Preserved Lemon Rice

Rice with preserved lemons and artichoke hearts @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

If you read my Preserved Lemon post from last summer you know that preserved lemons are one of my most favorite condiments and that I always have a jar in the fridge.  One of my favorite uses of preserved lemons is in this rice recipe. The rice takes only 30 minutes to make and it’s packed with flavor, vegetables and a little protein. It could be a meal or a side for fish or chicken.  No matter how you serve it – it’s SO good!

Just to give you an idea of how well preserved lemons last in the fridge, the lemons below were put up in August and they still look beautiful don’t they?!  If you don’t happen to have a jar of preserved lemons in the fridge, you can easily make just what you need by using my Quick Preserved Lemons method in less than 24 hours.

preserved lemons @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

Rice with preserved lemons and artichoke hearts @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

Any leftovers heat up well in the microwave, making it a great side for a second/third meal or a couple of lunches.

I don’t use additional salt because with the preserved lemons and artichoke hearts, there is plenty of salt for our taste.

The rice – I prefer Jasmine rice over any other. I’ve made this with Basmati and Arborio, but didn’t like the texture of either.

The lemons – This recipe may work with lemon zest and lemon juice, but I know it wouldn’t be near as good so I’ve never tried it. You can acquire preserved lemons three ways:  buy them, put a jar up yourself using my Preserved Lemons method or put up just what you need the night before using my Quick Preserved Lemons method.

Variation with meat – In 1 Tbsp. olive oil sauté 8 sliced shitake mushrooms until soft. Add 1 cup cooked chicken or turkey and heat through. Add chicken and mushroom to the rice along with the Romano cheese.

Suggested sides – This rice goes great with grilled salmon, roast chicken, grilled chicken, grilled steak or anything smoked. A great dish for parties or pot lucks because it’s as good at room temperature as it is hot.

If you like this recipe, then you might try these.

Lemony Pasta Salad

Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer with toastRoasted Bell Pepper Appetizer

This Preserved Lemon Rice recipe has been linked to the following blog hops. Please click on the links to visit a variety of great recipes.

Gallery of Favorites, Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday, My Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Fat Tuesday, Midweek Fiesta, Whole Foods Wednesday, Weekly Recipe Swap, Full Plate Thursday, Traditional Tuesdays, Seasonal Potluck – Artichokes, Taste This Thursday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Katherine Martinelli’s Grain blog hop, Hearth and Soul, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Bizzy’s Recipe Box, Gluten-Free Friday

Tags: , , , , , ,

56 Responses to “Preserved Lemon Rice”

1. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) October 10, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I can literally just close my eyes and imagine the taste of this! YUM, what a fun flavor this would be!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party last week! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you’ll join us this week to share more yummies! Also, be sure to stop back by to see who the winner of the Planet Rice will be! The winner will be announced at GFF #9 Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

2. meghan@eat.live.make October 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

This looks absolutely amazing!! Thank you so much for linking up with us at gluten free fridays. I can’t wait to try out preserving lemons of my own.

3. Elsa May 7, 2012 at 5:56 am #

I’m definitely a fan of preserved lemons, so this would be a hit for me! I just love visiting your blog. You always have great recipes, stunning pictures and beautiful dishes! :) Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul!

4. Betsy March 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

I definitely want to try preserving some lemons so I can make this! We just launched the all new seasonalpotluck.com and March is artichoke month. If you’d like to link up your recipe, we’d love to have you! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo

5. France @ Beyond The Peel February 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

I would eat just this for dinner! Yum…artichokes and lemons. Beautiful.

6. Sherry February 23, 2012 at 9:14 am #

I love this idea now all I need are preserved lemons! Cool blog, Best Sherry

7. Amy February 19, 2012 at 6:20 am #

mouthwatering by reminding the taste of preserved lime together in rice…thanks for sharing this recipe with Midweek Fiesta….

8. Miz Helen February 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

What a great recipe that I can’t wait to try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

I’ve never thought of lemon and rice together. This sounds amazing MJ! I’m a big fan of citrus taste and I can only imagine this rice goes so well with any of the meals. And I have to say I love your bowls very much…love the texture!

10. Jen at The Three Little Piglets February 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

That sounds delicious! I’ve never heard of preserved lemons like that, but I can think of like a zillion things they’d be good in!

11. Treat and Trick February 17, 2012 at 3:26 am #

I haven’t tried preserved lemons before but your recipe makes me want to try them right away. Yummy!

12. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale February 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

I simply adore lemons, and this sounds so amazing. I’m so glad you linked it up! Thank you.

13. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Ooh… I love this MJ! What a great use for preserved lemons and the artichoke is such a pleasant surprise. I can just taste this aromatic combination now… delightful.

14. Nisa Homey February 16, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Hi MJ, Wow this is a great idea, my kids love South Indian Lemon Rice so much that I always stock lemons. …I will be trying out with this. I am subscribing you for more exciting recipes.Blessings, Nisa.

15. Viviane Bauquet Farre February 16, 2012 at 6:41 am #

Wow, MJ – scrumptious! Serving your home-preserved lemons in such a way really brings out the best in them as far as color, appearance, and (I’m sure!) taste. As usual your photography is polished to a T.

16. fati's recipes February 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

That’s such a great recipe! I can really imagine all the fragrant and flavoursome tastes in the dish complementing each other. The preserved lemons are new to me… will be heading off to read how they’re done :)

17. Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty February 15, 2012 at 11:35 am #

preserved lemons really do have a different flavour than regular fresh lemons. the brilliant citrus saltiness of them gets me every time. High five for preserved lemon junkies!

18. Steve @ the black peppercorn February 15, 2012 at 10:41 am #

I TOTALLY remember your post on preserved lemons. i have often thought that I want to make those. This looks great!

19. Jessica @ Cajunlicious February 15, 2012 at 9:32 am #

Mj, please please bring this over for lunch!! This is incredible, I love using lemon in rice and potatoes.

20. Suzi February 15, 2012 at 9:17 am #

MJ this rice sounds really yummy, I am going to make. I am always looking for new rice recipes. Now I am heading over to check out how to preserve the lemons. I love this. Happy belated Valentine’s Day my friend.

21. Ann February 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Oh, MJ! This dish is STUNNING! I love lemons in non-traditional dishes – like rice! This one is really, really cool! Thank you for posting…I am in l.o.v.e!

22. mj February 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

O.K. folks – I think it’s really time for a raid on lemons! I promise – if you make a jar of preserved lemons you won’t regret it! You’ll find SO many ways to use them. Thanks for all the wonderful comments! It’s always good hearing from my visitors! BTW – did you notice that I added a “subscribe by email”?

23. Ramona February 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Beautifully done!! I bet that rice just sings!! I am so impressed by your preserved lemons too. They look stunning after being preserved months ago. Wow! I have to get off my butt and make some. :) I hope you are having a great week and enjoying your valentine celebrations… hope they were extra sweet. :)

24. Jill@RealFoodForager.com February 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

25. Miriam February 14, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I don’t have any preserved lemons but now you’ve tempted me into making some. :)
    The rice looks fabulous!
    Happy Valentine’s Day!!
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

26. kitchenriffs February 14, 2012 at 8:38 am #

Great recipe – I love lemons in anything, and preserved lemons have a special zing that is irresistible. Which reminds me – I haven’t made preserved lemons in ages. Thanks for the reminder that it’s time to do so again! Anyway, really nice recipe – thanks.

27. Soni February 14, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Such a lovely and comfoting rice dish.Never made preserved lemons,but they look mouthwatering!!I can imagine the tangy citrusy deliciousness of lemons and artichokes in there.

28. Tes February 14, 2012 at 1:34 am #

What a wonderful idea! I have never thought of using preserved lemon this way :)

29. Cucina49 February 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

This looks amazing! I really need to make some preserved lemons–this post will give me the nudge to do so.

30. Food Jaunts February 13, 2012 at 10:39 am #

I’m sad I wasn’t following you last summer and so missed that post. Looks delicious – I’ve been wanting to experiment with preserved lemons and this seems like a perfect way to get my feet wet.

31. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen February 13, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Oh how I love this! So clever and SO delicious!

32. Katherine Martinelli February 13, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Yum!! I love preserved lemons and actually just bought some small ones (aka limequats) to preserve. Once I do I’ll have to make this rice :-)

33. Baker Street February 13, 2012 at 5:26 am #

what a fabulous idea. never used preserved lemons in rice but i absolutely love the idea.

34. Sawsan@chef in disguise February 13, 2012 at 12:50 am #

I love this recipe MJ. I love lemons and this rice must be so fragrant and tasty. I think I will give it a go the next time I am making roasted chicken

35. vianney February 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

The lemon rice look amazing, packed with goregous flavor and perfect for citrus season.

36. Magic of Spice February 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Oh heavens, I can just imagine this glorious aroma! Beautiful dish…love it!

37. Karen February 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Preserved lemons so good. Thank you for the recipe.

38. Alea February 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

The lemon rice looks delicious! I have to tell you I really admire your photography skills, I love how include so many kitchen notes, and I think including a thumbnail along with the related posts is brilliant. Your site is so lovely and well organized that it is always a pleasure to visit!

• mj February 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Alea – Thanks for such nice comments! You really made my day! I’m new to being behind the camera, so the photography is a real challenge but I have a good teacher (the husband,a professional photographer). It’s been great getting to know you through our blogs and food. See you again soon over at Premeditated Leftovers!

39. Sissi February 12, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Preserved lemons in 24 hours? I am amazed it can be so quick. The rice looks fantastic. I can almost feel the enticing lemon aroma through the screen :-)

40. sally February 12, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Your preserved lemons have been on my list of things to make for way to long. I am going to buy some lemons and make them today!

• mj February 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Great Sally! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

41. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 12, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Your lemon rice sounds delicious – I can think of so many things it would complement as well. I like your preserved lemons as well, and also that there are two ways to make them! Thank you for sharing this post.

42. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 12, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Wow, MJ, this rice looks delicious! And I love the combination between lemon and artichokes :)

43. Reem | Simply Reem February 12, 2012 at 12:58 am #

What a wonderful recipe!!!
    I use preserved lemons in stews n soup, I am so trying this one..
    Yumm…

44. Anne@FromMySweetHeart February 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

MJ….I have never heard of anything like this before…..but I love what I’m seeing and reading! I LOVE rice recipes both savory and sweet. This one is totally unique! I bet this would be well paired with seafood! Thanks also for your recipe for the quick preserved lemon recipe. This (and your pictures) looks just fabulous! : )

• mj February 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Thanks so much for all your nice comments Anne! Yes, this rice is wonderful with seafood! A little cajun spiced shrimp on top works great!

45. Charles February 11, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Hi MJ – I loved reading your preserved lemon recipe – I love lemons so much… something about them seems so beautiful and pure. Always good to see uses for them – I think you’re right… jasmine rice would be a perfect accompaniment. I’m surprised you didn’t enjoy the basmati, but I can definitely see arborio not being so good!

• mj February 12, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

I think it’s more that I prefer the texture of the rice with Jasmine. If I didn’t have Jasmine, I would substitute it with basmati even though it yields a little “grainier” result. I agree with you above lemons – beautiful and pure!

46. sally February 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Thank you for this recipe! I made your preserved lemons a while back so it’s good to have another wonderful recipe!

47. Rathai February 11, 2012 at 9:49 am #

I just had lunch but your beautiful clicks are making me hungry again. The lemon rice looks very tempting.

1. 30+ Recipes Using Preserved Lemons | MJ's Kitchen - February 14, 2014

[…] Preserved Lemon Rice […]

2. How to Make Preserved Lemons | MJ's Kitchen - June 16, 2013

[...] Preserved Lemon Rice [...]

3. Spiced Tofu Brochettes | Cooking's Good - March 8, 2012

[...] a little while back after reading MJ’s recipe.  You can find her preserved lemon recipe at MJ’s Kitchen.  Thanks [...]

4. Gallery of Favorites 3/2 | Premeditated Leftovers - March 2, 2012

[...] Recipe from MJ’s Kitchen. MJ has shared several delicious recipes with the Gallery including Preserved Lemon Rice and Garlic Soup. MJ has spent over 30 years creating new recipes for family and friends. She says [...]

5. Recipe: Jamaican Curry - February 13, 2012

[...] Gallery of Favorites (Thanks MJ for turning me on to a fun blog hop – check out her post for Preserved Lemon Rice) This entry was posted in Lamb and tagged easy, Jamaican, simple. Bookmark the permalink. [...]