Olive Brine Pickled Vegetables

An assortment of vegetables pickled in olive brine #pickled #vegetables @mjskitchen

Making Olive Brine Pickled Vegetables is an extremely easy pickling process that allows you to repurpose olive brine after all of the olives have been eaten, as well as to deal with little pieces of fresh vegetables that haven’t been used.  All you need to do is to cut the  vegetables into small, bite size pieces, place in a jar and cover with olive brine.  Refrigerate for a couple of days and you have an awesome, healthy little snack.  If you want the vegetables to have a spicy kick, add a couple of sliced hot chile peppers.

As you can see, there is nothing to this process.  In the recipe, I’ve listed the vegetables shown in the pictures, and in the Kitchen Notes you’ll find other vegetables you could use.  And if you buy Costco size jars of olives like we do, you’ll always have olive brine.

Olive Brine Pickled Vegetables

The easiest pickled vegetables you'll ever make. Chop and cover with olive brine. #pickled #vegetables @mjskitchen

An assortment of vegetables pickled in olive brine | mjskitchen.com
Print Recipe
Olive Brine Pickled Vegetables
Prep
10 mins
Total Time
10 mins

These are the easiest pickled vegetables you'll ever make.  These pickled vegetables are salty, with an olive flavor, and stay crispy for 2 weeks, but, I'm sure they won't last that long.

"*" See Kitchen Notes for more information or links to special ingredients.

Course: Appetizer, Condiments, Snack
Recipe Author: MJ of MJ's Kitchen
Ingredients
  • 2 cups olive brine
  • 1 small piece of each of the following vegetables
  • cucumber
  • zucchini
  • yellow summer squash
  • carrot
  • onion
  • 2 hot chile peppers, sliced
Instructions
  1. Cut the vegetables into small, bite size pieces.

2. For 2 cups of brine, you should have about 2-3 cups of chopped vegetables.

3. Transfer the vegetables to a clean jar with a non-metal lid.

4. Pour the brine over the vegetables.  Tap the bottom of the jar to remove air bubbles. Add enough brine to cover all of the vegetables.

5. Close the lid and transfer to the refrigerator.  Let set for 2 days before eating.

Olive Brine - The brine from a jar of pimento stuffed green olives is my favorite, but just about any olive brine works.  If you have at least 1 cup of brine, you can make at least a small batch these pickled vegetables.

Vegetables - Any crispy, raw vegetable works.  However, raw red beets will cause everything to turn red, but, if that's o.k. with you then go for it.  I've never tried beets so I can't honestly say how they work.  In addition to the ones already listed, I recommend cauliflower, broccoli stems, daikon radish, garlic cloves, fennel, bell pepper, or sweet peppers.

How long will it last? - The vegetables stay crispy and last for about 2 weeks.  You can make a second batch during that time using the same brine once the first batch is gone; however, the second batch will be less salty with less of an olive flavor, but still tasty.  After two weeks, then it's time to toss the brine.

An assortment of vegetables pickled in olive brine | mjskitchen.com

If you have been reading my recipes for a while, you know that I repurpose olive brine quite often in a variety of recipes.  These pickled vegetables are made when I’m completely out of olives and left with a good amount of brine.  However, sometimes I’ll just steal some of the brine before the olives are gone and use in other ways.  Below are some of the recipes in which you’ll find olive brine as an ingredient.

Olive Brine Hot Pepper Sauce

Quick Chilli Pickle in Reused Olive Brine from With a Glass

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Cheese Spread

Roasted Pumpkin and Red Chile Soup

Antipasto Style Hors d’oeuvres

Gochujang Deviled Eggs

Chunky Gazpacho

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to “Olive Brine Pickled Vegetables”

1. Hotly Spiced October 15, 2017 at 11:20 pm #

That is such a good idea. I’ve never thought to do anything with it except pour it down the sink which does seem so wasteful. One of my sons loves to drink the brine water – that’s something I could never do. Your pickles are so bright and colourful xx

• mj October 16, 2017 at 9:22 am #

Thanks Charlie! I’m with your son…I used to drink as well. 🙂 Olive brine and pickle brine both are so easy to reuse for this purpose. I hope you give it a try.

2. Raymund October 14, 2017 at 11:34 pm #

Nice idea, never had thought of brining my veg on olive oil. Sounds so Mediterranean, this must be really good with crust breads like ciabatta

• mj October 15, 2017 at 11:14 am #

Thanks Raymund! But read carefully – it’s olive BRINE, not olive oil. I’m not sure how one would marinate in olive oil. Maybe a confit, but not a cold marinade.

3. Liz October 14, 2017 at 6:52 pm #

Bill is the olive eater around here, so this is a good excuse to buy a jar for him to snack on. I’d love to add these to an appetizer platter—so easy!

• mj October 15, 2017 at 11:13 am #

There would be great on an appetizer platter! I’ve been putting them out as an appetizer for just the two of us. Thanks Liz!

4. Debra Eliotseats October 14, 2017 at 3:23 pm #

What a great idea! Makes me want to go buy some olives and eat them all!

• mj October 15, 2017 at 11:13 am #

Thanks Debra!

5. Sissi October 14, 2017 at 1:36 pm #

Beautiful pickles, MJ! And delicious too, I’m certain! I always pickle only chilli in leftover brine, time to change and experiment with other vegetables too. If I use the brine from olives stuffed with jalapeños (our weekly buy), the vegetables will become spicy without any additional chile…. I’m all motivated now! Time to open a new jar!
    Thank you so much for inspiration and for the kind link to my blog!

• mj October 15, 2017 at 11:10 am #

Thanks so much Sissi! I knew you would like these. Now you just need to keep your SO from drinking all of the brine. 🙂 Great idea to use brine from jalapenos stuffed olives! My chile plants are still producing so I’m adding them to everything. Hope you enjoy! Have a wonderful week Darlin!

6. Nadalyn October 13, 2017 at 3:15 pm #

I can’t believe the colors stayed so vibrant. I haven’t used vegetables in olive or pickle brine but I do put hard boiled eggs in the leftover brine. In a couple of days they are perfectly pickled and keep a good while. I will have to try the veggies too. Hope mine look as appetizing as yours.

• mj October 13, 2017 at 4:14 pm #

It’s amazing how vibrant they do stay. And crispy too. Hard boiled eggs? Now that is something I’d like to try. I know Bobby would love it since he LOVES HB eggs, so I’m going to try that next time. Thanks for the idea and the comment! XOXOX

7. Judy Purcell October 13, 2017 at 6:50 am #

The vibrant color is always what appeals to me the most — a nice bit of punch beside sandwiches of any kind. 🙂

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:13 am #

Thanks Judy! The color is amazing isn’t it? It keeps the vegetables so fresh and crunchy. I made a smoked chicken salad with them yesterday and it was so good.

8. IFortuna October 12, 2017 at 11:52 pm #

I love using Vlasic kosher pickle brine. It is great for pickling veggies but I love drinking the brine, especially in the summer. I have even used the low salt variety and it is good too. Salt is really the element that give the pickle its crunchy snap though.
    I have often used a Japanese pickle press for making pickles too. It works great and the pickles come out very crunchy.

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:12 am #

When I was a kid I use to drink pickle brine all of the time, but I think it pickled my throat because not I can’t handle it. 🙂 It’s good stuff though and I love putting onion in pickle brine. I’ll have to check into that Japanese pickle press. I’ve never heard of it. Thanks!!

9. Carol at Wild Goose Mama October 12, 2017 at 6:56 pm #

You are a GENIUS!!!! I always feel guilty when I dump the juice from the olive jar or can. I love pickled veggies. This is sooooo easy too. AND I am going to share this information which is going to make me a popular person with some people. Wow, what an amazing idea. Thank you!

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:10 am #

It’s amazing the ideas we can come up with when we really don’t want to waste something. And yes, not only do repurpose the brine, it’s SO EASY to do. Thanks!!!

10. Deb|EastofEdenCooking October 12, 2017 at 6:03 pm #

Oh wow! I’m always looking for ways to use up every scrap of food. I hate being wasteful and often am. Usually because I overbought…. veggies. This is a grand recipe and one I will use.

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:07 am #

I know what you mean. We have a compost but I would still rather use it, than throw it in the compost bin. Thanks Deb! Hope you’re surviving the fires out there.

11. Kelly Mulcair October 12, 2017 at 5:46 pm #

Well I don’t think it can get much easier than that ;d so funny, I’ve been craving pickled veg like crazy lately?! (just devoured a large jar of pickled fire roasted red peppers). We eat olives like apples in this house — I’m overdo to try this delicious experiment!

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:06 am #

We go through a lot of olives ourselves, thus the Costco size jars. 🙂 It’s such a great way to use all that brine and you’ll love how the olive flavor penetrates the vegetable. It even makes raw zucchini taste delicious. 🙂

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 12, 2017 at 11:55 am #

I have to try this when I finish that huge jar of olives. A fantastic idea, MJ.

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:05 am #

Thanks Angie! Hope you like it. It’s good stuff!

13. Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) October 12, 2017 at 10:52 am #

Now why didn’t I think of that? 🙂

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:05 am #

I know! So simple right?

14. John/Kitchen Riffs October 12, 2017 at 10:47 am #

Genius. Pure genius. So simple and easy, too. Did I say this is genius? 🙂

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:04 am #

Yah…you did! 🙂 Thanks so much John!!!!! Sometimes it’s those simple ideas that escape us. 🙂

15. Abbe@This is How I Cook October 12, 2017 at 9:41 am #

Love this idea! I do it with pickle juice! Which reminds me I need to do this soon!

• mj October 13, 2017 at 10:04 am #

Thanks Abbe! When I do have pickle juice I use it, but we eat more olives than pickles and I just love how the olive flavor penetrates the vegetables.