Potato and Leek Soup

Leek and potato soup  mjskitchen.com   This is just one of our favorite winter soups, because we do have many. Leeks and potatoes are abundant here this time of year so it’s easy to find the ingredients. I usually make a big batch and then have it for a couple of suppers and lunches during the week. Sometimes I’ll add other ingredients to the leftovers to change things up a bit. See Kitchen Notes for some variations.

Leek and Potato Soup @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

The toppings – One guess as to what my favorite topping is – bacon!  A little bacon and Romano is a great finish to this soup. However, for a vegetarian version Romano or Feta and fresh onion works great as well.  The bacon and onion add another texture to the soup. Soup variations – Do you have a soup that is a “base” for a variety of other soups?  For me, this one is it. As you can see from the recipe, 8 cups of potatoes make a lot of soup.  That allows us to have two different soups in one week if we want, with only a few changes.  Here are a couple of changes you can make to any leftovers – if you choose:

• Pureed version – puree’ the soup and finish with a little heavy cream and a generous dose of white pepper or to taste.  As with any potato soup, be careful when you puree’ it. An over-pureed potato soup becomes pasty.
  • Southwestern version – Add some roasted, peeled and chopped poblano pepper or green chile pepper. Either stir in Monterey Jack cheese or use it as a topping. If you have some leftover chicken in the fridge, add it to the soup. To really jazz it up, top the soup with crumbled, cooked Mexican chorizo.

Suggested sides – Our favorite side is buttermilk cornbread.  We also like chips or crackers, like the wonton crackers below. If we’re eating the southwestern version, flour tortilla works great.

Easy Wonton Crackers

Baked Wonton Crackers mjskitchen.com Tasty little crackers in 10 minutes. A great side for my Leek and Potato Soup.

This soup and crackers have been linked to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more tasty recipes. Sunday Night Soup Night, Mouthwatering Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits (Wonton Crackers), Gluten-Free Wednesdays, This Chick Cooks, Bake With Bizzy, Made With Love Monday, Whole Food Wednesday, My Meatless Monday, Frugal Food Thursday (Wontons) This soup recipe was featured on Made with Love Monday on March 2012.

Tags: , , , ,

58 Responses to “Potato and Leek Soup”

1. Mary @ Fit and Fed June 25, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Just found your blog today and wow, love how intelligent and thoughtful this post is with all the links to the science behind this recipe. I don’t think you’ve retired from education!

2. Javelin Warrior March 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Leeks are one of my favorite foods in the onion family and I feel they’re terribly underused so I’m so glad you shared this with Made with Love Mondays. I’ve never squeezed lime over potato soup before but I’m intrigued and will have to try =)

3. Susan with Permanent Posies March 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

Well, those look fun….and crispy. Great idea to serve with soup.

4. Jeannie March 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

I love soups especially on cold wet days and those wanton crackers look great! Will give it a try as I have wanton skin in my fridge:D

5. Ramona February 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Here I am late for the soup party. Darn!! I am such a goof… I see the box below to subscribe for the first. I’m clicking that now and I hope to never be late again. :) Sign me up for a big bowl of soup with some bacon topping. Luckily I’m not freezing from taking pictures in 30degree weather tonight. :)

6. Sawsan@chef in disguise February 13, 2012 at 12:59 am #

That is the very definition of comfort food..just looking at it makes me feel warm
    I love all your toppings. Very creative and tasty

7. Magic of Spice February 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

What a beautiful soup…I must try a vegetarian version of this :) And the crackers are fantastic!

8. mj February 11, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments! If you make the soup I do hope you enjoy it as much as we do. The wonton crackers I did on a whim because I had no bread or crackers in the house. I was shocked at how wonderful they were. I dusted some with smoked paprika last night – Delicious! I know you’ll all enjoy them. Thanks again!

9. Rathai February 11, 2012 at 6:51 am #

The soup looks warm, flavourful and delicious. This is the first soup that made me all warm just by looking at it. And the wanton crackers look heavenly. I love the presentation! :)

10. Katherine Martinelli February 11, 2012 at 4:45 am #

Yum, I haven’t made potato and leek soup in ages but it’s one of my favorites! I can’t wait to try your version soon. The wonton crackers are a great idea!

11. easyfoodsmith February 10, 2012 at 9:51 am #

This soup has been on my ‘to try’ list for so long that I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for this post…it refreshed my memory! I believe your recipe would be great for that! It sounds delicious.

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 10, 2012 at 1:25 am #

I just remembered that I made potato leek soup last year but this year I even forgot about it. Thank you for posting this – I would rather try a new version and yours seem perfect. I’m going to make some dumplings this weekend, and will also make wonton crackers if there are leftovers too!

13. Little Mommy February 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

This soup looks great!

14. Jersey Girl Cooks February 9, 2012 at 8:40 am #

I love soup in the winter. This looks like a great one.

15. vianney February 9, 2012 at 2:50 am #

we have been enjoying big bowls of soup lately after heavy foods from the Super Bowl, loving the crispy wontons.. yummy soup!

16. Chef Matt February 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Food Crazie blog. To show my appreciation for your support, I added this site to my Crazie Good Blog list on my blog. Thanks again!

• mj February 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Thanks chef Matt!

17. Chaya February 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

These wonton crackers are ingenious. This has to go on the MUST MAKE list. They are easy to make and I am betting, they are tasty. Thanks so much for sharing this.

I just realized, I have round wontons. I have to go get some square ones. I like the round ones for filling.

18. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I think leek is one of my very favourite things in soup… it’s funny, have you ever tried eating fresh, raw leek? It tastes like onion; rather strong. But when cooked it takes on a much milder aroma and the texture is ideal. Love it here in combination with your delightful herb choices and other vegetables – the red pepper is so pretty. Beautiful soup MJ.

19. Tina (PinayInTexas) February 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Your potato and leek soup looks so comforting, MJ! I would love to try it with your wonton crackers! Fantastic combo!

20. Jessica @ Cajunlicious February 8, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Mj, this is one of my absolute favorite comfort soups!

21. German Mama February 8, 2012 at 7:06 am #

I’m a sucker for soups – steaming hot ones in the winter and chilled soups in the summer. This sounds so great. I just love the combination of herbs and the addition of mustard powder.

22. Suzi February 8, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Mj this is a perfect soup. I love potatoes and leeks and I like that addition of mustard powder. I never thought of that, spice it up a bit. I am loving those wonton crackers too with the garlic infused oil. Yum!

23. Paula @ Spoons 'n' Spades February 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

Mmmm, I love soup, so warm and comforting. Leek and potato is delicious! Love your wonton crackers, fab idea :-))

24. Anne@FromMySweetHeart February 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

MJ…this soup is beautiful! I love potatoes and I love leeks as well. But the first time I worked with leeks, I didn’t wash them well enough! Yikes! It was like eating the beach! This recipe makes me want to give it another try! : )

• mj February 10, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Yikes! Yes – poorly wash leeks is not pleasant! I usually chop the leeks then transfer them to a colander and rinse. It seems to work, because I’m not crunchy on grit. ;)

25. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food February 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

This looks so tasty, and i love the idea that different soups can be made from the same base – I never thought about that before! Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon! Pinned for future reference :)

26. kitchenriffs February 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

One of my favorite soups! And I still have some frozen turkey stock from our Christmas turkey. It’d be perfect in this. I usually don’t add extras to my soup, but like the idea of bacon. But then I’ll put bacon on anything. Anyway, thanks!

27. Food Jaunts February 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Love those wonton crackers! I’d go Southwestern on the soup but still keep the wonton chips sprinkled with a bit of Chipotle chili powder – yummy!

28. Manu February 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Yum! That sounds (and look) like a great soup! And I love all the little variations too! I had never thought of making crackers out of wonton wrappers: that’s so clever! I love it!

29. anh@anhsfoodblog.com February 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

One of my favourite soup!! Lovely.

30. Sissi February 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

This heartwarming soup looks perfect for our horrible weather, but the wonton crackers are amazing! It’s one of the most creative ideas I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing the quickest and easiest snack recipe!

31. April H February 7, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Yummy! This would be good today – it’s chilly this morning!

32. Jen at The Three Little Piglets February 7, 2012 at 7:55 am #

It is really chilly out here this morning, and I would love a nice bowl of soup to warm me up! On a total sidebar, I cannot seem to get your RSS button to work for the life of me! It just gives me a string of gobbldy gook…

33. sally February 7, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Looks great! I usually puree potato and leek soup, but I like that you just mashed the potatoes instead.

34. Deeps @ Naughty Curry February 7, 2012 at 2:09 am #

looks so warming, hearty & delecious! loved the wanton chips idea too :)

35. Terri @ that's some good cookin' February 7, 2012 at 1:14 am #

MJ, this soup looks so delicious. I am a soup fan and never get tired of it. No doubt I will be making your soup this week. Thanks so much for sharing.

36. Baker Street February 6, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

MJ! This is totally my kind of soup. Love your pictures.

37. Nads February 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

As promised, I made this soup tonight. “Very, Very Good.” “Very, Very Tasty,” were among the understated comments the guys made the whole time they were eating. The image of them holding their bowls up to let the last drop of their second bowls drip into their mouths said even more. JT said he is already looking forward to his lunch tomorrow because he predicts it wiill be even better tomorrow when the herbs have had time to blend. My wonton wrappers in the freezer turned out to be spring roll wrappers. Thinner but just as good. Everyone loved them. “They satisfy that need to have some kind of bread or cracker with soup but without the heaviness.” “Perfect to go with the soup or on their own as a light snack.” No surprise – excellent job MJ!

• mj February 6, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

I am SO THRILLED that you all loved the soup and the crackers! Thanks for letting me know! And yes – it will be even better tomorrow as all soups are! You’re the greatest Nads!

38. Sylvia@Peaches and Donuts February 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

This came just at the right time as I’m on a lookout for delicious soup recipes since it’s so cold over here! Wanton crackers are a great idea!

39. Nads February 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Guess what I’m having for dinner tonight! WOW! This sounds perfect for helping me clear some of the broth and frozen peppers and wraps out of the freezer. With the move coming up, I’m trying to use up what I have in the freezer. This will make a dent and a delicious meal. Potatoes soup is one of JT’s favs anyway you make it.

40. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 6, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Potato and leek is a great combination (especially in soups, but also as a pizza topping)… I’d love this soup tonight: I’m freezing!

• mj February 6, 2012 at 10:44 am #

I’ve never had leek and potato on pizza and why not! It sounds delicious! Sounds like you need to make a pot of soup and warm up! I’m looking at a lot of warm soups and comfort food this week to stay warm. Thanks for the pizza idea!

41. Kelly February 6, 2012 at 8:48 am #

These look so delicious!! Also wanted to let you know I featured your sweet and spicy pepitas in my favorite appetizer picks today! xoxo

• mj February 6, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Thanks Kelly!!! There were some great treats on that SB hop!

42. Ellen February 6, 2012 at 6:53 am #

Out of 5 in my house, I’m the only soup lover. This looks so good I may make a smaller batch to enjoy myself!

Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I’m your newest follower and look forward to finding more great recipes. ~ Ellen

• mj February 6, 2012 at 10:35 am #

How can anyone not like soup!?!? It takes all kinds and I’m sure that’s a challenge for you! :) Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I look forward to sharing with you.

43. Cajunville February 6, 2012 at 5:32 am #

Almost bought wonton wrappers yesterday. Will now have to go back and purchase a pack. This sounds easy and great for snacking. It is on my list for preparing. Thanks

• mj February 6, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Hope you like the crackers! They were one of those “let’s see if this works” and it did! Just don’t use an insulated cookie sheet. They don’t get crispy enough.

44. Sanjeeta kk February 6, 2012 at 4:06 am #

Oh..wow..those wonton crackers and the filling soup would make a perfect dinner for me!

45. Italian Notes February 6, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Interesting variation over the classic potato and leek soup. I normally blend it to a cream (without the red pepper), but I think a bit of texture would do it good.

46. ping February 6, 2012 at 1:08 am #

The absolute comfort soup! I love potato anything soups. They somehow make them into more of a main course rather than a starter soup. And with a good crusty bread, I’d be on cloud nine! Those wonton crackers are brilliant!

47. Treat and Trick February 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Absolutely comforting and delicious! Love the variations you’ve mentioned too..

48. Charles February 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

This is just my favourite soup of all – nothing, just *nothing* beats potato and leek soup! I usually don’t bother topping it, but after seeing your suggestions I’m starting to wonder what’s wrong with me. Scallions, bacon, feta… oh my – I love all of those… why have I never put them on my soup before! :)

• mj February 6, 2012 at 10:37 am #

:) If you haven’t picked it up by now, I’m a topping fanatic! I put toppings on everything especially soups. It’s such an adventure! :)

1. Wordless Wednesday: Homemade Corn Tortillas | Spicie Foodie Gluten Free Mexican Tortilla Recipe - April 3, 2013

[...] Humpty Dumpty Kitchen – Pita Bread by Pastry Affair – Chapatis (Indian Bread) by An Edible Mosaic – Wonton Crackers Recipe by MJ’s [...]

2. Dragon-Baiting Roasted Chili-Garlic Wonton Crisps | Wok With Me, Baby Dragon-Baiting Roasted Chili-Garlic Wonton Crisps | Watch me try to cook non-Chinese food in China - February 17, 2012

[...] recipes came from the same place, a lovely blog I stumbled upon the other day. The writer has an earthy energy that I relate to and, unlike half the other food [...]