Ideas for Your Cinco de Mayo Party

Spicy Cinco de Mayo recipes for your Cinco de Mayo Party #cincodemayo #chile #mexican @mjskitchen

Still working on your menu for Cinco de Mayo?  Hopefully, this list of Cinco de Mayo recipes will tempt you to add a couple more dishes.  The spiciness and the flavors in these recipes will have your guests dancing in the kitchen.

Breakfast

In the southwest U.S., migas is a breakfast dish made with scrambled egg, green chile and fried corn tortillasHuevos Rancheros with New Mexico Red chile sauce| mjskitchen.comA tortilla sandwich or quesadilla with scrambled egg and chile rellenoA bowl of grits with chipotle peppers and feta cheese

Migas (Scrambled Eggs with Green Chile and Tortillas)

Huevos Rancheros

Chile Relleno Quesadilla

Grits with Chipotle and Feta Cheese

Starters

Pico de Gallo with pickled peppers and chipotle flakes | mjskitchen.com #salsaSalsa made with fresh tomatillo and New Mexico Green chileSweet and spicy pepitas (pumpkin seeds)| mjskitchen.comA tomato based salsa made with chile de arbol peppers

Pico de Gallo with Pickled Peppers and Chipotle

Green Chile Tomatillo Salsa

Sweet and Spicy Pepitas

Chile de Arbol Salsa

Enchiladas

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - Restaurant Style |mjskitchen.comNew Mexico Red Chile Enchiladas - Restaurant Style| mjskitchen.comRestaurant style enchiladas with beef, chorizo and red chile sauce mjskitchen.comGreen Chile Enchiladas with squash and corn| mjskitchen.com

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

New Mexico Red Chile Enchiladas

Beef and Chorizo Enchiladas

Calabacitas Enchiladas

Main Dishes with Meat

Chicken Mole' - Chicken smothered in a New Mexico red mole' sauce #mole #chicken #recipe | mjskitchen.comThis red chile chicken tamale is a non-traditional tamale that is easy to make and is just as tasty as a traditionally made tamale. mjskitchen.comNew Mexico style carne adovada or pork marinated and slow-cooked in red chile | mjskitchenA deliciously healhty meal with chicken and vegetables smothered in a chile de arbol pecan sauce. @MJsKitchen mjskitchen.com

Chicken Mole (New Mexico Red Mole)

Red Chile Chicken Tamales

Carne Adovada

Chicken and Vegetables with Chile de Arbol Pipián

Vegetarian Mains

A vegetarian burrito with pinto beans and seared peppers and onions, smothered in New Mexico red chile sauce | mjskitchen.comBlack beans cooked with a deconstructed black mole | mjskitchen.comBlack Bean Chipotle Tamales with spicy mango sauce #vegan| mjskitchen.comGreen chile stacked with crepes (Pathiri), pine nuts (pinon) and queso fresco. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

Fajita-Style Bean Burritos

Black Bean Mock Mole

Black Bean Tamales with Spicy Mango Sauce

Crepes with Green Chile, Pinon and Queso Fresco

Tacos and Tostadas

Vegetarian tacos with portobello, summer squash and a red chile-yogurt sauce. mjskitchen.comTasty tacos with chicken, cheese and green chile corn relish | mjskitchen.comTostada with sausage, egg, chile and fetaTostado with black beans, cheese and salsa | mjskitchen.com

Grilled Portabello Tacos with Red Chile-Yogurt Sauce

Chicken Tacos with Green Chile Corn Relish

Tostada with Egg, Sausage, Green Chile and Cheese

Bean Tostada (Black bean, Pinto beans or Bolita Beans)

Soups and Stews

A bowl of green chile stew with sirloinGreen chile chicken soup with mushrooms and corn mjskitchen.comChowder made with New Mexico green chile, squash and sweet cornA hearty soup with chorizo, hominy (posole), mushrooms and Swiss chard. mjskitchen.com

New Mexico Green Chile Stew

Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup

Calabacitas Chowder

Posole with Mexican Chorizo and Mushrooms

Vegetable Sides

A bowl of calabacitas (squash, green chile, and corn)Pressure-cooked black beans | mjskitchen.comA spicy and juicy grilled corn with a drizzle of olive oil and some red chile spice mix @mjskitchen #corn #red #chileA simple side dish of sauteed summer squash with roasted red peppers | mjskitchen.com

Calabacitas (Squash, Corn, Chile)

Spicy Black Beans

Grilled Corn with Red Chile Spice

Yellow Squash with Red Chile Peppers

Desserts and Sweets

A chocolate pudding seasoned with red chile powder, cinnamon and gingerChocolate shots with ginger, chile, and Baileys Irish Cream mjskitchen.comTomato jam with 4 ingredients - tomato, red chile, sugar, lemon juice @mjskitchen #jam #tomato #red #chileRaspberry Mole' Jam made with spice, red chile and a touch of cocoa. mjskitchen.com

Chocolate Pudding, New Mexico Style

Fiery Chocolate Shots

Tomato Red Chile Jam

Raspberry Mole Jam

Parting Shot

In April, Bobby and I did a road trip exploring SE Arizona.  One of the areas that we explored was the San Pedro River valley near Sierra Vista, AZ.  In a few of my next posts, I will be sharing some of the scenery and food that we experienced.  Since Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican celebration, I’m leaving you with shot looking back at the mountains just across the Arizona border into the Sonora State of Mexico.  These mountains are the headwaters of the San Pedro River, a river that flows north from Mexico and into the Gila River north of Tucson, AZ.

These mountains are the headwaters of the San Pedro River that flows from Mexico, north into the Gila. @mjskitchen

Tags:

27 Responses to “Ideas for Your Cinco de Mayo Party”

1. Ritu Ahuja May 7, 2017 at 10:20 am #

Awesome collection of recipes. Love to try all of them. Everything looks yummy. Looking forward to see your pics from Arizona. 🙂

• mj May 7, 2017 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks so much Ritu!

2. Sissi May 4, 2017 at 9:35 am #

All those dishes look so delicious…. I can imagine not leaving the table for the whole day and half of the night! Luckily I don’t celebrate cinco de mayo and don’t have to choose from all those delicious dishes because I would be in trouble… I would want to cook at least 70% of all that!
    I hope you have had a wonderful time and am looking forward to seeing more of your holiday photographs (I’m sure you have taken wonderful ones!).

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

Thanks Sissi! Thank goodness I make NM cuisine all of the time, so when Cinco de Mayo comes up, I don’t have to go overboard, except if we have a party. 🙂

3. Evelyne CulturEatz May 4, 2017 at 9:35 am #

Well if I was doing a CInquo de Mayo meal (sorry I am not lol) you would definitely be my go to source, you have so many amazing and perfect recipes for it! Cannot wait to see more Arizona pics!

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks so much Evelyne!

4. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 4, 2017 at 7:15 am #

wow..that’s an impressive collection of recipes for Cinco de Mayo! Excellent work, MJ.

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks Angie!

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 4, 2017 at 2:57 am #

Next year I’m going to plan a Cinco de Mayo party. It will be Saturday night and I’ve saved all the recipes I want to serve at my party. If I start planning now, I just might be ready by next year. 🙂

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:15 pm #

Oh that’s right! Cinco de Mayo will be on Saturday night! YAY! I hope you do remember this post. Keep in handy. And yes, it might take you a year just to get all of the ingredients. 🙂 Thanks Maureen!

6. IFortuna May 4, 2017 at 1:08 am #

I spent a few years in NM and I really love the food. It is very different from our families Mexican food. Hubby does not like his hot. Not all Mexicans do. I make our enchilada sauce and he refuses to eat enchiladas out. I have to make at least 18 to 24 at a time and he will only share a couple with me LOL.
    I am fortunate that he loves my cooking.
    I like your recipe for enchilada sauce but I will never be able to make it (sigh). You
    do have many recipes I would love to try though and I am sure they will be a hit. Thanks.

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

We are so fortunate when our husbands love our cooking! 🙂 Thanks so much for your nice comments and hope you do find some recipes that both you and your husband can enjoy.

7. Deb|EastofEdenCooking May 3, 2017 at 2:27 pm #

We are going out to dinner this Friday but that Chocolate Pudding deserves to be made this weekend!

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:13 pm #

Are you eating Mexican on Friday? I’m sure where you are that there are lots of great Mexican restaurants. That should be fun! The pudding is the husband’s favorite!

8. Debra Eliotseats May 3, 2017 at 9:48 am #

Great ideas and great shot from your trip. Can’t wait to hear about it.

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:12 pm #

Thanks Debra!

9. Liz May 3, 2017 at 8:23 am #

I knew you’d be my go-to source for Cinco de Mayo! I’m going to start at the desserts and make my way up!

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

You’re my kind of lady Liz! I love starting with dessert. 🙂

10. Jan Cook May 3, 2017 at 8:01 am #

If you had a restaurant it would be hard to pick! Everything looks so tasty for a Cinco de Mayo feast! Look forward to your pics from Arizona.

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

Thanks Jan! Now I have to pick out a couple for tomorrow. 🙂

11. Healthy World Cuisine May 3, 2017 at 6:44 am #

Love this MJ! Just one stop shopping right here in your site for everything you may possibly ever want to make for a delicious Cinco De Mayo feast. We have our eyes on the tamales!!! Sharing of course!

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks so much! I love tamales and love making them as well. They aren’t as hard as some people think, especially when you cheat and use my method. 🙂

12. John/Kitchen Riffs May 2, 2017 at 9:25 pm #

Terrific collection of recipes! Everything one needs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And snacks. 🙂 Can’t wait to hear more about your trip!

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks John! I hope I can get the trip posts together. We did so many things and took so many pics. You know how that is. 🙂

13. Abbe@This is How I Cook May 2, 2017 at 9:18 pm #

What a phenomenal collection of recipes. I will take one of each please. Can’t wait to spend a little while and peruse all of them. Sounds like a fun road trip and I loved that parting shot.

• mj May 4, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

Thanks so much Abbe! To be honest it was hard eliminating some links. WE love NM food. 🙂

1. Recipe ideas for your Cinco de Mayo Party - Yum Goggle - May 14, 2017