Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil

Roasted Garlic and Garlic Infused Olive Oil mjskitchen.com

If you saw my previous post – Garlic Soup – you’ve gathered that I love garlic. Not only do I put garlic in many, many of my dishes, but I also “feature” garlic in several of them.  I love just smashing a roasted garlic clove on a cracker and popping it in my mouth.  Thank goodness Bobby likes garlic as much as I do!

I use to roast garlic in a stoneware garlic roaster and it turned out great.  Then one day I experimented with a method to make garlic infused oil and ended up with not only a great bottle of oil, but a jar of some of the best roasted garlic I had ever had! The cloves were more “toasted” than traditional roasted garlic cloves which are softer, but toasted is the way I like them. The lime – it steps the flavor up a notch for sure!  I hope you give this a try.  You’re going to love both the cloves and the oil!

Both the oil and the garlic cloves will last at least 3 months, if not longer.  I keep the cloves in the fridge and the oil in a corked glass bottle in the pantry. Neither the cloves nor the oil last longer than 2 months in my kitchen.  In fact, the cloves are usually gone in a few weeks and the oil shortly there after. Which means I’m roasting these babies up about every 2 to 3 months.

A quicker roasted garlic with the benefit of the oil - When I’m out of roasted garlic but don’t have an hour to bake it, I’ll use my stovetop version which takes less than 30 minutes, start to finish. Just like the recipe above, not only do you get a head of roasted garlic, but you also get about a cup of roasted garlic oil. Here is my method for roasting garlic in olive oil on the stovetop.

Here are some ways to use them:

• For an appetizer place several garlic cloves in a small bowl next to crispy crackers or bagel chips. The garlic will disappear in a flash!
  • Smash and chop several cloves and add to your mashed potatoes.
  • Mash and spread on bread, fresh out of the oven.
  • Chop and stir into cornbread batter.
  • Chop and add to your Thanksgiving cornbread dressing.
  • Add to any soup.  These cloves work particularly well in pureed soups.
  • The garlic oil can be used to saute’ just about anything.
  • Use the oil in a homemade dressing – a little creole mustard, honey, white wine vinegar and garlic oil – Yummy!
  • Toss root vegetables with some of the oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven and you have a wonderful roasted veggie dish!
  • Cook 1/3 cup popcorn in 1.5 Tbsp garlic oil. Add salt and enjoy!

A few recipes in MJ’s Kitchen that use this oil and / or the roasted garlic

Simply Asparagus
Black-eyed Pea Chipotle Dip
Feta and Roasted Garlic Dip
Massaged Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

Roasted Garlic and Dishes that are Better because of it

Tortellini with Roasted Bell Pepper and Onion

Peeling all of these garlic cloves

My normal method for peeling garlic is to either hit the clove gently with the side of a knife or just smash it.  How hard I hit the knife depends on what I’ll be using the garlic cloves for.

Charles of Five Euro Food offered a great suggestion for peeling garlic in a comment last week.  “If you place the whole bulb (or bulbs in this case) in cold water and bring to almost boiling point then you can just pull back all the skin so easily and the cloves literally just slide out of the skin too!”  I’m definitely going to try this method on the next go around!  It sure would make peeling all of this garlic A LOT easier. Thanks Charles!

Ashley of Eat me, delicious shared this link on how to peel garlic in 10 seconds. It’s pretty amazing!

Cover garlic with olive oil, then roast. mjskitchen.com
Safety

This garlic infused oil procedure was developed after researching how to make garlic infused oil only to find that you have to be very careful when working with garlic, especially raw garlic in oil.  Apparently, unrefrigerated garlic in oil can promote the growth of C. botulinum bacteria without affecting the smell or taste of the oil or the garlic. C botulinum causes botulism, a serious form of food poisoning.  The toxin produced by C. botulinum can be destroyed with heat and acid.  The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now requires “that all commercial garlic in oil products contain specific levels of microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents such as phosphoric or citric acid. ”

So here’s what I deduce from my research:  To ensure that the roasted garlic is safe to eat, it needs to be in an acidic environment, heated, and kept refrigerated; thus the addition of the lime, the long roast and the refrigeration in my recipe. I’ve made at least a dozen batches and I’m still here to tell the tale.

On another note of interest

One of my readers brought up a question about heating extra virgin oil and that it’s something that shouldn’t be done.  I had heard this comment a while back as well, so I did some research on it.  According to a 2007 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) heated for 36 hours at 180 C (350 F) “exhibited a high stability against oxidation” and, “despite the heating conditions, EVOO maintained most of its minor compounds and, therefore, most of its nutritional properties.”

The main issue with heating any oil is its smoke point which is different for each type of oil. The Olive Oil Source and the International Olive Oil Council both indicate the smoke point of olive oil, even extra-virgin olive oil to be well above the 325 F required for this recipe, in fact – closer to 400 F.

Canola oil infused with New Mexico red chile and herbs and spices

If you like the Roasted Garlic Oil, you’ll also love this Red Chile Infused Oil.  All of the flavors of a red chile sauce in an oil.

This post has been linked to the following blog hops. Be sure to click on the links for more wonderful recipes!

Midweek Blog Hop at Food Corner

Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Friday Favorites, Frugal Food Thursday, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Gallery of Favorites, Foodie Friday, Mix It Up Monday, Made With Love Monday, The Clever Chicks, Katherine Martinelli’s Christmas Hop and KM’s Garlic Hop

This recipe was featured in the November 17, 2011

Tags: , , , , ,

103 Responses to “Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil”

1. Andrea Glisch April 25, 2014 at 8:04 am #

I finally found someone else as crazy as I am for Garlic Everything!! Thank you for you shared ideas!!

• mj April 25, 2014 at 8:36 am #

You are most welcome Andrea and thank you for your comment!! It’s always fun finding another garlic lover. Just can’t get enough of it, can we? :)

2. The Wimpy Vegetarian December 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

I love this MJ!! I want to make some Christmas gifts at the last minute with this now. PERFECT for that, for for me :-)

3. Sheryl September 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Does the lime add any flavor?

• mj September 16, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Sheryl, the little bit of lime that is used here doesn’t add much, but if you did a taste test you would probably taste a little bit of difference. If you don’t want any lime flavor, I would extend the pre-roasting soak to 30 minutes and then omit adding the lime after roasting. Thanks for your comment!

4. ChgoJohn June 30, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

This sounds great, MJ, and I’m so glad you printed a link back here. I really need to find time to explore my favorite blogs’ archives. What other gems do you have in your past? Don’t tell me. You’ll ruin the surprise. :)

• mj July 1, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Thanks John! I glad you found this post! It’s actually my most viewed post. I have no idea how people find it, but it’s pretty popular and for a good reason if I do say so myself. :) And yes, I have another surprised coming up soon. :)

5. April June 27, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

LOVE your site. Was brought here by THIS recipe posted on facebook by a friend who uses it — and I LOVE garlic!

Just thought I’d share this link for HOW TO PEEL GARLIC IN 10 SECONDS from Saveur Magazine’s video series. Looks like magic when the chef shows you, but it works (I went and immediately tried it with great doubt).

Of course, unlike most people, I enjoy the occasional whiff of garlic when my fingers come close to my nose, and, in fact, have been known to stop in my tracks and bring all my fingers to my nose for some happy sniffing when I do get that delightful but unexpected whiff. But, I still hate peeling garlic and use this method now.

• mj June 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Thank you so much for stopping by April and for leaving your comment! And thanks to your friend for posting my roasted garlic link on FB. That’s awesome to hear! I hope you get a chance to make it. I always have the oil in the pantry and the garlic in the fridge. :) Thanks for the link to Saveur on peeling garlic. That’s amazing! Now that I have heard first hand that it works, I’ll have to try it. BTW – Come back next week to get a list of recipes that use the roasted garlic. :) Thanks again!

6. Debi June 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

I’m sure the answer to the question I am going to ask is somewhere in the above but I couldn’t find it. In the picture of the garlic infused olive oil there are garlic gloves in the bottle yet I don’t find where you said put them in. I do remember reading ** It can be dangerous to infuse oil with raw garlic cloves, so be sure to follow the instructions at the link above and take all the necessary precautions for food safety!” Please help me here.

• mj June 11, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

Debi, The answer to your question is in step 9 of the recipe instructions. After roasting you remove the garlic cloves from the oil, stir in the lime juice, pack the COOKED garlic cloves with lime into a jar, cover with some of the oil, and refrigerate. Thanks for leaving a comment so that I could clarify! Let me know if you have any additional questions. Cheers, MJ

7. garlic foods April 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

whoah this weblog is great i really like studying your articles.
    Stay up the great work! You realize, a lot of persons are hunting round for this
    info, you can aid them greatly.

8. Vicki Bensinger March 6, 2013 at 9:31 am #

I’ve never seen garlic infused olive oil made this way with lime juice. I will definitely try this. It’s always nice to have the freshest at hand plus it’s fun to make it.

9. CJ at Food Stories March 4, 2013 at 8:43 am #

Great Post, MJ ~ Would lemon juice work instead of the lime?

• mj March 4, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Thanks CJ! Yes – You can definitely use lemon in place of lime! The main thing is to create an acidic environment. It helps the garlic to safely last longer. The roasted garlic lasts in the refrigerator about 2 months and the oil – probably 6 months but mine gets used too fast to really say. :)

10. Kay February 21, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Can lemon be substituted for lime? Lemons are easily bought here in my place rather than lime.

• mj February 21, 2013 at 7:50 am #

Good morning Kay! Yes, a lemon can be used in place of lime. You just need to create the acidic environment and lemons do it. Hope you enjoy!!!

11. Millie S. January 25, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Loved this article and I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE garlic. As I was reading this, something popped into my mind & I was wondering, why not roast the garlic, melt butter & add garlic to it, even add the lime juice, let harden & freeze. Take out as needed…might this be a good idea or not? Just my mind working overtime!

• mj January 25, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Millie – thanks so much for the comment! So you love garlic? :) As you can see if you’ve gone through my site, I too LOVE garlic! A couple of comments in response to your brain working overtime – the olive oil actually congeals in the refrigerator so if you want to freeze it, you could probably just freeze it in the oil without the butter. As far as freezing garlic, I read just recently that garlic is something you shouldn’t freeze because it looses its potency and its texture changes. However, the article was talking about raw garlic. I have no idea if roasted garlic freezes well or not. If you try it, please let me know! It’s a great idea!

12. Renae December 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

So…I put my timer on for 45 minutes and had the intentions of just continually checking on it, but time got away from me and I think I may have “overbaked” them :( The oil is a little darker than regular olive oil and the cloves are very brown and some have black edges…are the cloves supposed to darken at all??

• mj December 22, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Renae, Yes the oil is darker than regular oil, but not by much; however, if some of the cloves have black edges, then yes, they are probably overcooked. The cloves do brown, but a rather light brown. Once I cooked it a little longer than 45 minutes and the cloves got very brown. They were still usable but the flavor was a more “roasted” flavor than I like. Just taste the garlic and the oil and if they taste good, then you are good to go. If either of them do have a burnt taste, then you might want to try again and this time set your timer for 35 minutes and go minute by minute from there. Thanks for contacting me!

13. Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl October 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Great Post ! Please come share at my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-6.html

Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

14. Tammy/Our Neck of the Woods October 29, 2012 at 10:17 am #

This sounds so amazing! I remember the first time I tried roasted garlic and was blown away by how good it was. My life has never been the same! Haha.

Visiting from clever chicks blog hop :)

15. Javelin Warrior October 22, 2012 at 10:17 am #

MJ, I’m so intrigued by roasting garlic in oil like this. I’ve cooked garlic in a pot of oil, but I’ve never roasted it like this. I’m sure the flavor is even more concentrated and the garlic even “sweeter”. I’m also glad you provided a list of options for using the garlic – because I was about to scratch my head and wonder how I would use it… Thanks so much for sharing…

16. Diane Balch September 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Let me guess you never get sick and vampires leave you alone! Great method thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

• mj September 16, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

You guessed it Diane! No colds and no pointy teeth. :) Thanks Girl!

17. Su Anne June 20, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

We LOVE this. Can’t be without it. WOW, I am definitely going to try the Saveur method for peeling the garlic! Thanks for that link.

• mj June 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

SO glad you like it Su Anne! I’ve ALWAYS got a jar in the fridge and a bottle in the cupboard! :) It’s one of Nadalyn’s favorites too!

• Su Anne July 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Just made a new batch using the Saveur method for peeling the garlic. As you well know, I am not 6′ 5″ and 250 pounds, as the guy on the video seems to be, so couldn’t give it quite the power he did but it worked really well. Did get Ted to attack the whole garlic with his fist. My try sent the head flying and my hand regreting the attempt.
        PS: Your recipe is better than RicK Bayless’ . His recipe is more limey and less garlicy. The balance is better in yours. Thank you Darlin’.

• mj July 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

:) :) When I tried it I had a few heads of garlic flying across the kitchen as well so I gave up and ended up peeling my normal way. Next time I’ll do this when Bobby’s around. I haven’t seen RB’s recipe. I’ll have to check it out! Thank you!!!

18. Viviane Bauquet Farre May 22, 2012 at 6:39 am #

What a helpful ingredient recipe, MJ. There is almost an infinite range of applications for something so delicious as this oil.

19. Brynn May 21, 2012 at 11:20 am #

I can’t wait to go home and try this. We love garlic and olive oil I’m sure this would be awesome for dipping.

• mj May 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

This afternoon I was squishing whole garlic cloves on crackers for a snack. So good! Hope you get home soon so you can try it Darlin!

20. Letitia May 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I was wondering about making garlic oil in the crock pot. I don’t know if it would have the same infused taste as roasting it in the oven, but it would keep the temperature low.

• mj May 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

That’s a interesting thought. I don’t have a crock pot and it’s been over 25 years since I used one, so I have no idea how it would roast garlic. But why not? It might take all day to get them to start turning brown but it might just work. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out! Thanks for stopping by!

21. RecipeNewZ May 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

mmm, I never added lemon juice to roasted garlic. I am really curious to try next time

22. Lanette February 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I do this… occasionally… when my kids are gone! Unfortunately, I am the only one in my house who likes (loves!) garlic (just me and two teenage daughters!)… they don’t appreciate the flavor (and smell! lol) of garlic (yet!)… But if any of you have a problem with body odor after…indulging… you should check out Body Mint or Chlorofresh type ‘internal’ deodorants. this might be just the answer for ya. You can find either of them online at Amazon or other sites… : )

23. Alea Milham January 17, 2012 at 12:22 am #

This is amazing! I tried it and loved it. My kids and I had a discussion about whether it was possible to have too much garlic and we concluded it was impossible. thanks for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop.

• mj January 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I totally agree with you and your kids! Thanks for featuring it in the Hearth and Soul Hop!

24. Swathi January 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Delicious, love the garlic infuse olive oil, best with bread or as salad dressing. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

25. Amy December 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

Thanks a lot for sharing this valuable post.Garlic is with many healthy benefits.Garlic infuced olive oil is healthy in that way.Thanks for the great idea …

26. Mama's World December 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

What would we have done without garlic!! :-)

27. Sanjeeta kk November 23, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Treat for another garlic lover :)

28. Jessica @ Cajunlicious November 17, 2011 at 11:02 am #

I love roasted garlic alone so I bet this oil is great too!

29. Angela @ Mind Over Batter November 17, 2011 at 10:56 am #

Roasted garlic… Mmm… Roasted garlic doesn’t last long in my house either. I’ve roasted garlic without the lime and I’ve survived, but I’m definitely trying this method. Mostly because I’m selfish… Don’t want to have to clean up after people suffering from botulism. Not cool, no…

30. Dionne Baldwin November 17, 2011 at 9:49 am #

I have always wanted to make this, I guess I just never took the time! Garlic has such an addicting flavor. We use it daily in our house and sometimes roast it, pour olive oil on it and spread it on fresh bread! :) I had no idea about the safety issues though thank you SO much for sharing that.

31. balvinder November 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

I love garlic infused olive oil i even add dry fenugreek leaves.Great post and the clicks are very nice. this is http://simpleglutenfreekitchen.blogspot.com/

32. Vicki Bensinger November 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

What great tips. I enjoy roasted garlic on almost anything and garlic infused oil. I’ve never tried it with lime but definitely plan to next time I make it.

Your photo is beautiful! Now to figure out why I’m not getting your blog posts delivered to me by email. I guess maybe I need to sign uP again.

Thanks for sharing this great post.

33. Kelly November 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

First of all, what a beautiful cover picture MJ. You really capture a mood with the peacefulness and simplicity of elements. We really enjoy infused olive oil in our home and I particularly like that you used lime here. It’s a nice switch up from lemon which I often come across. And the garlic… well, you’d be hard ‘pressed’ so to speak, to find a more robust flavour for infusing oil. Wonderful recipe MJ.

34. Joanne November 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

It has been ages since I made flavored olive oil.
    We have shrimp scampi planned for Thanksgiving and I have a feeling I’ll be making up some Italian style olive oil for that.

35. Carol November 15, 2011 at 8:40 am #

The recipe sounds yummy. But I’ve been reading that extra virgin olive oil should not be heated, so would it be a problem if I roast the oil in oven for 45 minutes?

• mj November 15, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Carol – Thanks for bringing up the heating issue of EV olive oil (EVOO)! I did a little research and here’s what I found: The main issue with heating any oil is its smoking point which is different for each type of oil. The Olive Oil Source (http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/heating-olive-oil) and the International Olive Oil Council (http://www.internationaloliveoil.org/) both indicate the smoking point of olive oil, even extra-virgin olive oil to be well above the 325 F required for this recipe, in fact – closer to 400 F. Another study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17935291) heated EVOO for 36 hours at 350 F (180C) and found that it maintained most of its nutritional value and had a high stability against oxidation! So, based on this, I would say that it doesn’t look like there’s a problem here. (MAN – did you bring out the educator in me! :)) Thanks!

36. Liz November 15, 2011 at 5:31 am #

Oh, this sounds amazing! We are a garlic lovin’ household! And I’m so glad you addressed the botulism issue…that is the first thing that comes to mind with garlic oils. Great info.

37. Nami | Just One Cookbook November 15, 2011 at 12:33 am #

Hi MJ! We love garlic as well and garlic infused olive oil is something I wanted to try. I didn’t know roasting and lime is necessary so thank you so much for this great tip! I almost created my own version without knowing it. ;-) I have to try this video method. I don’t believe it until I shake the bowls myself really hard!!! Hehee.

38. Tina (PinayInTexas) November 14, 2011 at 10:51 pm #

I’m a big fan of garlic, and this Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil of yours sounds so awesome!
    I peel garlic the same way you do. I’ll be trying the method used in the “how to peel garlic in 10 seconds” video…I’m so curious if it will really work. :)

39. Magic of Spice November 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

I am a huge garlic lover as well…this I must try! I have infused oils on many occasions but never roasted garlic, I think I am in love with this recipe…perfection!

40. Baker Street November 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

Wow! This is perfect! This can be used in a zillion delicious ways! Great job and thanks for sharing!

41. Ann November 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

MJ this is GREAT! My husband and I LOVE garlic…in just about anything! Thanks for sharing such detailed instructions! I agree with you regarding the safety…but like you – it probably won’t last that long!

42. Ashley November 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Have you seen this method for peeling garlic? I saw it on another blog. I haven’t tried it yet but it seems pretty amazing (and fast)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3oc24fD-c

• mj November 14, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

That’s freaking amazing!!!! I’m going to add this link to this post. Thanks for sharing the link!

43. Ashley November 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

A roasted garlic clove on a cracker sounds amazing! I’ve never thought to do that. This oil sounds really good too. I LOVE that you included the safety section on garlic in oil. I think a lot of people don’t know about this. As long as you keep the oil refrigerated and use it up within a reasonable amount of time, that’s enough to avoid C. botulinum from germinating and producing its toxin. You don’t need to add the acid – though that will help too.

44. Christy November 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

I remember my mummy used to make something like this, but not with olive oil, just normal cooking oil or something like that (I am not that good with the kitchen vocabulary, hehe :)
    She used to roast or fry ‘em garlic then store them with the oil, which she keeps for future cooking use :)

45. Amy November 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

I love garlic infused oil! It can be used for so many delicious things!

46. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray November 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

Yes please! Hubs would stay far away from this–but more for me!

47. easyfoodsmith November 14, 2011 at 4:27 am #

I am obsessed with garlic! Like you I absolutely love it! Loved your post :-)

48. Reem | Simply Reem November 14, 2011 at 12:15 am #

God!!! I so totally need to try this recipe….
    I love garlic, trust me I cannot live without it….
    I buy garlic oil, but I will try this time….

49. Food Jaunts November 13, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

MJ you’re a women after my heart! I tend to at least double the garlic in any recipe I make. I actually just buy garlic oil but I need to start making this asap instead. Bookmarked!

50. natalie November 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

I love, love, love garlic, and this definitely goes on my “to make” list. I’d use it for just about everything! Sorry, Dracula, you can’t come over to my place for dinner. ;)

51. Manu November 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

I LOVE garlic… cooked and raw! I am sure I could have never been a vampire!! hahaha I have never made roasted garlic before, and I am sure I would love it! My mouth is watering just by thinking about it!!!

52. A Brown Table November 13, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Garlic and olive oil, what can be more delicious and simple than that, a perfect combination!

53. Katherine Martinelli November 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

I love garlic everything too and this looks amazing! Almost like a garlic confit, but in the oven. I’ve pinned this to make soon :-)

54. Charles November 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks for the shout-out MJ – I hope the tip works well for you! I always wanted to try something like infusing my own oil. I always see chilli and herb infused oils, though never something like this. I’m a huge fan of garlic too – I can imagine the taste of this is just divine! Seeing all this garlic reminds me of a Korean snack my friend used to serve. Whole garlic bulbs which were pickled in a sweet vinegar. I guess most people (probably out of politeness!) would sit there and delicately nibble on a clove or two – I’d be wading through the whole bulb. It was so sweet and garlicky and delicious. I’ll have to try and post a recipe sometime if I can get it from her!

55. sally November 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

I love your photo of the roasted garlic oil, and I’m sure I’d love the flavor of the oil as well.

56. JJ November 12, 2011 at 7:47 am #

Yum! Wonder if you could roast small chili peppers with the garlic? And/or maybe add shreds of the lime zest when bottling the garlic?

• mj November 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

JJ – I would definitely think that adding a chile or two to the roasting process would step it up even another notch! Just be sure to strain it from the oil before bottling. Since the oil isn’t refrigerated you don’t want to leave the peppers nor the garlic in it. You could choose to refrigerate the oil, but olive oil solidifies when cold, so you’d have to remember to get it out of the fridge an hour or two before using. Thanks for stopping by!!!

57. Italian Notes November 12, 2011 at 5:43 am #

I’ve been looking for a way to prepare garlic snacks of the kind you buy like olives in the supermarket. Now I’m looking forward to try this.

58. Giulietta | Alterkitchen November 12, 2011 at 1:37 am #

Wow, MJ, you really love garlic! I’m sure you’d love our Bagna Caoda.. I don’t love it so much (better, I don’t digest it very well.. so I use it, but just to give my dishes some smell), so I’m afraid that tomorrow, when my boyfriend will come back home after bagna caoda, I’ll have to leave him in the middle of the road :D

• mj November 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

I looked up Bagna Caoda – garlic and anchovies. Interesting! I can certainly see the problems with that one and relationships.:)

59. Joanne November 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

ooooo. The whole way through I was like “why the lime?” I didn’t know if it was just for flavor or if the acidity was important. I will definitely be trying this MJ. I LOVE roasted garlic. Heck, forget the cracker, sometimes I will just pop out a roasted garlic clove and eat it as is! hahahaha!

• mj November 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Joanne, to me the lime serves both for added depth to the flavor of the roasted garlic and for the acidity. Love to see so many other garlic lovers! I, too, have been guilty of poppy roasted garlic cloves. :)

• Joanne December 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

I’m planning to make this tomorrow or Friday, just bought more garlic and the lime for this. Yippee! I’ll let you know how it goes.

• Joanne December 18, 2011 at 11:43 am #

OMG this stuff made my house smell SO GOOD!!!!!!!

• mj December 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

OOOOHHHHH – It certainly does!!! Enjoy! Check back again at the end of next for a quick and easy dip that uses the garlic. :)

60. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy November 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

This looks lovely! I am growing garlic at the moment and it is nearly time to harvest it. I will save this recipe for my fresh garlic!

1. طريقه تنكيه زيت الزيتون بالثوم | بيتي مملكتي - February 28, 2014

[…] للمزيد من المعلومات عن الموضوع زوري الرابط http://mjskitchen.com/2011/11/garlic-roasted-in-olive-oil/ […]

2. Greek Shrimp Scampi | Urban Pioneer Woman - December 8, 2013

[…] Pasta (I use 1 roasted spaghetti squash) Juice from one lemon 1/3 cup garlic infused olive oil (how to do it yourself) 1 tsp basil 1 tsp oregano 1.5 tsp salt Chopped green onions Sliced black olives **I think sliced […]

3. Gift (You Can Make) Guide - Eat It! - December 4, 2013

[…] This is a good resource for how to do it. I think garlic olive oil would be bomb (although be careful, this article says that using raw garlic can encourage botulism so uh, don’t do that!). You could also get kind of crazy and try infusing it with black pepper […]

4. Peppered Lemon Chicken Bites and Curried Brussels Sprouts | MJ's Kitchen - November 20, 2013

[…] 1 Tbsp. garlic infused oil ½ tsp. dried tarragon, crushed 1 Tbsp. minced preserved lemons 1 tsp. preserved lemon juice (omit […]

5. Red Chile Garlice Bread with Manchego Cheese | MJ's Kitchen - June 25, 2013

[…] oil and it’s definitely not Italian.  Instead there are three types of chile powders, some roasted garlic, and chile infused oil that are all combined into a paste.  This paste is then incorporated into […]

6. Monday Muster & Pound Cake | Food Stories - March 4, 2013

[…] Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil – MJ’s Kitchen […]

7. Pinned it Tuesday: infused olive oils | Unwedded Bliss - February 28, 2013

[…] Garlic-Infused Olive Oil […]

8. Asparagus, Chorizo and a Soft-Boiled Egg | MJ's Kitchen - February 21, 2013

[…] cooked and crumbled (See Kitchen Notes) 2 soft-boiled eggs dried oregano (optional) olive oil (garlic-infused oil works great) Salt and […]

9. Black-eyed Pea Chipotle Dip | MJ's Kitchen - January 18, 2013

[…] cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained, reserve the juice 6 large roasted garlic cloves (See Kitchen Notes for alternative.) 1/2 tsp. olive oil (or garlic infused olive oil) ¼ cup onion, […]

10. infused olive oil for all « Park Street Posts - January 1, 2013

[…] followed the recipe on MJ’s Kitchen for the garlic oil. Because the combination of oil and garlic can promote the growth of C. […]

11. Garlic Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 24, 2012

[…] Roasted Garlic and Garlic Infused Oil […]

12. Massaged Kale and Sweet Potato Salad Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 12, 2012

[…] Tbsp. roasted garlic infused oil (or 1 Tbsp. olive oil and ¼ tsp. garlic powder) 1 large sweet potato or yam, cut into ½” cubes […]

13. Infused Olive Oils | Cucina di Carrie - July 16, 2012

[…] Roasted Garlic Olive Oil, adapted from MJ’s Kitchen […]

14. A recipe for Gazpacho Salad - The Healthy Beehive - July 10, 2012

[…] 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil […]

15. Rainy Days in Madrid with Sopa de Ajo (Garlic Soup) | Yum and Yummer - June 13, 2012

[…] Roasted Garlic and Garlic Infused Olive Oil by MJ’s Kitchen […]

16. Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers 1/17 | Premeditated Leftovers - January 17, 2012

[…] – made with leftover chicken. Potato Muffins – gorgeous and includes a gluten-free adaptation. Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil  – this is heavenly! Candied Meyer Lemons – I love of combination of sweet and sour! Slow […]

17. DIY Infused Olive Oils « twistedlemon - January 16, 2012

[…] roasting and acidifying the cloves before putting them in the bottle. For a great recipe, click here. (3) In a sauce pan, heat olive oil until a few small bubbles start forming . ** If your oil starts […]

18. DIY Infused Olive Oils | Just Putzing Around the Kitchen - December 18, 2011

[…] not only add more flavor, but may also be safer for prolonged storage. For a great recipe, click here. (3) In a sauce pan, heat olive oil until a few small bubbles start forming . ** If your oil starts […]

19. Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil | Food Frenzy - November 15, 2011