What’s in Your Quesadilla?

Quesadillas with pico de gallo

In this kitchen we call it a quesadillas anytime we fold one or more ingredients in a flour tortilla or between two corn tortillas, and heat until brown and crispy. Just about anything can be used to make a quesadilla, but more on that later. All in all quesadillas are so quick and easy to throw together making them perfect for a fast breakfast, lunch or supper – for one person, two people, a family or a party. They can actually be somewhat healthy depending on the ingredients you use, or more importantly – the ingredients you leave out.

So what’s in your quesadillas? Please share with us your favorite quesadilla recipe or provide a link to your favorite.  Following are two of my old stand-by quesadilla recipes.

Ingredients – A quesadilla can be vegan, vegetarian, or a meat lover’s supreme. All it takes is about a cup of chopped vegetables and precooked meat, if desired, and a touch of cheese (to hold it all together). Of course if you are vegan, omit the cheese.

Corn tortillas or flour tortillas? It doesn’t matter –we use whatever is in the fridge and we ALWAYS have one or the other.

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning – my favorites are Walkerswood and Carib – oh so HOT, but oh so GOOD.

Toppings – pico de gallo, your favorite salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or sour cream substitute, or nothing at all. We sometimes use a sour cream substitute (like Tofutti) with a little garlic paste, minced jalapeno, cilantro and green onion. This topping is especially good with our crab and red chile quesadillas.

Cooking method – Fry, grill, toast under the broiler, or my method, heat on a hot cast iron griddle.

Here’s another quesadilla to check out:  Chile Relleno Egg Quesadilla

So what’s in your quesadillas?

This post has been shared with the following blog hops.  Please sure to click on the links to see many more delicious recipes.

Full Plate Thursday, Midweek Fiesta, Breakfast Ideas Mondays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays (with corn tortillas)

The Egg Quesadilla Recipe was highlighted at Gluten-Free Wednesday’s Egg Blog Hop.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “What’s in Your Quesadilla?”

1. Linda June 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

It looks good and sounds like a great breakfast.

• Erik March 1, 2013 at 10:16 am #

I like to use either a spinach&herb tortilla or tomato basil tortilla, chedder cheese, chicken or turkey, chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and red chili powder (I use Chimayo red chili powder from New Mexico). Heat them in a pan until both sides are browned, makes from some AWESOME quesadillas. Now I’m going to have to have them tonight lol!

• mj March 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Erik, sounds like a great quesadilla!

2. Jolene @ Yummy Inspirations May 22, 2012 at 3:58 am #

This would be such a yummy breakfast! Thanks for sharing at Breakfast Ideas Mondays!

3. Anna Racaza March 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

I’m definitely going to try this recipe! My boyfriend loves quesadilla so thanks for the recipe :)

4. Miz Helen February 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Your presentation of the Quesadilla is so pretty. This is an awesome recipe that we would just love! Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

5. Elise February 9, 2012 at 8:38 am #

I’m so going to try the egg quesadilla! That looks like it’d make a phenomenal breakfast. :)
    Honestly my favorite quesadilla has always been just cheddar cheese in a tortilla fried until it’s nice and crispy and then dipped in salsa. So healthy, right? LOL.

6. Flamingo December 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

ok…these quesadilla recipes sound fantastic!!! definitely trying them soon!

7. bhavani@ameanderingmango August 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Looks delicious – I haven’t had a quesadilla in ages! the last one I tried was smoked salmon and dill cream cheese. I’ll have to make another one soon!

• mj August 30, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Smoked salmon and dill cream cheese sounds pretty darn good! :)

8. Ann July 22, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Our quesadilla recipe is very similar. I agree with you – if you put an ingredient in it and fold the tortilla over – it’s a quesadilla. However, if I’m not making it – whoever DOES make it can call it what they want!

Here’s my link: http://www.cookinghealthyforme.com/2011/05/confetti-quesadillas-also-known-as.html

• mj July 23, 2011 at 10:46 am #

This looks wonderful! I have pesto in a tube, but I’ve never seen cilantro in a tube. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the link!

9. Joyti July 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Hmmm, quesadillas are so good…and its close to lunchtime here.
    I like mine with cheese inside, and with a avocado salsa on the side.

• mj July 20, 2011 at 8:17 am #

I’ve never put avocado “inside” a quesadilla, but looks like many of you do. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks!

10. natalie July 19, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Mmm…Your black bean and corn quesadilla is pretty much my standard. Another one I really love (stolen from my local Tex-Mex place) is a flour tortilla with Monterray Jack cheese, tomatoes, and avocados. Simple and delish. :)

• mj July 20, 2011 at 8:15 am #

It’s hard to go wrong with Tex-Mex! Sounds good! Thanks!

11. daksha July 18, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Hi! ur Quesadillas looks fantastic!! super like thanks for stopping my space u have lovely space too. Thanks for sharing this.

• mj July 18, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Daksha, Thanks for stopping by and for your nice comments!

12. mj July 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Both of these recipes sound wonderful! Definitely will be giving them both a try because I LOVE quesadillas, if you haven’t figured that out already. -:) Thanks!

13. SaraJ July 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I got the idea from Granite City Restaurant but I make them at home all the time. Leftover (or frozen Fridays brand) spinach and artichoke dip and crab meat, a little corn and black bean and finely chopped red onion. So so delicious.

14. Jenny @ Savour the Senses July 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

Love love love quesadillas! I have never thought of using Jamaican jerk seasoning, sounds delicious. I recent fell in love with goat’s cheese and these Mediterranean Shrimp and Goat’s Cheese quesadillas are to DIE for!– http://savourthesensesblog.com/shrimp-goat-cheese-quesadillas/

1. Chile Relleno Egg Sandwich | MJ's Kitchen - September 14, 2013

[…] and that was to just scramble some eggs and top them with chopped green chile.  I also shared my tortilla egg sandwich, the go to breakfast or lunch when I just don’t want to figure out what to make.  This year […]

2. Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer | MJ's Kitchen - November 6, 2012

[...] makes a great relish for sandwiches or as a replacement for the Jamaican Jerk seasoning in a tortilla egg sandwich if you feel like sweet rather than [...]

3. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 6-6-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - June 5, 2012

[...] are the final egg highlights from May. Bacon, Eggs, and Chives for One – Real Food, Real Deals Egg Quesadilla – MJ’s Kitchen Egg in a Hole – Skinny GF Chef Individual Baked Caprese Eggs – Bizzy Bakes [...]