Salted Pecan Bark

Salted Pecan Chocolate Bark @MJsKitchen

I love nuts of all kinds, but I have to say that pecans are my absolutely favorite. Up until 3 years ago when my mother sold the family home, all my pecans came from the pecan tree in the backyard of the house in which I grew up.  When I moved to New Mexico, my mother would ship me bags of shelled pecans for Christmas. Yes, I said “shelled” pecans!  On my visits back home, I would raid her freezer which normally had more pecans that she could eat.  It always gave me a thrill to think that I was still eating pecans from the same tree after all of these years!

Now I have to buy my pecans, so I buy in bulk from a New Mexico grower called Stahmanns. This recipe was actually inspired by some Salted Pecan Bark that I purchased with my last bulk order.  The bark was SO good! Bobby and I both wanted more after it was all gone, so I decided to give making bark a try.  BIG mistake – HUGE mistake!!!!   Not only did it turn out fabulous, but making it was SO EASY and at least 1/3 the cost!  It took about 15 minutes of prep and cook time and then 30 minutes to cool in the refrigerator.  It’s going to be really hard NOT keeping some of this bark in the pantry at all times!

Salted Pecan Chocolate Bark @MJsKitchen

I went through several combinations of chocolate before settling on this one.  At first I thought we would prefer the extra dark chocolate (85% cocoa), but it was a little too bitter for our tastes, so I switched to 60% cocoa and then added the semi-sweet chocolate morsels.  That combination was perfect!

Addiction Warning!

The first few batches I made I cut into small squares thinking that we would just nibble on a few pieces and put the can back in the pantry for another night. Wrong! We would both take several pieces at once, eat them and then grab another handful. One batch lasted 2 nights – tops. Now I break into larger pieces.  One or two of the larger pieces seem to satisfy that nighttime sweet craving.  Now a batch lasts a little longer than 2 nights.

Yes – we love this bark! 🙂

Note:  Because my mother loves salty pecans and my mother-in-law loves chocolate, I was planning on ordering a box of these for each of them for Mother’s Day.  Unfortunately, I discovered that Stahmanns Pecans has closed its doors and has shut down its website as of May 1, 2012.  Another victim of the economy. Now I need to find another source of good pecans. Any suggestions?

I’ve linked this Salted Pecan Bark recipe to the following blog hops .  So be sure to click on the link for more ideas for mom.

Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Katherine Martinelli’s Mother’s Day Blog Hog, What’s Cooking Love?, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Hearth and Soul, Bake with Bizzy, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Gallery of Favorites

This recipe was featured at What’s Cooking Love?

What's cooking, love?

Tags: , , , ,

68 Responses to “Salted Pecan Bark”

1. April @ The 21st Century Housewife December 19, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Thank you for sharing your delicious Salted Pecan Bark with The Gallery of Favorites. It sounds so tasty – and perfect for holiday gift giving too!

2. Su Anne June 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Excellent! I used toasted pecans and added dried tart cherries to half the batch. Yum. We had a couple pieces before the rest went home with Dad for Father’s Day. He loved it. A second batch for Ted and I is cooling now. Thanks MJ. Oh and I melted the chocolate in the microwave. Start with 1 1/2 minutes in a bowl covered with plastic wrap that has a couple slits from a paring knife. Stir and continue heating in 30 second increments until it’s melted. Trying hard to keep the house cool.

• mj June 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Thanks Su Anne! I’m so glad that you and everyone liked it!!! I love the idea of toasting the pecans first! I’ll try that the next time. Thanks for the heads-up on the microwave method! Anything to keep the heat out of the kitchen.

3. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) May 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

I have to make this!! How amazing to have a Pecan tree growing up?
    I get Pecans at either Trader Joe’s or the bulk section of Whole Foods. Do you live near either one?

• mj May 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Thanks for the tip! There is a Whole Foods near me but not a Trader’s Joe. I’ll check it out. I hope you do make this. It’s SO GOOD! Have a great weekend!

4. Magic of Spice May 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Addiction warning is right! Glad you posted that, but I probably won’t listen 😉 Too bad they closed down, I usually get any nuts from farmer’s markets or Whole Foods. And I also adore pecans, this looks amazing!

5. Alea Milham May 21, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

This looks amazing – like a delicious slice of heaven. I will be featuring it tomorrow on my H&S Hop highlights.

6. Jo May 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I’m with you, pecans are my favorite nut too. This looks so good.

7. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

OMG… this is something I “shouldn’t” look. You know why, because I’m so…addicted with chocolate with nuts. It doesn’t take me too long to finish that box. I am true chocoholic… Thank you for this recipe. I love dark chocolate so I will adapt and make my own bark!!!

8. Shannon | Just As Delish May 17, 2012 at 4:48 am #

oh how I wish pecans are less expensive here.. i’ve been making many chocolate recipes lately but one can never have too much chocolate! can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m staying in a hot tropical country weather, can these be kept at room temperature or must be refrigerated?

• mj May 17, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Shannon, pecans should be refrigerated or stored in the freezer. I wouldn’t let them sit out for more than a week. I hope you do get to try this. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to make another bark! 🙂 Thanks for dropping by.

9. Alyssa May 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks for linking up to Showcase Your Talent Thursday, you have been featured! http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-7.html

10. Laura @ Family Spice May 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

what is it about sweet & salty that it is soooo addictive & delicious???!!!

11. love2dine May 15, 2012 at 9:58 am #

wonderful i love to have the whole dark chocolate.. i will probably finish in one day… heee..heeeee..

12. Biren @ Roti n Rice May 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

I love pecans too and this bark looks and sounds fantastic. I recently discovered sea salt soiree intense dark chocolate by Ghirardelli and love the slightly salty taste in chocolate. I know I’ll like your bark recipe very much. 🙂

13. Alyssa May 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

This bark looks so good! I think pecans are my favorite nut too. I bet that was great always having so many of them available. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

14. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious May 14, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Totally in love with this bark! I could eat this and only this for the rest of my life 🙂

15. sally May 13, 2012 at 10:00 am #

I can see how these can be addicting! They look fantastic!

16. megan May 12, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

love that little box too, as many have said. so cute and i would probably eat the whole batch if i made this! i’m glad to have found your blog and i’ll be sure to pop over sometime again to see what you’re cooking. feel free to drop by my web-home sometime! x

17. Liz May 12, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

What a sweet treat for the moms 🙂 I can see how this would be extremely addicting!

18. mj May 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

thanks everyone for your wonderful comments! I hope you are all having a great weekend and for you mothers out there – Happy Mother’s Day weekend!

19. Jayne May 12, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Wow this sounds so good! I love all of the ingredients, this could be dangerous for me (my hips)! Great recipe!

20. Judy@Savoring Today May 12, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Simple, easy, perfect! I adore pecans in chocolate, the sea salt would put it right over the top for me. I just picked up a smoked sea salt at our gourmet spice shop in town, this has me wondering if this should be the first way I should use it!

21. Mark May 11, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

Hi MJ,I wonder if they ship to Malaysia? Pecans cost a fortune out here, but it would be great to make some pecan chocolate ice cream right now.

I don’t doubt for a second looking at those pictures that these are addicting.

22. RecipeNewZ May 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

This must taste amazing! I got to try 🙂

23. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen May 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Salt, nuts, and chocolate? Lord help me. This is my all time fav snacky indulgence.

24. Food Jaunts May 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Oh it’s so sad when favored businesses close 🙁 MJ, I’m going to be honest. I’ll probably never ever make this…because you’re right and I would eat the whole thing in a night or two! 🙂 I still love the whole idea, maybe I can do this as a special treat every once in awhile.

25. Kelly May 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

I grew up in the same town as Stahmann farms! What a small world. This recipe looks fabulous BTW

• mj May 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Thanks Kelly! It is a small world! It’s so sad that they’ve had to close down.

26. Cucina49 May 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

This is one of those deceptively simple desserts that packs a lot of flavors. Pecans are not my favorite nut, but I think they’re perfect for this recipe!

27. DB-The Foodie Stuntman May 11, 2012 at 11:23 am #

This reminds me of a English toffee recipe I have. Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

28. CJ at Food Stories May 11, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Congratulations on your foodbuzz top 9, today!

29. Baker Street May 11, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Wow! This looks incredible MJ! Congratulations on top 9 today.

30. love2dine May 11, 2012 at 12:48 am #

Woww.. looks super tempting and perfect.. lovely step by step pictures..

31. beti May 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Adding salt to sweet recipes is always a great idea, this bark looks and sounds delicious

32. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Your tempting word like “Easy” “addiction” makes me trouble with these chocolate with nuts. I don’t know if I had any chocolate with pecans before. My favorite has been almonds (dark chocolate with almonds) but I must taste pecans – I think I might be hooked and wonder why I was eating chocolate with almonds all these years. Definitely will try. I better make small amount because I am the only one who will be eating these… dangerous dangerous…

• mj May 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Thanks Nami! You really should try it with pecans. I like almonds and chocolate, but I LOVE pecans and chocolate. It might be a southern thing, but if you try it, let me know how you like it. Have a great weekend!

33. anh@anhsfoodblog.com May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

I love the combo of salted nuts and chocolate! Very interesting.

34. CJ at Food Stories May 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

This recipe looks so easy and delicious. I think we’re all in trouble now 🙂

35. Jen at The Three Little Piglets May 10, 2012 at 8:58 am #

I can’t make bark very often because I’ll eat it all. And pecans are my favorite nut – there’s just something about them I can never seem to get enough of.

36. Viviane Bauquet Farre May 10, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Yum, MJ! A very decadent dessert – I bet it washes well with some black coffee. Very cozy for those chilly spring nights..!

37. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 10, 2012 at 6:35 am #

Both bark and box are GREAT! Love the photos too.

38. Healthy cooking Blog May 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

This recipe looks very nice and less messy. I hope if I can make these square a little soft so my mom can taste it. Very good testure and color. I love pecan, coco and chocolate mix.

39. Charles May 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Hi MJ – I only just discovered the name “bark” for this type of thing before Christmas. Is it called bark because of tree bark, do you know? It looks incredible – I can totally imagine that it’s a dangerous thing to keep in the house. Still, at least it’s not milk or white chocolate – that would be much more guilt-inducing, although I’m not sure if it would work so well. I think the combo of plain chocolate and nuts is probably one of the best flavours there are for chocolate!

40. Rathai May 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

This sounds and looks delicious! I have never tasted pecans but I have a huge weakness for all sweet things with nuts. Pecans are very difficult to find here and quite expensive too. I’m a little envious you had a pecan tree at your mother’s house. I too would have raided your mother’s fridge, if I had got a chance. 🙂

41. April @ The 21st Century Housewife May 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Oh my this sounds so lovely! I like the salty sweet idea, and the combination of the two different kinds of chocolate to give a wonderful balance of flavour.

I’m sorry your pecan supplier has shut down, and I hope you find a new one soon!!

42. kitchenriffs May 9, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I’ve never made bark, salted pecan or otherwise. Although I’ve eaten more than my share. But all I have to say is: Darn You! 😉 Now that I know how easy this is, how can I resist? I can’t! 🙂 Really fun post – thanks.

43. myfudo May 9, 2012 at 9:52 am #

I’d love to try this and place them in neat little boxes with ribbons. This’d be great holiday gifts or Mothers’ Day treats, or just to show appreciation to someone who did you good. I for one would really be pleased to receive something sweet as a gift. Indeed, pecans are a popular favorite. Thanks for sharing!

• mj May 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Thanks! It is a lovely box isn’t it? Bobby gave it to me as a gift years ago with a nice pair of earrings inside. 🙂

44. Suzi May 9, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Oh my, I am not sure that I should have read this. You know I don’t make desserts but this is just too easy to pass up. Pecans and chocolate and all I have to do is melt it and then chill it. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks MJ and I hope you have having a wonderful day. It is quite warm here in FL.

• mj May 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

Please do let me know if you like it! I don’t make dessert either so this has become a real treat – maybe too much so! 🙂 Have a great weekend!

45. Sawsan (Chef in disguise) May 9, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Chocolate bark has been on my list forever but I am honestly scared to try it, I don’t think it would even last 2 nights in this house

46. soni May 9, 2012 at 1:57 am #

Oh my!!Chocolate and pecans and you’re so lucky you had your own tree!!You know what, you’ve given me a perfect recipe for my left over chocolate sauce from the Berry strudel I’d made earlier (its in my freezer!)Cannot wait to try 🙂

47. Katherine Martinelli May 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

I love any kind of bark and I love sweet/salty combos – so this is perfect! So awesome that you got your pecans from your mom’s tree growing up, and sad that your pecan seller has closed! That’s really too bad.

48. Anne@FromMySweetHeart May 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

MJ….just one question. Do you ship to D.C.??? This looks fabulous! Much better than anything you could buy! I love bark….so versatile. But I love that you used pecans….my favorite! I don’t know if I could have left that pecan tree! Beautiful photos as always! : )

49. France @ Beyond The Peel May 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

ps How special is it to have your own pecan tree! Jealous!

50. France @ Beyond The Peel May 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

This sounds dangerous to keep around! I love the salt and pecan and chocolate. Yum

51. Su Anne May 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

At one time I ordered from Stahman’s too but switched to http://www.berdoll.com after we stopped at their roadside business south of Austin. They have several varieties of pecans, in the shell and out, as well as lots of goodies like pecan bark. My personal favorite is the Kiowa Pecan but all the varieties are tasty. I order a years worth in late November-early December each year and specify I want the new crop. I’ll knock some salted pecan bark out real soon!

• mj May 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks for the information Su Anne! I’ll check Berdoll out. Hope you enjoy the bark! Have a great week!

52. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles May 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Oh, MJ, I am fully aware of the addictive quality of chocolate – haha! – I make chocolate clusters with a similar mixture and we are always amazed to see how quickly they go…Your bark has it all – gorgeous, quality dark chocolate, with nuts and salt… yup, the stuff that ‘more’ is made of ;-). (so pretty too! love the second shot – well done).

53. Sissi May 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

We rarely eat pecans in Europe (they are more expensive than walnuts for example) and I don’t remember the last time I had them… Your bark looks gorgeous and I must say I rarely make bark because I find it always too irresistible to stop eating! It’s such a simple and rewarding sweet treat.
    I totally agree about the 80% cocoa chocolate. I once bought it and had to mix with some milk chocolate because it was simply too “stuffing”. Now I use a 70% dark chocolate.

• mj May 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Oh I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have continuous access to good pecans! 🙂 They are more expensive than walnuts and almonds, but there are just some things I can’t live without. Like chocolate, they are a necessity! Thanks for your comments!

54. Ramona May 8, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I totally agree with you about this being dangerous… this is one of my favorite ways to eat chocolate. I love that you made this dark chocolate and added salt too. 🙂 Mmm..Mmmm… Good! 🙂

How lucky you were to have pecans from your mother tree for all these years. I know you must feel a little sad every time you have to buy it now. I am going to google what a pecan tree looks like… I have never seen one.

55. Normal Food For Normal People May 8, 2012 at 9:05 am #

I agree with Tessa – this looks like a perfect gift to bring over for a little get together. I wonder how it would be with even darker chocolate?

• mj May 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

We didn’t like the 85% cocoa – too bitter. I think the salt may have enhanced the bitterness because normally I love really dark chocolate! But I think it all comes down to personal tastes. Thanks for stopping by!

56. Tessa May 8, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Looks delicious! I really like that box. This would be an excellent host/hostess gift!

1. Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - July 29, 2013

[…] you remember my Salted Pecan Bark from a few weeks ago?  It was SO good, but even I can get too much of a good thing.  So to change […]

2. Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers 5/22 | Premeditated Leftovers - May 22, 2012

[…] and Soul Hop: 4 Recipes Using Beer as an Ingredient Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) Salted Pecan Bark Raw Lemon “Cream” Bars Spinach, Mango, and Strawberry […]