Capellini, Garlic, Lemon and Egg Pasta

Angel Hair pasta with preserved lemon, garlic, and topped with egg. #recipe #pasta #preservedlemons @MJsKitchen

I’m sure we all have our ridiculously easy dishes that we can fix on a lazy night in the kitchen or when we dine alone.  This Capellini with lemon, garlic and an egg is one of mine.  The most time-consuming part of the process is cooking the pasta and since it’s capellini (angel hair), it doesn’t take any time to cook once the water comes to a boil. The veggies can be chopped and sauteed by the time the pasta is done and then it’s just a matter of frying or poaching the egg.

I do use those wonderful preserved lemons I keep in the refrigerator, but if you don’t have any, you can always substitute lemon juice and zest, or even better Meyer Lemon and zest.  See my Kitchen Notes for more substitution ideas.

The lemon – This is really good with lemon zest and lemon juice (regular or Meyer lemon), but it’s fantastic with preserved lemons!  So if you have them, use them.

The vegetables – The garlic and onion are a must of course, but if you have a few leaves of greens such as spinach or chard, then chop them up and throw them in. Greens and lemon are a great combination.

Another great addition is Kalamata olives. Just chop a few up and throw them in with the cooked vegetables.

The fresh herb – I love tarragon and I especially love it with chicken and eggs.  I also grow it and it’s the first herb to be ready to pick in early spring and the last to freeze in the late fall. So when I made this last week, it was such a thrill to step outside and pick a fresh herb! If you don’t have tarragon, you can use just about any herb.  I’ve used basil and sage, both with great success!

The Romano – Of course you can substitute the Romano with Parmesan, I’m just a huge fan of Romano so I always have some in the fridge.

The egg – You can choose to use poached eggs if you want to cut back on the fat by omitting the butter, but I prefer fried eggs – sunny side up or overeasy.  There’s something about those crispy edges that form when an egg is fried in butter.

If you like this recipe, you’ll love these!

Lemony Orzo Salad – A great salad for parties, potlucks and picnics.

Preserved Lemon Rice - A delicious rice dish with preserved lemons, artichokes and egg.

This recipe has been linked up to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more wonderful recipes.

Foodie Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Mix It Up Monday!, My Meatless Monday, Just another Meatless Monday, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Whole Food WednesdaysWhole Foods Wednesday, Creative Thursday Link Party, Made w/ Luv Mondays, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Farm Girl Friday

This recipe was featured on Clever Chicks Blog Hop, October 2012

This recipe was featured on Foobuzz Top 9 March 12, 2012!

Tags: , , , , ,

71 Responses to “Capellini, Garlic, Lemon and Egg Pasta”

1. Lynne October 26, 2012 at 6:50 am #

I prepared this for dinner last night. OMG what a taste treat~! I always have preserved lemons on hand & everything else except for pasta & olive oil came from our Hacienda. I did add the Spinach & Kalmata olives (cured here last year) & eggs from our hens. I can’t begin to tell you what wonderful flavors we enjoyed. Thank you~! :)

• mj October 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Lynne, I’m SO glad you like this! It’s one of our favorite “go to” dishes. I can’t believe all of the ingredients that came from your Hacienda and surrounding area. What a great place to live! Thanks so much for your comment! It’s always great to know that people actually make and love your recipes! Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

2. Dani October 17, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

OOH, can’t use Pinterest when I’m at work. I’m going to have to “remember” this one the old-fashioned way!
    This looks lovely and sounds wonderful, and what a great way to use preserved lemons. I always see people preserving lemons, but I never know what to do with them–thanks for several ideas!

• mj October 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Thanks Dani! I hope you can find this again and actually make it. It’s great with the preserved lemons!

3. Kathy, The Chicken Chick October 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Thank you for linking this recipe up with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! I’m goint to try making the preserved lemons, I’m intrigued!

I hope to see you back on the Clever Chicks hop next week.

Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

4. cookingrookie May 19, 2012 at 11:34 am #

mmmm…. how gorgeous and delicious! I tried adding preserved lemons to pasta, it’s so good. And I love sunny side up eggs, so why not add them too :-). Such a happy dish :-)

5. Christi May 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Egg and pasta go so well together! This recipe looks great! Can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing.

6. Katherine Martinelli April 26, 2012 at 9:41 am #

I just love this! I am always looking for delicious, easy pasta recipes and this fits the bill. Plus it’s another great use for preserved lemons! Oh, and did I mention that I’m a sucker for anything with an egg on top?

7. Michelle April 20, 2012 at 3:15 am #

Hi MJ,

Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you make next. Yummy!

Hope to see you again next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

8. Baker Street April 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

This would make for a perfect mid week meal MJ! I love the idea of using preserved lemons here.

9. Michelle April 19, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Hi,

I followed you over from Mix it up Monday and this looks delicious! Always looking for more pasta recipes.

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

Have a great day,
    Michelle

• mj April 19, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Thanks Michelle! Consider it done!

10. April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

What a wonderful recipe – the flavours are so bright and fresh, and pasta with egg really is the ultimate in comfort food! I like the variations you shared as well!

11. Wine and Good Food April 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Love this dish idea! I am all about easy food that looks and tastes like it took a lot longer to prepare. I am pinning this for all of my friends to check out!

• mj April 19, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Thanks for the pin and the comment!

12. kitchenriffs April 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Easy, simple, fast – a perfect dinner for when I’m hungry and just need food and don’t want to think about it! Best of all, it sounds like the flavor is terrific. And how can you not like something topped with an egg? So pretty! Thanks for this.

13. Lisa April 16, 2012 at 11:55 am #

This looks amazing! I love the flavor combination and the egg on top! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

14. Chaya April 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

How did you know, I would love this? I am printing up the recipe and hope to make it, this week. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• mj April 15, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

I hope you do get a chance to make. If you do, please let me know how you like it. :)

15. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake April 15, 2012 at 7:19 am #

That looks so amazingly beautiful and frankly, even though it is easy and quick to prepare, I’d have no problem at all serving it to guests on a casual dinner as the good ingredients, deep flavours and fancy look make it special enough for me. :)

16. Deeps @ Naughty Curry April 15, 2012 at 3:37 am #

wow, looks awesome with the eggs and pasta

17. Magic of Spice April 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

This looks delightful…love these easy meals, and the preserved lemon adds such a nice touch!
    Hope you are having a great weekend :)

18. Giulietta | Alterkitchen April 14, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Never had egg on pasta… it sure makes a whole meal! :)

19. Sanjeeta kk April 14, 2012 at 5:23 am #

Aha..here goes another wonderful recipe of your preserved lemon..yum..yum, MJ!!

20. Diane Balch April 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Thanks for sharing your capellini. I’m a big fan, grab our button and we’ll see you back next week.

21. Mrs. Mordecai April 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

This is so fabulous in so many ways! We’re eating mostly meatless these days, and I am so excited to find a meat-free pasta recipe. And preserved lemons! I have always wanted to try them. I’m so excited to make some soon.

22. Nads April 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Addendum to previous post: I had a large serving left from yesterday, so today I added more sweet bell pepper and some leftover broccoli. Divided it in half for Jim and I. It made the perfect side to a piece of fish. YUM!

• mj April 13, 2012 at 10:50 am #

This does sound yummy!

23. Geraldine Saucier April 12, 2012 at 11:34 am #

This dish sounds fantastic:) I love the fact it is easy and quick to prepare. I am going to make preserved lemons before trying the recipe. Thanks for two great post – this one and the post on Preserved Lemons:_) Congratulations on Foodbuzz Top 9:)

• mj April 13, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Thanks! You’re going to love those preserved lemons! It’s amazing how many creative things you can do with them!

24. Nads April 12, 2012 at 8:31 am #

For some time now I have resisted the idea of lemon with pasta. For lunch yesterday I finally gave in. I made this recipe and was pleasanatly surprised! It was light and fresh. Usually pasta dishes are so heavy. This one was perfect for an already hot here in Houston lunch. I haven’t replenished all my herbs since we moved and I didn’t have any tarragon but I had a fresh bunch of cilantro and it worked fine. I’ve never made preserved lemons so I used fresh. Jim ate his with the egg and I had mine without. My only concern was that I think I would have liked it better with twice as much of the veggies. I always thought we were very adventurous eaters, but you have broaden our cusine culture. I will spend some time in the next day or two cooking the bags of Anaheim and Poblano peppers I bought and making your green chili sauce and sliced peppers for the freezer. They have now become a staple in our house. Who knows what’s next? Preserved lemons?! ;)

• mj April 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Thanks Nads for your comments! Glad you and Jim liked it! I knew I would get you to try pasta and lemon sooner or later. :) I agree that this could easier use more vegetables – the more vegetables – the better! With 8 ounces of pasta, this could easily handle a whole bell pepper and onion. Enjoy roasting up your chiles! Have you bought some lemons yet? :)

25. Corina April 12, 2012 at 7:35 am #

I love reading about what meals other people make when they are having a lazy night or just cooking for themselves. I’ve never tried preserved lemons but i love lemon and pasta so this sounds really tasty.

26. mj April 12, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Thanks for everyone for their wonderful comments! For those of you who have never tried an egg on top of pasta, you really need to. It’s a wonderful combination! Thanks also for the votes on Foodbuzz! What a pleasant surprise and what great bunch of friends!

27. Liz April 12, 2012 at 4:49 am #

CONGRATS on your Top 9!

28. Charles April 12, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Can you believe I’d never had a fried egg on top of a pasta dish until I met my wife? Hot-dog that combo is good. Great looking dish – not too heavy, perfect when your hungry but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen!

• mj April 13, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Good for your wife! :) Pasta and egg is a GREAT combo!

29. Food Jaunts April 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

You had me at the egg :) I think a fried egg always makes everything super tasty so the lemon and garlic is just the icing on top.

30. Cucina49 April 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

I so need to start making preserved lemons. This looks absolutely delicious–love the egg on top.

31. Tina (PinayInTexas) April 11, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Egg and pasta…such a brilliant combination! Love quick recipes like this, MJ!

32. Sissi April 11, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Simple and quick recipes are so welcome after the Easter holidays! This one looks delicious, but also quite original. I don’t think I have ever had a fried egg and lemon combination. Thanks for sharing.

33. vianney April 11, 2012 at 10:00 am #

so true, those crispy edges rock!! great recipe.

34. Sawsan @ chef in disguise April 11, 2012 at 7:30 am #

I just had lunch and your picture made me hungry
    I love a quick meal and this one sounds like an explosion of refreshing flavors.
    I love the addition of the egg on top

35. Cajunville April 11, 2012 at 6:18 am #

We do a lot with pasta and a lot with eggs. Never tried them together like this, definitely will. This dish reminds me of a lazy night dining on the porch.

36. anh@anhsfoodblog.com April 11, 2012 at 1:20 am #

This is my kind of meals, too! So simple and delicious

37. balvinder ( Neetu) April 10, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Oh Yeah! everyone does have these kind of lazy nights. I love pastas and anything with eggs.

38. Treat and Trick April 10, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

Great combo and satisfying meal!

39. sally April 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Another great recipe with preserved lemons. I love that it is so easy to make.

40. Liz April 10, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Who doesn’t love a ridiculously easy dinner? I’d skip the friend egg and dive right into your fabulous pasta!!!

41. ray April 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Anything that is easy and quick like this one, I’m there. It looks like this can be eaten on any time of the day or any type of meal. Hmm MJ, you gave me an idea for this delicious dish – Breakfast! :)

• mj April 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Breakfast – absolutely!

42. Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño April 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Oh MJ, yum yum yum. This looks so fresh and delicious, perfect for this time of year. I love it… and now I am totally hungry.

43. Jen at The Three Little Piglets April 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

That sounds WAY better than my lazy dishes as of late! I even resorted to a frozen dinner when I got home from work at 11:00 the other night!

44. Suzi April 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Oh MJ, this is a fantastic recipe. I love those preserved lemons and they go so well with garlic and oil and tarragon adds a unique flavor. A keeper for me and I try to keep those preserved lemons on hand. Great post.

45. Soni April 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Excellent recipe for lazy afternoons for me!I love the simplicity of this dish and the fact that its so easy to put together!Especially now that its the kids’ spring break, I can make this for their lunches as well :)Excellent MJ!!

46. Sylvia@Peaches and Donuts April 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Yum!! I love quick and easy dishes like this for those lazy days. There’s a nice courgette and lemon pasta that I usually do. :)

47. France @ Beyond The Peel April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am #

8 garlic cloves, preserved lemon and tarragon. Yum! What a great combination. This just sounds so lovely.

48. Rathai April 10, 2012 at 10:30 am #

The dish looks very professional, not lazy at all. And it is tempting me a lot. I love pasta but haven’t tried this particular type of pasta. Also, I always learn something new when visiting your website – I love that about your site.

• mj April 12, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Rathai – I’m so glad that I can introduce you to something new.. I feel the same about your site. I mean – where else would I learn about the murungai tree! :) Thanks for the nice comments as always!

49. Jane April 10, 2012 at 10:23 am #

This looks so good, but I am going to try the preserved lemons! I love lemons, I imagine they are fabulous on anything!

50. Javelin Warrior April 10, 2012 at 9:54 am #

MJ, this looks fantastic and so easy! I’ve never paired pasta with eggs (at least not that I can remember) but I will be now ;) I love the idea of added kalamata olives – I actually have some in the fridge right now so this would be a great way to use them up…

• Javelin Warrior June 25, 2012 at 10:48 am #

I love being reminding to revisit delicious food! Thanks so much for sharing this with Made with Love Mondays, MJ. I think you may have forgotten to add the link-back to the series for this recipe ;)

51. Allen@Cook! Bake! Share! April 10, 2012 at 9:16 am #

I agree – beautiful photo! I am making this before the week is out! Thank you, once again, for a great recipe! Allen.

52. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 10, 2012 at 8:54 am #

I like quick fix recipe, and I especially need it for lunch time! I rely on leftover dinner for our lunch but sometimes I have no leftover, and kids get bored with similar sandwich options, so this will come in VERY handy for me! I love the egg on pasta, and lemon brings appetite and love the light dish like this. Gorgeous photo MJ!

53. MaryAnne April 10, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Oh, that looks lovely! I really need to start growing my own herbs as it’s really hard to find fresh ones here. My go-to dish these days has been anything involving tortillas/chilies/sauteed…something! I keep a ball of dough in the fridge wrapped in a moist teatowel in a ziploc bag that can be hauled out to make quick tortillas. Whatever meat and veggies I can find are sauteed in your roasted garlic-chili oil (thank you!) and we end up with something resembling tacos…or burritos…or quesadillas or… you get the idea.

• mj April 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

I’ve got to start making my own tortillas! I have started making my own pizza dough so it’s logical that tortillas are next. Another one of my go-to meals is red chile cheese enchiladas. All of your Mex food sounds wonderful!

54. Judy@Savoring Today April 10, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Everyone has to have their go-to easy meals to ward off pizza delivery, right?! I imagine the soft yolk would add a rich creaminess to this dish. Nice and simple is the way to go.

55. Ramona April 10, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Great dish MJ! I love the egg on top… Mmmmmm! Pastas are my go to (lazy cooking) dishes too. :) Hope you had a nice Easter! :) Have a great week my friend. ~ Ramona

1. Fennel Spiced Ham and Mushroom Pasta | MJ's Kitchen - May 4, 2014

[…] once every two weeks I’ll make a pasta dish.  At times it’s my fallback dish Capellini with Lemon, Garlic and an Egg (quick, easy and delicious), but most of the time I just throw a pasta together using a […]

2. How to Make Preserved Lemons | MJ's Kitchen - March 29, 2014