Suppertime Pileup (Sweet Potato and Fennel)

Meal with sweet potatoes, onion, fennel, and sausage topped with an egg mjskitchen.com

One of my favorite brunches is the southwestern pile-up – cubes of pan roasted potatoes, onion, bacon or chorizo (or both), cheese, and red or green chile all piled on top of each other and topped off with a runny egg or two. This recipe with potatoes, fennel and andouille uses the same idea, but with different ingredients and served as supper. After all, who doesn’t like an egg for supper.

The sausage – Even though this recipe calls for Andouille sausage, it can be made with just about any sausage or without sausage.  I like it best with Andouille or  Mexican chorizo.  A friend of mine used a turkey sausage and loved it.

The fennel – If you don’t have a fennel bulb or don’t like fennel, just use two onions instead of one.

Vegetarian version - Omit the sausage and add a little jalapeno or green chile to the onion/fennel mix.

Variation from 12/14/2012 – Replace the andouille with chorizo and top the egg with a little red chile sauce.

Leftover fennel fronds – Need an item for those leftover fronds?  Try making these fennel infused onions. Delicious!

This pileup recipe has been linked to the following blog hops. Be sure to click on the links for more delicious recipes.
Mouthwatering Monday Blog Hop, Gluten-Free Blog Hop, Frugal Food Thursday,
Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Keep It Real Thursday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Monday

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Suppertime Pileup (Sweet Potato and Fennel)”

1. Javelin Warrior March 26, 2013 at 7:54 am #

I love the sound of this pileup, MJ! Fennel seed is often used in Italian breakfast sausage, so combining here with egg sounds perfect. And I’d totally eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner ;) Such a delicious dish and thank you so much for sharing!

2. Heidi October 17, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Wow! Sounds yummy. I love sweet potatoes. I know this is a silly question, but does fennel taste like licorice (like the seeds do)?

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to visit my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up this and any other GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

• mj October 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Thanks Heidi! Cooked fennel doesn’t take like licorice. The seeds yes, and even the raw bulb a little. The cooked fennel has a sweet taste all its own. Thanks for the invite to your party. I’ll head over there.

3. Alyssa April 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

This looks good, I really like the egg on top! Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you there next week!

4. Mrs. Delightful March 6, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Yummy! I would love for you to Link up at my Linky Party via: http://www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful

5. Caroline Musacchia March 5, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

This looks really yummy!! I’ll have to try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

6. France @ Beyond The Peel January 25, 2012 at 9:37 am #

I love the name, a pileup! I’ve never heard of them before but I think there the same as what we call a skillet breakfast. I would totally eat this for dinner. i Love how you included fennel in your recipe. It’s one that I’m completely addicted to these days.

I’m hosting Whole Food Wednesdays at beyondthepeel. I hope you’ll swing by and maybe even join in! Have a great week.

7. Baker Street October 19, 2011 at 7:43 am #

Delicious! Just delicious!

8. Your SIL May 29, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Jeff likes this pileup with a little less sweetness, so we use red potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Still a yummy bowl of comfort!

• mj June 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks for the feedback!

9. Sally May 20, 2011 at 8:21 am #

Another use for my favorite sausage! I loved this!

1. Homemade Mexican Chorizo Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - April 15, 2013

[…] Suppertime Pileup […]

2. Fennel Infused Onions Recipe | MJ's Kitchen - November 2, 2012

[…] good looking stalks and fronds intact.  Use the bulb for another dish.  Need an idea?  Try my Suppertime Pileup.  Save the fronds for a variety of uses during the week. There are so many things that you can do […]

3. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 10-24-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - October 23, 2012

[…] Crustless Sweet Potato Pie – Gluten Free Easily Sweet Potato Biscuits – Gluten Free Easily Sweet Potato and Fennel – MJ’s Kitchen Sweet Potato Muffins – Skinny GF […]