Mango and Jicama Salad

Mango Jicama Salad with pickled cucumbers, bell peppers, and mint. #jicama #mango @mjskitchen mjskitchen.com

I’m sure many of you can relate when I say that some of the best dishes come about when there’s “nothing in the fridge”. How many times have you heard those words spoken by someone in your household? Home cooks know that there is ALWAYS something in the fridge! That’s how this mango jicama salad come to be.

I have to admit that it was time to go to the co-op and restock, but I still had some “halves” of this and that in the crispers – a half of a red bell pepper, a piece of Jicama, some pickled cucumbers from the night before, and a mango that had been waiting a while to be chosen. I sliced it all up and tossed it together in a salad bowl with some fresh mint and a touch of onion. The dressing came from using some of the vinegar marinade from the cucumbers (nothing goes to waste) with a little oil and – voilá – a wonderful, refreshing summer salad.

Also, if you were wondering what to do with those pickled (marinated) cucumbers from last week’s post (in addition to using them as a side dish), here’s an idea.

*A suggestion that I haven’t tried, but might work – If you don’t have to time to make the pickled cucumbers, try slicing a dill pickle very thin and using it instead.  If you try it, let me know if it works.

If you don’t have jicama, you could substitute a really crisp apple or maybe even thinly sliced fennel.  Haven’t tried it with the fennel, but the texture is right.

Even when I’m just serving the two of us, I still make the whole recipe. This salad keeps so well in the fridge that it makes great leftovers. Personally, I think it’s like a soup – it’s better the second day. It also travels well. I’ve made it for road trips as part of our roadside picnic lunches and for camping.

As far as what to serve it with – well – just about anything! We love it with grilled meats such as Flank Steak or chicken. It also goes well with roasted meats – oh, who am I kidding?  It just goes well with meat!  I’ve also seen a lot of spicy tofu dishes lately that this would probably match well with, but since I haven’t cooked much with tofu, it’s hard to say. Yes, that’s something I should change. I do need to start playing more with some tofu recipes.

Anyhoo – I hope you enjoy this salad as much as we do! And to think – I was told there was nothing in the fridge!

If you like this Mango Jicama Salad, the here are some other salads with fruit that you might like:

Strawberry Pinon Salad with Coconut @MJsKitchenStrawberry, Coconut and Pinon Nut Salad

Citrus Salad @MJsKitchenSweet and Spicy Citrus Salad

Easy, breezy salad with kale, Cara Cara orange, toasted pumpkin seeds and a light dressing | mjskitchen.com

Massaged Kale with Cara Cara Orange

A cool and refreshing watermelon salad with preserved lemon, mint and olives @mjskitchen #watermelon #preserved #lemon

Watermelon Salad with Preserved Lemon

This Mango Jicama Salad with Pickled Cucumbers has been linked to the following blog hop.  Be sure to click on the link for more fabulous recipes.

Taste This Thursday, It’s A Keeper Thursday, Freaky Friday, Full Plate Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Katherine Martinelli’s Mint Hop, Summer Salads Sunday, Mix It Up Monday, My Meatless Mondays, Made From Scratch Monday, Made w/ Luv Monday  .

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Mango and Jicama Salad”

1. Javelin Warrior July 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I’m so impressed that you put together this entire salad just from what you had on hand in the fridge! I mean, who has jicama lying around? 😉 But then, it doesn’t surprise me at all that you do… I don’t think I’ve ever had jicama, but the salad sounds tasty and not that I know it’s similar in texture of fennel, I’m so intrigued…

2. mj August 7, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Thanks Mary! I look forward to seeing your salad recipe!

3. Mary Hudak-Colllins August 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Oh, how funny! I can so relate to that phrase LOL. My children stand with the kitchen door open while I’m telling them to find what they want and shut the door. They look at me with that blank expression and say ‘there’s nothing in here’. Oh yeh…I hear it all of the time. But this is a really good-looking salad! I have a post coming up in about 3 weeks (I think) that is along these lines ☺
    I’ll have to hunt a jicama in our grocer just to give this a try. Thanks for sharing and hope that you have a wonderful week!

4. The Wimpy Vegetarian June 24, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

This looks so refreshingly good. And I love your recipe for pickled cucumbers!

5. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food June 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

I bought a jicama a while back but really had no idea what to do with it! Love this idea of using it in salad with mango! Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon.

6. suzyhomemaker June 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

I love jicama! This salad sounds so light and refreshing. I just recently used mango in a salad. Unfortunately the next day it was too mushy! But if I make this salad I would just put mango on after I mixed up the salad.

7. Tara Noland May 16, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

I love jicama and you don’t see it used very often. I include it frequently in my veggie and dip platters. This look like a nice light summer salad. Cheers, Tara

8. amber May 12, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Simply gorgeous salad!!

Thank you for sharing your recipe with us this week on AFW! Be sure to check back next week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

Be Well,
    –AFW Hostesses

9. Alyssa April 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

This looks good! I agree I always come up with the best stuff when I feel that there is nothing else to eat. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you there next week!

10. Miz Helen April 20, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Good Morning MJ,
    What a great post and a great recipe! Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

11. Magic of Spice August 19, 2011 at 10:25 am #

I think I need to go check my fridge now 🙂 What a lovely salad with such beautiful color, so perfect for summer 🙂

• mj August 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

It’s amazing what one can find in the fridge! 🙂

12. Peachie August 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

The salad looks so nice and fresh!! I haven’t heard of jicama before but i did a search and it says that it looks like a turnip? does it taste like a turnip too?

• mj August 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

No – it doesn’t taste like a turnip at all! In fact, it’s moist, crispy and a little sweet. It’s used a lot in Mexican cuisine. In fact, that’s where I find it – at the Mexican market. Please give it a try. You’ll love it!

13. Kim Bee August 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

This is so beautiful! What a lovely recipe.

• mj August 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks Kim Bee!

14. raquel erecipe August 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

you know what? I love salad with green mango and I usually partner it with grilled meat or fish this is great for summer. I love it.

• mj August 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

I’ve never used green mango, but I’ll definitely have to try it. thanks!

15. Dawn August 8, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

I had to laugh because it is so true! What a fabulous recipe and a perfect outcome for “nothing in the fridge”!

• mj August 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Thanks Dawn!

16. Dee at Deelicious Sweets August 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

I have to completely agree with you! Some of the best dishes come about when I am pantry and freezer foraging! This salad looks great!

• mj August 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks Dee!

17. Manu August 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

This is a great salad idea MJ! I love it! Mango in salads is something I haven’t tried yet but I can already guess I’ll love it! 🙂

• mj August 7, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks Manu! I hope you like it if you give it a try.

18. Tres Delicious August 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Sound Jamaican. I love mangoes and it’s seemingly a healthy delight for our diet

• mj August 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

I never thought of it having a Jamaican flare, but sounds good to me. -:) I hope you give it a try. Thanks for stopping by!

19. sally August 6, 2011 at 6:23 am #

I haven’t had jicama in ages! I’ll have to pick some up to makes the fresh summer salad.

• mj August 6, 2011 at 10:04 am #