Herb Bread

I had forgotten how much fun it was to make bread!

During the first few years of our marriage I made pretty much all of our bread.  Then my career, travel and life got in the way.  I’ve been itching to get back into making it and finally that itch got the best of me.  I knew it was going to happen when I saw the recipe for the Macaroni Grill Bread on Kneady Sweetie’s site.  It was an herb bread finished off with butter and salt.  What a great place to start!! However, as always, I made a few, actually several changes to the original recipe. I used the same yeast, water and flour amounts, then went wild with the herbs. I love a good herb bread and this is definitely a good one!

This bread is best if eaten within a day or 2 after making.  Any leftover stale bread makes great croutons and grilled cheese sandwiches.

The herbs – The first time I made this the only fresh herb I used was the rosemary.  However, when I made it the second time, I used the fresh basil, parsley, and rosemary mix.  Both batches were excellent, so it really doesn’t matter.  And yes – I do use quite a bit of herb in this bread.  I guess that’s because I’ve always loved a good herb bread, plus I grow a lot of herbs.

I don’t have a mixer so I did the kneading by hand which I find a very Zenlike thing to do.  In fact, it was in the kneading step that I realized why I enjoyed making bread.  I don’t think I would make bread, if I used a mixer.  For me, manually kneading bread is why breadmaking is so much fun!

This post has been linked to the following blog hops.  Please be sure to check out the other recipes.

Bizzy Bakes, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Midweek Fiesta, Made With Love Monday, Frugal Food Thursday, Katherine Martinelli’s Bread Hop

Featured on Bake with Bizzy Post.
JWsMadeWLuvMondays
Feature on Made with Love Monday

Tags: , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Herb Bread”

1. Javelin Warrior April 16, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Heaven bless you for the hand-kneaded dough! I’m so impressed you put that much love into your bread because it’s been a LOOONG time since I kneaded dough by hand for an extended period of time ;) This sounds delicious and I love that you can use fresh herbs in the bread. And the idea of turning these into rolls is very appealing ;)

Thanks so much for sharing…

2. Amy March 13, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

wow!!so delicious bread!!

Thanks for sharing with Midweek Fiesta & hope to see you again….

3. Bizzy December 28, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Thanks for linking this up. It will be featured, this week, at Bake with Bizzy. Stop by and say hello.

4. Bizzy December 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

Fresh bread is a true gift. There is something about the combination of the aroma and the flavor. I love breads which have a lot of flavor and all these herbs but make it pop in your mouth.

If you have a moment, I would love it, if you would link this to Bake With Bizzy.

• mj December 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

Thanks for the comments. Thanks for asking me to link up to your site! It’s done!

5. Ramona December 11, 2011 at 5:37 am #

My hats off to any baker that can bake bread like that!! You are really talented because you bake and your cook really well. I am a cook… baking is relatively new to me. I think I need a little more courage before I try to bake bread without my bread machine. My family would think I was pretty awesome if I pulled that beauty out of the oven. :)

• mj December 11, 2011 at 9:05 am #

I actually put away my bread machine and made this bread. It was so easy so a great recipe to start with. Thanks for your nice comments Darlin!

6. Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare November 17, 2011 at 6:07 am #

This looks really good! My husband woud love it as he likes any type of bread that has herbs in it! Thanks for sharing & thanks for stopping by my page the other day!
    Willa

7. Mamaloli November 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

I love making fresh bread at home! Thanks for sharing!! :)

8. easyfoodsmith November 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Oh! What a lovely loaf of bread…I love herbed breads…thanks for sharing :)

9. Giulietta | Alterkitchen November 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

YOU BAKED BREAD… and now I have proof! :)
    So glad you did! And now I have to start making bread again, too! :)

• mj November 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

:) :) :)

10. daksha November 3, 2011 at 12:51 am #

Home made bread is all ways good:). U make so perfectly.

11. mj November 2, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments! I definitely plan to make this recipe one of my “old standbys” in that I will be making it a lot. :)

12. Purabi Naha November 1, 2011 at 9:31 am #

Homemade bread is always good! One can make so many varieties and so cheap! This herb bread looks too yummy to resist!

13. Manu October 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

What a great looking batch of bread! I love herbs too MJ, so I would probably put a lot of those in mine too! ;-) I wish I could have a bite of that!!!

14. Charles October 31, 2011 at 11:44 am #

Lovely – my favourite thing in life is good bread. Did you ever try using semolina flour? I find a half/half mix of semolina to regular makes a fantastic bread, and it’s slightly easier to digest than plain white too… as well as staying soft and fresh for longer (for some reason :/)

• mj November 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

No I have never used semolina flour in bread. I definitely will have to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

15. Jay October 31, 2011 at 6:30 am #

wow..sounds utterly delicious..;)
    Tasty Appetite

16. Katherine Martinelli October 30, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Herb bread! This sounds delightful.

17. Kelly October 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Oh, MJ, I can smell this delightful loaf from here… The crust looks perfectly glazed and deliciously crunchy. Love all the beautiful herbs – marjoram particularly interesting.

18. lavieenfribourg October 30, 2011 at 12:59 am #

Such a pretty loaf of bread-

19. Food Jaunts October 29, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

Love all of the herbs in your bread. I’m totally with you – nothing is better than an excellent herb bread. I need to get back into making bread again

20. Anne@frommysweetheart October 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

MJ…what a gorgeous boule! I need to start making more bread. I especially love this herb bread and would be happy to just dip it into some really good olive oil! I think I’ve just been inspired!!! : )

21. Spoon and Chopsticks October 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

This is a beautiful bread. I’m sure this is very tasty. I’ve never baked bread with herbs. I should try this out. Thanks for sharing.

—————————-
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks

22. Melanie October 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

This bread looks amazing! I can imagine taking the first slice of this bread while it’s still hot and smelling the herbs!

23. Dee at Deelicious Sweets October 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

There are times I go to Macaroni Grill just for the bread. Your recipe looks outstanding and I can’t wait to try it. Other copy cat recipes just haven’t done it justice but this one looks fabulous!

24. sally October 29, 2011 at 11:15 am #

What a beautiful loaf of bread! Now that the weather is cooler, I’m looking forward to making some homemade bread too.

25. Suzi October 29, 2011 at 10:59 am #

MJ that bread looks perfect. I tried making bread this past week and I just don’t know what goes wrong. I wanted to make little buns for sliders and when I put the slit in the top before cooking, the dough collapsed and so there was no height to the buns. I could eat yours right now, Nothing better than fresh bread from the oven.

1. Mushroom Garlic Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 26, 2012

[...] A side – Any good bread works great with this soup.  We love eating it with an Herb Bread. [...]

2. Garlic Soup Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 24, 2012

[...] also had made an herb bread the same day I made the soup, so guess what we ate with the soup. To go with the leftover soup I [...]