj June 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks Ray! I can get crystallized ginger at my local supermarkets. It’s usually found in the dried fruit section. Be warned – it’s great right out of the bag and can be addicting! Hope you find some. You’ll love it!

11. sonia June 15, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Hi there, Its always fun to see ur lovely recipes. And this one is looking amazing. I am so tempted to make it on my isle some day pretty soon. Enjoy your weekend.
    Thank you so much for stopping by my space and the warm words.
    Best Regards, Sonia

12. Viviane Bauquet Farre June 15, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Marvelous as usual, MJ! Ginger dressing is always a delight and your recipe is perfect. A wonderful and complete summer lunch!

13. Chaya June 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

This is mouthwatering good. I can tell by the ingredients, we would love it. I make chicken on Fridays. I want to save this for really hot weather.

14. CJ at Food Stories June 14, 2012 at 10:57 am #

This is just beautiful and looks so easy :-)

15. Soni June 14, 2012 at 8:45 am #

I just love this salad and its absolutely perfect for these hot summer days!!Your orange ginger dressing sound so delicious!!Perfect salad crunchy, tangy, sweet!!Bookmarked :)

16. Giulietta | Alterkitchen June 14, 2012 at 4:23 am #

I love citrus flavor with meat, especially white one. Light and delicious dish! :)

17. Karen (Back Road Journal) June 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Your salad sounds perfect for summer. Now all we need is some of your summer weather.

18. Swathi June 13, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Delicious, that dressing is calling my name sure going to try when I make salad.

19. Sissi June 13, 2012 at 3:53 am #

Your sauce looks so similar to my mango and chili one! The same, sunny colour. The whole meal looks light and as you say it’s perfect for hot days. I have to buy some snap peas! I love them too.

20. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) June 13, 2012 at 1:31 am #

This sounds like the perfect summer meal MJ
    colorful, full of flavor and easy to prepare
    I can’t wait to give this a try

21. cookingrookie June 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

I just saw this salad on RecipeNewZ. So pretty and happy! That orange ginger dressing simply shines :-). I am going to try that, maybe for lunch today .. Thank you for sharing! I love your site so much :-)

• mj June 14, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

Thank you SO much for your kind words! Looking forward to seeing you again!

22. love2dine June 12, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Great post and gorgeous photos too!

23. Amber June 12, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Wow! This looks so cheerful. Crunch, fresh veggies, tang–you’ve thought of everything. :)

24. Sanjeeta kk June 12, 2012 at 3:35 am #

Crystallized ginger…I eat it as a candy..never thought of using it in my dressing..love this dressing.

25. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 12, 2012 at 2:59 am #

I’ve never used crystallized ginger before, but heard about it. Ginger gives you a nice appetite and I love this dressing. Very summer-like refreshing dressing. With your hot weather, this one is such an ideal meal! I love the colorful plate as well.

• mj June 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Thanks Nami! Be careful if you pick up some crystallized ginger. Like Sanjeeta, I eat it like candy!

26. Healthy cooking Blog June 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

This recipe is perfect for the summer…

27. Suzi June 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Mj, this is a perfect summer saladand I think I will be making that orange ginger vinaigrette, it sounds wonderful. I love the crystalized ginger.

28. kitchenriffs June 11, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Boy, I’m with you – when the weather turns hot, our eating habits change radically. I’m not adverse to using the oven, because ours is well insulated, and our kitchen stays relatively cool (unless I have it cranked up to 11!). But I just don’t want to, most of the time. This is a really great recipe – tons of flavor, and healthy. Really nice – thanks.

• mj June 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

One of my problems is that we don’t have air conditioning. We only have a swamp cooler that has a hard time keeping up with heat both inside and outside. Thanks for stopping by!

29. juniakk @ mis pensamientos June 11, 2012 at 7:24 am #

you have some fabulous recipes on here! very clean and refreshing food. :) thanks for the blog visit!

30. cajunville June 11, 2012 at 6:06 am #

The salad is beautiful and the dressing sounds fantastic. Definitely going to give it a try. Thanks.

31. Raymund June 11, 2012 at 2:10 am #

I love the combination of orange and ginger, sweet, tangy and fresh

32. Charles June 11, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Hi MJ – Crystallized ginger in the sauce? What a fantastic idea… I bet it must taste absolutely delicious. I love your plate too – so beautiful with all those fresh ingredients!

33. Baker Street June 11, 2012 at 12:19 am #

This totally makes for a fabulous meal given the weather! Its light and so flavorful.

34. Treat and Trick June 10, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

A plate of light and wonderful meal! I should try this kind of meal once in a while.

35. Anne@FromMySweetHeart June 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Oh MJ….I love this easy summertime meal. I love snap peas…such a good crunch for a salad. And that orange ginger dressing….I don’t know if I want to pour that over my salad or take it as a shooter! It all looks cool, easy and fabulous! : )

• mj June 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

I’m with you Anne. It’s very hard no to drink the dressing! :) Thanks for stopping by!

36. peachkins June 10, 2012 at 5:19 am #

I love all the things that makes up this salad!!!! and the dressing too!!

37. vianney June 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I adore ginger and orange together, the perfect match!! I feel ya, June is a blazing here in Texas!!

38. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Your orange ginger dressing sounds gorgeous MJ. I just love the combination of citrus and chicken and this is the kind of meal my husband and I eat frequently for lunch – summer and winter! I’m with you on trying to keep heating to a minimum in the summertime – so nice to have these delicious options. I like how you’ve seasoned the chicken before adding the dressing – I have to try that next time!

39. Tessa June 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Gorgeous salad! I just love the colors and the flavor combination. Delicious!

40. Magic of Spice June 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Perfect meal for summer! I just love that dressing…delicious!

41. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 8, 2012 at 11:19 am #

I wish I had seen this before earlier so I could make this for dinner today! I love that you used peanut oil to make the dressing. Must be very tasty!

42. France @ Beyond The Peel June 8, 2012 at 11:09 am #

MJ, You’re killing me.I’m so jealous. I wish it was hot. We still have the heat on during the day :( Maybe if I make this I will feel like its sunny and warm out.

43. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz June 8, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Totally need to keep it simple in the summer. I love chicken dishes with a citrus touch and the crystalized ginger is a really nice touch.

44. Ramona June 8, 2012 at 9:46 am #

What a perfectly savory salad!! I love the dressing… light and still full of bold flavor. We are have a few of cooler days right now… but it will warm up soon. I still will have to use my stove because I need my curry fix, but I would definitely love salad several times a week too. :) Have a great weekend!! ~ Ramona :)

45. balvinder ( Neetu) June 8, 2012 at 8:46 am #

These kind of meals with some meat, salad and veggies can be seen in my home on Fridays when my daughter and husband wants something different from our usual routine. So, I always need ideas for that. I like your dressing with crystallized ginger. I can use my pickled ginger in place of that.

• mj June 9, 2012 at 12:20 am #

Thanks Neetu! Pickled ginger in the dressing sounds wonderful!