Braised Italian Sausage with Vegetables

One pot meal with Italian sausage and vegetables

A quick and easy one pot meal with lots of flavors.  Just throw all of the ingredients into the pot, cover, simmer for 30 minutes, and then sit down and eat.   Serve with crusty bread like Farmer’s bread or serve over rice or grilled polenta.

I have served this dish over rice and grilled polenta and, in both cases, we thoroughly enjoyed it.  Then one weekend Bobby wanted to try his hand at the Cooks Illustrated adaptation of Jim Lahey’s No Knead Bread.  I was already planning on making this meal so instead of rice or polenta, we decided to serve it with homemade bread, fresh from the oven.  It was awesome! The broth soaked up in the bread, and then a piece of garlic from the bowl smashed on the crust of the bread – well – you can imagine the party in your mouth.

In reference to the ingredients, there is a lot of flexibility –

• I use a mild Italian sausage, but pretty much any type of sausage would work; however, I wouldn’t recommend hot and spicy (it might overpower the other ingredients).  You could be really health conscious and use chicken or turkey sausage, or if you are vegetarian – use a veggie sausage and vegetable broth.
  • I prefer the large button mushrooms when I can find them.  I love biting down into a big piece of mushroom that’s been braised in vermouth and broth.
  • Since I use canned artichokes, adding them halfway through the braising prevents them from getting overcooked and mushy.
  • If you’re not a capers fan, try green olives.
  • If you have fresh herbs, then of course, use fresh instead of dried – just double the amount.

This recipe has been linked to the following blog hops. Click on these links to find more tasty recipes.

Hearth and Soul Hop, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Johnsonville Sausage Hop, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Made With Love Mondays

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Braised Italian Sausage with Vegetables”

1. Tessa@The Domestic Diva April 5, 2012 at 11:07 am #

This looks SO good, my mouth is watering! I love the addition of the capers…a little surprise flavor punch! Thanks for sharing with us on Allergy free Wednesdays, this recipe is pinned!

• mj April 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks Tessa! It is mouthwatering good!

2. Swathi December 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Delicious that is only word I can say. Eventhough I won’t eat meat my hubby does. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

3. Alea Milham December 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

Party in my mouth was exactly the words that came to mind when I read this recipe! It sounds delicious and I love that it is so flexible. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

4. Anna Garden July 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

I just made your recipe “Braised Italian Sausage with Vegetables” using Trader Joe’s Chicken Italian Sausage. Oh, yum! The chicken sausage is lower in fat than the other Italian sausage I’d been using and it’s really delicious. It is salty so I rinsed the capers and artichokes and didn’t need to add additional salt at the end. Is this synergy? Whatever, it’s good!

• mj July 9, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

Thanks Anna! I’m so glad you tried it with the “more healthy” sausage! OMG! Yes – it is synergy, but it’s also the weekend, so we’ll just call it goooooood and save the other word for weekdays. -:)

5. Sally April 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

Thanks for this recipe! I made it last night and it was great and so simple. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.

• mj April 20, 2011 at 9:23 am #

Sally, I’m glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the feedback.