Grilled Flank Steak

Soy-Port marinated grilled flank steak

A 1.5 to 2 pound grilled flank steak provides the two of us with 3, sometimes 4 meals. We’ll usually make at least two meals from the steak before freezing the leftovers for another week. However, sometimes none of the steak makes it to the freezer. So how do we make 2 to 4 exciting meals from one flank steak in one week? I use the perfect marinade that allows the steak to be used in many, many ways.

Several years ago I came up with a marinade of ruby port, soy sauce and some herbs. Since then, the majority of the flank steaks we’ve grilled have been seasoned with this marinade. Talk about an old standby. Once marinated and grilled, this flank can be used in fajitas, steak and eggs, steak salad, stir fry, or just sliced with a couple of complementary sides. See Kitchen Notes for some of our favorites.

Grilling time – Because we know that we’ll have leftovers, we cook the meat so that the thicker section is a little rarer than we normally like it. For the first meal, we use the two ends of the steak which are cooked perfect. This way, when we reheat the steak for the next meal, we don’t overcook it and it doesn’t get tough. (Overcooked flank steak is tough so we always shoot for medium rare.)

To store the leftover steak, place in a covered glass dish.

To reheat, move the container from the fridge to the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes.

Meal suggestions

Meal 1: Sliced flank steak, creamy polenta and Aarti Sequeira’s Massaged Kale Salad (an awesome salad) or my Strawberry, Coconut, and Pinon Salad or any other of these delicious salads.

Meal 2: Flank steak fajitas with sizzling onion and bell peppers, pica de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, fresh cilantro, and minced jalapeno), sour cream and guacamole.  OR leave out the pica de gallo and smother the fajita with red chile sauce.

Meal 3: Flank steak stir fry of onion, bell pepper, leftover flank steak, and chopped fresh tomatoes. Season with a little ground mustard, paprika, garam masala, salt and pepper and serve over rice.  We like this stir fry with brown rice.

Meal 4: Steak salad – Lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, a touch of thinly sliced onion, toasted sunflower seeds, sliced flank, dried cranberries, feta cheese, and a roasted garlic dressing (mash two cloves of roasted garlic and whisk with 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. honey, 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar and 2 Tbsp. olive oil) or make up your own dressing.

This grilled flank steak recipe has been shared with the following blog hop.  Click on the link to see more wonderful recipes.  Hunk of Meat Monday, Frugal Food Thursday, Weekend Potluck, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Made With Love Mondays

This recipe was featured on Gluten-Free Wednesdays – August 2012

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Grilled Flank Steak”

1. Carole June 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Yum! Thanks for bringing this on over to the BBQ, MJ. Cheers

2. Javelin Warrior May 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

I love the marinade, MJ! And the meal option number 2 sounds particularly appealing to me with the guac and pica de gallo… Mixing the red wine with soy sauce sounds delicious and I really should try this as I’m such a novice with steaks…

3. Kim @ Sunflower Supper Club May 25, 2012 at 8:54 am #

This looks delicious MJ! Thanks so much for sharing at the Weekend Potluck! Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

4. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious May 24, 2012 at 9:19 am #

I was just thinking about what to make for memorial day! This steak looks absolutely fabulous, and I’m loving all the flavors here. I can’t wait to use up the leftovers for tacos and salads!

5. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen May 18, 2012 at 10:59 am #

I’m going to try this one for sure. I always have ruby port on hand because I do a ruby port sauce for beef that is to die for. I also always have a flank steak in the freezer so I’m good to go. Love a good marinade!

6. lnl July 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

Try a maranade of Taquila 1/2 cup, juice from one lime, fajitas spices, Italian dressing or Catalina dressing for a sweeter steak. Maranade for no longer than 30 minutes or it will fall apart when grilled. Pour your maranade over the onions and peppers as they cook. It’s a take off of the King Ranch Fajita.
    lol, lnl

• mj July 26, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Thanks for the recipe.

7. PK June 11, 2011 at 11:16 am #

This sounds terrific and seems easy enough to do even without a kitchen. :-) We’ve been grilling a bit lately, as you know.

• mj June 11, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Definitely can be done without a kitchen! Throw some asparagus and corn on the grill with it and you have your complete meal. Or wrap up some sliced onion and bell pepper in aluminum foil and cook them on the grill for fajitas. Add your favorite salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!

8. Nads June 9, 2011 at 9:21 am #

MJ and Bob fixed meal #1 for us on a visit a few months back. OMG – the four of us wiped out the entire steak at one sitting. Not to mention the polenta and kale salad too. The meat was so tender and flavorful. It was hard not to just hold each bite in your mouth and let the flavor swim all over your tastebuds.

The kale salad she mentions is now a family favorite at my house. Granted it is not one of her originals, but you will be forever grateful that she introduced you to it. (Haven’t made the other salad because we can’t eat coconut, but otherwise, it sounds really good.)

• mj June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Thanks Nads! I remember that meal. It’s amazing that we got any eating done with all of the chatting, but the four of us did manage to put away a lot of food that night!

9. Foodiewife June 8, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Flank steak fajitas are one of our favorite meals. Your sauce sounds terrific!

• mj June 9, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Thanks! I hope you get to try it.

1. Green Beans and Potatoes with Deconstructed Pesto | MJ's Kitchen - September 18, 2013

[…] Of course bacon!  However, the other night I had a little piece of leftover grilled flank steak, so we cubed it then tossed it in a hot skillet for about a minute to sear it.  I think the steak […]

2. Mango and Jicama Salad Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - July 2, 2013

[…] as what to serve it with – well – just about anything! We love it with grilled meats such as Flank Steak or chicken. It also goes well with roasted meats – oh, who am I kidding?  It just goes well with […]

3. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 8-29-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - August 28, 2012

[…] Week’s Highlights: Grilled Watermelon & Chicken Spinach Salad – GF Skinny Chef Grilled Flank Steak – MJ’s Kitchen Herbed Turkey Burgers with Zucchini Buns – Queen of […]

4. Hunk of Meat Monday: Easy Beer Marinade - May 27, 2012