Cornmeal Ricotta Pancakes

Cornmeal ricotta pancakes with bananas and strawberries

Sometimes missing the main ingredient for a dish leads to something even better.  That was the case with these pancakes.  I woke up one Saturday morning with a craving for buttermilk pancakes but no buttermilk.  In the dark recesses of the refrigerator I did have some ricotta cheese that needed to be used, so I decided to substitute the buttermilk with ricotta. But you know how it goes; once you substitute one ingredient it opens the recipe up for substituting other ingredients.  Eventually you end up with a completely different recipe.  Man, I’m glad I didn’t have any buttermilk!

Update October, 2013

Since I first came up with this pancake recipe back in 2011 it has been the only pancakes I’ve been making.  Every time I ask Bobby if he wants pancakes the response is “Absolutely, as long as it’s the Cornmeal Ricotta Pancakes“. :) I have only added a couple of suggested adjustments/substitutions/variations since, to the original recipe. One is, if you do have buttermilk, you can use buttermilk in place of regular milk or use a combination of the two.  The second variation came about the morning I didn’t have any lemon, so I substituted orange zest.  It was just as delicious.

Kitchen Notes Science

A few years back I taught a week long summer camp with a friend of mine on Kitchen Science.  Playing in the kitchen making breads, cookies, and candy and getting to explore the science behind the results was so much fun!   So let’s have some fun and talk about the science of leavening agents.   I promise – no chemical formulas!

As you already know baking powder and baking soda are common leavening agents used in the baking of pancakes, waffles, quick breads and cookies.  Baking powder is actually baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with an acidic element (usually cream of tartar) and cornstarch that prevents clumping.  When baking soda is placed in an acidic environment, a chemical reaction occurs. This chemical reaction forms carbon dioxide which forms bubbles in the batter.  When heat is applied, the reaction increases creating more carbon dioxide, and the batter rises even more.  That’s why quick breads get larger in the oven and pancakes grow on the griddle.

Ingredients such as buttermilk, molasses, lemon, vinegars, yogurts, and chocolate are some of the acidic elements used in baking to react with baking soda.  In the Cornmeal Ricotta Pancakes the ricotta is the acidic element.  When no acid is included in the recipe, baking powder is used because the cream of tartar in baking powder provides the acid needed for the chemical reaction to occur.

So when you make pancakes, waffles, and quick breads be sure not to over work the batter.  Gently combine all of the ingredients then let the baking soda/acid reaction do its thing.  The reaction starts as soon as the dry ingredients come in contact with the wet ingredients, so if you stir the batter too much or too long, you’ll pop those carbon dioxide bubbles and the outcome will be flat.

If you like this recipe, then you’ll probably like these as well.

Banana Buttermilk Waffles with Strawberries and Pecans

Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese

Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese

This cornmeal ricotta pancakes recipe has been shared with the following blog hops.  Click on the links to see many more fabulous recipes. Made from Scratch Tuesday, Gallery of Favorites, Mix It Up Monday, Taste this Thursday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Food Thursday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Kids in the Kitchen, Food on Friday .

Tags: , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Cornmeal Ricotta Pancakes”

1. kelli- AdventurezInChildRearing August 14, 2012 at 7:49 am #

thanks so much for linking with Kids in the Kitchen! this is fabulous and I pinned and shared it!

• mj August 14, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Kelti!!! And thanks for hosting your blog hop!

2. Connie May 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I would like to actually use buttermilk instead of the milk.
    Should I change the amount of baking powder in the recipe?

Thanks for a great blog.
    My husband and I (in our early 50s) moved a few years ago to a house where we could
    plant a hobby orchard. I’m hoping by the time we retire the trees will
    have grown enough to produce enough for us and, as my husband likes to call them, our “landlords” . So far most everything has been
    eaten by the squirrels and crows. Did you have this problem and if so how did you resolve it?

• mj May 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Thanks Connie for your nice comments! Buttermilk works great with these! In fact, I made them with buttermilk yesterday morning. I did not change the amount of baking powder and it was fine. In reference to keeping those little varmints from eating your fruit, you could cover the trees with a light netting. I’m not sure if it would keep the squirrels out, but it was successful in scaring off the birds (most of them anyway). :) I hope your orchard grows to give you an abundance of fruit!

3. Russ May 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Fluffy and moist. I used half bread and half all purpose flour and the recipe came out as the best pancake recipe I’ve tried so far-I’ve tried a ton. The thickness of the batter made them easy to form as well. Thanks!

• mj May 28, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Russ, Thanks SO MUCH for the feedback! I’m thrilled that you loved them and thought they were “the best pancake recipe I’ve tried so far!” WOW!!!! Does that make my day, week, month – or what!?!?! Please share with your friends and thanks again!

4. lisa March 22, 2012 at 8:30 am #

These look divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

5. Alea February 6, 2012 at 9:40 am #

Your pancakes love fantastic! I love experimenting in the kitchen. I really appreciated your scientific notes. When my daughter was nervous before her first chemistry class I told her it was justlike cooking only you couldn’t eat the results. :) Thanks for sharing this with the Gallery!

6. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 6, 2012 at 8:58 am #

I know exactly what you mean – once you start experimenting, it’s addictive! I really like what you’ve done with these pancakes – the cornmeal and ricotta must give a fabulous flavour and texture. Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

7. Sally May 20, 2011 at 8:18 am #

I cooked these last weekend and we all loved them!

1. Entertain your friends with a fantastic Brunch! « The All Seasons Catering Blog - June 19, 2012

[...] Pancakes adapted from MJ’s Kitchen [...]

2. cornmeal ricotta pancakes with strawberry rhubarb compote | Sassy Radish - May 28, 2012

[...] Cornmeal Ricotta Pancakes with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote Pancakes adapted from MJ’s Kitchen [...]