Green Chile Home Fries with Leeks and Carrots

A spicy stovetop winner with country fried potatoes, leeks, carrots and New Mexico green chile. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

It is personally a challenge for me to make a potato dish without adding green chile especially during green chile season, and a challenge for which I gladly accept failure.  Potatoes and green chile are two ingredients that are just meant for each other and that’s all there is to it.

This time of year, our Sunday brunch hash browns and home fries always get piled with green chile.  One of my favorite versions of home fries is this Green Chile Home Fries with Leeks and Carrots dish.  This dish makes a hardy brunch and is a great way to get your vegetables, carbs and protein.  It is similar to the Southwestern Pileup, but the leeks and carrots provide a different flavor profile than the onion and bell pepper in the pileup, and still match up nicely with the chile.  Once it’s ready to serve, top each serving with a fried egg and squeeze a little lime juice on top. And, if you still have some fresh, homegrown tomatoes, slice one up as a side or chop it up as another topping.

It may not be the prettiest dish, but it sure is good.  I hope you enjoy!

Green chile country fries with leeks and carrots. | mjskitchen.com

The Potatoes – I’m a sucker for organic yellow potatoes, so that is what I usually buy. They are so creamy and cook faster than most other potatoes; therefore, if you use red or russet potatoes the cook times may be a little longer.

The Amount of Green Chile – How much you use depends on the heat of the chile and how hot you want the dish to be.  With mild to medium chile,  1/2 cup or even more is good. Hot chile might need to be reduced depending on your heat tolerance.

Substitutes for Green Chile – If you don’t have New Mexico green chile handy, then you can substitute roasted fresh red chile, poblano, serrano, urfa biber, murupi amerela or any of your favorite freshly roasted chiles.  If you happen to have some Green Chile and Lime Zest Relish on hand you could also substitute the green chile and lime with 1/2 cup of this relish.  If you don’t have any roasted chiles, then just chop up a jalapeno or two, or add a chipotle pepper from a jar of chipotle in adobo sauce.  As usual the type of chile you use contributes quite a bit to the flavor, so use what you like, but be careful not to overpower the wonderful flavor of the leeks. 🙂

For more recipes using New Mexico green or red chile, please see my Chile Recipes Index page.

A Parting Shot

For the 25 years I taught at the local community college the summer break was always the last two to three weeks in August, the perfect time to head to the mountains of northern New Mexico. Invariably, Bobby and I would pack up the backpacks and head out. One year, along with two of Bobby’s brothers, we packed the Santa Barbara Divide loop in the Pecos Wilderness. I thought I would share this beautiful view from the top of the northern most peak of the Truchas Peaks in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, one of the mountains we climbed during this trip. No matter how easy or how hard the climb, getting to the top of a mountain is always worth the view.

Top of North Truchas Peak in northern New Mexico | mjskitchen.com

MJ and Bobby on North Truchas Peak (13,024 ft), Sangre de Cristo Mountains (1988)

A few of the ingredients that I carried on these trips were a potato or two, some grits, a can of spam and a few small cans of green chile.  Do you see a couple of meals here? Invariably we had at least one or two mornings of grits and green chile. For supper, I would cook up some country fries with cubes of spam, chopped onion (which I always carried), and green chile.  Not a dish I normally make at home, but a  great dish after a long day of hiking.

For all of you backpackers out there, what’s your favorite backpacking dish?

Tags: , , ,

57 Responses to “Green Chile Home Fries with Leeks and Carrots”

1. Deena Kakaya October 27, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

Now this, is some tasty comfort eating! lovely x

2. Terra September 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm #

Okay, I need to make this recipe. My hubby and I would love this recipe. I still have a few hatch chilies to roast. I do adore green chilies in a potato recipe! Fabulous, Hugs, Terra

• mj September 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Terra! So glad to hear that you have some hatch chiles where you are!

3. Gloria September 24, 2014 at 9:52 am #

OMG this sounds so delish….potatoes cheese chile ..loved the combo and flavour….i bet it tasted great…

• mj September 25, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks Gloria!

4. Helene D'Souza September 24, 2014 at 5:25 am #

yeah something new for us to try. =)
    Looks very appetizing MJ and I can imagine having this for dinner sometime.
    Thanks for sharing.

• mj September 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks Helene!

5. Jen @ Baked by an Introvert September 18, 2014 at 8:44 am #

This is a fabulous combination of flavors! My husband would gobble this right up, especially with those chilies.

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks Jen! Always great to find another chile lover. 🙂

6. Karen (Back Road Journal) September 18, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Carrots in the home fries is a different and clever idea.

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Thanks Karen!

7. Katerina September 18, 2014 at 2:44 am #

I love the sweetness leeks bring to dishes and these potatoes sure got the kick they needed!

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Thanks Katerina! I’m with you on the leeks. Even though they are a member of the onion family, they still have their own unique flavor. Just love them!

8. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen September 17, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

I think potatoes need a little kick in them. Love love love potatoes with spices.

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Thanks Peachy!

9. Viviane Bauquet Farre September 16, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Sounds delicious, MJ! And I love the citrus-y sqeeze of lime as the finishing touch. Lovely.

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Thanks Viviane! The lime does add a little zest to the mix. 🙂

10. Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen September 16, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Don’t ever fight the urge to add green chile! This looks absolutely wonderful. I want to come eat at your house, MJ!

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

You’ve got that right Valerie! 🙂 You are welcome here any time!

11. Raymund September 15, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

Love this recipe for breakfast pair it with some bacon then I am all sorted.
    The chillies will be a good start for metabolism!

• mj September 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

Thanks Raymund! Bacon is a great protein side. Mexican chorizo is a great choice as well.

12. Sissi September 13, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

Dear MJ, thank you for sharing your holiday memories with us! The green chile fries are one more exotic dish for me… but it’s so obviously good, I definitely must prepare it soon! And I have no idea how you have managed making fried potatoes look so gorgeous!
    After my market trip I was chile-preserving today again 😉 I made fresh chile in oil (pepperoncini sott’olio) once more (we go through a jam-like jar a week now…); today I bought some habaneros too 😉 I also chopped and salted chiles the Sichuan way (they must ferment for two weeks at least alas…). I always think of you whenever I cook or preserve chile or even when I buy it 🙂 If you lived nearby we would have so much fun…

• mj September 14, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! I can’t tell you how much I would love to be able to be in the kitchen with you and bowls of different chiles! That would be be SO much fun! I’m going to be playing with some chile tomorrow. Think you could take the red eye and fly over. 🙂

13. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz September 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

I think the dish does look wonderful and hardy, very fall like. Wow look at the view from that pic!

• mj September 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Pretty amazing view isn’t it? 🙂

14. Bam's Kitchen September 12, 2014 at 6:00 am #

MJ’s my boys would go wild over this dish! Potatoes, chilis and cheese. Now if that is not a teenager favorite, I don’t know what is! Topped with a sunny side egg of course… I bet this dish would even be tastier at 13,024 feet. Love that photo and great view. Have a super weekend and take care, BAM

• mj September 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Thanks Bam! Oh yes – I would agree that any teenager, especially growing boys, would enjoy this dish!

15. Carol at Wild Goose Tea September 11, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

I am a potato hound. I can resist putting green chilies into every batch, but what a great idea. I eat potatoes all kinds of ways. They make me full without overeating. I looked at that photo and was getting out my pan to make some eggs too.
    Gosh what a gorgeous view! I love seeing photos from your area.

• mj September 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks Carol! You’re right that it doesn’t take many potatoes until you feel full.

16. The Wimpy Vegetarian September 11, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

I love this potato dish – and I agree, it’s just about impossible not to add chiles to potatoes. Your photos are just gorgeous, both of the food and the Sangre de Christo Mountains. Just gorgeous.

• mj September 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Thanks so much Susan. The view made the mountain top easy. It was gorgeous!

17. Shashi @ runninsrilankan September 11, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

You think this doesn’t look good??? Oh goodness – this plate of potatoes combined with leeks and garlic and cheese and topped with that fried egg is making me wanna crawl through the screen – it looks so delicious and sounds heavenly – my idea of comfort food!

• mj September 11, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Thanks so much Shashi!

18. Debra September 11, 2014 at 4:54 am #

I am so glad you just admit defeat and pile on the green chiles. LOL. Love the retro hiking pic. My dad has a place in CO near this range.

• mj September 11, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Yep – that’s one of those defeats I can live with. 🙂 Thanks!

19. Choc Chip Uru September 11, 2014 at 2:51 am #

These fries sound like a wonderful change from your average fries, they look flavoursome of course, but I would never have thought of putting leeks and carrots with them! 😀
    Great idea!

Choc Chip Uru

• mj September 11, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks Uru! The leeks and carrots are actually quite good.

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 11, 2014 at 12:41 am #

Potatoes and green chile – I believe you! Potatoes are always my favorite dish, and I must try your way! I love the picture on the top of mountain. I used to enjoy climbing the mountains…be in the nature… I miss those days. The crisp air… ahhh I wish I could tag along with you guys. 😀

• mj September 11, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

Thanks Nami! I miss the days of climbing mountains as well. Now we drive to the top. 🙂 The air is so clean in the mountain and, unless there is a thunderstorm (which are really cool), is so quiet. Love it!

21. Joyti September 11, 2014 at 12:32 am #

Oh! This sounds really delicious. Love the combination of ingredient. Yum!

• mj September 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

Thanks Joyti!

22. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

I could not resist those potatoes and would be sorely tempted to eat anyone’s leftovers.

Then I saw that brilliant mountain shot – how cool to get to the top. Did you cook at the top or on the way down? 🙂

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Thanks Maureen! No we didn’t cook at the top. Our camp was set up at the bottom, down by some beautiful lakes, so we did all our cooking there. The campsite was around 12,000 ft, so still pretty high.

23. Nads September 10, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Potatoes are the perfect backdrop for green chiles. I love the addition of leeks instead of onions and carrots for a little sweetness. I ordered a dish that was supposed to be similar to this one time in a café in Canton, Texas, but search as I must, I only found 3 tiny pieces of green chile. What a bummer. The chile was the only reason for ordering it. When I make this, and I will, I plan on piling on the chiles.

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

3 pieces of chile? Well that’s just disgraceful! Whoever made that dish should be ashamed of his or her self. And you are so right – the chile makes it; otherwise it’s just potatoes. I hope you enjoy it with LOTS of chile!

24. Angie (@angiesrecipess) September 10, 2014 at 6:53 am #

A very satisfying and delicious potato recipe, MJ. I love the add of roasted chillies.

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Thanks so much Angie!

25. easyfoodsmith September 10, 2014 at 2:49 am #

This version of potatoes sounds so delicious. So full of flavors…my Indian palate is going to love it 😉

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

Thanks so much Taruna!

26. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

What a stunning view of the mountains MJ – and I couldn’t agree with you more, there’s nothing better than reaching the summit. The reference to spam made me smile — my husband (a rock climber, sailor and adventurer) resurrects the versatility of spam in our conversations every now and again :). Personally, I think your home fries are very pretty (especially like the second shot) the leek and carrot really dresses it up but, let’s face it, we’re in it for the chile ;-). Delicious, sunny dish.

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Thanks Kelly! I think Spam is a love or hate thing. The ONLY time Bobby would ever eat it was on backpacking trips, but try to serve him Spam at home – no way. As for me, I’m with you husband – Spam is a very versatile food product. 🙂

27. Joan September 9, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

I like the flavor combinations, I usually use hot sauce and just onions, looking forward to the change with chiles, and leeks.

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks Joan! I understand the hot sauce. Growing up in Louisiana hot sauce and potatoes were the traditional way especially if the hot sauce was Tabasco. You know, you can always use both. 🙂

28. Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook September 9, 2014 at 10:53 am #

So delicious looking MJ – love hatch chilies when we can get them, and potatoes and chilies are a favorite flavor combo! Thanks!

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks Donalyn!

29. Bill September 9, 2014 at 10:42 am #

I really love home fries the traditional way with onion and bell pepper. I suspect that green chilis would put this classic potato dish over the top! As always you inspire me to use more chilis, MJ!

• mj September 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm #