Sweet and Spicy Citrus Salad

Remember those sweet and spicy pepitas in my last post?  Well, here’s a great way to use them to add a little spice to some sweet oranges, tangerines or grapefruit.  The oranges in the picture are Cara Cara’s, a type of naval orange and my favorite orange. They’re almost the color of grapefruit aren’t they? If you haven’t tried one, you don’t know what you’re missing!  I can find them at my local co-op only during December and January so I try to eat as many as I can.  They make great afternoon snacks and salads.

This is a simple salad of orange slices, sweet and spicy pepitas, an herb or two and a simple dressing.

Other recipes you might like:

Citrus Salad with Toasted Seeds and Maple Dressing

Strawberry, Coconut and Pinon Salad

This recipe has been linked to the CitrusLove Blog Hop, It’s a Keeper ThursdayFull Plate Thursday, The Gallery of Favorites, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Weekend Potluck, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday.  Click on the link and see lots of great recipes!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Sweet and Spicy Citrus Salad”

1. LoL Free Riot Points October 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog
    and will eventually come back in the foreseeable future.

I want to encourage that you continue your great work, have a nice weekend!

2. Baker Street February 6, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Easy peasy and full of flavor. Love it.

3. Laurie January 27, 2012 at 5:12 am #

We love citrus salads and usually add a crunch. We have never tried pumpkin seeds, so that will be our next adventure. Thanks.

4. Sawsan January 24, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I love the color of that orange MJ, I thought it was a grapefuit.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing salad

5. Biren @ Roti n Rice January 24, 2012 at 7:38 am #

What a beautiful salad! I see those pepitas…you must have saved some for the salad. :) This would be perfect for my lunch until the next diet-busting celebration.

6. Tina (PinayInTexas) January 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

What a good way of using your sweet & spicy pepitas, MJ! I love this – so simple and light, but delicious!

7. Treat and Trick January 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

What a gorgeous fruit and fantastic salad!

8. Cucina49 January 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

I love entree salads…I am making note of this recipe to try it soon, maybe with the addition of chicken.

9. mj January 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Thanks everyone for your comments! Gotta take advantage of the fresh citrus while we can. :) Enjoy!

10. Monica @ TheYummyLife January 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Wow! What a fabulous combination. I can tell before tasting it that I will love this one. Yum!

11. Magic of Spice January 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

They do have the color of grapefruits! I adore citrus salads and love this one, they brighten up the coldest days :)

12. easyfoodsmith January 23, 2012 at 5:17 am #

Lovely and refreshing salad. The addition of pumpkin seeds sounds a great for texture.

13. Suzi January 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Hi MJ, I am so glad that you put this on Foodbuzz. Buzzed you. Keep putting them on.

14. Jennifer Eloff January 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Lovely! :) It looks delightfully fresh and pretty! The pumpkin seeds are an unusual addition.

15. Nads January 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

This sounds really refreshing. I can see it with toast or hotcakes at breakfast or with a toastite sandwich at lunch. (I found my press) Of course at our house I would have to find a substitute for the pumpkin seeds due to allergies. Maybe just have the oranges alone with the dressing? Either way, I’ll try it soon. Oh, and I love it that you now have a link to print out the recipes. Very cool. I’ve already used it.

• mj January 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

WooHoo! You found your press! I love my toastite and yes, I bet this does go great with a taostite sandwich! Yeh – Just leave off the seeds. This salad doesn’t need much if you have good oranges! Glad you like the fact that I added ‘print this’! It took me a while. :)

16. Miz Helen January 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Your salad looks delicious. I just love a wonderful Citrus Salad in the winter, it is so refreshing. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

17. Alea Milham January 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

What a lovely and delicious salad! My m-i-l lives in California and often makes citrus salads from the fruit from their trees – I have never seen anybody else do it before, but I know they are wonderful. Thank you for sharing this with the Gallery of Favorites.

18. sally January 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

What a great use for those sweet and spicy pepitas! I love that citrus is in season!

19. Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) January 21, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Love it! So pretty. Thanks for linking it at Weekend Potluck. I’m pinning.

20. April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 21, 2012 at 10:09 am #

This salad look wonderful – I love the sweet and spicy flavours you have used and the different types of citrus. We get blood oranges this time in the UK (they are a gorgeous colour and very sweet) and I think I will use them in this salad. I’d love it if you would share this post with the Gallery of Favourites – it’s a lovely taste of sunshine in the winter!

• mj January 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

I loved to taste this salad with blood oranges! I bet it’s fabulous! Thanks for the invite to your gallery. The link has been made.

21. Suzi January 21, 2012 at 9:50 am #

MJ, this citrus salad looks fresh and tasty. I have navel oranges in my backyard but not that type. I have grapefruit also and those oranges look like the grapefruit. Beautiful color. Have a happy weekend.

22. Soni January 21, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Lovely salad MJ!I love your addition of spicy pepitas, adds a nice crunch and spice!Yum..

23. Joan Nova January 21, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Simple, clean and flavorful…very nice!

24. Ann January 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

What a stunning salad! I really like not only the spicy/sweet but the textural differences!

25. Food Jaunts January 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

I have to, have to, have to try this. I tried to make the Ensalada de Noche Buena from Cooking Light and it was horrible but I loved the idea of doing a citrus salad. I’m definitely going to need to give your a shot, it seem infinitely tastier.

• mj January 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

I definitely hope it’s tastier! I haven’t seen the CL salad, but now I’m curious. Hope you do get a chance to make and find it quite enjoyable!

26. Sharyn Dimmick January 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

This looks simple and useful — just the thing for citrus season. Thank you.

27. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

This looks so fresh and hydrating MJ not to mention an ideal dose of vitamin C. I like the dots of green herbs and the honey dressing… your spicy pepitas are perfect here! (when I first looked at the photo I thought it was grapefruit which would be equally delicious with your sweet and spicy pepitas…)

• mj January 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Yes, grapefruit works great! In fact, a couple nights ago we used both the Cara Cara and a pink grapefruit. It was delicious!

28. Joanne January 20, 2012 at 7:56 am #

This is such a vibrant and fresh dish for wintertime. Thank goodness we have citrus this time of year!

29. vianney January 20, 2012 at 5:13 am #

STUNNING!! I made something similar with grapefruit and really enjoyed it.. love the dressing!

30. Ramona January 20, 2012 at 4:10 am #

MJ, this citrus salad looks like a plate full of sunshine!! I love the dressing too.. simple yet with that punch of rice wine vinegar to give it a little tang. :) Simply lovely!! Have a great weekend. ~ Ramona

31. Katherine Martinelli January 20, 2012 at 1:38 am #

This looks so delightful! Just the thing to brighten this dreary day we’re having. The cara cars oranges are just stunning!

32. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 20, 2012 at 12:37 am #

I love citrus salads, and yours, with that sweet and spicy dressing, looks perfect!

33. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 19, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

I first thought it’s pink grapefruits but this is orange! What a beautiful color! Do you think it works with regular orange? I know it’s not the same. I really hope to find this special orange! Fruit salad is always a big hit in my house compared to leafy salad (don’t know why kids don’t like them!). Thanks for sharing this lovely and delicious salad!

• mj January 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Actually Nami, regular orange would work fine. I’ve even use clementines. The problem with them was picking out the seeds, but it was still good.

34. Christine January 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

Lovely salad. Love it.

35. Charles January 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

I was going to say – what a fantastic coloured orange… I’ve never seen that type of orange around here alas… maybe I can use a grapefruit instead :D This is the second citrus salad I’ve seen recently – it looks so fresh and light. Bet it makes a wonderful light snack or lunch :)

• mj January 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Hey Charles, Grapefruit works great! I’ve tried it. :)

36. Reem | Simply Reem January 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

What a lovely salad…
    I love making salad with oranges too, I feel they always add something special to the platter. Right?
    You know somehow till now I have not been able to find these oranges but will try more.

1. Orange and Cabbage Slaw | MJ's Kitchen - January 6, 2014

[…] right now, so time for another delightful citrus salad.  In previous years I have brought you a Sweet and Spicy Citrus Salad and a Citrus Salad with Toasted Seeds and Maple Dressing. This year I’m serving up this […]

2. Citrus Salad with Toasted Seeds and Maple Dressing Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - January 4, 2014

[…] Here’s another citrus salad for you to try:  Sweet and Spicy Citrus Salad […]