Green Chile and Lime Zest Relish

New Mexico green chile seasoned with lime zest for a refreshing relish. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

This Green Chile and Lime Zest Relish was HUGELY inspired by a recipe from my spicy Switzerland counterpart – Sissi @ With a Glass.  Earlier this year Sissi posted a Chilli and Lime Zest Paste (Raimu Kosho), a simple paste made with fresh chilli (chile) peppers, lime zest and salt.  The moment I saw it I thought – “this would be great with some of my roasted green chile” – and I was right!  What a refreshing and deliciously simplistic way to serve green chile!

Since I used frozen, roasted green and red chile rather than crispy fresh chiles, I decided to make a relish rather than a paste.  Instead of running the chiles through a blender, I just minced them along with a little bit of onion.  To this were added the remaining two ingredients – lime zest and salt. WOW!  This relish took definitely takes Sweet Potato Hash Browns up a notch and adds a real zing to our Migas. We can’t stop eating it!  Thanks Sissi!

Green Chile – During the fall I roast as much green and red chile as possible.  The relish you see in the picture is a mix of both red and green New Mexico chile. You can use all green, all red, or just about any roasted chile you have available.  As you’ll see when you visit Sissi’s recipe, this recipe also works great with just about any fresh chile peppers.

Onion – The onion is added for a little bit of a crispy texture that is missing when using roasted chiles.

Salt – I greatly reduced the amount of salt from Sissi’s because I wasn’t really pickling the chile like she was.  The ¼ teaspoon was plenty for us and can easily be increased or decreased to your taste.

Suggested Uses – Substitute this relish for the chopped green chile in most any of the recipes found in the Green Chile Recipe Index. And of course, it would make a great topping for a green chile cheeseburger! YUM!

More suggestions for using this green chile and lime zest chile coming soon!

Tags: , , , ,

50 Responses to “Green Chile and Lime Zest Relish”

1. Sanjeeta kk May 21, 2014 at 4:12 am #

Lemon zest in a relish…you have taken a simple onion relish to another level, MJ. I could have never thought of adding zest in my salad or relish…but what a wonderful idea this is!

2. Bimbel online May 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

sedapnya.. makin lapar saja saya terimakasih artikelnya

3. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles May 20, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Well, you know how much I love this relish and does it ever look gorgeous too MJ. You’ve managed to elevate mash to a whole new level of beautiful. That second photo with the light streaming in and the delicate green leaves…so lovely and a very nice perspective too. And the bowl… I could go on and on :). This recipe could not be any simpler too which I always appreciate – great spin on a Sissi classic, xx.

• mj May 20, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

Thanks so much Kelly! I just happened to have picked up the bowl and matching plate at a flea market last week. Pretty nice huh? :)

• Kelly @ Inspired Edibles May 21, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

It’s beyond nice… a beaut! you know, I keep looking out for garage (or estate) sales… I desperately need more interesting props ;-)

4. Viviane Bauquet Farre May 19, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Looks like it was a great call to make relish, instead of a paste. It’d be a shame to throw out the texture of those wonderful green chiles!

• mj May 19, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Definitely Vivianne! Didn’t like the idea of a green chile paste at all. :) Thanks for your comments!

5. Terra May 19, 2014 at 4:20 pm #

I am kinda wanting this on my quesadilla tonight, it looks awesome! What a fun recipe, and perfect for me. I have to have low sodium, store bought salsa is high in salt, this is a perfect option! Yum, Hugs, Terra

• mj May 19, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

Thanks Terra! I added it to my tortilla egg sandwich (breakfast quesadilla) and it was awesome! For even lower salt, you could decrease the salt to 1/8 tsp and probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

6. Melodie K. May 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

Versatile way to serve fresh chile!

Haven’t tackled “migas” yet, but preparing this relish to go atop hash browns and burgers is definitely something I want to do soon.

• mj May 19, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks so much Melodie! I hope you do get a chance to try this. It’s absolutely fabulous on those hash browns!

7. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

So nice to see Sissi’s name here in the post! You two are chile fans and love seeing creative dishes like this inspired by each other. I learn so much about chile dish from you, MJ, or Queen of Chile. :D

• mj May 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

Sometimes I think of Sissi as my doppelganger. :) She’s the Queen of Chile in Europe.

8. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania May 18, 2014 at 11:02 am #

How simple, but how appealing this recipe is! I love chile, whether green or red. I am sure, this will spice up any bland dish!

• mj May 19, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks Purabi! It is quite simple and SO good!

9. Carol at Wild Goose Tea May 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Gosh, I dropped by last week but my post just sat there and the little thing went around and around. But here I am again to see what you are up to. I am pooped from my day job right now, so this screams SIMPLE. I find that appealing. I should be in the kitchen ‘a peeling’ some chilies, because some of this relish would be some zip in my lagging get and go. Seriously it does look tasty and I do appreciate the simple.

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks Carol! I hope you have recovered from your day and are having a marvelous weekend!

10. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl May 16, 2014 at 11:58 am #

This has all the flavors in it that i love so I know I would totally enjoy this relish! What a great recipe idea!

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks so much Pamela!!

11. Sissi May 16, 2014 at 8:49 am #

MJ, you are so talented! What a creative way to tweak Raimu Koshou! I am thrilled to learn you liked the idea and adapted it so easily to your cooking style and ingredients you often use. I love this relish and am looking forward to testing it one day too.
    Thank you so much for your kind mention and link. I am truly honoured my simple recipe was an inspiration for you.

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Thank YOU Sissi! I’ve been wanting to make this ever since you posted it and finally got around to it the other day when I picked up some more green chile. Once I get some fresh chiles I’ll be trying it again.

12. Jen May 15, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Glad to see you are still cooking up a storm!

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Jen, so good to see you again! Hope you’re still cooking as well. Headed over to check it out! It’s been too long!

13. Minnie@thelady8home May 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

I have never met someone who is a greater fan of chilies, and is so innovative with it. I personally adore chilies, and use a handful at every opportunity, and this is my kind of food. A total delight!

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks so much Minnie!! Chile is a livelihood here in New Mexico. It’s our number one export crop, so it’s close to everyone’s heart and stomach. :)

14. Amy (Savory Moments) May 15, 2014 at 4:41 am #

Yum! This relish looks so flavorful. I would love it on a burger with some cheese!

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

On a burger with cheese is the best way! :) Thanks Amy!

15. Maureen May 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

Green chile cheeseburger? What a heavenly thing to consider! I love your relish.

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

Oh Maureen – you have had a burger until you’ve had a green chile cheese burger! :) I haven’t been able to eat a burger without green chile in years!

16. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz May 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

Love this relish. I like your interpretation with more texture by chopping the chile. It would add “pop” to any dish.

• mj May 17, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! It’s not much onion, but it does contribute in more than one way.

17. Nisa Homey May 14, 2014 at 10:53 am #

I just want to dive into that bowl….so delish!

• mj May 17, 2014 at 10:14 am #

Diving in my cause some skin irritation from the spice. :) Thanks Nisa!

18. Nancy@SpicieFoodie May 13, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

My mouth is watering so much right now! I saw your note about being able to make it with other fresh chiles — can’t wait to try it, we love the chile and lime combination. Great recipe and thanks for sharing MJ!

• mj May 14, 2014 at 8:06 am #

Thanks so much Nancy! Once I find some fresh green chile, I’m going to try it with the fresh chiles as well. It was just SO good!

19. Debra May 13, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

Simple and delicious, MJ!

20. The Wimpy Vegetarian May 13, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

I just love condiments like this that can take dishes to a whole new level. It looks fantastic, and I love your photos!!!

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks so much Susan! I’m with you – I love any and all condiments!

21. Raymund May 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

I think this would go well with hotdog sandwiches too!

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks Raymund! It probably would be great on a hotdog – unfortunately, I’ll never know since hotdogs are a food that I have never been able to eat.

22. John@Kitchen Riffs May 13, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Wow, so nice! I love anything chile-related, and this is such an interesting idea. I’m out of my stash of frozen roasted chilies, alas, but in a few months I’ll be able to make some — and try this. ;-) Thanks so much.

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

Thanks John! You’re out of chile – what a bummer! Thank goodness I’m less than a mile away from a constant source. I’ll bring this back during chile season. :)

23. Katerina May 13, 2014 at 9:34 am #

I love relishes because Ican dive into them with anything I can think of lol! This one is unique and very tasty!

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

Thanks Katerina! I’m with you – I love relishes or anything that falls under “condiment”. :)

24. ray May 13, 2014 at 9:06 am #

What a simple but flavorful combination you have there with the green chilies and lime zest. That is a beautiful and bright shot of the dish. It looks very refreshing. Have a good week, MJ! :)

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Well, I have to give Sissi credit on the combination of flavors. That lime zest was just awesome with green chile! Thanks for your wonderful comments! Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

25. Zena Thomas May 13, 2014 at 8:51 am #

This sounds delish! I will give it a try right away. Do you know if canning the relish would affect the texture? I can a pickle relish which turns out well. I would love to make this and give it as Christmas gifts.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Your friend and follower, Zena in Los Alamos

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Thanks so much Zena! I’m thrilled that you plan to make it! You’re going to love it. WOW, if you could can this, you’re right – what a great Christmas gift! I’m not sure if it would change the texture or not. I’ve never canned green chile so I can’t honestly say. It might be worth it to give a small batch a try. If you do, let me know how it turns out.

26. Angie (@angiesrecipess) May 13, 2014 at 4:42 am #

I have never a relish using the combo of lime and green chillies. It looks so appetizing, MJ. Love those beautiful and bright clicks.

• mj May 13, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! I’m actually not sure if “relish” is the right word, but it seemed to fit. :)