Readers’ Favorites of Five Years

Readers' Favorites Recipes from MJ's Kitchen #chile #recipes @mjskitchen

It’s hard to believe that it’s been five years since I started MJ’s Kitchen.  Originally, I thought I would share some of my favorite recipes for a couple of years then move on.  However, once  I started, it was hard to stop. And why stop when I’m having so much fun!

A HUGE THANKS to all of my friends and visitors for your constant support, comments, emails, and for coming back for each new post to check out what’s new.  This week, instead of giving you a new recipe, I’m sharing some of your favorites.

The following recipes have been in the top 25 visited recipes for at least 2 of the last 5 years. The first five recipes made in into the top 15 most visited recipes each year for five years!  To be fair to 2015, I also included a few of last year’s favorites.

I’m sure you won’t be surprised to see that most of the recipes have either red or green chile. 🙂  However, a few recipes without chile made it into the list.  Hopefully, you’ll find a recipe or two that you haven’t seen before or had forgotten about.

New Mexico red chile ristras | mjskitchen.com

New Mexico Red Chile and Red Chile Sauce

A bowl of green chile stew with sirloin

New Mexico Green Chile Stew

New Mexico green chile

New Mexico Green Chile and Green Chile Sauce

Garlic roasted in olive oil yields a nice jar of garlic infused oil and a jar of tasty roasted garlic cloves. mjskitchen.com

Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil

Bowl of mushroom garlic soup

Mushroom Garlic Soup

New Mexico red and green chile peppers | mjskitchen.com

Red or Green?

Stacked New Mexico red chile enchiladas| mjskitchen.com

New Mexico Red Chile Enchiladas

Bowl of a quick and easy New Mexico green chile stew | mjskitchen.com

Quick & Easy Green Chile Stew

Calabacitas - A New Mexico dish with summer squash, corn and green chile

Calabacitas

Green Chile Enchiladas with squash and corn| mjskitchen.com

Calabacitas Enchiladas

New Mexico Red Chile Sauce made from chile powder mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

New Mexico Red Chile Sauce from Powder

A chile powder made from dried green chiles

Green Chile Powder and How to Use It

How to make pepper sauce with chile pequin

Chile Pequin Pepper Sauce

Green chile chicken soup with mushrooms and corn mjskitchen.com

Green Chile Chicken Mushroom Soup

Huevos Rancheros with New Mexico Red chile sauce| mjskitchen.com

Huevos Rancheros

A pot of steamed tamales

Corn, Mushroom, and Green Chile Tamales

A dip made with cream cheese and New Mexico green chile

Green Chile Pecan Cheese Spread

Homemade Mexican Chorizo

Mexican Chorizo – Make Your Own

New Mexico style carne adovada or pork marinated and slow-cooked in red chile | mjskitchen

New Mexico Carne Adovada

A quick and easy sweet and spicy chile sauce | mjskitchen.com

Thai Style Sweet Chile Sauce

A basket of organic, free range eggs

Eggs Over Easy

Pressure-cooked black beans | mjskitchen.com

Cooking Up a Pot of Black Beans

A bowl of pinto beans with an assortment of toppings

Time to Cook Up a Pot of Pinto Beans

Serving of chicken pot pie

Not My Aunt’s Chicken Pot Pie

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Steel Cut Oats for Breakfast

Swiss Chard Calzone

Swiss Chard Calzone

Baked Pork Chops brined in a coffee brine

Baked Pork Loin Chops

A jar of preserved lemons

Recipes Using Preserved Lemons

Grilled halibut smothered in mayonnaise

Our Favorite Grilled Halibut Recipe

A refreshing beverage made with hibiscus mint simple syrup and sparkling water mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

Hibiscus syrup, soda and tea

What’s one of your favorite recipes from MJ’ Kitchen?

45 Responses to “Readers’ Favorites of Five Years”

1. Anna @ shenANNAgans March 30, 2016 at 9:31 pm #

HAPPY, Happy HAPPY 5th blog-aversary MJ, I haven’t been following you for long, but I am rather pleased to have discovered you. Choosing a favourite is way too hard, I shall pin and get back to you. 🙂

• mj March 31, 2016 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks so much Anna! It’s fun following you as well. 🙂 Love your travels.

2. Liz March 7, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

Happy Anniversary to your wonderful blog, MJ! You are definitely my go-to spot for SW cooking! It’s been fun following you since almost the beginning 🙂

• mj March 10, 2016 at 8:16 pm #

We have been following each other for a long time, haven’t we? We need to get together and I you cook up some sweets that take the heat off after one of my chile recipes. 🙂 Thanks so much!

3. swathi March 7, 2016 at 11:16 am #

Mj I love your chilies posts, I am going to tweeting and pinning it for my future use.

• mj March 10, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

You’re a doll Swathi!!!

4. Debra March 5, 2016 at 6:05 pm #

I am pinning what I missed. I was wondering how long I had been reading your blog….Apparently, I missed a few! Happy blog-o-versary!

• mj March 10, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

Thanks Debra!

5. Viviane Bauquet Farre March 4, 2016 at 11:42 pm #

Five years! We’re lucky to have you, MJ. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll put out next. And glancing through the recipes, I had never read your mushroom/garlic soup recipe – it looks awesome! Here’s to another five…

• mj March 5, 2016 at 11:13 am #

What a nice thing to say Viviane! Thanks so much!

6. Sissi March 2, 2016 at 10:32 am #

Happy anniversary, dear MJ! You have been such an inspiration for me… and such a great friend the only thing about whom I always regret is the distance 🙁
    Thank you so much for reminding us all these fantastic recipes. Some of them are my favourites too. You have reminded me how excited I was to discover the red chile sauce… or to dry my green chile (have I told you I have finally managed??? it wasn’t easy though…). Thank you so much again for making me discover all this exotic world of luscious-looking dishes. Though some really intimidate me and I still have them on to do list, those I have tested were every time an extraordinary experience.

• mj March 5, 2016 at 11:12 am #

You are such a friend Sissi!!!! One of the greatest things about the past five years has been getting to know YOU and chatting with you about food which we both seem to like pretty much the same thing. 🙂 I too am sad about the distance. 🙁 Would love to spend some time in a coffee shop and a kitchen with you. Thank you for your kind words and your friendship!

7. Gourmet Getaways February 26, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

All the Mexican dishes would have to be my favourites!
    So yummy!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

• mj March 5, 2016 at 11:09 am #

Thanks so much Julie! These are actually mostly NEW Mexican dishes which are different from most Mexican dishes. New Mexico cuisine is definitely inspired by Mexico but with a few twists here and there and it’s own chile. 🙂

8. Katerina February 24, 2016 at 5:34 am #

Congratulations on your five year trip to the blogging sea! I found so many interesting local dishes in your site and you explain very thorough how to prepare and with what to substitute. I wish you many more years of sweet and savory creations and I will be there to enjoy!

• mj February 26, 2016 at 11:08 am #

thanks so much Katerina! I love the culinary contrast in our recipes due to our different cultures. We might have to start seeing a few fusion dishes in the years to come. 🙂

9. Bam's Kitchen February 24, 2016 at 5:27 am #

Congratulations on 5 year of blogging bliss.. I love all of your recipe however, one my family loves is your green chili chicken mushroom soup

• mj February 26, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Thanks so much Bobbi and so very glad that your family love the soup! We’re big fans of it ourselves. 🙂

10. Raymund February 23, 2016 at 11:20 pm #

Definitely a lot of my favourites on those list specailly that Huevos Rancheros

11. Abbe @ This is How I Cook February 23, 2016 at 8:11 pm #

Oh my! I don’t know where to start. These all look fabulous-but the most fabulous? The fact that you have shared these with us for 5 years! Thanks MJ!

• mj February 26, 2016 at 10:40 am #

Thanks Darlin!! 🙂

12. Evelyne Cultureatz February 23, 2016 at 3:15 pm #

Congrats and Happy 5th blog anniversary MJ, so happy to have discovered you and I would have trouble choosing a fave in those 25 listed!

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

Thank you so much Evelyne!

13. Zsuzsa February 23, 2016 at 9:36 am #

There are several things I found unique about your blogging style Peach Lady. One is that each post is a feast to the eye. The other thing is when you put up a recipe it is not just about that recipe. One can find techniques and easy references to other recipes. And last but not least is the care you present each dish. If I was a friend of chili, unfortunately my insides are not, I would be here every day. Yet I still I keep coming back to look at what you have been up to. This is a wonderful site.

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

Oh ZsuZsa – what kind words!!! Thanks you so much! After putting so much love into a recipe, you know how important it is to share it with just as much love. 🙂 Sorry your stomach can’t handle the chiles. Just hoping min hangs in there for a few more years. 🙂

14. Chgojohn February 23, 2016 at 7:54 am #

5 years, MJ? That’s a ton of chilies!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing so many wonderful recipes throughout those years. Wha I like most, however, is that you freely dispense so much chili-related information for us neophytes. You’re heaven sent! Cannot wait to see what you’ll share over the next 5 years. 🙂

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:31 pm #

And just think about all of the years prior to those 5 years in which I’ve been devouring chiles right and left. I’m just hoping my stomach never gives out. 🙂 So glad you’ve enjoy the information and thanks so much for your comments John!

15. Judy @Savoring Today February 23, 2016 at 7:19 am #

Five years?! Happy Blog-Anniversary! I certainly recognize a few of my favorites … glad to be blogging buddies MJ, I really enjoy your culinary perspective. 🙂

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks Judy and I too am glad to be blogging buddies and fellow chile lovers. 🙂

16. Adina February 23, 2016 at 2:20 am #

Congratulations on the five years. I am checking each one of those recipes: 🙂

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks Adina! I hope you enjoy what you see. 🙂

17. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 22, 2016 at 10:54 pm #

MJ, Congratulations!!!! And wow lots of chili recipes!!

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm #

There are a lot of chile recipes aren’t there? 🙂 It surprised me but definitely showed me what a lot of people are looking for. 🙂

18. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 22, 2016 at 3:24 pm #

Congratulations on five years of delivering bold, beautiful flavors delivered with style, class and humility – just a few of the qualities I appreciate most about the friendly Peach Lady behind MJ’s Kitchen. I also, by the way, love the family members you’ve introduced us to and their contributions are some of the most vivid in my memory — your sister Nadalyn’s sense of humour and the list of things you learned from your dear Mom… thank you MJ! Wishing you many more years of exploration and fun in the kitchen (and beyond), x.

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:27 pm #

Oh Kelly…you don’t know how much your words mean to me today. Thank you so much! I’m not quite sure what I’ll be cooking up over the next five years, but you can bet it’s still going to have chile. 🙂 xoxo

19. wok with ray February 22, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Wow five years. Congratulations MJ for the fun, and wonderful blog. Thank you for that five years of sharing your delicious recipes. I’m looking forward for more years of MJ’s Kitchen. 🙂

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks so much Ray! Thank you for all your kind words and hanging in there with me. 🙂

20. April J Harris February 22, 2016 at 12:29 pm #

Congratulations on 5 Years of Delicious Blogging, MJ! So many wonderful recipes, especially Not My Aunt’s Chicken Pot Pie and your lovely Grilled Halibut! Would love for you to share this celebration post with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop. It’s open now if you have time 🙂

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks so much April! I will be happy to share those recipes with you and your readers!

21. Deb|EastofEdenCooking February 22, 2016 at 12:21 pm #

MJ thank you for cultivating the flavors of New Mexico. Every post has me longing to visit again. Congrats on five years!

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

Deb, thank you so much for your nice comments! I do enjoy sharing the flavors of NM. If you ever return, please look me up!

22. Libby Kincheloe February 22, 2016 at 11:16 am #

Hooray for you on your tenacity…hooray for your lucky readers, too!

Being a NM chilehead, your recipes are some of the first that I search out.

Thanks! And, here’s to another five great years!

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:20 pm #

Oh Libby, thank you so much! It’s readers like you that keep me going. 🙂

23. John/Kitchen Riffs February 22, 2016 at 9:45 am #

Five years? Time flies! Congrats! Glad you’re still having fun — we’re all having a blast reading you! And your delish recipes. Good to see some old friends in this list. Really good stuff! Thanks.

• mj February 23, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

Yep, it’s amazing how time flies and I think it flies faster as we get older. 🙂 Thank you so much for the nice comments John!