Strawberry, Coconut and Pinon Salad

Salad with fresh strawberries, toasted coconut and pine nuts

It really doesn’t take much to make a tasty salad and this is one example.  There are a few substitutions you could use, but don’t compromise on the star ingredient – the strawberries.  Use the tastiest strawberries you can find.   The other ingredients add different textures and complementary flavors.

Greens, fruit, and nuts – what else do you really need for a salad?  Adding the sweet onion provides a little bite while the toasted coconut with the strawberries makes the salad “exotic”.

Greens – For the greens you can use just about anything.  Personally, I prefer lighter greens such as butter leaf or a spring mix.  Heavier greens like romaine or even spinach just don’t work for me with this combinations of ingredients.

Pinons – If you don’t have pinon nuts (pine nuts),  almonds work great.  If you have neither, then try what you do have.  Like I said – if you have greens, fruit and nuts, you have a salad.

The dressing is a simple dressing because that’s all this salad needs.

This strawberry and coconut salad recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.  Click on the links for more fantastic recipes! Midnight Madness Meatless Monday, Frugal Food Thursday, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Taste This Thursday, Fat Tuesday. Whole Foods Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday?, Made with Love Mondays, Whole Food Wednesday, Summer Salad Sunday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays , Katherine Martinelli’s Coconut Hop

This recipe was featured on Midnight Madness Meatless Monday (2/13/12) and on Gluten-Free Wednesdays (July 2012).

Tags: , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Strawberry, Coconut and Pinon Salad”

1. Linda July 3, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

I think to add coconut to salads. It’s a great idea and I’m sure it tastes good with the strawberries. Thanks for submitting your strawberry recipe for Gluten Free Wednesdays.

2. Vicky June 10, 2012 at 4:00 am #

The ingredient choice in your salad is a lovely idea! I can just imagine the flavours, yum!

3. Debbie @ Easy Natural Food June 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

This looks delicious! I familiar with strawberries in a salad, but the coconut is a great twist! Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon.

4. Javelin Warrior April 24, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Wow, looks delicious MJ – and so easy. I love the addition of coconut and pine nuts to the salad. Such a light and refreshing way to celebrate spring. Thanks so much for sharing…

5. Kati April 4, 2012 at 7:39 am #

MJ, That salad sounds absolutely delish! Can’t wait for strawberry season :) I wanted to invite you to share it at Whole Foods Wednesday where you can link up whole foods recipes and tips for whole living. Hope you have a blessed day!

Katie

6. Kadri June 30, 2011 at 8:39 am #

This looks so summery and colourful. I love everything with strawberries :P

• mj June 30, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Thanks Kadri!

7. Eftychia June 14, 2011 at 7:31 am #

Delicious salad. I like the colours!!

• mj June 14, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I’m so glad you liked it!

8. raquel.erecipe June 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

looks great…can I substitute almonds instead of pinon nuts? or add some fruits instead. thanks =)
    free nutritional information for your recipe

• mj June 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Almonds do work great. You could also use salted peanuts because they complement the coconut. Thanks for the link.

9. Janet May 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

I’m so glad you posted this in strawberry season! It’s incredible.

• mj May 28, 2011 at 11:24 am #

So glad you enjoyed it! It’s one of our favorite salads.

1. An Assortment of Strawberry Salad Recipes | MJ's Kitchen - May 14, 2013

[...] Strawberry Coconut and Pinon Salad [...]

2. Grilled Flank Steak | MJ's Kitchen - November 18, 2012

[...] Meal 1: Sliced flank steak, creamy polenta and Aarti Sequeira’s Massaged Kale Salad (an awesome salad) or my Strawberry, Coconut, and Pinon Salad. [...]

3. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 7-4-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - July 3, 2012

[...] – Gluten-Free Cat Candy Cane Beet, Strawberry, and Black Plum Salad – The Tasty Alternative Strawberry, Coconut, and Pinon Salad – MJ’s Kitchen Wholesome All Fruit Pops – The Nourishing Home Strawberry Pie (vegan & [...]