Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans

Given the choice between pancakes, waffles or crepes, I’ll take waffles any day! I love a waffle that’s crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, then topped with fresh fruit, nuts and warm maple syrup.  This banana buttermilk waffle recipe has been my “go to” recipe for years, but recently I have made a change in the flours that has taken something quite good and made it even better. The recipe uses an overripe banana in place of any oil or butter. I also use buttermilk to add more flavor and texture. A variety of toppings can be used so be sure to read the Kitchen Notes for suggestions.

My first waffle iron was one I inherited from my great aunt back in ’76. It was one of those heavy electric cast-iron waffle irons that produced a PERFECT waffle every single time. Unfortunately, I only had it for 15 years before it bit the dust.  Not bad for a kitchen appliance that was probably purchased in the 50′s! It took me about 5 years and 3 different waffle irons to find another one that came close to the waffles that my aunt’s made, but I finally found one that works. I use a Krups, 4-square Belgian waffle maker and love it! (No, I was not paid to say that. :) )

The flours – Recently my friend over at Tasty, Easy, Healthy, Green has turned me on to spelt flour so I decided to substitute my usual 1 cup of whole wheat flour with 1 cup of spelt. I really didn’t think these waffles could get any better, but the nuttiness of the spelt added another level of flavor and the texture was perfect.  One day I might get brave and use all spelt, but for now, the 1:1 ratio is perfect for us!  Of course you can always experiment with your own combination of flours, but I do highly recommend this one.

The banana – Overripe bananas are perfect for these waffles because they mash up quite nicely into a puree’ that incorporates into the batter. Also, the moisture of the banana and the buttermilk eliminate the need for butter or oil in the batter.  I normally use 1 large banana, but if the bananas I have are small, I’ll use 2.

The Buttermilk – What can I say? I like using buttermilk, especially in things like waffles, pancakes, and cornbread. It adds a richness and taste that you don’t get with milk. For the milk I use 1% because that’s what we have in the fridge.

The Strawberries – These waffles can be topped with just about any fruit. Just use what you have.  I love the strawberries as well a mixed berries.  You can also top it with chopped apples or more banana.

The pecans – Pecans are hard to beat. You can choose to pan roast them, but I don’t.  Walnuts and almonds can be used, but they are not near as good as pecans.

The maple syrup – The syrup on my mom’s table was either Log Cabin or Karo. Once I tasted maple syrup there was no turning back. Warmed maple syrup is hard to beat.

As a kid I use to make sure that every little hole in the waffle was filled with syrup before taking that first bite.  So you can only imagine that by the time I filled up every waffle hole, I had enough syrup on my plate for at least 4 squares!  Needless to say, I’ve cut WAY back on the amount of syrup.

Don’t have a Waffle Iron? – Not to worry – make pancakes! I’ve made pancakes with this same recipe and they were great!

What to do with leftover waffles?

I always make extra waffles for the leftovers.  Bobby’s favorite thing to do with leftover waffles is to fry an egg in bacon drippings and place it on a toasted waffle, followed with warm maple syrup.  Today for lunch I took it one step further. I added bacon!

What do you do with leftover waffles?

This recipe is part of the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more fabulous recipes!

April 2012 #berry love, Mix It Up Monday, My Meatless Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Hearth and Soul, Whole Food Wednesday, Foodie Friday, Katherine Martinelli’s Mother’s Day Hop, Made With Love Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Weekend Potluck, Breakfast Ideas Monday

The recipe was featured at Elsa Cooks’ Hearth and Soul blog hop and Made With Love Monday.

Tags: , , , ,

63 Responses to “Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans”

1. Kim @ Just Baked July 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

I’ve never had banana waffles, but I am always looking for new ways to use them. And, I love the strawberry banana combination. Looks delicious.

2. Kim @ Sunflower Supper Club May 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

These look delicious MJ! Thanks so much for linking up to the Weekend Potluck! Can’t wait to see what you bring this weekend!

3. Mom Photographer (@MomPhotographer) May 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

that sounds really good! I like the idea of using leftovers in such a creative way!

4. sally May 13, 2012 at 10:19 am #

So glad that you like the spelt flour! I’m still experimenting with it, but I love the nutty flavor it adds to baked goods. Angie over at Angie’s Recipes (http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/) has inspired me to use more spelt flour.

5. Joy Luster May 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

they sound like my kind of a Sunday morning feast. Can’t wait to make them.

6. Elsa May 1, 2012 at 6:18 am #

Hello! I featured your recipe in Hearth and Soul today. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely recipe!

7. Diane Balch April 27, 2012 at 7:56 am #

The spelt flour is an interesting and healthy addition. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

8. Lisa April 25, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

This looks divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

9. Elsa April 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

I love waffles too! I was just given a waffle iron the other day and I’ve been excited to give it a try. I will have to save this recipe and try it out this weekend. And as always, your pictures are stunning! Thanks so much for sharing with the Hearth and Soul!!

10. Food Jaunts April 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I definitely need to get a waffle maker. I’ve been resisting since I probably don’t need another kitchen appliance but I want it and I want to make these. Love the idea of using a banana instead of other oil/fat.

11. Viviane Bauquet Farre April 20, 2012 at 6:35 am #

It’s a shame that waffles aren’t yet as popular in the States as they are over in Europe. Anyways, MJ, these look like a fabulous way to start the day – fresh and golden!

12. Purabi Naha April 20, 2012 at 2:14 am #

I love waffles for breakfast and this looks super cool!! Bookmarked!

13. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 20, 2012 at 1:19 am #

I’d take waffles over pancakes any day too! We have a round waffle maker that can flip – before that was square kind that it was so hard to wash. Ever since we have a new waffle maker, we really enjoy making waffles on weekends. Ahem, not “we” it’s actually hubby’s job… I’m keeping this recipe. Using spelt sounds interesting. Your waffles make me hungry even at night time!

14. Raymund April 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

I would love this for breakfast, everyday :)

15. anh@anhsfoodblog.com April 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

There’s something so special about the waffle iron pan! I need to get one!

16. Anne@FromMySweetHeart April 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

MJ….I’d choose a waffle over pancakes or crepes any day, too! But I am ashamed to tell you….I’ve always made my waffles ‘plain’! You have inspired me to change that! We have waffles a couple of weekends each month…and you can be sure my next batch will be banana! These look absolutely perfect….nice and thick and golden brown and I know how sweet and chewy the insides must be! Your pictures, as usual, are just beautiful! : )

17. Deeps @ Naughty Curry April 19, 2012 at 10:16 am #

wow, the pics are just lovely! i love crisp waffles too, nothin beats it… i love the detailed explanations and substitutions u have mentioned this is such a helpful post bookmarking it for that day when i will own a waffle maker :)

18. Emily @Cleanliness April 19, 2012 at 9:39 am #

This looks like an absolutely perfect waffle recipe! I love it!!!

1. Spicy Thai Noodles with Shrimp + Weekly Menu - March 3, 2013

[...] Thursday: Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans [...]

2. Cornmeal Ricotta Pancake Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 18, 2012

[...] Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans [...]

3. Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers 4/24 | Premeditated Leftovers - April 30, 2012

[...] 39. Banana Buttermilk Waffles [...]