Fried Green Tomato Tacos

Fried green tomato tacos with cabbage slaw, pickled peppers, and remoulade sauce #tacos #vegetarian @mjskitchen

Recently Bobby and I did a road trip through the coastal southern U.S. heading down to the Louisiana coast and ending up on St. George Island, Florida.  As always we ate only at local restaurants and as expected, Bobby always found the best of the best.  For lunch one day we stopped at a little place in Pascagoula, Mississippi, called Jack’s by the Tracks – “a Southern-Sushi-Juke-Joint-Fish-Taqueria-Neighborhood-Pub-Deli”. After pursuing the diverse menu, we both settled in on the tacos.  Bobby got the Shrimp Tacos and I went for the Veggie Taco with bacon. 🙂  The veggie tacos were fried green tomato tacos that were superb! Right then and there I knew I would have to give them a try at home.  And luckily…

Because we had such a long fall this year, there were still lots of tomatoes on the plants when we got home Thanksgiving week.  Most of them were the small unripened green zebra heirlooms, that were green, tart, and firm – perfect for fried green tomato tacos.  In creating my own version of fried green tomato tacos, I used Jack’s as a guide, but made some major changes in an effort to simplify while maintaining the many layers of flavor and texture.  Jack’s tacos consisted of “sauteed peppers, onions & tomatoes w/ corn-jalapeno relish, mixed greens and house-made remoulade.” I kept the remoulade, but went astray after that; however, we still ended up with fantastic fried green tomato tacos that would delight even the most dedicated carnivore.  The tacos you see here consist of fried green tomato wedges, remoulade, a simple cabbage slaw, pickled peppers, and bacon, if desired.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Vegetarian and Vegan options can be found in the Kitchen Notes.

Fried green tomato tacos with cabbage slaw, pickled peppers, and remoulade sauce #tacos #vegetarian #greentomatoes @mjskitchen

Unripe green zebra heirloom tomatoes, used for fried green tomato tacos | mjskitchen.comFor the following recipe I used fully green, firm Green Zebra heirlooms. (Green Zebras turn yellow as they ripen.) Each tomato was between 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. The smaller tomatoes were cut lengthwise into 6 wedges. The larger tomatoes were cut into 8 wedges.

The Tomatoes – The tomatoes need to be green and firm.  If they show any signs of ripening, they will not hold up well to the frying process, nor will they provide the tartness of a green tomato.  Firm, dark green tomatillos can be used as a substitute for green tomatoes.

Pickled Peppers – Any type of hot pickled peppers, like pickled jalapeno work just fine.  You could also make and use these spiced pickled peppers. If you don’t have pickled peppers, then substitute with thinly sliced, hot raw pepper like jalapeno or serrano, or a milder poblano.  You could also used roasted green chile.

Green Spice Mix – For the spice mix used in the cornmeal, you can substitute garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, and green or red chile powder.

Vegetarian Option – Omit the bacon. A little bit of a smoked cheese could be use as a substitute.

Vegan Option – Replace the mayonnaise in the remoulade with a vegan substitute.  Replace the buttermilk used in the egg mixture for the fried green tomatoes with coconut milk or coconut cream.

If you enjoy these Fried Green Tomato Tacos, then you might also enjoy these other tasty tacos.

Chicken Tacos with Green Chile Corn Relish

Grilled Portabello Mushrooms and a Red chile yogurt sauce

Tags: , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Fried Green Tomato Tacos”

1. Raymund December 19, 2016 at 1:51 am #

Never had I thought of using fried green tomatoes on tacos! Great idea

• mj December 21, 2016 at 9:54 am #

Thank Raymund! They are REALLY good. 🙂

2. Liz December 12, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

Now these are a veggie taco that I know I’d adore! An unusual, yet yummy filling!!!

• mj December 13, 2016 at 9:16 am #

I thought using fried green tomatoes was unusual as well, but it works! Thanks Liz!

3. cakespy December 12, 2016 at 5:22 am #

I split my time between the southeast and southwest USA. This recipe is like fusion of my two homes! LOL! I love this recipe. <3

• mj December 13, 2016 at 9:14 am #

Agreed! Aren’t fusions great and fusions between the south and the south west are my favorites! Thanks for stopping by!

4. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today December 12, 2016 at 2:24 am #

I’d love to make a trip like it. Sounds great. Traveling is so inspiring, especially food wise 🙂

• mj December 13, 2016 at 9:12 am #

Totally agree Marta! My husband is one of those that equate the two equally. 🙂

5. Hotly Spiced December 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm #

I’ve never had a fried green tomato taco! Your presentation is wonderful – these look fabulous. I’m not sure if we can buy those green tomatoes here but I’ll look out for them xx

• mj December 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks so much Charlie! I had never had them before until a couple of months ago and now I’m hooked. They are fantastic!

6. Ali December 10, 2016 at 10:28 am #

These look delicious MJ 🙂

I haven’t said hello in far too long, I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year early. My kiddos Jack and Violet are getting so big now, and I wanted to thank you for all the nice comments you had whenever I posted pictures of my kids at my former / current blogs over the years. That was very special and appreciated.

I’m going to catch up on your posts now and see what you have been up to. Wishing you the very best <3

• mj December 11, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

Hey Stranger! Thanks so much for your kind comments! I’ve missed you. I need to stop by and see how much the kids have grown. They grow so fast. Thanks for stopping by!!!

7. Bam's Kitchen December 9, 2016 at 7:05 pm #

These little treats are over the top! A fun taco bar is perfect for entertaining. I have not made fried green tomatoes in ages. Love this recipe! Sharing, of course!

• mj December 11, 2016 at 9:30 pm #

Thanks so much Bobbi! I agree…taco bars are fun!

8. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles December 9, 2016 at 6:58 pm #

Dining at the local joints is a highlight for us too when travelling… part of it is the food (of course) but I love feeling all the feels too – the patrons, the setting, the vibe. You can learn a lot by spending a short amount of time at the local establishments. And it sounds like you landed on a beaut for this inspiration. Your tacos look incredible (and so sunny on this cold winter’ish day…) – I just discovered green zebra tomatoes this summer – picked them up from an heirloom grower; they were so pretty I almost didn’t want to eat them (but did promptly feature them on my instagram :d). How great that you grow your own. Hoping to be around a little more this summer to get our tomato game on again. Beautiful recipe and idea MJ.

• mj December 11, 2016 at 9:29 pm #

When in Rome…! We love hanging out in local joints; however, I have to admit that there was one we went to that I couldn’t wait to get out of. Just must have been there at the wrong time. Every place else we went were great, including the roadside fish wagon where we could but fresh shrimp and grouper.

Any green tomato works for these tacos, but the green zebra were extra special. When they are unripe, they are extra tart which is perfect for friend green tomatoes. If you ever gt a chance to grow them, you should. Along with purple Cherokees, they are our favorites.

9. Velva-Tomatoes on the Vine December 8, 2016 at 5:05 pm #

You were traveling in my neck of the woods. These southern tacos look fabulous. I can see why you enjoyed them so much.

Eating at local restaurants while traveling is the best way to discover the local culture. Love it,

Thanks for sharing.

Velva

• mj December 8, 2016 at 7:47 pm #

Thanks so much Velva! My husband and I definitely believe “When in Rome…” 🙂 We don’t eat at chains here, so why should we when we travel. Finding Jack’s was a wonderful treat. Wish we could have gone back. But since we can’t, I’ll always think of it when we eat these tacos. 🙂

10. ChgoJohn December 7, 2016 at 11:51 pm #

My tomato plants did so poorly this year that I was lucky to pick any red ones. let alone have green ones at season’s end. I had considered buying some at the farmers market to make relish but, well, that never happened. Had I known this recipe was coming, I surely would have bought some. Your recipe sounds very good, MJ. If I come across some green tomatoes, you can bet I’ll be making tacos. Thanks!

• mj December 8, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

Bummer John! It was a weird year for tomatoes here as well. We almost lost our plants in July, but by babying them every day, we ended up with a great fall crop that latest through Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful treat. I don’t see people selling green tomatoes much here, so it’s nice to grow my own. Hope you do get to make these tacos next time you come across some green tomatoes.

11. Tamara December 7, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

Wow MJ! These fried green tacos look superb! One year (in Las Cruces) I had no tomatoes that ripened but buckets of green… I wish I’d had this recipe then. I love these Green Zebra Tomatoes! I’m always one to enjoy a veggie based dish, and I will definitely try these… We do get some lovely tomatoes in south Texas!

• mj December 8, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

Thanks so much Tamara! I bet you do get a lot of tomatoes for a long time down there in south Texas. We were in Houston the first of November and I could believe how warm and green it still was. Lots of fresh, local produce still being sold at the markets. So jealous! Hope you get to try these. They are really good! 🙂

12. Abbe@This is How I Cook December 7, 2016 at 2:50 pm #

Wow! Love recipes like this! Can’t wait to find some green zeebs because this sounds fabulous. Pinning and hopefully eating soon!

• mj December 7, 2016 at 8:19 pm #

thanks Abbe! You don’t need to use green zebras. Any green tomato will work!

13. Yi @ Yi Reservation December 7, 2016 at 2:45 pm #

I am also down for a tasty vegetarian meal and I am sure my pescetarian wife would love to try a fried green tomato taco. That sauce sounds truly amazing and I can’t wait to make it. Thanks for sharing the recipe and your wonderful road trip!

• mj December 7, 2016 at 8:18 pm #

Thanks so much Yi! I hope you get a chance to make these. They are really yummy!

14. Sissi December 7, 2016 at 5:09 am #

I missed so much your gorgeous-looking fiery treats! I have never tasted fried green tomatoes though I have several recipes I have been meaning to try (now I now where to look for the best one!). I have always assumed the green tomatoes were the unripe ones (I pickle them and they are delicious), but I am sure these ripe ones are a better option. Theses tacos look amazing.

Of course, I couldn’t hope for tomatoes or other warm temperature loving plants, but when I came back from holidays I found still some ripening chile on my balcony while both coriander and especially celery thrive in this chilly weather. I was really surprised (it’s the first time I grow celery on my balcony and I love it).

• mj December 7, 2016 at 10:07 am #

Welcome back Sissi! Have you been on an extended vacation or just time off the computer? It’s good to see you back as always. The tomatoes are actually green UNripe tomatoes. However, with the Green Zebras it’s hard to tell. If there is no “yellowing” to the skin and the tomatoes are hard, then they are unripe and perfect for frying. Once they start to ripening, the frying just softens them up and they get mushy. Using unripe tomatoes yields a fried green tomato crispy on the outside and tart and somewhat firm in the center. So good and great for tacos! 🙂
      Isn’t it nice to come home from vacation and still have produce?! During our vacation, a friend took care of the house, garden and cat so she was rewarded with lots of garden produce, but we had so many tomatoes, that there were still a lot of green ones left. It was perfect for these tacos. Unfortunately, everything is gone now and winter has moved in. I’m already looking forward to spring. 🙂

15. Lisa Gonzales December 6, 2016 at 8:00 pm #

Sorry, but Jacks by the Tracks is from the place I went to high school, Pascagoula, Mississippi, NOT Florida. I actually grew up in a small, no-account town near there, but thought I should speak up. Mississippi ain’t Florida, just sayin….

• mj December 6, 2016 at 10:59 pm #

Lisa, Thank you so much for the correction! I’ve corrected it in my post. All of that area was new to us and we drove 3500 miles on the trip (from NM to Florida and back), so I obviously got my states mixed up. I greatly appreciate your speaking up. Based on your comment, can I assume that the area isn’t one of your favorite places. 🙂 Thanks again.

16. Deb|EastofEdenCooking December 6, 2016 at 1:44 pm #

Oh wow! Veggie tacos (without bacon!) can be so boring. You have taken a mundane taco and transformed it!

• mj December 7, 2016 at 10:02 am #

Oh these are definitely not mundane even without the bacon. Hope you get to try them. Thanks for your comments!

17. Evelyne CulturEatz December 6, 2016 at 9:54 am #

Great job recreating that dish and with your own twists. I have a hankering for fried green tomatoes now.

• mj December 7, 2016 at 10:02 am #

Thanks so much Evelyne!

18. Angie@Angie's Recipes December 6, 2016 at 9:44 am #

Those green zebra heirlooms look so GOOD! Your tacos look sensational, MJ.

• mj December 7, 2016 at 10:01 am #

Thanks Angie! Have you ever had a green zebra? They are one of our favorite homegrown tomatoes. Tart and firm. And when they are unripe, they are excellent fried. 🙂

19. Balvinder December 6, 2016 at 9:35 am #

What a great idea! I hardly ever eat fried things, but I think I will try this, since I love tacos.

• mj December 7, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Thanks so much Balvinder! We only eat two things fried – green tomatoes and catfish. We have both of them twice a year, so it’s always a real treat. It was so good coming home to some green tomatoes, because I wasn’t able to make them this year until now.

20. John/Kitchen Riffs December 6, 2016 at 9:01 am #

Optional bacon? I don’t think so! Gotta have it! This is a genius dish — such a neat way to use fried green tomatoes. Really excellent — thanks.

• mj December 7, 2016 at 9:58 am #

Yeh…I know. Who would make bacon optional? 🙂 Thanks so much John! Hope you get to try these. I know how you like fried green tomatoes.

21. Karen (Back Road Journal) December 6, 2016 at 6:47 am #

What an interesting option for tacos…I know I would enjoy them.

• mj December 7, 2016 at 9:57 am #