Huevos Rancheros

Ranch eggs - Huevos Rancheros with New Mexico Red Chile Sauce

Here in New Mexico Huevos Rancheros are eaten as much as enchiladas, tamales and sopapillas.  One can find them on the menu of any New Mexican restaurant, and can order them any time of the day. In my house I can’t say “huevos rancheros” without having the intention of making them.  They make a great weekend brunch and do get made quite often.

Huevos Rancheros or ranch-style eggs are very easy to make and can be made pretty much any way you want.  Ours are pretty simple: Fried eggs served on top of warm corn tortillas with a side of beans, topped with New Mexico Red Chile Sauce.  If I don’t have beans, I’ll make hashbrowns which we enjoy just as much.  Here is my huevos rancheros recipe. I provide some variations and substitutions in the Kitchen Notes, so be sure to check them out.

Let’s start from the bottom and move up.

The tortillas – We prefer corn tortillas; however, if I don’t have corn tortilla, I won’t hesitate to substitute with flour tortillas. I always have one or the other.

The side – Beans or potatoes or both.  If we have black beans or pintos, we’ll use them.  However, we also like hashbrowns.  To make the hashbrowns I’ll just grate a potato and cook it up in a large non-stick skillet with a little butter, salt and pepper until crispy and brown on both sides.  Most restaurants in New Mexico serve Huevos Rancheros with both beans and potatoes.  We find that to be too much food for brunch.  I’d fall asleep!

The eggs – I do know a couple of people who just do not like runny eggs. So if you are one of those people, then I would suggest using scrambled eggs rather than hard-cooked fried eggs. I’ve had huevos rancheros with scrambled eggs and it was pretty good.

The sauce – Of course we use New Mexico Red Chile Sauce. I can’t see using anything else.  However, if you don’t have chile sauce, then your favorite enchilada sauce or salsa works just fine.  You might have to experiment to find which you prefer with the eggs, but that would be a tasty experiment now wouldn’t it?

The toppings – We always use fresh chopped sweet onion and black olives and Bobby adds the cheese. Even though I love cheese it doesn’t like me, but that’s o.k. I’m perfectly happy with just onion and olives.  Other toppings can include fresh chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, slice or chopped avocado, or guacamole.

Make it your way and enjoy!

This recipe has been linked up to the following blog hop. Be sure to click on the link for many more tasty recipes.
Totally Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Full Plate Thursday, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Weekend Potluck, Fusion Friday, Meatless Monday, Whole Food Wednesday, See-ya-in-gumbo, My Meatless Monday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Breakfast Ideas Monday, Katherine Martinelli’s Egg Hop, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten-Free Fridays,    Clever Chicks

This recipe was featured on Carole’s Chatter:  Breakfast Ideas II and  Fusion Friday at

and Miz Helen’s Country Cottage’s

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Tags: , , , ,

73 Responses to “Huevos Rancheros”

1. Aurica February 21, 2014 at 6:25 am #

a great and healthy and energetic breakfast to start a day, i love it, it came so beautiful, i almost don’t want to touch it and eat it :D

2. Terry July 3, 2013 at 7:20 am #

Sounds wonderful and easier than I would of thought it was to make this dish!

• mj July 3, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Thanks Terry! Oh this is a VERY easy dish to make. Hope you give it a try!

3. Carole March 14, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

MJ thanks for joining the breakfast fun over at Carole’s Chatter. Cheers

4. Milk and Honey March 14, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

I love Mexican food and this would have to be my desert island breakfast. Looks so good. (Can you tell I haven’t eaten breakfast yet?)

I saw your link on Carole’s Chatter.

5. DJ January 14, 2013 at 10:15 pm #

Looks like I just found breakfast on my next day off :) Thanks!

6. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) September 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

YUM YUM YUM, love having you at GFF!! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! Its awesome bloggers like you that make our party wonderful! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

• mj September 19, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Thanks so much Cindy! So glad you like this breakfast! It’s our favorite!

7. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 29, 2012 at 12:03 am #

I’d happily sleep the afternoon away if I had a plate like this! :)

8. Viviane Bauquet Farre August 28, 2012 at 10:52 am #

I love the profusion of black olives, MJ! You’ve handled this classic egg recipe beautifully. What an inspiring breakfast to begin the day properly!

9. RecipeNewZ May 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Beautiful!

10. Chaya April 30, 2012 at 8:14 am #

I would make this for dinner. It certainly is interesting and hearty enough. Off to print it up for future use. Thanks so much for the recipe and for linking it to My Meatless Mondays.

11. Michelle March 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

My grandpa used to love to make huevos rancheros, but I wouldn’t touch it. I was a silly little thing! Looks fantastic, especially that sauce. I would have to use scrambled eggs since I’m one of those no runny egg people. Sigh. I guess there are some things we never outgrow.

Thanks for linking this dish with See Ya In the Gumbo. Good to have you!

12. Miz Helen February 3, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

13. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food February 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

This looks delicious! Never tried cooking it before, but I think I’m going to :) I’m also going to Pin this recipe. BTW – I got a ton of repins from pinning your garlic soup!

14. Tina February 1, 2012 at 8:20 am #

This looks phenomenal! I’ve never had huevos rancheros but I think I might have to soon…

15. Laura @ Family Spice January 31, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Seriously, this is my kind of breakfast. Your hueveos rancheros looks gorgeous!

16. vianney January 31, 2012 at 4:01 am #

drooling here.. hueveos rancheros, refried beand and papa fritas – Heavenly saturday treat!! love that you don’t hesitate to use flour and that you always have either corn and flour on hand.. you rock!

• mj January 31, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Vianney – I’m sure you’d never be found without tortillas in your house! :)

17. Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious January 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Your pictures look lovely.

I’m going to have to save this recipe for Sunday brunch!

18. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen January 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

I haven’t ever had Huevos Rancheros but I am now determined to. Yum!

19. Susan with Permanent Posies January 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I loved seeing your recipe for red chile sauce. We travel to New Mexico quite often from Texas and I love the red chile sauce! I have made my own before but your recipe looks so much better and easier. In mine, you are supposed to brown the dried chile peppers and then grind them….blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is that I never do it because it is such a hassle. I can’t wait to try yours. I didn’t know you could freeze it. Yea! Glad you shared. Love Huevos Rancheros, by the way!

20. Deeps @ Naughty Curry January 29, 2012 at 3:09 am #

yum… i looove eggs & i love cheese & this looks like such a delecious way to satisfy both cravings. gorgeous pic too

21. mj January 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Whoops! I just said “huevos rancheros”. Guess what we’re having for Sunday brunch tomorrow! :) Thanks everyone for your comments. I hope you do try them. If you do something different, come back and share! I’d love to hear your versions.

22. Sawsan@chef in disguise January 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

I love this! my daughter would go wild if I made this for her for breakfast. Thank you so much for sharing this MJ

23. Magic of Spice January 28, 2012 at 10:29 am #

This looks so good! I have not had breakfast yet, but now I need this :) A perfect meal for anytime of day really…

24. sally January 28, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Yum! I wish I had this for breakfast today. Once I get around to making your red chile sauce, I’ll be sure to try this dish as well.

25. Miz Helen January 28, 2012 at 8:14 am #

Hi MJ,
    This is one of my husbands favorite breakfast. Your recipe looks great and I really like your toppings. A lovely presentation! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

26. Soni January 28, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Wow, this looks great!Love the idea of a New Mexico style breakfast!Very appetizing indeed :)Thanks MJ and your pic is beautiful!

27. Treat and Trick January 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Great presentation and you’re making me hungry looking at that fabulous dish!

28. Ann from Sumptuous Spoonfuls January 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

I love huevos rancheros and haven’t had them for years (since I last visited New Mexico) … I am going to have to try making some! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

29. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

MJ, this is absolutely new to me! I already heard about huevos rancheros in some movie, but I never actually saw them! Great recipe, my friend!

30. Emily Malloy January 27, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Ah, the way to my heart!

31. kitchenriffs January 27, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Great dish – I haven’t made (or even eaten!) this in ages. Why am I letting my life slip away like that? Your version is particularly good. And count me in as one who likes runny eggs. Anyway, thanks for this.

32. balvinder January 27, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Thanks for a lovely gluten free recipe. I always love your kitchen notes as much as the actual recipe.

33. Food Jaunts January 27, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Love that you’re making your own sauce to top this with! Are you in an area when you can get it “Christmas” style in restaurants? I love a runny egg and I’m slowly working my husband to my way of thinking (he’s more of an egg over hard man). These looks like a perfect breakfast – we often enjoy huevos rancheros on a Sunday morning but I want to give your version a shot because it looks gorgeous!

• mj January 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Oh yes – I can get Christmas anytime, but I prefer red or green,not both. Bobby gets Christmas some time. Thanks!

34. Purabi Naha January 27, 2012 at 1:12 am #

This is such a wonderful recipe! I loved the presentation, amazing!

35. wok with ray January 27, 2012 at 12:32 am #

You photo is making me drool, MJ! I love Huevos Rancheros and it’s one of my favorite breakfast. More cheese on mine please… :)

36. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Until I started blogging and see what other people make, I didn’t know about Huevos Rancheros. Then I forgot about it. This is my second time seeing it and I’m all over this. I love egg dish, and this seems much better than enchiladas or any other dishes (wait, but I like them too!). This is extremely easy to make and I didn’t think that we can use tortillas for breakfast! YUM!

37. Reem | Simply Reem January 26, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Perfect perfect way to start the day….
    This looks so so good…
    God, I want to have some now…

38. Celeste January 26, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I need to bookmark this for my mom-in-law…it’s her favorite! Thanks for sharing. :)

39. Liz January 26, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

So beautifully done! I’d be the one who’d want the scrambled eggs…and then my plate would be emptied quickly :)

40. Joanne January 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

I just realized that I’m not getting your post updates on my google reader anymore, which so peculiar because I used to. You didn’t make any changes to the site lately or anything, did you? Anyway, LOVE huevos rancheros, and your rendition is great!

41. Katherine Martinelli January 26, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Huevos rancheros is one of my all time favorite foods and I order it pretty much whenever I see it on a menu. I can’t wait to try making yours at home – they look perfect!!!

42. A Brown Table January 26, 2012 at 10:06 am #

A perfect breakfast or brunch option! Great job.

43. Happy Cook / Finla January 26, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Looks super super delicious, oh how i wish i had this right now.

44. carolinaheartstrings January 26, 2012 at 8:18 am #

How wonderful and delicious this looks! Thanks for sharing this one. Come visit us. We have a terrific jambalya recipe today.

45. Sanjeeta kk January 26, 2012 at 4:40 am #

This looks lovely, MJ..only thing is I don’t get Tortillas quite often..have to travel a lot to get a few. Will make my own and try this out. Hope you are having great time, hugs.

• mj January 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I’m sure they would be even better with homemade tortilla.I’m going to make my own tortillas next time – maybe. :)

46. Loveforfood January 26, 2012 at 1:40 am #

Holy moly these look amazing!

47. Jenny @ Savour the Senses January 25, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

I love huevos rancheros and your recipe looks delicious I like the addition of black olives!

48. Ashton @nummm January 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Hands down my favorite breakfast meal.

49. Paula @ Spoons 'n' Spades January 25, 2012 at 10:03 am #

One of my favourite dishes and yours looks wonderful!

50. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 25, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Hi MJ, I didn’t realize you were in New Mexico… 6 peach trees, 2 plum, 1 apple and one apricot? That settles it, I know where I’m retiring :). But truly, why would you ever want to live anywhere else?! So envious…

My husband and I love Huevos Rancheros – our affection for them goes way back. What a gorgeous version you’ve posted here. Your eggs looked cooked to perfection – absolutely dreamy, and what a great photo too.

51. Suzi January 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Wonderful, wonderful, I had forgotten about your red chili sauce, I am going to make that. No way that can be replaced with enchilada sauce. So glad you put the link in there, I just saved it. I just love all your chili recipes. How is your son by the way after that chili contest? That was a great video. Have a wonderful day.

• mj January 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Suzi – He was my BIL and he’s fine! He loves food that is unbearably hot. I don’t know how he does it. It would kill me, but he loves to eat heat until he’s in a total sweat. We had fun making the video and watching him. Hope you do make the chile sauce. You’ll love it!

52. anh@anhsfoodblog.com January 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Thanks for the notes!! I am not so familiar with Mexican cooking, so they are very helpful.

53. Anne@FromMySweetHeart January 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

MJ! Your picture is just beautiful and inviting! I just want to poke the yolks! Can you believe I’ve never had huevos rancheros before? Thanks for all your tips….I think I’m going to give these a try this weekend! : )

54. Susie Bee on Maui January 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Yum! I’d go with flour tortillas for our preferences but love the recipe!

55. Charles January 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I remember the first time I tried huevos rancheros was when my wife brought them to me for a breakfast in bed one weekend morning. At first I found the sight and smell rather odd, in my early morning zombie-like state. As soon as I’d taken a bite I was sold. I just love the things now. Yours looks so colourful MJ,and I love the addition of sliced olives over the top. I don’t normally add those… will have to next time I make them! :)

56. Cucina49 January 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Oh, that looks amazing–so much better than the versions I’ve seen in restaurants!

57. Lacy January 24, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Yum! This looks delicious I love the sauce & the black olives. I’m all for the runny eggs, bring ‘em on! Wish I could have eaten this this morning! Would have made my day :)

58. Ramona January 24, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Now this is my kind of breakfast.. Savory!! I love it. Plus it’s pretty healthy with all the beans and egg. Beautiful pictures as always. :) Have a great week MJ!

1. Southwestern Migas (eggs, green chile and corn tortillas) | MJ's Kitchen - April 15, 2014

[…] Huevos Rancheros – Fried eggs with Cheese and Red Chile Sauce […]

2. Red Chile Sauce from Powder | MJ's Kitchen - April 4, 2014

[…] chile yields a bolder, earthier sauce that is great for beef and chorizo dishes. Both work well for huevos rancheros, tacos, bean burritos and New Mexico red chile enchiladas.  Believe me, I wouldn’t hesitate […]

3. Green Chile Sweet Potato Hash Browns | MJ's Kitchen - August 25, 2013

[…] perfect for Sunday brunch. When we go, we invariably get the same things – Bobby gets the Huevos Rancheros with Red (chile sauce) and I get the Western-style hash browns with an egg.  The Huevos include 2 eggs, beans, and red […]

4. Method for cooking eggs over easy | MJ's Kitchen - June 10, 2013

[...] When a friend’s free range hens are laying, she provides me with some of the best eggs I’ve ever had -  thick shells and huge, rich orange yolks.  They are perfect for eggs over easy.   That’s why I save her eggs to top off enchiladas, pileups, and pastas, and for breakfasts like bacon and eggs, and huevos rancheros. [...]

5. Black Beans | MJ's Kitchen - November 24, 2012

[...] versatile black bean – For several recipes that use black beans visit the following posts:  Huevos Rancheros and an assortment of black bean [...]

6. New Mexico Red Chile | MJ's Kitchen - November 4, 2012

[...] Huevos Rancheros [...]

7. #glutenfreefridays Recipe Party #6 | Vegetarian Mamma - September 20, 2012

[...] Huevos Rancheros  via MJs Kitchen [...]

8. Menu Inspirations #1 | Easy Natural Food - March 22, 2012

[...] Good Ol’ Scrambled Eggs Baked Sausage and Potato Omelet Huevos Rancheros [...]

9. {Fusion Friday 2.2.12} - February 2, 2012

[...] B’s Kitchen Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies by Love Veggies and Yoga Huevos Rancheros by MJ’s Kitchen Cool Whip Fun from Joyful Homemaking Banana Honey Bran Bread from My Judy the Foodie Lemon [...]