Rhubarb Mint Sorbet

Bowl of Rhubarb Mint sorbet

This is a rhubarb recipe for those who love rhubarb as well as for those who don’t. And how do I know this to be true? Bobby isn’t a fan of rhubarb unless it’s combined with strawberries – until now.

I was so excited when I went to the local co-op last week and found fresh rhubarb. I wanted to go home and make a rhubarb-strawberry cobbler; however, summer has set in so the highs are in the 90’s. In this house – that means it’s too hot to run the oven. When you cool your house with a swamp cooler (very common in the southwest) it’s hard to keep the house cool if the oven is on. So – since I can’t use the oven, I had to come up with something else to do with the rhubarb.

I decided to try my hand at a rhubarb sorbet. We both love sorbet, so why not. I added mint because I have LOTS of it and mint complements just about anything, including rhubarb.  And the strawberries that Bobby needs in order to eat rhubarb?  Let’s just say I forgot them.

As a kid I use to eat rhubarb by dipping the end in a sugar jar. I loved it! Between that and chewing on sugarcane it’s a wonder that I have any teeth left. I had one hell of a sweet tooth and still do. My mother also loved rhubarb so when it came up in the spring, the rhubarb cobblers and pies started coming out of the oven. They were marvelous – a little tart, a lot of sweet – Yum!

Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, Bobby isn’t a big fan of rhubarb so in order to get my rhubarb fix, I compromise and make my cobblers with a mix of rhubarb and strawberry. However, I wasn’t willing to compromise with the sorbet. When I served it I didn’t tell him what it was which worked. He thought he was eating strawberry sorbet!

So what did this little rhubarb sorbet do for my rhubarb dilemma? Bobby absolutely loved it without any strawberries! Rhubarb cobbler with NO strawberries – here we come!

If you love this sorbet, you’re going to love these ice creams!

Peach Pecan Ice Cream

Salted Pecan Chocolate Ice Cream

This rhubarb mint sorbet recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.  Be sure to click on the links to see more delicious recipes. Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Food Thursday, Hearth and Soul, Weekend Potluck, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Creative Thursday, Made With Love Monday, Sugar Me Up @ EMC, Just Another Meatless Monday, What’s Cooking Love?, Katherine Martinelli’s Mint Hop, June/July 2012 Ice Cream Blog Hop, Meatless Monday, Carole’s Food on Friday ,

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Rhubarb Mint Sorbet”

1. Carole April 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Fantastic! Thanks for linking in to Food on friday again. Cheers

2. Rashida Shaikh August 28, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Hello,
    Glad to find you here…I like your presentation along with the recipe,
    I would appreciate if you visit my place…
    I like your place following you on facebook…
    Cheers!

3. Jessica August 28, 2012 at 8:00 am #

I have to get me a new ice cream maker! Mine broke 🙁 The only way I’ve ever had rhubarb was in pie and that was pretty good. I have read it is very good for you, so if I get a new ice cream maker I will try this. Thanks for linking up!

4. Elizabeth @Mango_Queen June 18, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Great mix of rhubarb and mint in a frozen treat! Thanks for sharing the ice cream love with us!

5. Ruchira June 13, 2012 at 3:06 am #

The sorbet looks amazing! How awesome!

6. Helena / Rico sin Azúcar June 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

A really good sorbet with such a beautiful pink color!

Happy #icecream love!

7. Soni June 7, 2012 at 8:38 am #

So delicious looking sorbet!I love rhubarb and can totally imagine the lovely flavors in your sorbet!Perfect for the hot summer months :)So glad you linked it to our bloghop!!

8. Alyssa May 21, 2012 at 10:26 am #

This sorbet looks fantastic! I need to try this, I only tried rhubarb once as a kid and did not like it. I would like to try it again and I think in a sorbet would be a great way to do it. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!

9. Dulce fresa May 3, 2012 at 1:59 am #

Yum this sorbet looks delicious!

10. Michelle May 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Thanks so much for linking this delicious looking sorbet up to Creative Thursday link party.

I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day.

Michelle

11. Janelle (Gluten Freely Frugal) May 1, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Thanks for sharing on Allergy-Free Wednesday! Hope you’ll join us again this week with another great recipe!

12. Javelin Warrior April 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Wow, this sounds delicious MJ! I’ve never heard of rhubarb sorbet or ice cream before, but I love the concept and it looks so good. What a wonderful recipe to share and thank you so much for bringing it to Made with Love Mondays!

13. April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I’m so glad your husband enjoyed the rhubarb sorbet! It certainly looks beautiful, and I love the idea of using mint in it as well. It sounds so summery and delicious. I like the tip about adding the Vodka – I never thought about how that could make sorbet smoother. Thank you for sharing it, and this wonderful recipe!

14. Alea Milham April 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Perfect timing – I just harvested some rhubarb. I love the idea of combining rhubarb with mint; such a delicious combination. I look forward to trying this.

15. Sally June 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I made this sorbet last weekend. It was delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

• mj June 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Sally, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the comment.

1. Rhubarb Mint Sorbet - Yum Goggle - July 11, 2015