A Collection of Kabocha Squash Recipes

A Collection of Kabocha Squash Recipes | mjskitchen.com

Kabocha Squash, also referred to as Japanese squash, is my favorite winter squash.  It is a touch sweeter than most winter squash, and to me, has a creamier texture, making it the perfect squash for a creamy winter soup.  It roasts beautifully, using the same method as you would a pumpkin or butternut squash, but it does have a couple of differences. First of all, it’s one hard squash to cut open.  You need a big knife and a strong arm.  Secondly, the peel is edible which, for some recipes, is a good thing since this a very difficult squash to peel.

In a recent search of Kabocha squash recipes, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of recipes I found. However, I was most surprised at the creativity of the recipes found.  So instead of keeping these finds to myself, I put together this collection of Kabocha squash recipes.  If you haven’t tried Kabocha before, then it’s time to head to the market and pick one up.  For those of you who already cook with Kabocha, I’m sure you’ll see at least one recipe that you’ll just have to try.

Kabocha Squash

Kabocha Squash and Long Beans in Coconut Milk @Wok with Ray

Kabocha Squash and Long Beans in Coconut Milk | wokwithray.com

Photo credit:  Wok With Ray

Kabocha and Kale Salad with Persimmon  @The Wimpy Vegetarian

Kabocha and Kale Salad with Persimmon | thewimpyvegetarian.com

Photo credit:  The Wimpy Vegetarian

Roasted Kabocha Squash and Eggplant Tacos with Poblano Crème  @Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen

Simmered Kabocha Squash in Shio Koj  @Just One Cookbook

Kabocha Squash and Coconut Pudding | savorymomentsblog.blogspot.com

Photo Credit:  Savory Moments

Kabocha Squash Cheesecake  @The Blenderist

Kabocha Squash Cheesecake | theblenderist.com

Photo credit:  The Blenderist

Sweet Kabocha Pudding @MJ’s Kitchen

Pudding made with kabocha squash

Photo credit: MJ’s Kitchen

Kabocha Tang Yuan and Sago in Pandan Coconut Milk – Daily Cooking Quest

Kabocha Squash Ice Cream with Maple Pecans @Cooking Channel tv

Breakfast Farro with Kabocha Squash and Coconut Milk @Fake Food Free

A few more Creative Kabocha Creations

Kabocha Sandwich Bread – Color Your Recipes

Atlantico Rum Kabocha Spiced Cocktail – About Food

Baked Kabocha Squash Chips @Veggies Don’t Bite

All images are posted with the permission of the image owners.  Please do not use any of these images without acquiring the permission of the rightful owner.

Tags:

40 Responses to “A Collection of Kabocha Squash Recipes”

1. Bam's Kitchen January 19, 2015 at 1:36 am #

Great round of up of dishes! I just adore kabocha squash and just looking at your list I have a lot more dishes to experiment with. Thanks so much for including me in your round up.

• mj January 19, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

Thanks so much Bam! There are a lot of great dishes in this list and it was a pleasure to add yours to the list.

2. Helene D'Souza November 10, 2014 at 4:20 am #

The squash fritters and bars caught my eye and imagination MJ. I don’t think so we get this squash here but who knows, the kabocha squash might just appear in our markets one day. MJ we have been getting Anjou pears and huge grapes from the US here. Not sure why because the US seems so far after all.

• mj November 10, 2014 at 8:15 am #

That’s interesting that you don’t get Kabocha. It’s actually an Asian variety of winter squash and is sometimes referred to as a Japanese pumpkin. Hopefully, it will migrate into your area someday. In the meantime, many of these recipes could be made using other types of winter squash, like the standard pumpkin or butternut. Hope you have a fabulous week!

3. Easyfoodsmith November 9, 2014 at 7:17 am #

Beautiful soup MJ and those recipes you linked up are all worth trying.

• mj November 9, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

Thanks Taruna! I agree – they all need to be tried!

4. Raymund November 3, 2014 at 11:46 am #

What a lovely set of recipes you got there.

5. Sanjeeta kk November 2, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Awee…what a wonderful collection of Squash recipe…bookmarking to try many soon! Love those breakfast bars and sweet Kabocha pudding.

6. swathi November 1, 2014 at 9:18 pm #

Lovely collection of kabocha squash recipes MJ I need to make few from them.

7. Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook November 1, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

We have grown it in the past, I agree, it is pretty amazing. So much flesh inside, because the seed cavity is smaller than a lot of winter squashes. This is a fantastic round up MJ!

8. Ramona November 1, 2014 at 6:17 am #

What a great round up… I feel so inspired to go to the Asian store and get some kabocha squash and make your beautiful soup. 🙂

9. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz October 31, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

It is a favorite squash of mine too and I would not know which recipe to start with, they all look so tempting.

10. Jodee Weiland October 31, 2014 at 8:58 am #

These recipes look delicious, but I especially like your soup! That soup looks so creamy, and I’m betting it’s wonderful…a great way to warm up. Thanks for sharing all these great recipes!

11. Carol at Wild Goose Tea October 30, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

What an amazing collection of recipes! Such variety. I never knew the name of that squash. AND I am not sure I have tried it. I am now. I am still reeling at the number of recipes. What a fun post!

12. Sissi October 30, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

Thank you for sharing so many kabocha recipes. Your soup looks just breathtakingly beautiful. I can almost smell the fennel aroma… (I love fennel!).

13. Karen (Back Road Journal) October 30, 2014 at 7:27 am #

I keep seeing recipes using kabocha squash but haven’t tried it. Thank you for the inspiring post, MJ…I must buy some soon.

14. Katerina October 30, 2014 at 2:06 am #

You have so many different types of squashes there. here in Greece we only have butternut squash and the classic pumpkin. This is a beautiful collection of recipes!

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Thanks Katerina! We do have a huge selection of squash here and sometimes it’s hard to decide. 😉

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 29, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

As a huge kabocha fan, reading through this round up was a real fun!!!! I often end up with Japanese kabocha dishes so it was a very nice inspiration for new kabocha dishes! Thank you for including my recipes too. xoxo

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:36 pm #

You’ve got some great Kabocha recipes on your site Nami! It was difficult choosing one to feature. 🙂 thanks for sharing!

16. Angie@Angie's Recipes October 29, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

A fantastic roundup, MJ. I want to try those puddings!

17. ray October 29, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

Kabocha is my go to squash because it’s delicious. The only thing I dislike about it is it is hard to peel. I guess one just have to be patient and careful peeling it. Thank you very much for using the images and for the mention. I hope you are having a fabulous week! 🙂

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

It’s impossible to peel!!! 🙂 Thanks for sharing your beautiful images with us Ray! Hope you’re having a great week!

18. marcie October 29, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

I was turned onto kabocha squash last year and there was no turning back! I love this round up of great recipes, and thank you for linking up to my autumn minestrone! 🙂

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

The same thing happened to me Marcie. 🙂 Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.

19. Nina Phomina October 29, 2014 at 11:26 am #

What an inspiring collection of Kabocha dishes! I am going to make Chicken tajine with kabocha. Thank you so much for including my recipe.

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

Chicken tajine with kabocha sounds quite interesting. Thanks for sharing you recipe with us!

20. Shashi @ runninsrilankan October 29, 2014 at 8:56 am #

I adore kabocha – it’s one of my favorite of the squash family! As hard as it is to cut, I find it easier than pumpkins to cut through. MJ – your soup sounds so mouthwatering as do all thees kabocha recipes – thanks so so very much for including my kabocha and chocolate chip bars!

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

I can’t wait to make those chocolate chip bars of yours Shashi! Thanks for sharing them with us here.

21. Amy (Savory Moments) October 29, 2014 at 4:31 am #

Great round-up, MJ! Kabocha is one of my favorite winter squash. Thanks so much for featuring my recipe!

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

Thank you for sharing Amy!!!

22. Debra October 29, 2014 at 4:29 am #

I love these roundups you post. Very comprehensive list, MJ.

23. Sophia October 29, 2014 at 12:32 am #

Thanks for mentioning my Baked Kabocha Squash Chips! I love Kabocha squash, great collection of recipes you have here!

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

Thanks Sophia! Your chips look fabulous!

24. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm #

I love this squash, although it’s technically a pumpkin here. All these recipes look really good. You added some lovely dishes.

25. John@Kitchen Riffs October 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

What a great collection of recipes! I like kabocha squash, a lot, but haven’t done that much with it. You’ve given me a great place to start! Thanks so much.

26. Alina @ Vegan Runner Eats October 28, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

A lovely collection of recipes, thank you for including mine!

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

You are most welcome and thanks for sharing!

27. The Wimpy Vegetarian October 28, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

I love your roundup, MJ!! Thanks so much for including mine, and now I can’t wait to try more kabocha squash goodness here. You’re right – it’s almost creamy, perfect for soup 🙂

• mj November 4, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us Susan!!