Green Chile Stew and Video

In the fall of 2011 we shot a short video for a contest sponsored by Chile Monster, a supplier of New Mexico chile, tortillas and tamales. The goal of the video was to “represent ANYTHING about New Mexico Chile, your LOVE for chile, Eating Chile, ANYTHING CHILE!”  It sounded like fun, so we went for it!

Bobby came up with a great idea that required his brother Jeff, a person who loves eating hot food (the hotter the better), to eat a bowl of really hot NM green chile. The premise of the idea – let’s make Jeff sweat!!!  For the video Bobby shot Jeff eating a bowl, actually two bowls, of fresh roasted New Mexico chile with a few beans and a little hamburger meat (recipe follows).  The video should make you smile.  It sure makes me smile!  (NOTE:  You can watch in HD if you choose.  Once you hit play, click on the “360p” and select “720pHD”, then go to full screen so you can really watch Jeff sweat! :) )

So did we win the contest?  YES, we WON!  Guess what we won?  Roasted Green Chile!  Do you think I could come up with something to do with that? :)  The chile prize was actually lagniappe.  It was the making of the video and having fun with my family that was the real prize!

Now for the Recipe

So what IS he eating?  He’s eating a very simple Green Chile Stew.  It’s not our regular Green Chile Stew, but it was still quite tasty and very easy to make.  For the video I held back on all of the non-chile ingredients, because I wanted the chile to be the star of the show – although I think Jeff stole the show!   The initial green chile stew (what Jeff ate) was WAY TOO HOT for me, so when we had the leftovers for supper the next night I added more meat and beans.  The following recipe is how I would make it for “normal” people.

Easy New Mexico Green Chile Stew

Vegetarian – Omit the meat, use water or vegetable broth, and add a diced potato and another cup of pinto beans, if desired. I usually don’t drain the beans because pinto bean juice is quite flavorful.  I love the vegetarian version!

The chile – The stew that I made for the video was made with “hot” chile. We had to make Jeff sweat afterall, and with his iron stomach, medium would not have worked.  You can always adjust the amount of chile that you use based on the temperature of the chile and how hot you want your stew.

The Ground Beef – Most green chile stews you find in New Mexican restaurants are made with pork shoulder.  However, a neighborhood New Mexican restaurant that we used to frequent in the 70’s and 80’s used ground beef and it was hard not to order it, especially if is were cold outside. It was SO good!  When the restaurant closed down in the early 90’s, I had to learn how to make this stew at home.  It turned out that it was actually quite simple to replicate because, with all green chile stews, the meat is not the star – the green chile is!  So as long as you have good, New Mexico green chile (which means “any” New Mexico green chile), it doesn’t matter if you use beef, pork, chicken, turkey, or no meat at all. It’s all good!

Another green chile stew that you can find here is Green Chile Stew with Sirloin which is one of Bobby’s favorite things to make and is quite different from this recipe.  It’s a lot heartier and more like a real stew with chunks of beef and potatoes.  We love both of these stews and which one we decide to make is really just determined by the ingredients on hand and how much time we have.

More on New Mexico Chiles

Chile or Chili?

Red or Green? and Christmas – Red and Green

NM Red Chile and Red Chile Recipes

NM Green Chile and Green Chile Recipes

Green Chile Burn Video and recipe for a Quick and Easy Green Chile Stew

NM Green Chile Enchiladas

NM Red Chile Enchiladas

NM Green Chile Stew

Recipes that use Green Chile

Recipes that use Red Chile

Sources for New Mexico Chile Products

This Quick and Easy Green Chile Stew recipe has been linked up to  the blog hops Friday Potluck, Fat Tuesday, Let’s Do Brunch, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Midweek Fiesta, Sunday Night Soup Night, Made From Scratch Monday, Made with Love Mondays, Whole Foods Wednesday, Creative Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Weekend Potluck, Food on Friday  .   Click on the links to enjoy a variety of great recipes!

Easy Green Chile Stew was featured on the Hearth & Soul Blog Hop by Zesty South Indian Kitchen.

This recipe was a featured recipe in The Huffington Post, October, 2012.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to “Green Chile Stew and Video”

1. Lisa March 14, 2014 at 11:24 am #

I love the video! It’s amazing how much sweat the stew produced! :) It looks delicious, though I may have to tone down the chiles a little to eat it. LOL!

• mj March 16, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Thanks Lisa! So glad you enjoyed the video. I have to admit that I have to tone down the chile a bit as well, but my BIL can Loves it, absolutely loves it HOT! As you can tell. :)

2. Michelle September 14, 2012 at 9:52 am #

MJ,
    LOVE IT! I can’t believe how red he got and that he was actually sweating. It sure must have been HOT. I love a good chili and I like it hot but maybe not as hot as Jeff. Great video. Made me smile :)

Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Michelle

• mj September 14, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Thanks Michelle! Making the video was a lot of fun! We still smile about it. I hope you get a chance to try the stew. It’s easy and oh so tasty!

3. Miz Helen September 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Hi MJ,
    We are Hatch Green Chili fans and always look forward to the Chili season. Your Green Chile Stew looks great, we will sure give it a try. Great video, easy to see why its a winner! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

• mj September 14, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Thanks Miz Helen! I hope you do try to stew. It’s really good! Happy weekend!

4. Swathi September 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

I love spicy food, i would love taste this chili. I like you idea of serving them with tortillas. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. I have to highlight this recipe as it is spicy.

5. Alea Milham September 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

That is the way my husband likes his chile! I like that you serve your chile with tortillas instead of cornbread, I never thought to do that before.

• mj September 14, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Alea, this chile stew is more about the chile than the meat and here in NM, tortillas are the standard carb for chile dishes! Now Texas type chili I would definitely eat cornbread! Thanks for dropping by!

6. Javelin Warrior August 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

The video is awesome, MJ, and wow I don’t think I could last long under that kind of heat! I enjoy a little spice, but then I go looking for the sour cream and milk and shredded cheese to cut the spice! Thanks so much for sharing with Made with Love Mondays!

7. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food February 28, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

What a cool story, and congrats on your win! Green Chile Stew sounds so tasty, although I’d make a milder version for my wimpy taste buds! Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon!

8. Amy February 10, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Very nice video,you have made him sweating!! :) We like to eat spicy food,and chili too….Thanks for sharing this interesting recipe & post with Midweek Fiesta…

9. April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 17, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Priceless! That does sound like quite a hot chili, even in it’s milder variations, but sometimes hot is just what you need! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with Let’s Do Brunch.

10. Christy January 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

We love chili – all different kinds – I would have to use mild chilis for my whimpy family!

11. Erin @ Ekat's Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

I miss green chili so much from when we lived in the Southwest. I might just have to go hunt some down here in Alaska. Perfect for a cold day :)

12. Kathy October 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Such fun to watch. Must have been a blast to make. Jeff’s devilish grin was the perfect coup de grace. Thanks for sharing!

13. mj October 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments! I’ll definitely being passing them on to Jeff and Bobby!

14. Kelly October 5, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

Love the idea of green chile stew particularly now as the weather is turning… it looks so nourishing and comforting. Beautiful photos too.

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 5, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Wow Jeff ate it all… my stomach can’t tolerate spicy food. It’s shame – I love to try and enjoy all kinds of spicy food but I’ll be gone for hours after that and it’s just not worth it. My husband loves spicy food and eat while he sweats. I kind of dream of eating spicy food to experience that heat. I was watching this video and felt envy that Jeff eats this chile so good! Looks yummy and wish that my stomach cooperate with me!

16. danny October 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

I can’t even start to tell you how much I enjoyed that!!!!!

• mj October 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

:) :) :)

17. Ishita S. October 4, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

This green chile stew looks amazing — perfect for fall’s chilly nights!

18. The Elegant Eggplant October 4, 2011 at 10:46 am #

What a great, easy and delicious recipe! The hotter the better for me too :)

19. mj October 4, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Thanks for the wonderful comments!!! I’m thrilled y’all enjoyed the video and thanks for voting. Joanne and Manu – I know you like it hot, so you would have loved this chile! :)

20. Manu October 4, 2011 at 4:30 am #

HAHAHAHA That video is awesome!!! Well done guys! I can’t believe Jeff ate it all!!! :-)) I have voted for you! Good luck! And congrats to Tina for winning your give away! <3

21. Joanne October 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Oh my goodness…I seriously can hardly watch that video because it’s driving me NUTS! I WANT SOME TOO!!!!!! LOL. I loved watching it, great video, not too long, and I just loved watching him eat that soup…you can tell he really enjoyed it, even if it was making him sweat!

22. Kate @ Kate from Scratch October 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

This sounds and looks wonderful! I absolutely LOVE the video! Great job!

23. Suzi October 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Wow, that it hot, is Jeff okay? I like hot but that is HOT. Nice video, voted.

• mj October 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

LOL – Yes, Jeff is o.k. I’ve actually seen him worse, but not much worse. He loves it and had a blast! We all did! Thanks for voting!

24. Bev Pawlowski October 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

Love this MJ! Music is great and the sweat rolling off his face is hysterical. :)

• mj October 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

Thanks Bev! He loved it – the hotter the better!

25. John October 3, 2011 at 8:06 am #

Good job, Jeff! It’s clear that you have never met a bowl green NM chili that you didn’t like. :-) You’re a better man than me on the hot hot green.

Fun video: awesome music, and I love the cicadas (I think?) singing in the background.

“That was good!” lol

• mj October 3, 2011 at 9:00 am #

Yes – they are cicadas! When Jeff first tasted the chile he said that it might not be hot enough to make him sweat! WRONG! :) Thanks for your comments John!

26. sally October 3, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Wow! He is really sweating! I love the video.

• mj October 3, 2011 at 8:58 am #

Thanks Sally!

27. Giulietta | Alterkitchen October 3, 2011 at 12:55 am #

Great video, MJ! And he’s not sweating, he’s dripping! :D

• mj October 3, 2011 at 8:58 am #

It was REALLY HOT! :) :)

28. Jeff October 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

I have had bowls of green chile all over NM. But, that was the best bowl of green chile ever. Nice and hot but the flavor of the chile really came through. I think I am going to start making it like this rather than the “typical stew style.” Thanks to you and Bobby. I had a great time. xoxoxo MJ.

• mj October 3, 2011 at 8:57 am #

Thanks Jeff!!!! I think we all had a great time! Should have done a “making of film!” :) xoxoxox back at cha!

29. Food Jaunts October 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Oh that’s such a good video, I’d definitely vote for it. I’m a bit of a hot food fanatic but I don’t know if I could eat two bowls! Love your recipe, I’d probably use a mix of medium and hot (with sour cream on the table for my husband lol)

• mj October 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Thank you! I’ll post the voting link tomorrow – I hope! I use to could eat food this hot, but now I need that sour cream or at least a glass of milk! :)

30. Katherine Martinelli October 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Love the video!! You sure got him sweating :-) But he finished! I like spice but the toned down chili looks perfect for me.

• mj October 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

Thanks Katherine! We had fun and I think Jeff had the most fun! :)

1. Calabacitas Enchiladas (Squash, Corn, Green Chile) | MJ's Kitchen - June 18, 2013

[…] Part III – NM Green Chile: Recipes and Green Chile Stew and a Video […]

2. New Mexico Green Chile Stew | MJ's Kitchen - January 13, 2013

[…] little over a year ago I posted my Easy Green Chile Stew, a quick little stew with a few ingredients and one that can be made and ready to eat in less than […]

3. New Mexico Green Chile | MJ's Kitchen - December 2, 2012