Hash Brown Cakes with Andouille Sausage

Hash Brown Cakes with Andouille sausage and red chile pepper flakes. mjskitchen.com

There are potato cakes and then there are hash brown cakes.  Hash brown cakes are made with grated, uncooked potatoes, where as potato cakes are made with mashed potatoes.  My preference – hash brown cakes – any day of the week.  The Hash Brown Cakes that I’m dishing up today have it all.  They have andouille sausage, some diced vegetables, Pecorino Romano, and last, but not least, a very special red chile flake all the way from Turkey.  Serve these cakes with a vegetable side, some pinto beans or top with a fried egg for a complete meal.  See the Kitchen Notes for more side suggestions.

Before we get to the recipe, I’d like to introduce you to yet another chile pepper  – maras biber, a chile pepper from Kahramanmaraş, Turkey.  My friends @ Fiery Foods and Plants sent me some maras biber chile flakes this spring.  As I was opening the package, Bobby was pouring freshly popped popcorn into a bowl.  I immediately sprinkled some of the chile flakes on the popcorn (a great way to really appreciate the flavor of chile – BTW).  What a very unique chile – slightly sweet and fruity with a medium to medium hot smokey heat.  In these  hash brown cakes, this chile greatly complements the smokiness and spiciness of the andouille and adds yet another layer of flavor. It also jazzes up a simple pasta dish, some sauteed vegetables and just about any salad.

Fiery Foods and Plants is planning to have fresh maras biber peppers at harvest time this summer, seeds available in the fall and starter plants in Spring of 2015. So if you are interested in giving these peppers a try, contact Fords.

Hash Brown Cakes with Andouille sausage and red chile flakes. mjskitchen.com

Hash brown Cakes with Andouille sausage and red chile pepper flakes mjskitchen.com

Andouille – If you don’t have andouille, then substitute with another smoked sausage.  You could also cook up some sausage, like Italian or Mexican chorizo, crumble and add to the potato mixture.  Just don’t add uncooked sausage. It will make the cakes too greasy and they’ll fall apart.

Red chile flakes – As I mentioned, the maras biber is great with this cakes; however, you could use just about any red chile flakes or red chile powder for that matter.  Just think about the sausage you choose to use and what might go with it.  Personally, I would stay away from chipotle flakes (even though I do love them), because they could overpower the other flavors in these cakes.

Smoked Paprika – Now here is where you can use the chipotle. :)  Any smoked chile powder would work in place of the smoked paprika.

Suggested Sides

These Hash Brown Cakes with Andouille make a great weekend brunch or dinner any day of the week.  I hope you enjoy!

Tags: , ,

51 Responses to “Hash Brown Cakes with Andouille Sausage”

1. Bill August 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Wow! Reading this recipe made my mouth drool, MJ. I love hash browns and adding veg, andouille, and cheese is a stroke of genius! Gotta try these.

• mj August 12, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks Bill! These cakes have a real tasty kick to them. Hope you get a chance to try them.

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 23, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

Potato must soak up all the delicious flavors especially from the special sausages! In Japanese cooking, we use mashed potatoes to make croquette, but I don’t think we have any dishes beyond that. This will be my new recipe I’m interested in trying out. I love potatoes and can eat it every dish. <3

3. The Wimpy Vegetarian July 23, 2014 at 9:21 am #

What fun to find a new pepper! I love the idea of sprinkling it on popcorn – genius. And hash browns are a long time favorite of mine :-) I’ve never squeezed lime over them – I need to try that !

• mj July 29, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Thanks Susan! Oh you really need to try popcorn and chile. Popcorn will never be boring again. :)

4. Raymund July 22, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

I love the addition of sausage here, it would bring tons of flavour to this hash brown

• mj July 22, 2014 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks Raymund! You’re right – the sausage does add tons of flavor.

5. easyfoodsmith July 22, 2014 at 12:07 am #

It may sound silly but to me it is amusing that we eat a certain dish yet we tend to not know what its name is. My mum used to make these but I never knew they are called Hash Brown although i had heard about hash brown potatoes and I thought that perhaps they are some sort of potato variety! :-P

• mj July 22, 2014 at 10:24 am #

I know what you mean! Also there is the confusion of something being called one thing in one country or state and something else elsewhere. Actually, hash brown are not a potato variety but more of a preparation. Hash brown potatoes are simply potatoes that have been grated with a large grater and cooked. I love them because you get the combination of crispy and mashed. :)

6. Liz July 21, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

I’d love to try some pepper flakes in my next batch of popcorn…what a great idea! As are these hash brown cakes! Definitely a hubby approved recipe, too :)

• mj July 21, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

Thanks Liz! chile flakes and popcorn is great! :)

7. Viviane Bauquet Farre July 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

These look delicous, MJ! They look almost like a southern take on crab cakes :)

• mj July 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Thanks Viviane! I hope to have crab cakes up soon. :)

8. Nads July 21, 2014 at 6:54 am #

These look really yummy! I can see making a big batch of these, cooking and freezing them for quick lunches or even breakfast. Have you tried freezing them? I read this when you first posted it and have been meaning to try it but haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ll let you know when I make up a batch and I think I’ll try freezing a few too. I love having something on hand for when I’m too tired to cook a big meal. I’ll let you know when I do.

• mj July 21, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

Hey Darlin – no I haven’t tried freezing them, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Hope you enjoy them and let me know if the freezing works. XOXOOX

9. Dedy@Dentist Chef July 20, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Superb!!!
    i love this kind of meaty hash brown and you’ve made it dry too!!!

• mj July 21, 2014 at 10:31 pm #

thanks Deby! Yes, frying them on the griddle works great!

10. Carol at Wild Goose Tea July 18, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

This is MY kind of a dish. I am such a potato fiend. I would be a sausage fiend too, but I still want to be small enough to fit thru my front door. Oh my fried eggs with runny yolks. I can picture it now! I don’t do well with a whole pan of hash browns, but I should be able to nicely brown these little patty cakes.

• mj July 19, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Thanks Carol! I know what you mean about sausage, that’s why I limit it to just one. In this recipe, the sausage is serving the same purpose as the onion, just a little bit of added flavor. The eggs with a runny yolk – a MUST! :)

11. Joyti July 18, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

Well, I think I’d prefer hash brown cakes – they DO sound so much better. This looks really delicious!

• mj July 19, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Thanks Joyti!

12. wok with ray July 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

I am usually a hash brown snub but when I saw this post and the picture of what you made. . . hmm, I am changing my mind. All the yummy ingredients that you threw in there, I can’t say no to that. I hope you are having a good week, MJ. :)

• mj July 19, 2014 at 9:34 am #

You? A hash brown snob? I wouldn’t have guessed that, but you do love your potatoes. :) I love making hash browns but I never have been able to restrain adding stuff to them or topping them green chile and/or other ingredients. Have a great weekend my friend!

13. Angie (@angiesrecipess) July 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

They are very much like German Reibekuchen…I too prefer the texture of hash brown. These look fingerlickingly delicious, MJ.

• mj July 19, 2014 at 9:31 am #

Just looked up German Reibekuchen and yes, this are very similar to those as well as Polish potato cakes. However, these aren’t fried in oil, just cooked on a griddle. Probably take longer to cook because of that, but you still get the crispy exterior and none of the fat from the oil. And yes, they are fingerlicking good! :) Thanks!

14. Bam's Kitchen July 17, 2014 at 6:57 am #

My hungry teenager boys would love these for their spice and flavor. I will have to try these this week. Maybe I should double the recipe, what do you think?

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:40 am #

Thanks Bam! Hungry TEENAGE boys? Oh yes, I would definitely double the recipe. :)

15. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz July 17, 2014 at 5:43 am #

Looks fantastic and I agree hash browns are the best. Love the andouille here too and very curious about this chile, a great find.

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:38 am #

Thanks Evelyne! You should check out the chile. It’s quite unique. I hope to be be growing it next year.

16. Katerina July 17, 2014 at 12:47 am #

When it comes to potatoes I am not picky at all! I eat all types and all dishes haha! These hash brown cakes are so appetizing! Definitely something I would love in my plate!

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:37 am #

Thanks Katerina! Potatoes definitely are hard to beat in any shape or form. :)

17. Choc Chip Uru July 16, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

These hash browns look utterly wonderful, although my brother would definitely appreciate the sausage :D
    Great job!

Choc Chip Uru

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Thanks Uru! My husband really appreciated the sausage as well.:)

18. John ford July 16, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

Yes I agree. Having these with some sunny side up’s and a glass of OJ
    and thanks again for the plug. I will have some fresh pods in a month. Will get some Aleppos, Urfa biber and Maras biber pods out

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:31 am #

Thanks John! Your pepper flakes sure made these extra special. Can’t wait to try some fresh ones. :)

19. Ramona July 16, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

These hash brown cakes look marvelous. My carnivores at home will love the fact that there is sausage in it. :)

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:30 am #

Thanks Ramona!

20. Sissi July 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

It’s so funny but your hash brown cakes’s basis (raw grated potatoes and onions) reminds me of Polish potato pancakes. Obviously these beauties look not only more attractive, but also much more exciting with all the spices and the sausage inside! I must prepare them one day (it would be one of those dishes we would both go crazy for with my husband). I love the idea!

• mj July 17, 2014 at 7:29 am #

I had to look up Polish potato cakes and yes, they are very similar. Learned something new! :) thanks! Mine so have A LOT more stuff in the and I cook them on a griddle rather than fry in oil. I guess the frying would make them more crispy, but I find that get get plenty crispy on the griddle. The andouille and spice make them extra special. :)

• Sissi July 20, 2014 at 5:46 am #

Griddle wins definitely versus oil! (Not to mention your spices and the sausage!) Traditionally Polish potato pancakes are soooo soaked in oil when you squeeze one you obtain a teaspoon of oil ;-)
        (My mum used to fry them in a thick layer of oil, very very slowly… This way they soaked the maximum of fat ;-) ).
        I actually always used to eat Polish pancakes with some smoked sausage aside, so putting a good sausage into the pancake mixture sounds like a dream idea for me!

• mj July 20, 2014 at 11:45 am #

If you used to eat sausage as a side to polish pancakes, then you really should make life easy and put it all in one dish. :) (Slowed fried anything is not very palatable.)

21. Terra July 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

So many lovely ingredients all together. They would be delicious for breakfast, with fresh fruit. So good! Yum, Hugs, Terra

• mj July 16, 2014 at 8:59 am #

Thanks Terra! See…now you’re talking. The fruit would be great with this because it would help to cool off the little bit of spice one might get from the chiles. Great idea!

22. John@Kitchen Riffs July 15, 2014 at 10:18 am #

Hash brown cakes for me, too. Love the idea of the andouille in these! I love that stuff, so the more recipes where I can use it the better. And I love eggs, so I’d definitely be topping these with either a fried or poached egg. Excellent recipe — thanks.

• mj July 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks John! Andouille is like bacon – you can put it in anything. :)

23. Debra July 15, 2014 at 9:35 am #

I will take mine extra crispy with a soft fried egg on top please.

• mj July 15, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

You got it girl! Come on over!

24. Judy @Savoring Today July 15, 2014 at 7:43 am #

These would surely make a meal in the morning, I’ll bet they would freeze well too. Think I may try making them for my brunch this Friday. I’ve been looking for something different!

• mj July 15, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks Judy! I never thought of freezing them, but yes – I bet they would freeze nicely. Whenever I make them, we usually get two meals from them, so there’s nothing left to freeze. :)

25. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef July 15, 2014 at 6:52 am #

These hash brown cakes would be perfect for breakfast or brunch. I love the combination of mashed/raw and the sausage.

• mj July 15, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

Thanks Maureen! We had them for supper last night and breakfast this morning. :)