Bok Choy with Pecans and Lemongrass

An easy side of bok choy, pecans and Asian spices. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

The primary inspiration for this Bok Choy with Lemongrass recipe came from some spices that I Assortment of Asian spices from Season with Spice mjskitchen.combought a while back from one of my favorite online small businesses – Season with Spice (SwS), an Asian Spice Shop.  Being a lover of a variety of herbs and spices, I purchased quite a few new spices, some of which I had never heard of before. One of those spices was galangal powder, which comes from the fibrous rhizome galangal plant.  The flavor (to me) is earthy and peppery with a hint of ginger. I found it was a nice complementary spice with another of my favorites from SwS – lemongrass powder.

The following recipe uses SwS’s lemongrass powder, galangal powder and Sweet Ginger Sea Salt to make a very simple side dish of bok choy and pecans.  The idea of combining bok choy with pecans comes from a recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks – Great Greens by Georgeanne Brennan.

Bok Choy with lemongrass makes a great side for any Asian seasoned meats such as pork or chicken, curries or satays.  For a vegetarian meal we serve it over brown rice with a touch of soy sauce and toasted coconut flakes.  This dish also goes great with Coconut Rice with Pickled Peppers.

This is another of those recipes that you can do some minor tweaking of ingredients and seasonings that lead to be changes in the finished flavor.  I change it up quite often depending on what I’m serving it with.  So please be sure to check the Kitchen Notes for a few variations of this dish.

Bok choy, pecans and Asian spices make an easy side dish. @MJsKitchen

Bok choy, pecans and Asian spices make an easy side dish @MJsKitchen

Bok Choy – This recipe calls for baby bok choy but if you can’t find it, then regular bok choy can be used.  Just slice it vertically into thin strips.  You may also need to cook it a minute or two longer since the stalks will be thicker.

Cooking Oil – Here’s where you can really be creative.  I’ve used just coconut oil, or 1 Tbsp. coconut oil + 1 Tbsp. butter, or to really change it up – 1 Tbsp. unrefined peanut oil + 1 tsp. sesame seed oil.  All are delicious and with completely different flavor profiles.

Pecans – Roasted, salted peanuts make a good substitution for the pecans.  However, don’t cook them.  Just chop them up and top each serving with a few chopped peanuts.  The nuts do contribute to the flavor of the final dish, but I love them mostly because of the crunchy texture that they add.

Garlic Substitution – I know, why would I want to eliminate the garlic?!  However, if you can find some beautiful spring onions, use them instead.  Slice the onions vertically as you do the bok choy and sauté with the bok choy. Spring onions and bok choy with the sesame and peanuts oils, make a fabulous dish!

The Seasonings – If you don’t have the three seasonings that I use in this dish, then there are alternatives.  If you can find lemongrass, it should work to slice a small stalk and sauté with the bok choy.  For the galangal and sweet ginger sea salt, just grate some fresh ginger and sauté with bok choy or use a little ginger powder and Chinese ground mustard.  Add sea salt to taste.

Other toppings – As with any side dish, you want the flavors to complement whatever you’re serving it with; therefore, other ingredients can be added.  One of my favorites is toasted coconut.  Toasted coconut goes very nicely with the peanuts, peanut oil and sesame oil version.

If you like this Bok Choy with Pecans and Lemongrass dish, then you might also enjoy these dishes:

Leeks lightly braised with preserved lemons and tarragon. @MJsKitchen

Leeks Braised with Preserved Lemons and Tarragon

Steamed onions seasoned with Aleppo pepper, lemongrass and sweet ginger sea salt from Season with Spice

Seasoned with Spice Infused Onions

ybr_Button

Tags: , , ,

50 Responses to “Bok Choy with Pecans and Lemongrass”

1. Asmita July 9, 2014 at 7:14 am #

I wish I would cook bok choy more often. I love how light and delicious it is. This looks amazing MJ!

• mj July 11, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Thanks Asmita! Baby bok choy has been very available this year so we’ve been eating a lot of it.

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 2, 2014 at 8:32 am #

I buy bokchoy and stir fry sometimes. I love lemongrass, and I can imagine its wonderful flavor with the vegetables!

• mj July 2, 2014 at 11:13 am #

Thanks Nami! I think bok choy has become our favorite green to stir fry. I love the spiciness of it! :)

3. Choc Chip Uru June 30, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

Bok choy is one of my favourite vegetables, so this is a must try :D

Choc Chip Uru

4. Vicki Bensinger June 24, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

There’s something about bok choy that’s so light and refreshing. I don’t know why I don’t cook with it more often. This sounds lovely!

• mj June 25, 2014 at 1:05 am #

Thanks Vicki! You’re right. Bok choy is not like other greens at all. I do like the spiciness of it.

5. Beth June 24, 2014 at 11:31 am #

I have some baby bok choy in my fridge right now and was wondering how to prepare it. This looks delicious!

• mj June 25, 2014 at 1:04 am #

Thanks Beth! I hope you get a chance to try this.

6. Liz June 24, 2014 at 5:55 am #

Thanks for the new list of spice mixtures to try! Your bok choy looks wonderful…and adding crunchy pecans sounds delightful!!!

• mj June 25, 2014 at 1:03 am #

You are most welcome Liz! I can’t get enough of SwS’s spices. They are so good! Thanks for stopping by!

7. Hotly Spiced June 24, 2014 at 4:18 am #

That’s a lovely fresh and fragrant stir-fry. I don’t like to substitute garlic either but I have heard spring onions make a good substitute xx

• mj June 25, 2014 at 1:02 am #

Thanks Charlie! When we were finding spring onions earlier, I was using them and loved it, but then switched to garlic once the spring onion disappeared. Both work great!

8. Katerina June 24, 2014 at 1:02 am #

I love the addition of pecans and the lemon grass has such a unique airy flavor!

• mj June 25, 2014 at 1:01 am #

Thanks Katerina! The pecans are pretty amazing in this dish.

9. Raymund June 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

I never had thought of using pecans on bok choy, truly a magnificent recipe

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks so much Raymund!

10. Roz June 23, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

Oh my goodness MJ, you know what the saying “You Had Me At: ” LEMONGRASS! I have got to go to this website you mentioned to buy my Asian spices in some preserved manner because I sure can’t find the fresh ingredients anywhere in SC! Thank you also for an AWESOME recipe!
    Roz

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

Oh Roz – thank you!! Please be sure to check out Season with Spice. It is my favorite spice shop and my favorite people!

11. Tessa June 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Looks fantastic MJ! Galangal and lemon grass are some of my favorite ingredients!

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks Tessa! Just discovered galangal and love it!

12. Debra June 22, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

I adore bok choy, put usually eat it raw. I can’t even imagine how aromatic this dish is,

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks Debra! I’ve never eaten it raw. I’ve tasted it, but just eating it raw – need to give it another try.

13. Samantha @ Carpe Cibus June 22, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

I have been recieving SO much bok choy in my CSA boxes this year. Thank you for the inspiration!

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Oh you lucky girl! They don’t supply bok choy in CSA boxes around here. Thanks for commenting!

14. Swathi June 21, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Delicious, love this bok choy peacans lemongrass recipe. I will try this.

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

thanks Swathi! Hope you do give a try.

15. Deena Kakaya June 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

lovely to see bok choi prepared so tenderly and lovingly, it is a vegetable that does not need much dressing right? x

• mj June 23, 2014 at 9:13 pm #

Totally agree Deena. It doesn’t need much. It’s pretty spicy and flavorful on its own.

16. Healing Tomato June 20, 2014 at 12:08 am #

I have a huge love for bok choy! Everytime I see a recipe, I have to make it. You made a great recipe here and I CAN’T wait to try it.

• mj June 21, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Thanks so much! I hope you do get a chance to try it. Let me know how you like it if you make it.

17. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 19, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Beautiful recipe. I’m in love with the simplicity and versatility. I enjoy working with lemongrass but have never experimented with the powder. I suspect a little powder goes a long way to delivering taste — I have to try it! (it would be practical too as I can’t always get my hands on lemongrass stalk depending on where I’m shopping, etc.) great idea. I’m mesmerized by how the light is hitting your photos MJ.

• mj June 21, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Thanks Kelly! I’ve worked with lemongrass in the past and that’s exactly what it is – work. :) The powder is SO much easier to use and still delivers that wonderful refreshing flavor of lemongrass without the hassle. Thanks for the compliments on the photos!

18. Bill June 19, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Very nice recipe, MJ. I love bok choy and combining it with pecans is great idea. Love the combination of textures. It’s also simple, so it’s a great side dish for weeknights. I’ll have to check out the spices. I’ve used fresh lemongrass but never dried. Thanks for the tip. Great post!

• mj June 21, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Thanks Bill! This does make a great weeknight dish. It’s go quick to throw together. Please do check ou the lemongrass powder. It’s pretty awesome stuff!

19. Ramona June 19, 2014 at 6:45 am #

Gorgeous, healthy and light… just what I am looking for in a meal this hot summer. :)

20. Terra June 18, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

I know Bok Choy is extremely healthy. I just never think to enjoy it like this. What a fun, delicious side dish! I bet you could grill the Bok Chok, that sounds delicious! Yum, Hugs, Terra

• mj June 19, 2014 at 1:01 am #

Thanks Terra! We’ve become huge fan of sauteed Bok Choy. I love the contrast you get from the soft, wilted leaves and the crunchy stems. There’s so much you can do with it. I hope you give it a try.

21. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz June 18, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

Missing the galangal powder and that amazing sounding salt but I have a stalk of lemon grass in the fridge :-) Great recipe, love bok choy and pecans is a great additions.

• mj June 19, 2014 at 1:00 am #

Thanks Evelyne! Lemongrass, bok choy and pecans will make a very nice dish! :) Hope you get a chance to try it.

22. Nads June 18, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Jim and I really like bok choy and I’m always on the lookout for new ways to fix it. This sounds excellent, sans the coconut and coconut oil, of course. I have some candied ginger. I wonder how that would work in place of the galangal? I’ll give it a try soon and let you know.

• mj June 19, 2014 at 12:59 am #

Thanks Nadalyn! Go with the peanut/sesame oil version. We like that just as much as using coconut oil. Not sure about the candied ginger so I’ll be interested to know how that turns out. I’m sure it will be simply marvelous!

23. Sissi June 18, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Bok choy is such a delicate, subtle vegetable, isn’t it? I play with it all the time (I substitute many other vegetables with it and it works all the time).
    I love the way you paired it with pecans and lemongrass. I have frozen or fresh galangal (sold here in Asian groceries) practically all the time in the fridge (necessary for Thai-inspired coconut soups or coconut curries) but I have never thought of drying it… Thank you for giving me this wonderful idea (I throw it away from time to time).

• mj June 19, 2014 at 12:51 am #

Yes – Bok Choy can be quite subtle and like you, I use it as a substitute for many different greens, especially Swiss chard and spinach. I actually enjoy Bok choy more because I love those crispy stems. :) Until recently, I wouldn’t have recognize fresh galangal if I did see it. I think I could recognize it now because SwS had an interesting article on it. I’m going to look for some fresh next time I go to the Asian store. Thanks Sissi!

24. John@Kitchen Riffs June 18, 2014 at 8:59 am #

I’ve never used galangal powder! I gotta try it. This is such a nice dish — tons of flavor, and perfect for warmer weather. I don’t stir-fry enough! Lovely dish — thanks.

• mj June 19, 2014 at 12:46 am #

Thanks John! I think you would like galangal powder. It’s fun trying new spices and not really knowing how to use them because you aren’t “restricted” to the norm. You can just throw it in and hope it works and it did! :)

25. Angie (@angiesrecipess) June 18, 2014 at 8:33 am #

I made a stir-fried bokchoy with some garlic and chilli pepper for the lunch today. Love the idea of adding some nutty crunchiness in it too. This looks very delicious too.

• mj June 19, 2014 at 12:42 am #

Yum – garlic and chilli pepper with bokchoy sounds wonderful! I’ll be trying that next time. Thanks!

26. minnie@thelady8home June 18, 2014 at 7:37 am #

I love Bokchoy, and this looks really really good. I love the flavors, they blend beautifully. No chilies though this time I see :) Lovely clicks.

• mj June 19, 2014 at 12:41 am #

Thanks Minnie! Nope – no chiles this time around, but you do get a little heat from the galangal. :)