Triple Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry sauce with three types of cranberries

If you read my previous post – Cranberry Bread – you know I love cranberries with orange.  Therefore it shouldn’t be surprising to see that my cranberry sauce is a lot of cranberries with a touch of orange.

Several years ago I tried a Triple Cranberry Sauce that used orange marmalade, orange juice, and orange zest.  It was good, but TOO much orange in the sense that it competed with the cranberries.  So with that recipe as inspiration, I started experimenting to come up with the perfect cranberry sauce for my and Bobby’s palettes.  Well, here it is.

This cranberry sauce is tart and sweet with a little orange zest for the hint of orange I like so much.  You get bites of whole berries from both the fresh berries and the dried berries. Like all cranberry sauces it does need to be made and refrigerated the night before so it can set up; however, this sauce doesn’t create a firm gel – it’s more of a whole berry sauce which is the way we like it.

Triple cranberry sauce

For the cranberry juice I use an unsweetened cranberry juice or cranberry juice cocktail.

If you want a little more orange flavor, you can substitute part of the cranberry juice with orange juice.

Our favorite uses for this cranberry sauce

• Turkey and cranberry sauce – of course.
  • Cornbread dressing and cranberry sauce – that’s my favorite.
  • Grilled sandwich with Dijon mustard, turkey, Monterey Jack cheese, and avocado. Once the sandwich is grilled, open it up and place a couple of tablespoons of the chilled cranberry sauce in the middle.
  • Topping for grilled lamb chops or side for roasted Leg of Lamb (anything lamb)
  • Topping or side for duck
  • Cranberry oatmeal – really good with steel cut oatmeal (just add a little to your oatmeal)
  • Buttered toast and cranberry sauce
  • A topping for sauteed green beans and pecans
  • Side for Turkey Tetrazzini

This recipe for Triple Cranberry Sauce has been linked to the following Blog Hops that provide hundreds of great recipes.  Be sure to check them out!

Foodie Friday, Mouthwatering Monday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Holiday Blog Hop, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Made With Love Monday

Tags: , , , ,

46 Responses to “Triple Cranberry Sauce”

1. Yum Girl December 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Fresh and festive. I love it! If I may, I’d like to invite you to submit your photos to the new YumGoggle, a photo sharing site with the philosophy that if you worked hard to cook it and photograph it, we should show it off! Hope to see you there soon! http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/

2. Grabandgorecipes November 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Looks Yummy!!

3. Javelin Warrior November 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Cornbread dressing and cranberry sauce! That sounds so good and I don’t think I’ve ever had this combination. I’m so craving homemade cranberry sauce now and if no one else makes this for the two Thanksgiving meals this year, then I’m making it! :) Thanks so much for sharing, MJ – and it’s the perfect side at any table…

4. Food Frenzy November 16, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post for the last two weeks of November.

• mj November 25, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

How very exciting!! Thanks!!!!

5. Deeps @ Naughty Curry January 23, 2012 at 10:11 am #

yum! love that cinnamon in it… looks delecious :)

6. Tina December 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Mmm this looks so yummy! I love cranberry sauce. I used to eat the canned stuff with a spoon…

7. Aimee from ItsOverflowing December 23, 2011 at 7:21 am #

Thanks so much for the perfect recipe!!! Withing you and your a very Merry Christmas!!

XO, Aimee from ItsOverflowing

8. Magic of Spice December 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

This is perfectly lovely! The perfect amount of orange for me :)
    Happy Holidays

9. Jammy Chick December 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

Cranberry and orange is my favorite combination – I always throw in a shot of ciontreau when I am making cranberry sauce for a subtle and a little boozy hit of orange.

10. Junifer Nez December 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! It looks tasty and I can eat this as dessert.

11. Miz Helen December 21, 2011 at 6:01 am #

Hi MJ,
    We just love homemade Cranberry Sauce and your recipe looks delicious, we would really enjoy it. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit and hope you will come back soon! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
    Miz Helen

12. Melanie @ Melanie Cooks December 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

I love homemade cranberry sauce! Yours looks delicious!

13. kitchenriffs December 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Cranberry and orange is one of my favorite combos, too. I’m more of a cranberry relish sort, but I do enjoy homemade cranberry sauce from time to time, too. I’ve been thinking about making some for Christmas, and yours looks terrific. Thanks!

14. Ruth December 20, 2011 at 2:49 am #

That sauce looks amazing. I bet the addition of dried cranberries really makes the flavour pop!

15. Food Jaunts December 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Ok so I’ll admit it – I’ve never had cranberry sauce. I think if I saw yours on the plate though I’d definitely give it a shot!

16. Giulietta | Alterkitchen December 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Wow, MJ, this sauce looks amazing! I’d love to try it with turkey :)

17. A Brown Table December 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

I love all your posts on cranberries, just keep them coming!

18. Tina (PinayInTexas) December 19, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Triple cranberry sauce sounds so good, MJ! What a wonderful way to enjoy the goodness of cranberries! Super yum!

19. joanne December 19, 2011 at 9:45 am #

That looks and sounds delightful. It may be weird, but I like to heat homemade cran. sauce up and let ice cream melt all over it. It’s more like dessert to me. :)

• mj December 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

That’s not weird at all! Sounds fabulous!

20. daphne December 19, 2011 at 3:06 am #

Look at all the cranberries!!! Just thinking about bitting into it while pairing it with turkey.. or even just with chicken!! Such a vibrant colour. ;) adding fruits to my diet in this festive season is encouraged! hahah.

21. Amy December 19, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Yummy recipe….

22. anh@anhsfoodblog.com December 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

how pretty is this sauce? :)

23. zenchef December 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

Oh, I love that you use cinnamon, cloves and orange zest in your cranberry sauce. Delicious! I put some star anise too in mine sometimes.

24. sally December 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

I like the combination of dried and fresh cranberries in this recipe. I also love the combination of cranberry and orange!

25. Charles December 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

Still no sign of cranberries (fresh) in our shops! Booooo :( Maybe they decided that the French aren’t worthy of any this year :( Still – I have some dried ones and I can always buy the juice! Not quite enough for sauce making purposes though :(

26. Ramona December 18, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Great combination to use some orange with the cranberries. I love cranberries and even eat this kind of sauce with rice and curry (like a chutney).

PS.. to answer your question regarding swapping out oyster sauce for fish sauce… I’m not entirely sure. The fish sauce is very salty so it may fight with the soy sauce. The oyster sauce is not “fishy” like fish sauce, nor is it as salty. I personally think it really does give the best flavor for the brown sauce. I would highly recommend purchasing a small bottle and giving it a try. I think it’s a great component in stir fries and you will use it up. :)

• mj December 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks for commenting Ramona and for leaving the information on the fish sauce. I didn’t realize that oyster sauce was that salty. I need to pick up some!

27. VE December 18, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Mom always made her fresh cranberry sauce starting with cranberries simmered in orange juice.I think she may have used a small amount of brown sugar too, but not so much that it tasted outright sweet, just enough for a little balance. I never figured out what else she used in it- probably one or two spices- cinnamon or clove probably. So much better than the can full of purplish goo from the supermarket!

28. Sharon | Chinese Soup Pot December 18, 2011 at 12:04 am #

Thanks for sharing your best tried-and-tested cranberry sauce. I really like it in a cranberry turkey cream cheese sandwich!

29. Anne@frommysweetheart December 17, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

MJ…I love the combo of cranberries and orange. The first time I made a Thanksgiving dinner by myself, I served a home made cranberry sauce in hollowed out orange cups. But actually, I like cranberries all year round. I eat lots of turkey sandwiches for my lunches and I love to spread on cranberry sauce instead of mayo. This just looks divine! : )

• mj December 20, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

Putting the sauce in hollowed out orange cups sounds quite interesting! I’m with you – when I can find them, I’ll use cranberries any time of the year!

30. Shannon | JustAsDelish December 17, 2011 at 7:33 am #

I love cranberries, but it’s expensive in this part of the world.. so for now I can only gawk and drool.. good to know cranberry can be paired with lamb

31. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 17, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Your note on how we can use cranberry sauce was very useful! I am still new to cranberry sauce so I would never think of using it for green beans. I also like the sandwich idea too!

32. Treat and Trick December 17, 2011 at 3:40 am #

I bet it tasted wonderful with triple dose of cranberries! Have a great weekend ya…

33. Joanne December 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

HAHA when I saw this in my google reader I was like “triple cranberry??? Dried cranberries…fresh cranberries…what on earth could the last be?” Duh, cranberry juice! hahaha It’s been a long day. Great cranberry sauce recipe…orange is a must!

34. Christine December 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

I love the ingredients in this recipe. Great recipe.

35. Suzi December 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

I made cranberry sauce for the first time at Thanksgiving this year. It wasn’t too bad, wish I had this recipe I really like the orange zest addition. Thanks for that idea I will make this again at Christmas. I have tons of oranges that are starting to ripen now for the zest. Have a great weekend.

36. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 16, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

What an interesting idea to use a combination of fresh and dried cranberries and I bet the cloves come through beautifully in this recipe as well. I enjoyed your favourite uses list – what a great idea to share this.

37. Sissi December 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

It sounds like a triple delight! I love cranberry juice and jam, but use them so rarely… In fact it looks like you have made a sauce to accompany my today’s poultry pâté ;-)

• mj December 20, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Another way to use this – pate’! Sounds awesome!

38. Jessica @ Cajunlicious December 16, 2011 at 9:45 am #

I love cranberries and adding triple makes it sound so delicious!

1. Multigrain Sandwich Bread Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 26, 2013

[…] For those of you celebrating Thanksgiving, a great sandwich to have on Friday is this Multigrain Sandwich Bread with leftover turkey and cranberry sauce. […]

2. The Very Best Cranberry Sauce | Back To The Book Nutrition - November 21, 2013

[…] full of flavor and made from real ingredients. In my “research,” I came across a Triple Cranberry Sauce recipe over at MJ’s Kitchen. The reviews were great, it sounded easy to make, and it featured […]

3. Glazed Carrots with Sage Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 17, 2012