Cara Cara Orange and Persimmon Salad

A simple salad of cara cara orange and persimmon | mjskitchen.com

Cara Cara oranges and Fuyu persimmon are my favorite winter fruits.  It was not until I had a flat of both sitting on the counter that I thought of putting them together in this simple salad.  If any two fruits below in the same bowl, it’s these two.  We have been eating this salad a couple of times a week since November.  By using different flavored sea salts, one can slightly alter the taste of the salad to best complement the meal and to provide a different finish.

This salad is the perfect salad for spicy food because it helps to calm the burn and cool the palate, getting it ready for another bite.  Serve with carne adovada, tamales, enchiladas, and smoked meats. It’s also a nice salad for non-spicy meals such as fried fish, soups or pasta.  When I serve it with a non-spicy meal, I sometimes use a spicy sea salt like Thai Sriracha.  See my Kitchen Notes for suggestions of sea salts.

One really doesn’t need an entree to serve this salad.  It makes a great lunch or light dinner.

A simple salad of cara cara orange and persimmon | mjskitchen.com

A simple salad of cara cara orange and persimmon | mjskitchen.com

Cara Cara Oranges – I recommend these because they are my favorite orange, consistently sweet and juicy.  However, you could use any sweet orange, tangerine, satsuma, or cutie.

Infused (Flavored) Sea Salt – Here is where you can really have fun with this salad.  Over the past year I have purchased a variety of sea salts from my favorite spice shop (Season With Spice).  The sea salts that I like best with this salad are Sichuan Pepper, Sweet Ginger, and Thai Sriracha.  With a variety of salts in your pantry it is easy to match a salt to the meal.

Roasted peanuts – The peanuts can be salted or unsalted.  If salted, just cut back on the amount of sea salt.

If you enjoyed this Cara Cara and Persimmon salad, here are some other citrus salads you might enjoy

Avocado, Orange, and Cucumber Salad

Sweet and Spicy Citrus Salad

Persimmon Carpaccio

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to “Cara Cara Orange and Persimmon Salad”

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 30, 2015 at 10:59 pm #

Wow, I’m so glad you shared this MJ! I love Cara Cara oranges!!!! Very special and we enjoy it when they are in season. And you pair up with persimmons? THAT IS SO COOL!!! Very simple, my kind of salad as we can enjoy the flavor of fruits, not covered by heavy dressing. Ok my mouth already reacted as I look at these beautifully taken photography…. 🙂

• mj February 1, 2015 at 11:54 am #

Thanks so much Nami!! I love Cara Cara season as well. Just picked up my third large bag. 🙂

2. swathi January 21, 2015 at 3:19 pm #

Orange persimon salad looks so colorful Mj, I am going to pin it. MJ I just added soaked chia seed to the smoothie.

• mj January 21, 2015 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks for the comment and the pin Swathi…and for the info on the smoothie. I figured that was what you did.

3. Deb|EastofEdenCooking January 21, 2015 at 11:49 am #

I love the simplicity of this luscious seasonal recipe. The oranges and persimmons have the opportunity to shine and grace us with all their fantastic flavor!

• mj January 21, 2015 at 7:56 pm #

Thanks Deb!

4. Terra January 20, 2015 at 10:00 pm #

This recipe sounds like a perfect flavor combination with the sweet and tart. It looks like a fun breakfast option, or a healthy side dish! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

• mj January 21, 2015 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks Terra! You’re right..breakfast, lunch, side dish…it’s all good!

5. Lady Lilith January 19, 2015 at 3:17 pm #

Sounds very refreshing.

• mj January 19, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

Thanks Lady Lilith!

6. Easyfoodsmith January 18, 2015 at 11:41 pm #

I just recently discovered persimmons via my local vendor. Though he called him by some other name but I am sure they are persimmons. I haven’t given them a try yet and I am excited to try your recipe. thanks for sharing 🙂

• mj January 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks Taruna! There are several types of persimmons. Some can be sliced and some are too mushy when ripe. Fuyu persimmon are the best for this recipe. How you can try some soon.

7. Sissi January 17, 2015 at 11:09 am #

Extraordinary salad, MJ! And the colours are lovely too. I have never used persimmon in the kitchen… here we are unlucky to get bland, horribly sweet persimmon from Spain (or maybe I was unlucky… but after several buys that ended up in the bin I gave up), but I’m sure even the oranges alone could make this salad fantastic. The idea to serve it with a spicy meal is great too. I should really use more fruits in savoury salads… Thank you so much for inspiration!

• mj January 18, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

Thanks so much Darlin! That’s sad that you can’t find good persimmon there. I can usually find excellent Fuyu persimmon but other types are hard to find. I love fruit in savory salads and can usually be found adding apple, pear, dried cranberries, orange or persimmon to salads. Fruits in salads are quite refreshing. and…you are always welcome!

8. Debra January 17, 2015 at 9:16 am #

I have never cooked with persimmons and I am know wondering if I have ever eaten one?

• mj January 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm #

They are really incredible fruits Debra.

9. Amy (Savory Moments) January 17, 2015 at 5:28 am #

This winter salad is so lovely, colorful, and healthy! I love persimmons!

• mj January 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm #

Thanks Amy!

10. Viviane Bauquet Farre January 16, 2015 at 7:36 pm #

What a fantastic combo! We all need a splash of color this time of year, and it sounds like the flavors here go perfectly together. Thanks, MJ!

• mj January 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm #

Thanks Viviane! Yes, a splash of color on the table is nice during the cool months of the year.

11. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 15, 2015 at 7:21 pm #

What a brilliant color to warm our winter days MJ. Yes, the touch of sweet is perfect for bringing down the fire. Lovely pairing with your NM chile dishes I’m thinking :D. We have a Hachiya persimmon tree in our backyard. Like many new discoveries, we had to learn about it… let’s just say that I will not be biting into an unripe Hachiya persimmon again (I actually thought I was going into anaphylactic shock! major tingling of the tongue). But the ripe Hachiya? Dreamy. Soft, creamy and gorgeously sweet — I made bread with it. Our 4 fruit harvest is now all done for the year 😉 but I’m hoping with a little TLC, we can do better next year. For this lovely salad, I would pair it with mandarin me thinks (gotta use up what you’ve got, right?).

• mj January 16, 2015 at 11:02 am #

Thanks so much Kelly! That’s funny about the unripe Hachiya because I had that same experience many years ago with one from my sister’s tree. YUCK! Unfortunately, I haven’t had the privilege of trying a ripe one. That’s a goal I’ll set for next year. Mandarin paired with fuyu persimmon – perfect!

12. Carol at Wild Goose Tea January 15, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

I don’t think I have had a persimmon let alone a flat of them. They are gorgeous
    with the orange. I am going to deliberately look for one at the grocery. I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay too old to be making that statement. Ha!

• mj January 16, 2015 at 10:56 am #

Oh…you’ve never had a persimmon!? Oh, they are SO good. I love the Fuyu persimmon which is what one more commonly finds because they can be sliced. There is also the hachiyu persimmon which is more elongated. It most be totally ripe and once ripe, it’s mushy so it works better in cakes, puddings, and breads. Good luck finding them at the grocer! 🙂

13. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 15, 2015 at 12:39 pm #

Simple yet very delicious, MJ. I love the salad and lighting of those photos.

• mj January 16, 2015 at 10:52 am #

Thanks so much Angie! Played around a little this time with the photos.

14. Raymund January 15, 2015 at 11:54 am #

What a very nice simple, light and fresh salad. Yum!

• mj January 16, 2015 at 10:41 am #

Thanks Raymund!

15. Dedy@Dentist Chef January 15, 2015 at 7:37 am #

Simply damn deliicous and refreshing!!!

• mj January 15, 2015 at 8:27 am #

You got that right! 🙂

16. Ramona January 14, 2015 at 4:20 pm #

Looks like a ray of sunshine in this cold! Looks yummy! 🙂

• mj January 15, 2015 at 8:27 am #

Definitely!

17. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz.com January 14, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

Cara cara are in my top fav citrus and I just adore persimmons too, what a great salad. Playing with salts sounds fun here.

• mj January 15, 2015 at 8:26 am #

Oh, playing with the salts is definitely fun! It’s amazing how much flavor just a little bit of infused salt can add to a dish. Have a great day Evelyne!

18. Shashi at Runninsrilankan January 14, 2015 at 11:25 am #

I love persimmons but would never have thought to combine them with oranges and peanuts! I had some extra spicy fish last night and I wish I had had some of this to go with it!

• mj January 15, 2015 at 8:25 am #

Thank you Shashi! You really should give this combination a try. It’s quite good!

19. Helene D'Souza January 14, 2015 at 7:10 am #

Oh I never thought of making a salad with fuyu persimmon. It looks so vibrant and refreshing, I can picture myself having your salad MJ while listening to the crickets in the evening. =)
    Or how about serving it with some enchiladas? Thanks for the cool recipe share MJ.

• mj January 15, 2015 at 8:23 am #

Thanks Helene! While you’re listening to the crickets, we’re listening to the cicadas. 🙂

20. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm #

I’ve never heard of a cara cara orange. Where have I been? I do know about persimmons and paired with a sweet orange in a salad sounds wonderful.

• mj January 13, 2015 at 8:42 pm #

Well you are missing out Maureen! Cara Cara’s are awesome! But don’t hesitate to use any sweet orange in this salad. Thanks!

21. John@Kitchen Riffs January 13, 2015 at 10:23 am #

I so enjoy citrus at this time of the year! Can’t get enough of it. Haven’t thought to combine it with persimmons in a salad though — really inspired idea. This looks terrific. And you’re right, it’s perfect with a spicy dish. Thanks for this.

• mj January 13, 2015 at 8:41 pm #

I’m with you John. There’s nothing like winter oranges. You really need to throw in some persimmon. thanks for your comment!

22. Diana January 13, 2015 at 10:03 am #

MJ, where can you get Fuyu Persimmons in Albuquerque? Thanks!

• mj January 13, 2015 at 10:07 am #

Diana, I get thm at Costco this time of year.

23. ray January 13, 2015 at 7:51 am #

I would really like this beautiful salad. A perfect match with the fried catfish you cooked for us before. That salad looks amazing, MJ. I hope you and Bobby are having a wonderful New Year! 🙂

• mj January 13, 2015 at 10:09 am #

Happy 2015 Ray! Oh it is a beautiful match with the fried catfish, especially with the spicy dipping sauce. 🙂 Thanks my friend and have a great week!

1. Roasted Fennel Salad with Cranberry Balsamic - MJ's Kitchen - December 1, 2015

[…] Orange and Persimmon Salad […]