Arugula, Fresh Peas and Orange Salad

A simple salad with arugula, fresh peas, and orange #salad #arugula #sweetpea @mjskitchen.com

This simple spring salad with arugula, fresh peas and orange was inspired by Anne’s Lemon Tarragon Vinaigrette over at A Salad for All Season.  Anne recommended using the vinaigrette over a plate of greens or a side vegetable, so why not both in a salad.  The flavors in the vinaigrette are a nice complement to this light salad with arugula, fresh peas, and orange topped with toasted sunflower seeds.  (Yes, I forgot the sunflower seeds for the photos. Whoops!)

Its flavors and textures make this salad a nice side for just about any meal.  We’ve had it with lamb chops, spicy smoked short ribs, and a Fennel-spiced Ham and Mushroom Pasta. It was a great complement for each of these entrees.

Just a note about the fresh peas … A favorite spring vegetables of mine is the sugar snap pea.  Whenever I see sugar snaps at the market, I pick through them to get the snaps with the largest peas.  Once home, we shuck them, and what peas we don’t eat right away, get added to many of our salads.  They add a wonderful texture and a little sweetness in every bite.

A simple salad with arugula, fresh peas, and orange | mjskitchen.com

If you have enjoyed this arugula, fresh pea, and orange salad, then you’ll probably like these other spring salads.

Asparagus Salad with a Preserved lemon Garlic Salad dressing mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

Lemon Garlic Asparagus Salad

Strawberry Coconut Salad with Pine nuts | mjskitchen.com

Strawberry, Coconut Salad with Pinon

Salad with mango, pickled cucumbers and bell peppers |mjskitchen.com

Mango and Jicama Salad

Tags: , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Arugula, Fresh Peas and Orange Salad”

1. Healthy World Cuisine June 6, 2017 at 8:07 pm #

Love your dressing! We need more tarragon in our recipes. Love its bright and fresh taste.

2. Raymund June 6, 2017 at 5:47 am #

Such a nice and fresh salad! I love fruits on my leafy greens, it gives it a lot of life

• mj June 6, 2017 at 9:27 am #

Totally agree Raymund. Thanks!

3. Katerina June 5, 2017 at 3:57 am #

What an unusual pair of ingredients but then again beauty can hide in the most unusual places!

• mj June 6, 2017 at 9:27 am #

Thanks so much Katerina!

4. Andy Gibbs June 4, 2017 at 12:27 am #

Hi MJ.

I found this article quite interesting though conflicting. I have always loved my aragula on pizza btw is hunter leaves the same as aragula?. Where i am conflicted is in the use of orange and aragula.Not your fault, its my issue because i cannot imagine the two going together. Having said so i will try it out to see for myself the flavor profile BTW are you a follower on things related to which cookware cooks which food best?

• mj June 6, 2017 at 9:27 am #

Thanks Andy for your comment. Yes, arugula and orange are great complements to each other. You have the pepper bite of the arugula and the sweet acidic from the orange component. It works and I hope you give it a try. I too love arugula on pizza! Again, you have that acidic sweetness from the tomato sauce to complement it. 🙂 No, I am not a follower on cookware.

5. Evelyne CulturEatz June 2, 2017 at 2:40 pm #

Oh what a lovely and unusualy salad. I never would have thought to pair fresh peas and oranges. Thanks for the inspiration. Fresh peas are the best.

• mj June 6, 2017 at 9:24 am #

Thank Evelyne! Who doesn’t love fresh peas? 🙂

6. Sissi June 2, 2017 at 7:01 am #

The vinaigrette sounds wonderful and the salad is beautiful, as always! I think I never use herbs in my vinaigrettes…. though I do throw them into salads, of course! You have reminded me I wanted to grow tarragon on my balcony this year… I think I’ll have to buy a potted plant now, but maybe it’s perennial…. Thank you once more for inspiration!

• mj June 2, 2017 at 8:48 am #

Thanks Sissi! Yes, tarragon is a perennial. I’ve had my plant in a pot for over 5 years and it survives outside during the winter. Just be sure to get the French tarragon. About 20 years ago when we lived in the our other house, I bought Mexican tarragon. It tastes the same and looks the same when small, but it grows like a weed and it’s huge! Our tarragon stalks where over 4 feet tall! We had enough tarragon to supply the city of Albuquerque. 🙂

• Sissi June 9, 2017 at 11:11 am #

Thank you! Following your tip yesterday I went to a gardening shop and bout a beautiful pot with tarragon. Parsley, mint and chives survive winters on our balcony (and grow until November), so I hope tarragon will behave in a similar way. The pot is so crowded (as always), I’ll have four or five plants when I divide them this weekend! (Here strangely they sell either French or Russian tarragon ; for me they look both the same… but maybe the taste is different…. I’ve never seen Mexican tarragon though, I think).

• mj June 12, 2017 at 8:47 pm #

That’s so cool!!! I hope you enjoy tarragon year round! It dries very easily and maintains it’s flavor in the dried state. YAY!

7. Adina June 1, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

I love fresh peas too but they are not so easy to get. This salad looks wonderful, all ingredients I especially like, I will keep it in mind for the next time I get fresh peas.

• mj June 2, 2017 at 8:41 am #

Thanks Adina! Yeh, I can only find fresh peas in the spring, so I grab them when I see them. 🙂

8. Karen (Back Road Journal) May 31, 2017 at 1:07 pm #

I had a fresh pea salad when we were in Atlanta so I can being to imagine how good this was is with the oranges added to it.

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:34 pm #

Thanks so much Karen! I love the sweetness and crunch of fresh!

9. Deb|EastofEdenCooking May 31, 2017 at 7:57 am #

My little tarragon plant is ready for a trim and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with this lush vinaigrette! Scaling the recipe for two is genius!

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks Deb! I have to scale a lot of recipes to two since there has always been just the two of us. It have gotten quite easy over the years, especially salad dressings. This is a great use for tarragon!

10. Judy Purcell May 31, 2017 at 6:34 am #

Lighter and brighter is what we long for when spring begins to yield to summer ~ this would be just the right side for a grilled steak!

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

Perfect! A grilled steak and this salad – YUM! Thanks Judy!

11. Debra Eliotseats May 31, 2017 at 6:24 am #

Love the combination of flavors and colors here, M.J. I have some arugula left over from my last recipe. NEED to make this.

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

Thanks Debra! Hope you enjoy! I love arugula salads! Sounds like you do too. 🙂

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 31, 2017 at 6:11 am #

So beautifully plated, MJ. I love salads all year round, this one looks so springy and delicious.

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm #

Thanks Angie!

13. Amy (Savory Moments) May 31, 2017 at 5:48 am #

This is such a lovely and fresh spring salad!

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm #

Thanks Amy!

14. Anna Johnston May 30, 2017 at 9:01 pm #

Yum, this looks super healthy as well as being tasty. Liking the maple syrup addition to the vinaigrette too.

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:26 pm #

Thanks so much Anna! I love a little sweetener in my vinaigrette to balance the acidity. Honey and maple syrup are my two favorites.

15. John/Kitchen Riffs May 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm #

That’s spring on a plate! Lovely combo of flavors, textures, and colors. This is gorgeous! And I’ll bet it tastes really, really good. 🙂 Inspired stuff — thanks.

• mj May 31, 2017 at 3:25 pm #

Thanks so much John! It’s one of those salads that Bobby and I can’t seem to get enough of. 🙂