Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer

Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer with toast

This is a tasty little appetizer and a perfect way to use those beautiful colored bell peppers that are hitting the markets this time of year. Any combination of colors will work. I prefer using the sweet bells – yellow, orange and red – but I’ve also used just green and red bell peppers for a more festive appearance. It was not as sweet as using all sweet peppers, but it was just as good. If by some miracle you have leftovers, this appetizer makes a great relish for sandwiches or as a replacement for the Jamaican Jerk seasoning in a tortilla egg sandwich if you feel like sweet rather than spicy.

Bell Pepper Facts (from various supporting sources)

Three bell peppers- red, yellow, greenGreen bells have twice the vitamin C by weight than citrus.
Red and yellow bells have 2 to 3 times the vitamin C of green.
Red bells have 11 times more beta carotene than green bells.
As bell peppers mature on the plant they change color and get sweeter.  The most mature bells – red, yellow and orange – are the sweetest because they are fully mature.

Roasting bell peppers on the grill

1. Poke each bell pepper twice with a knife. (This prevents them from exploding during roasting.)
  2. Place the whole bell peppers on a hot grill and close. Turn the peppers occasionally as the skin toward the heat starts to blacken. Continue turning the peppers until the skin on all sides, top and bottom has started to pull away from the meat and blacken.
  3. Place the roasted peppers in a bowl and cover with a damp rag. Let cool for at least 15 minutes or until you can handle them.
  4. Once the peppers have cooled, remove the skin, seeds and veins. Chop the pulp.

Roasting bell peppers under the broiler

2. Line a cake pan or broiler pan with aluminum foil.
  3. Place the whole bell peppers in the pan and place under the broiler. Turn the peppers occasionally as the skin toward the heat starts to blacken. Continue turning the peppers until the skin on all sides, top and bottom has started to pull away from the meat and blacken.
  4. Remove the peppers from the broiler and wrap in the aluminum foil. Set aside and let cool for at least 15 minutes or until you can handle them.
  5. Once peppers are cool, remove the skin, seeds and veins. Chop the pulp.

More on roasting bell peppers

There are several different methods for roasting peppers and even for cooling them. I’ve tried many of them. The two roasting methods described above are now the only two I use. When the weather is cold, I roast under the broiler and when it’s hot, I roast outside on the grill. I always roast the whole pepper because I have found that it yields juicier meats.

There are also several methods for cooling the peppers. The cooling process does two things: it steams the peppers making it even easier to remove the skin and it allows you to be able to handle them.  Believe me, you don’t want to handle them right off the grill. I haven’t found much difference in the methods for cooling them as long as they “steam”. Effective methods include the following:

Place in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or seal the bowl with plastic wrap
Wrap the peppers in aluminum foil
Place the peppers in a paper or plastic bag and seal

I’m sure there are other methods, but these are the ones that have worked for me.

My favorite comment  - “I served this appetizer with 5 others on Thanksgiving, and it was, BY FAR, everyone’s favorite appetizer…FABULOUS!!”

This Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer has been linked to the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links and enjoy a variety of wonderful recipes.

Katherine Martinelli’s Dip Blog Hop, Fusion Friday, Frugal Food Thursday, It’s A Keeper Thursday, Fat Tuesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, Gallery of Favorites, My Meatless Mondays, Foodie Friday, Full Plate Thursday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Mix It Up Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Made With Love Monday .

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Roasted Bell Pepper Appetizer”

1. Javelin Warrior April 26, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I love the tie-in with this week’s Made with Love theme, MJ! This recipe definitely features bell peppers and it sounds so tasty. I really wish I had an outdoor grill so I could roast bell peppers using that method. I bet they taste even smokier. Alas, I use the broiler exclusively now… :/

2. Amber @ The Cook's Sister August 15, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Looks amazing! Love how healthy it is!

Stopping by from Whole Foods Wednesday (I posted a Watermelon and Cucumber Smoothie – #34)

Pinned.

Amber @ The Cook’s Sister

3. Miz Helen August 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Hi MJ,
    We just love Roasted Bell Pepper’s and this is a great appetizer that we would really enjoy. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

4. Carole July 13, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Great use of what we call capsicum.

I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in an attempt at meatballs. Have a super week.

5. JM July 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Yum, sounds good! A great summer recipe :)

6. Chaya July 9, 2012 at 7:25 am #

I love the sweet peppers also. I do use green for pepper steak and a few other recipes but the red, orange and yellow are my favorites. This looks delicious and I hope to make it.

7. Alea Milham June 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

What a delicious and healthy appetizer! I am looking forward to trying this when I harvest my peppers.

8. April @ The 21st Century Housewife June 14, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Your Roasted Red Bell Pepper Appetizer looks so delicious! I love the sound of the recipe; it’s really fresh and piquant, and I like the addition of the balsamic vinegar too.

9. Paula November 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

• mj November 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Paula – Thanks for letting me know!! I’m thrilled that everyone liked it!

10. Kim Bee July 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Wow I had to bookmark this. It looks so incredible.

• mj July 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks Kim Bee! I hope you enjoy it!

11. Martine July 28, 2011 at 8:44 am #

That looks so yummy and healthy!

• mj July 28, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks Martine!

12. Lisa Fine July 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

This looks delicious – I never would have thought to pair roasted peppers with olives, but it sounds like a really good combination.

Thanks for sharing all of those tips of making roasted bell peppers. It’s something I’ve only done once or twice in the oven, and would love to try on the grill.

• mj July 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks for your nice comments! Glad I turned you on to something new.

13. sally July 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

This looks like a fantastic relish that could go on/with all sorts of things!

• mj July 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks Sally! It is quite versatile.

14. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family July 26, 2011 at 8:04 am #

I am now following…I don’t want to miss anything.

• mj July 26, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Thanks Rachel! I hope you like the recipe and thanks for being a follower!

15. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family July 26, 2011 at 8:03 am #

I have peppers in the fridge and cannot wait to give this recipe a try.

Man oh Man! I just want to dig right into that bowl.

Thanks for the great recipe!

16. Giulietta @ Alterkitchen July 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

I had digestive problems with bell peppers, but now they (some of them, at least) are gone , so… bell peppers forever!!!
    And this appetizer looks fabulous! :)

• mj July 26, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I’m glad to hear that some of your problems with bell peppers are gone. I had problems with avocados for years but thankfully, that’s history. I hope if you do try this recipe that it suits you well.

17. The Mistress of Spices July 25, 2011 at 4:06 am #

This looks delicious! I agree with Shari, there’s nothing better than roasted peppers.

• mj July 25, 2011 at 8:51 am #

Roasted bells are one of my favorites as well – obviously! Thanks for stopping by and for the comments!

18. Shari July 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Mmm…nothin’ better than roasted peppers. One of my favorite vegies. Thanks for the recipe!

• mj July 25, 2011 at 8:49 am #

I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!

1. Tortellini with Roasted Pepper and Onion | MJ's Kitchen - April 27, 2014

[…] Roast the bell peppers under a broiler or on the grill. Peel, remove seeds and veins, and coarsely chop. […]

2. Roasted Bell Pepper Almond Cheese Spread | MJ's Kitchen - April 7, 2013

[...] If you don’t have a roasted bell pepper in the freezer or a jar in the pantry, you can always roast it under the broiler. If you roast it, be sure to let it cool before adding it to the cheese.  You don’t want it [...]