Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans

Banana Waffles #recipe @MJsKitchen

Given the choice between pancakes, waffles or crepes, I’ll take waffles any day! I love a waffle that’s crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, then topped with fresh fruit, nuts and warm maple syrup.  This banana buttermilk waffle recipe has been my “go to” recipe for years, but recently I have made a change in the flours that has taken something quite good and made it even better. The recipe uses an overripe banana in place of any oil or butter. I also use buttermilk to add more flavor and texture. A variety of toppings can be used so be sure to read the Kitchen Notes for suggestions.

My first waffle iron was one I inherited from my great aunt back in ’76. It was one of those heavy electric cast-iron waffle irons that produced a PERFECT waffle every single time. Unfortunately, I only had it for 15 years before it bit the dust.  Not bad for a kitchen appliance that was probably purchased in the 50’s! It took me about 5 years and 3 different waffle irons to find another one that came close to the waffles that my aunt’s made, but I finally found one that works. I use a Krups, 4-square Belgian waffle maker and love it! (No, I was not paid to say that. :) )

Banana Waffles #recipe @MJsKitchen

The flours – Recently my friend over at Tasty, Easy, Healthy, Green has turned me on to spelt flour so I decided to substitute my usual 1 cup of whole wheat flour with 1 cup of spelt. I really didn’t think these waffles could get any better, but the nuttiness of the spelt added another level of flavor and the texture was perfect.  One day I might get brave and use all spelt, but for now, the 1:1 ratio is perfect for us!  Of course you can always experiment with your own combination of flours, but I do highly recommend this one.

The banana – Overripe bananas are perfect for these waffles because they mash up quite nicely into a puree’ that incorporates into the batter. Also, the moisture of the banana and the buttermilk eliminate the need for butter or oil in the batter.  I normally use 1 large banana, but if the bananas I have are small, I’ll use 2.

The Buttermilk – What can I say? I like using buttermilk, especially in things like waffles, pancakes, and cornbread. It adds a richness and taste that you don’t get with milk. For the milk I use 1% because that’s what we have in the fridge.

The Strawberries – These waffles can be topped with just about any fruit. Just use what you have.  I love the strawberries as well a mixed berries.  You can also top it with chopped apples or more banana.

The pecans – Pecans are hard to beat. You can choose to pan roast them, but I don’t.  Walnuts and almonds can be used, but they are not near as good as pecans.

The maple syrup – The syrup on my mom’s table was either Log Cabin or Karo. Once I tasted maple syrup there was no turning back. Warmed maple syrup is hard to beat.

As a kid I use to make sure that every little hole in the waffle was filled with syrup before taking that first bite.  So you can only imagine that by the time I filled up every waffle hole, I had enough syrup on my plate for at least 4 squares!  Needless to say, I’ve cut WAY back on the amount of syrup.

Don’t have a Waffle Iron? – Not to worry – make pancakes! I’ve made pancakes with this same recipe and they were great!

What to do with leftover waffles?

I always make extra waffles for the leftovA recipe for leftover waffles @MJsKitcheners.  Bobby’s favorite thing to do with leftover waffles is to fry an egg in bacon drippings and place it on a toasted waffle, followed with warm maple syrup.  Today for lunch I took it one step further. I added bacon!

What do you do with leftover waffles?

This recipe is part of the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more fabulous recipes!

April 2012 #berry love, Mix It Up Monday, My Meatless Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Hearth and Soul, Whole Food Wednesday, Foodie Friday, Katherine Martinelli’s Mother’s Day Hop, Made With Love Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Weekend Potluck, Breakfast Ideas Monday

The recipe was featured at Elsa Cooks’ Hearth and Soul blog hop and Made With Love Monday.

Tags: , , , ,

64 Responses to “Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans”

1. Sasha July 1, 2014 at 9:30 am #

Hi every one, here every one is sharing such experience, so it’s fastidious to read
    this website, and I used to pay a visit this webpage everyday.

2. Kim @ Just Baked July 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

I’ve never had banana waffles, but I am always looking for new ways to use them. And, I love the strawberry banana combination. Looks delicious.

3. Kim @ Sunflower Supper Club May 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

These look delicious MJ! Thanks so much for linking up to the Weekend Potluck! Can’t wait to see what you bring this weekend!

4. Mom Photographer (@MomPhotographer) May 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

that sounds really good! I like the idea of using leftovers in such a creative way!

5. sally May 13, 2012 at 10:19 am #

So glad that you like the spelt flour! I’m still experimenting with it, but I love the nutty flavor it adds to baked goods. Angie over at Angie’s Recipes (http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/) has inspired me to use more spelt flour.

6. Joy Luster May 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

they sound like my kind of a Sunday morning feast. Can’t wait to make them.

7. Elsa May 1, 2012 at 6:18 am #

Hello! I featured your recipe in Hearth and Soul today. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely recipe!

8. Diane Balch April 27, 2012 at 7:56 am #

The spelt flour is an interesting and healthy addition. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

9. Lisa April 25, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

This looks divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

10. Elsa April 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

I love waffles too! I was just given a waffle iron the other day and I’ve been excited to give it a try. I will have to save this recipe and try it out this weekend. And as always, your pictures are stunning! Thanks so much for sharing with the Hearth and Soul!!

11. Food Jaunts April 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I definitely need to get a waffle maker. I’ve been resisting since I probably don’t need another kitchen appliance but I want it and I want to make these. Love the idea of using a banana instead of other oil/fat.

12. Viviane Bauquet Farre April 20, 2012 at 6:35 am #

It’s a shame that waffles aren’t yet as popular in the States as they are over in Europe. Anyways, MJ, these look like a fabulous way to start the day – fresh and golden!

13. Purabi Naha April 20, 2012 at 2:14 am #

I love waffles for breakfast and this looks super cool!! Bookmarked!

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 20, 2012 at 1:19 am #

I’d take waffles over pancakes any day too! We have a round waffle maker that can flip – before that was square kind that it was so hard to wash. Ever since we have a new waffle maker, we really enjoy making waffles on weekends. Ahem, not “we” it’s actually hubby’s job… I’m keeping this recipe. Using spelt sounds interesting. Your waffles make me hungry even at night time!

15. Raymund April 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

I would love this for breakfast, everyday :)

16. anh@anhsfoodblog.com April 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

There’s something so special about the waffle iron pan! I need to get one!

17. Anne@FromMySweetHeart April 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

MJ….I’d choose a waffle over pancakes or crepes any day, too! But I am ashamed to tell you….I’ve always made my waffles ‘plain’! You have inspired me to change that! We have waffles a couple of weekends each month…and you can be sure my next batch will be banana! These look absolutely perfect….nice and thick and golden brown and I know how sweet and chewy the insides must be! Your pictures, as usual, are just beautiful! : )

18. Deeps @ Naughty Curry April 19, 2012 at 10:16 am #

wow, the pics are just lovely! i love crisp waffles too, nothin beats it… i love the detailed explanations and substitutions u have mentioned this is such a helpful post bookmarking it for that day when i will own a waffle maker :)

19. Emily @Cleanliness April 19, 2012 at 9:39 am #

This looks like an absolutely perfect waffle recipe! I love it!!!

20. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen April 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

Oh my, oh my, oh my. Nuff said.

21. Javelin Warrior April 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

I love that you used a banana to cut the traditional added fat like oil or butter and a good iron is really the key to a good waffle. My mom still has her original waffle maker with the cast iron plates and it still makes the best waffles. My more recent purchase of a cuisinart griddler has been less than stellar ;)

• mj April 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I’m so jealous that your mom still has her original waffle iron! Like Ray said – they just don’t make equipment like they use to. Hopefully, you can find a make that you like!

• Javelin Warrior May 8, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Wow, that use for left-over waffles really does sound awesome. I’ve never combined all four parts into one “sandwich” meal, but what’s not to love? Thanks so much for sharing these waffles…

22. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

I love waffles, and yours look amazing, my friend!
    I have to improve my skills with pancakes (I have to find the right recipe, I think), and then I want to start with waffles…
    Here in Piedmont in some places (next to France, where waffles are called gauffres) they call them “goffri”.
    I love languages :)

• mj April 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Interesting! I do love languages and have tried to learn both French and Spanish, but there is something in my brain that just doesn’t connect. Maybe it’s the method. I’m still trying with Spanish.

23. Tina (PinayInTexas) April 18, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Unlike you and my daughters, I will go for pancakes rather than waffles. But I won’t say no to a banana flavored waffle like this especially if it’s topped with strawberries and pecans.
    Hope you’re having a good week, MJ!

• mj April 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Someone has to keep the pancakes going Tina! :)

24. zazacook April 18, 2012 at 6:34 am #

I love waffles. Yours look so fantastic, so delicious :)

25. Charles April 18, 2012 at 3:16 am #

Love waffles and I love spelt flour too – just figured out recently what it is in French, so I can find it here too :D

A very tasty breakfast treat here MJ :)

26. peachkins April 18, 2012 at 1:21 am #

This makes me wish I have a waffle maker…

27. wok with ray April 17, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

They don’t make equipments the way they used to, MJ and that’s a shame. Love waffles and more syrup for me, please. Have a good week, MJ. :)

28. vianney April 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Spelt flour I will have to give it a try. they look wonderful and buttermilk does add a great touch. I always use buttermilk in mine. My mom had a cast iron waffle iron and she loved it.

29. Carolyn Jung April 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

I am so with you on that. I would totally take a waffle over pancakes any ol’ day. I love the crisp exterior and the fluffy soft interior, plus all the crevices that get filled with warm syrup.

30. Cucina49 April 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

That is one gorgeous, fluffy waffle–it looks amazing! I would choose that over pancakes or crepes any day.

31. Angie@Angie's Recipes April 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

I would love those for the breakfast too! Looks so good!

32. Nisa Homey April 17, 2012 at 11:45 am #

OMG! the first pic is too tempting, unfortunately I do not have a waffle iron…but u r tempting me to buy one asap…hmmm banana, buttermilk and strawberry..YUIM!

33. France @ Beyond The Peel April 17, 2012 at 10:41 am #

I look forward to trying this out. I think the combination of spelt and banana sounds amazing. I’m with you. Waffles every time!

34. Soni April 17, 2012 at 8:27 am #

I would also pick Waffles over anything and these look absolutely yummy!!I love the addition of pecans for that nutty crunch in every bite!Hmm I can almost taste the deliciousness right now ;)

35. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 17, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Look at the rise on those gorgeous waffles… I don’t eat waffles often but it seems to me that mine do not look nearly as accomplished ;-) (darn those heavy whole grains!). Buttermilk, mmm…. I’m with you. Luminous photos MJ.

36. Baker Street April 17, 2012 at 2:19 am #

I LOVE waffles and the one I was gifted has conked off. Its been on my list to get it working so that sunday mornings are magical once again.

These sound super delicious and would be just the perfect way to begin any day.

37. Suzanne April 16, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

Sounds great to me two of my favorite fruits and together with waffles a great breakfast treat :) sending some berry love to you!

38. kitchenriffs April 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

I’ve never made waffles – shocking admission, I know! Just have never had a waffle iron. I should really get one some day, because I do remember when I was a kid, doing what you did – filling each waffle hole with syrup! I doubt if I’d do that these, days, but you never know! And there’s nothing like real maple syrup. Nothing. Anyway, I do make pancakes all the time, so I may take this recipe out for a test spin on my griddle. Nice post – thanks.

39. Nicole, RD April 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

YUM! I love the idea of banana waffles…and with strawberries on top? Mmm!

40. Rathai April 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

The waffles look perfect! I was considering purchasing a waffle baker last month, as here in Sweden there is an official waffle day (25th of March) but I could not decide which one to buy because I’ve never owned one and had no one to consult either. Glad to hear you like yours. Will look that one up.

41. Christin April 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Looks Fabulous! Love waffles and I’ve been trying to use strawberries in as many recipes as possible this spring. Just pinned it!

42. Jessica @ Cajunlicious April 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Wow Mj, this is what I am talking about for breakfast. I love banana pancakes and know I will now love them in waffles and the fresh fruit makes it extra yummy!

43. Treat and Trick April 16, 2012 at 8:43 am #

What a fabulous waffles! These are way too good, no fat and least sugar!

44. balvinder ( Neetu) April 16, 2012 at 8:28 am #

And By the way thanks for trying out baingan bharta recipe.

45. balvinder ( Neetu) April 16, 2012 at 8:27 am #

These waffles look good topped with fruits. I love how you incorporated spelt flour and mashed banana in the regular flour.

46. Sylvia@ Peaches and Donuts April 16, 2012 at 6:05 am #

That’s like the perfect breakfast MJ! It looks so delicious! I don’t own a waffle iron yet but maybe I should consider getting one soon once i find a space in the kitchen to keep it.! haha

• mj April 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

That’s how I feel about a slowcooker. Where on earth would I put it!?!?!

47. Liz April 16, 2012 at 5:41 am #

Oh, these look amazing, MJ! I adore waffles topped with fruit…and even better, with fruit in the batter. YUM!

48. easyfoodsmith April 16, 2012 at 4:46 am #

These look great! Love the toppings and the addition of banana. I had my first ever waffle last year while on my holiday in Belgium and I instantly fell in love with it :-)

• mj April 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

You first ever just last year!?!? Well, I’m sure it’s been hard to beat what you had in Belgium. Since you fell in love with them, you really should try making them at home. They are such a treat!

49. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 16, 2012 at 2:42 am #

I really want one of those old school waffle irons that you got in the 70s.

These waffles look incredible, and I love incorporating ripe bananas into pancakes and waffles. I don’t have a waffle iron but I will most definitely make pancakes!

50. Choc Chip Uru April 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Oh wow what I wouldn’t do to own a waffle iron – these look sensational :D

Choc Chip Uru

51. Suzi April 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

MJ, these waffles look really delicious. Love the nuts and fruit toppings. My choice also is the waffle for it’s crispiness on the outside. Pancakes are too soft. Glad you were able to find a replacement for that old trusty waffle iron, I remember those.

• mj April 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Those old waffles irons were the best! They just don’t make them like that anymore. Thanks for the comments as always!

52. Jen at The Three Little Piglets April 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Waffles are one of my favorite breakfast treats as well. When I was in college the cafeteria had these big Belgian waffle makers at brunch on the weekends. It was the only reason I got out of bed in the morning. They were just that good!

53. Ramona April 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Wow… what a way to start Sunday!! Gorgeous waffles :) I think I have to agree with you.. waffles are pretty fabulous and I also prefer them to pancakes! :) I’m glad you found a waffle maker that finally pleases you…. good to know if I’m ever in the market for one. :)

54. Jane April 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

MJ, this looks so good! I love breakfast, and waffles in particular! Thanks for the tip on the waffle maker … I have been looking for a good one! :)

1. Spicy Thai Noodles with Shrimp + Weekly Menu - March 3, 2013

[…] Thursday: Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans […]

2. Cornmeal Ricotta Pancake Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 18, 2012

[…] Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans […]

3. Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers 4/24 | Premeditated Leftovers - April 30, 2012

[…] 39. Banana Buttermilk Waffles […]