An Old Stand-by for Grilled Chicken

Grilled soy chicken thighs

Whenever I don’t want to think about what to cook, I just throw together an old stand-by. For chicken – it’s my soy-ginger grilled chicken. It is so easy that you really don’t have to measure anything which is a good thing since I don’t measure anyway. I just throw the ingredients in a large bowl, whisk, add the chicken and toss to coat. The rest is up to Bobby.  See how easy that was for me?

Even an old stand-by can be improved upon. Earlier this summer my sister-in-law substituted the garlic and ginger powder with my ginger-garlic paste, making a good thing even better! So if you happened to have made this paste, here’s a great use for it.

As you probably noticed in the picture, I removed the chicken skin before grilling.  I’m not a big fan of chicken skin unless it’s really, really crispy, so I always remove the skin and any visible fat when I grill or braise chicken pieces. To keep the chicken from sticking to the grill, I add oil to the marinade and Bobby sprays the grill with oil before cooking the chicken. As a result, the chicken doesn’t stick and we get low fat grilled chicken.

Let’s talk serving size.  According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Pyramid a serving size of meat is 3 ounces or 85 grams or about the size of a deck of cards.  So since this recipe calls for 8 pieces of dark meat chicken, then “technically”, there are 8 servings.  Well folks – Bobby and I make two meals from 8 pieces of chicken.  I, MJ, follow the guidelines and eat one serving at each meal.  Hum – so where do all of the other servings go?

Related Links:

jar of garlic ginger pasteGinger-Garlic Paste

Thai chicken and vegetable over penneThai Chicken and Vegetables

This recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links for more delicious recipes.

What’s Cooking Love?, Made With Love Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “An Old Stand-by for Grilled Chicken”

1. ananas grillad October 18, 2013 at 5:34 am #

Spectacular internet site. Many useful information and facts listed here. I am transmitting them to a couple of pals ans as well revealing in scrumptious. And certainly, many thanks for your energy!

2. Javelin Warrior June 12, 2012 at 8:35 am #

This sounds delicious MJ! I never thought of using ginger to coat the chicken, but that would add a wonderful spicy warmth to compliment the garlic and soy. I wonder if I could use crystalized ginger – maybe mashed up? Thanks so much for sharing and my mouth is watering ;)

3. Alyssa June 5, 2012 at 7:54 am #

This marinade sounds delicious. I am always looking for new marinades to try with chicken. Thanks for the recipe and thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

4. Soni January 18, 2012 at 9:06 am #

This looks similar to chicken satay that I absolutely love, will be making this for sure!Thanks MJ!

5. fati's recipes January 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Aah, I loooove grilled chicken, but sometimes it’s the marinade that turns “grilled chicken” into something amaaaaaaaazing… I haven’t tried this marinade before, so I think next time we fire up the grill I’m going to give this a go :)
    … Bookmarked the recipe.

6. Mamas Gotta Bake September 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Chicken is my old-stanby dinner. This looks delicious and I’d like to give the recipe a try! Ginegr-garlic paste, how good is that!

• mj September 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I hope you do try it – you’ll love it! And – yes – the ginger garlic paste is awesome! Thanks for stopping by!

7. raquel @ Erecipe August 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

hi mj, just looking for something to cook and saw this new post now I have an idea what to cook at dinner =)

8. mj August 17, 2011 at 8:57 am #

Thanks everyone for your comments and for stopping by!

9. Kim Bee August 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

Great meal. I try never to look at the recommended serving sizes, too depressing. Your garlic paste recipe looks so good!

10. Liz August 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

I love these kind of dinners…simple, pantry ingredients with delicious results!

11. Sherry August 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

So nice to visit your fun blog! and thanks for yours to Jefferson’s Table. Old standbys are the best and yours is perfect. Best from Montecito, Sherry

12. Tes August 16, 2011 at 6:37 am #

Wow what a beautiful grilled chicken :) It looks so juicy and perfect :)

• mj August 16, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Thanks Tes!

13. Manu August 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

Mouth watering way to cook chicken MJ! I love it. And I too often remove the skin from the chicken… it has to be really crunchy for me to get near it!!! hehehe

• mj August 16, 2011 at 8:09 am #

14. Dale Green August 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

I’ve already started the chicken with a spicy rub but I’ll detour to ginger.thanks mjskitchen!

• mj August 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Spicy rub sounds good! Gotta love that chicken!

15. Peachie August 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

This looks so good! I will have to make it soon!! Thanks for sharing!

• mj August 14, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Bev and Peachie – Hope you enjoy it!

16. Bev Pawlowski August 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

This looks awesome MJ! Bookmarked to try. Hubby loves chicken. :)

17. nancy@skinnykitchen.com August 14, 2011 at 9:39 am #

What a simple to make, healthy and yummy way to make chicken!

• mj August 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Thanks Nancy!

18. Merut August 13, 2011 at 9:57 am #

This does look good, and I’m guessing it tastes good and smells good. I love old standbys, especially for chicken. My go-to for grilling is a tequila-lime marinade. But I’ll have to give this one a go.

• mj August 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

I’ve never tried a tequila-lime marinade, but it sounds delicious. Will have to give it a try! Thanks for stopping by!

19. ray August 13, 2011 at 9:53 am #

This is a good-looking chicken, MJ and I like the simplicity of the recipe. I love it when food are so simple to prepare. I also want to thank you for visiting and commenting on my site the other day. I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend!

• mj August 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Thanks Ray! Simple, easy, and tasty – that’s how I like it! Thanks for stopping by!

1. Garlic Ginger Paste Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - March 3, 2014

[…] Thai Chicken and Vegetables Kabocha Squash and Fennel soup Mafe’ – A West African Stew Grilled Soy Ginger Chicken […]

2. Coconut Rice with Pickled Peppers | MJ's Kitchen - December 10, 2012

[…] This coconut rice is a perfect side dish for grilled soy ginger chicken. […]

3. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 8-15-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - August 14, 2012

[…] had a few grilled food recipes linked up last week.  Be sure to check them out.  They look great. Soy Ginger Grilled Chicken – MJ’s Kitchen Grilled Pineapple-Pepper Pork Chops – Simply Living Healthy Mustard Marinated […]

4. An Old Stand-by For Grilled Chicken « Food Frenzy - December 8, 2011