Sweet Cucumber Drink

Cucumber drink with or without alcohol

I love all of the refreshing cocktails that I’ve been seeing lately so I thought I would join the party. This sweet cucumber drink is delicious both as a cocktail and as a non-alcoholic refresher.  I’ve had it both ways many times. The first time I had it was a few months ago when my brother-in-law made the cucumber cocktail for me.  I loved it then and I love it now!

My BIL acquired this recipe from “Johnny the bartender” in Austin, TX.  It was Johnny’s creation and he asked my BIL to try it. Needless to say my BIL loved it and, being the east Texas boy he is, he easily talked Johnny into sharing the recipe.  So I credit this recipe to Johnny, wherever you are.  I hope I’ve done your drink justice.

Cucumber cocktail or mocktail

Cucumber drink with agave, sparkling water and vodka

I don’t have a shaker so I put the first five ingredients in a large glass, stir, then add some crushed ice and stir vigorously for a few seconds. At this point I divide between two glasses and follow the rest of the instructions.

The first time I took a sip of this cocktail it reminded me of a local restaurant that serves water with a cucumber slice instead of lemon.  For some reason the cucumber imparts a freshness that I like better than lemon.  This cocktail does the same.  It’s so summery and refreshing!

Virgin cocktail – It’s just as good without the vodka.  I’ve made it several times for when I just wanted something refreshing and cold to drink, sitting on the porch reading a good book.

For great information on cocktails and ideas on making some of the classics as well as new drinks, be sure to check out the cocktail  series on Kitchen Riffs.  While there, check out the gorgeous photography! It was Kitchen Riffs’ drink photography that inspired the second shot in this post.  Being new to photography, I find photographing drinks very challenging; therefore, I took LOTS of pictures in different settings to test the results. It was fun!

Other drinks that you might enjoy:

Jamaican Cooler – A mix of simple ginger syrup, Jamaican Rum and sparkling water.

Mint Julep – Bourbon, mint and a little sugar – what more could you want?

This wonderful cucumber drink was voted up to the Foodbuzz Top 9 on June 19, 2012!

Foodbuzz

This recipe has also been shared with the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more delicious recipes.

Weekend Potluck, Foodie Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Foodie Friday, Michelle’s Creative Thursday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday

This Cucumber Drink was selected by Season With Spice as one of their Summer Season 2012 Editor Picks and picked by Fox News as a Delightful Kentucky Derby Drink!

Tags: , ,

58 Responses to “Sweet Cucumber Drink”

1. Anne@FromMySweetHeart June 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Yay…congrats MJ! Glad to see this luscious drink in the Top 9! : )

2. vianney June 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

I LOVE this sweet cucumber drink!! I can totally see myself switching out the vodka for tequila, oh this is happening soon, is it Friday yet? love it!

3. Biren @ Roti n Rice June 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

What a cool and refreshing drink! I can sure do with one of these in the hot and humid tropics I am in right now. Love the second shot! :)

4. Cucina49 June 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

Wow, this looks fabulous–and so refreshing. I can see why it goes down easy!

5. Giulietta | Alterkitchen June 18, 2012 at 11:19 am #

What an interesting drink, MJ! Never saw anything like this :)

6. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 18, 2012 at 8:39 am #

What a fun drink! It looks so incredibly refreshing.

7. Kitty June 18, 2012 at 7:18 am #

What a refreshing drink for the Summer months!! I have cucumbers fresh from the garden waiting in the fridge. Thanks for the recipe.

8. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 18, 2012 at 5:55 am #

Isn’t it amazing how much flavour cucumber imparts? I was equally surprised the first time I tried cucumber water at a girlfriend’s house. I thought the cucumber looked very pretty in the pitcher but never expected the water to actually take on the essence of cucumber, and yet… I have been serving it to clients ever since! This drink looks so wonderfully refreshing and summer perfect MJ. I also happen to love how it is vaguely reminiscent of mojito ;-) with its lime and mint… the agave nectar sounds perfect here. Lovely.

9. Baker Street June 18, 2012 at 4:07 am #

I love the idea of a cucumber cocktail! I’ve never tried one but would absolutely LOVE to give it a go! :)

10. Liz June 18, 2012 at 3:34 am #

SO lovely and refreshing! And who can resist a cocktail this beautiful?

11. Zoe June 17, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

This is my first time seeing the use of cucumber for sweet drinks! Looks very refreshing!

12. Suzi June 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

I am loving this MJ. Looks so refreshing. cucumbers are cool, and tasty.

13. Tara Noland June 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

I love cucumber water so I can imagine that this would be so good. I am going to add it to my Mouth Watering Mondays post tomorrow. Come on by to see it at http://www.noshingwiththenolands.com Cheers, Tara

14. France @ Beyond The Peel June 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

One of my favorite drinks is similar to this except we use gin. I look forward to trying it out with vodka! Nice.

15. Sylvia June 17, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Cucumber drink? I like the sound of that especially since it’s summer(or not :P )!

16. Sissi June 17, 2012 at 11:06 am #

MJ, it sounds fabulous and so original! I’m a big cucumber fan (I have it constantly in my fridge, all year long!) and even agave syrup is my staple since I discovered its healthy side. You can be sure I will try it soon. Thank you for sharing this unusual recipe.

17. kitchenriffs June 17, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Wow, thanks for the nice words and the link love! Very nice of you to do. Isn’t photographing cocktails fun? Although it can be really difficult, too. But so satisfying when you get it right. And this drink? Super sounding! Really refreshing, and it looks gorgeous. Great food styling on the photography, too!

• mj June 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Thanks KR!!!! I appreciate your feedback since you were my inspiration! :)

18. Raymund June 17, 2012 at 2:45 am #

I never had tried cucumbers on drink, this really intrigued me so I will be making one

19. Anne@FromMySweetHeart June 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

What a beautiful, refreshing cocktail, MJ! I love it! I was going to try a similar one made with gin. Cucumbers are so refreshing in drinks. I even love just a cucumber flavored water. And your pictures are so pretty! Looks good! Make mine a double!

20. Charles June 16, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Interesting addition, with the cucumber – I never tried a cucumber drink before, must be very refreshing though! You make it look incredible in the last photo!

Did you know there a cucumber liqueur?

• mj June 17, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

thanks Charles! No I did not know there was a cucumber liqueur! I’ll have to check it out! Sounds good!

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Look at this refreshing drink! You took such great pictures of cold drinks! SF has 80F weather today. It’s crazy hot and this sounds just perfect. I’m cooling down by looking at it… :-) Thanks to the bartender Johnny! He’s now famous thanks to you! ;-)

• mj June 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Thanks Nami! I’ll trade you your 80 degrees weather for our 90 degrees! :)

22. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) June 16, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I have never had a cucumber drink before but it sounds so refreshing and I can’t wait to give the virgin one a try

23. Angie@Angie's Recipes June 16, 2012 at 7:58 am #

A cucumber cocktail? wow…I want to try too. So refreshing!

24. peachkins June 16, 2012 at 5:57 am #

I’ve yet to try cucumber in a drink but it sure does look refreshing!

25. myfudo June 16, 2012 at 12:02 am #

Cucumber is good for the skin…not to mention they are really really refreshing. I am sure I will love this drink. Ready to try this out =)

• mj June 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Good for the skin? Well, I guess I need to drink more of them! :)

26. Jane June 15, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Yum! This does sound so good and refreshing!

27. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

I have never ever had a cucumber drink but I so want this one right now! It looks wonderful.

28. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen June 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

I love this MJ. What a totally refreshing summer cocktail. My hubby is quite the bartender so I’ve got to show this to him!

29. Ramona June 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Woohoo!! Way to start the weekend! What a beautiful drink. I love the infusion of cucumber. Well done my friend! Have a great weekend. :)

30. Tessa June 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

This looks delicious! I bet it would be really good with cucumber vodka :).

1. Watermelon Coolers | MJ's Kitchen - June 23, 2013

[...] got me thinking about a watermelon drink, one that could be made with or without alcohol like my Sweet Cucumber Drink. So one of the first things I did when I got home was to go out and buy another watermelon for the [...]

2. 25 Blogs Featuring Cucumber Recipes that Might be Perfect for Dinner | Full Time Nanny - April 8, 2013

[...] Sweet Cucumber Drink [...]

3. Rezept ♥ Gurken-Cocktail | Lu zieht an. ♥ - June 21, 2012

[...] bin ich auf → dieses Rezept gestoßen, das so interessant klang, dass ich sofort zum Supermarkt gefahren bin und alles gekauft [...]

4. Mouth Watering Mondays | | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands - June 18, 2012

[...] Southwest – Cheddar Cornmeal Waffle BLTAs by Snixy Kitchen – Jalapeno Popper Dip By USMasala – Sweet Cucumber Cocktail by MJ’s Kitchen – Cannelloni Di Magro by Manu’s Menu – Crisp Zucchini [...]