Collection of Sweet and Savory Apple Recipes

A scrumptious collection of sweet and savory apple recipes #apples #savory #recipes #sweet @mjskitchen

This year’s apple crop is in and it’s so nice to finally bite into a fresh crisp apple again.  Because it is the best time of the year to buy apples and there are so many ways to enjoy them, I put together a Collection of Sweet & Savory Apple Recipes for you.

All of the recipes from MJ’s Kitchen are tried and true dishes that we make at least once during the fall.  Several of them, like the steel cuts, crepes, snack and slaw, we make year round.  The recipes from other websites have all been tried and thoroughly enjoyed, with one exception – the chimichangas.  I keep drooling over them but haven’t made them yet.

I hope you enjoy these sweet and savory apple recipes as much as we do.

Breakfast with Apples

Crepes stuffed with cheddar cheese and topped with apples and maple syrup

Apple Pecan Crepes with Cheddar Cheese

A quick & easy breakfast of spiced apples, granola, and creme fraiche | mjskitchen.com

Quick & Easy Spiced Apple Breakfast

Fluffy pancakes with apples, pecans and a touch of cardamom | mjskitchen.com

Apple Pecan Buttermilk Pancakes

Steel Cut Oatmeal with apples, cranberries, and walnuts

Steel Cut Oats with Apples, Cranberries and Walnuts

Autumn Comfort Apple Cake from Inspired Edibles  (For breakfast, tea time or dessert)

Snacks with Apples

An easy snack made with apples, walnuts, raisins and cinnamon

A Simple Snack with Cinnamon Apples, Walnuts and Raisins

Cinnamon Spiced Applesauce from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Apples and Hummus

Apples and Cheese

Apples and Peanut butter

3 Minute Baked Apple from shenAnnagans

Starters and Sides with Apples

Apple, celery, and radish salad with a Green chile dressing. mjskitchen.com

Apple and Celery Salad with Green Chile Dressing

Slaw with apples, cabbage, carrots, toasted pecans seasoned with masala curry spice. mjskitchen.com

Apple, Carrot and Pecan Slaw with Curry Dressing

Roasted Butternut squash with apples, sage and Manchego cheese

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples with Manchego Cheese

Soups and Sandwich with Apples

A mildly spicy soup with butternut squash, apples and red chile powder

Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Red Chile

A robust pumpkin soup seasoned with sage and enhanced with apples and sausage for flavor and texture #soup #pumpkin mjskitchen.com

Sage Pumpkin Soup with Apples and Andouille

A Grilled Cheese with Apples and Gouda makes a great complement to each of these soups as well as many other types of soups.

Desserts with Apples

Ramekins with a pear apple cobbler

Pear Apple Cobbler

Apple pie with caramel sauce | mjskitchen.com

Caramel Apple Pie

Apple clafoutis is a light apple dessert with chopped apples and a semi-sweet custard | mjskitchen.com

Apple Clafoutis (Baked apples in egg custard)

This dish is just as good for breakfast as it is as a light dessert.

Cinnamon Apple Chimiganchas from Muchtaste

Cheddar and Herb Baked Apples from JJBegonia

Apple Pudding from Nisa Homey

What is your favorite sweet or savory apple recipe?

Tags:

40 Responses to “Collection of Sweet and Savory Apple Recipes”

1. Liz October 15, 2016 at 9:53 am #

The crepes and caramel apple pie are calling my name! What a perfect fall roundup!

2. Sissi September 29, 2016 at 3:03 pm #

It’s so weird I’ve missed this inspiring post! Please, forgive me! So many delicious-looking ideas… I wonder why I use apples so rarely in savoury recipes. I think I use them only in salads sometimes…. but I should more often in hot dishes too.
    I’m really late with chile preserves this year, so I haven’t thought of apples yet (even in daily cooking)…
    PSI’ve discovered I have the most fiery yellow long chile I know on my balcony (it’s hotter than bird’s-eye-chile!) and I wonder what variety I’ve planted (I dry store-bought chile and then think most of the seeds won’t sprout anyway, so I was really surprised to have so many fruits this year!).

• mj September 29, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi!!! I throw an apple in savory dishes quite often especially if the dish has a little bitterness to it. I could recommend all of this recipes, of course. 😉 A chance pepper hotter than bird’s-eye? Lucky you!! I love the way you “choose” your pepper plants. 🙂 I cheat and buy the plants. Have you heard of Baltimore Fish Peppers? I read about them the other day and they sound very interesting. They are an heirloom. Check them out.

• Sissi October 1, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

I’ve never heard about these. I’ll check them of course!
        You know, this year I’ve bought a “professionally planted” chile too and…. the chile I’ve sprouted from seeds not only grew quicker but it bears 3x or 4x more fruits! I didn’t expect much more than a few chile peppers, but I already have harvested ten yellow ones and there are at least twenty more green ones waiting on three small bushes. (They are still flowering too!) Incredible, isn’t it? I’m harvesting seeds from this one this year and will send you some if you want!

• mj October 1, 2016 at 9:09 pm #

Your chile plants are still flowering? Hopefully it will stay warm enough to get more. All our plants have stopped flowering so I’m just picking as things ripen. You know, I would love seeds, but, honestly, I probably won’t get around to growing my own starter plants. My sunroom is going to be taken up with a quilting frame this winter, so no room for starters. You are so sweet to offer!!

3. Platt College September 28, 2016 at 4:25 pm #

I love apples and these recipes look yummy!

• mj September 29, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks so much!

4. Raymund September 27, 2016 at 5:59 pm #

Such a nice round up, lucky me we have apples here all year round

• mj September 27, 2016 at 8:34 pm #

thanks Raymund!

5. Debra Eliotseats September 24, 2016 at 4:23 pm #

I need to make an orchard trip!

• mj September 25, 2016 at 10:42 am #

Yes you do!!! 🙂

6. Evelyne CulturEatz September 23, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

What a great recipe collection MJ! That reminds me I shoudl go apple picking! Argh to many plans lol. I do love pairing apples with cheese like you have done here a few times.

• mj September 25, 2016 at 10:41 am #

I know what you mean. Starting in August is get so busy with all of the fresh produce that I don’t have enough time to do everything I want to do. Hope you do find a few apples to make on of this dishes. They are all good. 🙂

7. Karen (Back Road Journal) September 23, 2016 at 7:08 am #

A really nice roundup of apple recipes, MJ and brought back nice memories of my life in New England. This is the time of year I’d be picking apples all day in our orchard when we lived in New Hampshire.

• mj September 23, 2016 at 10:33 am #

Thanks so much Karen! Oh, I bet you miss eating homegrown apples, but not the maintenance that goes with them. 🙂

8. Judy September 22, 2016 at 6:58 am #

Our tree is loaded this year! The deer get what’s on the ground and the birds feast on the top, so we are plucking them as fast as we can from the middle. Ha! Thanks for the tasty ideas to use them up. 🙂

• mj September 23, 2016 at 10:33 am #

Lucky you!!! I would love to have an apple tree! Thankfully we have some local small farms in the area that produce some great apples, and I’m happy to let them take care of the animals. 🙂 Hope you enjoy some of these tasty recipes with your home grown apples!

9. Ala September 21, 2016 at 1:58 pm #

The slaw and soup totally have my name written all over them! And I love how I was roaming through your breakfast selection without realizing until the end of your post that the dessert section was at the end 😉 that’s my kind of sweet brekkie!

• mj September 21, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

Thanks so much Ala! Yes, I do like a sweet breakfast once in a while. Grits is my favorites, but when there’s fresh fruit, breakfast moves toward the sweet side. 🙂

10. Bam's Kitchen September 21, 2016 at 11:41 am #

Perfect timing MJ! I just bought a huge basket of apples. So many options here I just can’t decide. Hope you are doing well.

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:39 pm #

Fantastic! I hope you find one you enjoy! Thanks!

11. Adina September 21, 2016 at 4:41 am #

What a delicious collection! There are several recipes I would love to try.

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:40 pm #

I hope you do give some of them a try. Thanks Adina!

12. ChgoJohn September 20, 2016 at 11:32 pm #

What a fantastic round-up, MJ! I do not like the idea of summer leaving but I sure do like the arrival of apples. This is my time of year and this post is my kind of post. Thanks for sharing so many great recipes.

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:39 pm #

Yep, it’s so sad when summer goes, but I do love the fall and fall produce. Thanks!

13. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 20, 2016 at 4:02 pm #

Bring me all dem apples 😀 tis the season and I’m loving it. That caramel apple pie with lattice crust MJ… very impressive! x

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

Thanks Kelly and thanks for your wonderful apple cake. I’m making it again this weekend for my dinner guests. 🙂

14. A_Boleyn September 20, 2016 at 11:10 am #

Great collection. Both the soups look tasty as the weather starts to cool down.

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

I love these soups! Thanks Ann!

15. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 20, 2016 at 9:07 am #

What an amazing collection of apple recipes!

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:37 pm #

Thanks Angie!

16. John/Kitchen Riffs September 20, 2016 at 8:15 am #

Love apple season! Fall apples taste SO much better than those cold storage one that you can buy in, say, May. 🙂 Great collection of goodness — thanks for taking the time to put these together. Lot of really good recipes here!

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:37 pm #

I’m with you John. I was so tired of eating tasteless mushy apples. A couple of weeks ago the coop had apples on sale and, when I asked, they told me they were last year’s apples. Needless to say I didn’t buy them no matter how cheap they were. 🙂 Thanks!

17. Deb|EastofEdenCooking September 20, 2016 at 8:11 am #

Yes fall has arrived! Just last week leaves began falling from the trees and the afternoon light has changed too. All this push into the new season has brought the new harvest of apples into the spotlight. Your round up has some very scrumptious recipes! I think apple pie will be this weekends baking project!

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

Speaking of light changing – that is one of the favorite things about our home. With so many windows and skylights, there is a noticeable change in light yearround and we love it! Thanks so much Deb!

18. April J Harris September 20, 2016 at 7:29 am #

This is such a lovely collection of apple recipes, perfect for fall! I hope you will share it with us at Hearth and Soul this week, MJ. Pinning, and I think I’ll make the Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples with Manchego Cheese first 🙂

• mj September 21, 2016 at 1:34 pm #

Thanks so much April! I will more than happy to post this to your blog hop next week. OHHHHH, the recipe you chose is so good! I was planning on making it again next week.

• April J Harris September 30, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Thank you for bringing this post to Hearth and Soul, MJ! I’m sharing it on our H&S Facebook page 🙂

• mj October 1, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

Thanks April! So glad you like the recipes!