Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread

A slightly sweet and delicious yeast bread with dried and candied fruits and nuts. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

My friend Giulia at Alterkitchen is always teasing me about the savory breakfasts that I and other Americans seem to like.  She has mentioned several times, that Italians like their sweet breakfasts – rolls, croissants, muffins, sweet cakes, and such.  Well, there are days that I, too, like something a little sweet to start the day.  Sometimes it’s just a slice of toast and jelly and other times I go all out and fix my favorite pancakes – Lemon Cornmeal Ricotta.  But for the past few week, it’s been this Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread.  A wonderful breakfast bread that makes a light and tasty breakfast.  Cut a thick slice, warm in the toaster and top with a touch of butter – no jam or jelly needed!

If you’ve had the Italian bread, Panettone, then you have an idea as to what I was going for when I started developing this recipe. I wanted something with a little more “grain” than Panettone, less fat, about the same sweetness, and a bread that worked with a variety of fruits and nuts.  This bread meets all of those requirements.  It’s so easy to make and is quite tasty with dried fruit and/or candied fruits and your favorite nuts.

The loaves that I have made thus far contain a mix of candied watermelon rind, preserved figs that had sugared in the refrigerator, and some dried cranberries.  My friend Su Anne, who graciously tested my recipe for me, used cranberries, dried apricots, and a bit of prunes.  Both of us used pecans for the nuts.  Every loaf came out very lovely and was enjoyed by all.

For more possible recipe variations, please see my Kitchen Notes.

Honey – If you use candied fruits like I did, then 1 Tbsp. honey is probably all you need.  However, with dried fruit or if you want the bread a little sweeter, you might want to increase the honey to 2 Tbsp.

Dried or Candied Fruit – One of the nice things about this fruit and nut bread is you can use pretty much whatever you have.  A mix of three different flavors is quite nice, so just open up the pantry and refrigerator and use what you have on hand.  I’m already planning on using dried cherries, candied watermelon rind (I made A LOT last year :) ), and dates with walnuts in the next loaf.

Nuts - Again, use what you have on hand and whatever complements the fruit.  For breads, you can’t beat pecans and walnuts, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use pinon or almond either, or possibly even a few sunflower seeds.

French Toast with Fruit and Nut Bread

French Toast made with Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread @MJsKitchen

Last weekend for Sunday Brunch, I used the last of a loaf of Fruit and Nut Bread to make French Toast.  Oh yeah – sounds good doesn’t it?  Well, it was!  I topped the French toast with some blueberries, warm maple syrup and for fun – a dollop of whipped cream.  We really didn’t need the whipped cream, but there was a little left in the can, so why not? :)  [Bob snap off this picture with his phone before he dug in.]

If you like this Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread, then you might also enjoy some of these breads:

Multigrain Sandwich Bread

Potato Stuffed Flatbread

Red Chile Garlic Bread

Cranberry Bread

Herb Bread

This Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread has been shared with the following blogs:  The Weekend Social   .

Tags: , ,

59 Responses to “Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread”

1. April @ The 21st Century Housewife June 16, 2014 at 10:33 am #

This is a lovely bread, MJ. It must smell amazing while it is cooking. I like the combination of flours you have used both for texture and flavour as well as nutrition. Your French Toast recipe using your Fruit and Nut Yeast Bread sounds mouthwatering as well! Pinned :-)

• mj June 17, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Thanks April! Yes, it does smell pretty amazing when it is baking, but then what bread doesn’t? :) This combination of flours has become my favorite for bread. It yields a great texture and flavor.

2. I am not Italian but I definitely like my sweet breakfast as well ;) I love the idea of bread with fruits. Yummy!

• mj June 13, 2014 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Marta!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

I love dried fruits and nuts in the bread! And I spread good quality butter on top. PERFECT breakfast!! I can only find good bread from popular bakeries around here (and not to mention expensive) but homemade would be an ideal choice for me. I really wish I have time to work on bread making! My morning would be so much happier with the nice bread… :D

• mj June 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm #

Good quality butter is a must! :) This has become my favorite breakfast bread. Hope you can find the time to make it someday. Thanks!

4. Sanjeeta kk June 7, 2014 at 4:00 am #

My..my..just look at that crust and the honey-combed texture of that gorgeous loaf! Even I am a savory breakfast person..but this loaf might change my views soon…

5. Terra June 3, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

Gorgeous! I have been itching to make homemade bread, maybe I need to this weekend! Your bread looks so hearty with all the fruit and nuts…..and looks delicious! Hugs, Terra

• mj June 5, 2014 at 7:04 am #

Thanks so much Terra! I hope you do get a chance to make it.

6. Asmita June 3, 2014 at 4:11 am #

Never attempted to make bread at home. This looks amazing. Would love a slice of it for breakfast.

• mj June 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

That surprises me that you don’t make your own bread. As much as you bake, I figured you made bread as well. Well, if you did, I would be willing to bet the loaves would be beautiful, much like your cookies! :)

7. Charles Smith May 31, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

Hi MJ – it’s really nice to see a fruit and nut *yeast* bread… everyone seems to be all about the baking powder for things like this these days. I used to buy a really nice one of these back many years ago when I lived in England – you’ve given me a good memory and reminded me of its existence with this post.

That French toast sure looks good too!

• mj June 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

Thanks so much Charles! I’m thrilled to have provided you with a good memory. :) I went the yeast route because I wanted something lighter than a quick bread. I’m glad I went that way because the result was marvelous.

8. Katerina May 27, 2014 at 1:18 am #

I would love to eat this bread with a generous dose of homemade marmalade! Delicious!

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks Katerina! Actually one could probably substitute marmalade for some of the candied fruit. :)

9. Raymund May 26, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

A very nice looking piece of bread, I love that fresh from the oven. I can just imagine a good butter melting on it

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks Raymund! Butter is a must on any fresh warm bread or tortillas for that matter. :)

10. Ramona May 26, 2014 at 10:07 am #

This bread sounds wonderful…. makes me want to buy some yeast and get some bread made soon. :)

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

You don’t have any yeast? :) I always have yeast so feel free to stop buy and pick some up any time.

11. Zena Thomas May 25, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

Looks great! I am assuming this is a high altitude recipe that would work here in Los Alamos. Can’t wait to try it.

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

Thanks Zena! And yes, this is a high altitude recipe so it will work in Los Alamos. Sorry for the delay in replying but B and I just got back from a week in Abiquiu where we stayed off the computers. :)

12. Vicki Bensinger May 25, 2014 at 8:06 am #

Everyone seems to be making bread lately. This loaf though sounds wonderful. I rarely make bread that often but definitely plan to try this!

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks Vicki! Be careful – once you start making bread, no one will be able to eat storebought. :)

13. Carol at Wild Goose Tea May 23, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

I have been craving French toast. This really puts in the mood. I have a delightful 3 day holiday with NO plans—-and I hope none develop. For a working woman—of course what woman doesn’t work—Ha—That is a luxury. I have been thinking about little treats—not just food—that I will give myself. The picture with all the dots of fruits and nuts is very appealing. Made me think of spumoni ice cream, which of course is not even the same kingdom as bread.

14. Carol at Wild Goose Tea May 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

Oh my what a special French toast. I have been craving it lately. Thus its on my list
    for treats this weekend. A three day weekend with NO plans either. A luxury for a working woman. I am jazzed. Hence thinking ahead of what kind of treats I would like for my special time. The delicate dots of fruit and nuts really is visually appealing.

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Thanks so much Carol! I hope you enjoyed your French toast this weekend. It’s definitely a long weekend brunch.

15. Nancy@SpicieFoodie May 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

As if I didn’t already miss baking and eating nearly a whole loaf of fresh baked bread myself, here is this gorgeous bread of yours. MJ, I love the recipe and can imagine how delicious it tastes. The french toasts looks incredible too! I have to go back and read the candied watermelon rind recipe. Have a great weekend!

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks Nancy! My baking bread days are about to be put temporarily on hold with the hotter weather moving in. So far, we’re still in the 80s but the 90s and 100s are knocking on our doorstep. The French toast is incredible. :)

16. Angie (@angiesrecipess) May 23, 2014 at 8:34 am #

I love love homemade bread! This looks so good, MJ. I will go for the dried fruits.

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

You’re the Queen of homemade bread Angie! Your breads always look SO good making you my inspiration! :)

17. Ann Low May 22, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

I love sweet bread for morning breakfast. As they’re delicious that I don’t need to spread jam on it. Definitely love to try your recipe :)

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks Ann! This bread definitely doesn’t need any jam.

18. wok with ray May 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

There are times when I like my breakfast and my bread a little sweeter too like having Spanish bread or even Hawaiian bread. I love how you baked that loaf with those crust on the top — that is one delicious bread, MJ. :)

• mj May 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks so much Ray! The higher starting temperature and long baking time for this bread do cause the crust to darken more than normal, but it’s still good. :)

19. Choc Chip Uru May 21, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

This bread looks perfect for a breakfast out on the balcony, enjoy it :D!!

Choc Chip Uru

20. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 21, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

I like a sweet breakfast every now and then so this would be sweet enough and healthy enough to attract my full attention!

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

Thanks Maureen!

21. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles May 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

Generally if I start my day with sweets, I’m ready for a nap by 10 am ;-) but understood, a little sweetness on a special occasion (I quite like almond croissants on my birthday for instance :) ) is always welcome. Your loaf looks lovely dotted with the pretty fruit here and there. What a great way to use up your candied watermelon rind (I made *a lot* last year – heeheeh) — and the French toast… oh my… aren’t berries just gorgeous this time of year – yay berry season!

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Thanks Kelly! To be honest, I’m not a big breakfast eater at all so during this week, a nice piece of toast suits me jus fine.

22. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz May 21, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

MJ the bread looks fantastic. This is just what I love in the morning, toasted and buttered as you said. I had tasted pickled watermelon rind but not candied, sounds interesting. I have to say I am more into sweets than savory for breakfast, except weekend brunch lol.

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Thanks Evelyn! It’s interesting because on the weekend we go for eggs, huevos rancheros, and such. During the week, I eat smaller breakfasts where a piece of toast is just fine.

23. Debra May 21, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

I love breakfast breads and this would be ideal (as you say) for French toast. I haven’t baked in a while and this recipe is definitely putting me in the mood!

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks Debra! The French toast turned out so very good!

24. Gloria May 21, 2014 at 11:04 am #

Loved the texture of this delicious bread.. Looks so perfectly baked dear..

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

Thanks so mc Gloria!

25. Donalyn@TheCreeksideCook May 21, 2014 at 10:53 am #

MJ this looks so good – I love slightly sweet yeast breads and I am imagining this toasted with some nice fresh butter slathered over it – thanks for a great recipe!

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

Thank you Donalyn! You definitely don’t need any more than a good butter.

26. Zsuzsa May 21, 2014 at 9:44 am #

Peach Lady these are times I am so grateful for my life opening up different ways of looking at things – this bread has so many possibilities and so different from what I grew up with. I would love to try it.

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

Thanks so much Zsuzsa! I know what you mean about opening up to new things. It’s so much fun!

27. John@Kitchen Riffs May 21, 2014 at 9:40 am #

Love the combo of flours in this bread! That alone would be enough flavor for me. But with the nuts and fruits? Sounds wonderful. We often make stollen at Christmas time, which is similar (sweeter, though). This looks like a better choice for the rest of the year, however. Really nice — thanks.

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks John! Oh I love the combination of flours. It has actually become my standard for just about all the bread I’ve been making recently.

28. Judy @Savoring Today May 21, 2014 at 7:41 am #

I love texture to my bread, just like I have to have ‘stuff’ in my ice cream. This sounds wonderful.

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

Thanks Judy! I’m with you on the texture thing. Just had some ice cream with chocolate pieces in it. :)

29. Sissi May 21, 2014 at 6:37 am #

Or maybe even with your chile and lime relish??? and cheese too?

30. Sissi May 21, 2014 at 6:37 am #

MJ, I cannot stomach sweet breakfast…. It just makes me still hungry. Actually I never have breakfast early because I get hungry at least two hours after my morning coffee and it’s usually something small even then, but when I’m on holidays it’s different: I loved Japanese savoury breakfasts in Tokyo! (Today I had a small late breakfast: a bowl of miso soup).
    Anyway, your bread looks fabulous and I’m sure it would be fantastic with some cheese or chorizo :-)

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Oh Sissi, we are so much alike! I’m up at least 2 hours before I feel like eating, so my breakfast is actually more of a brunch. On the weekend I fix a traditional brunch but during the week, a nice slice of this bread around 10 am is perfect. A bowl of miso sounds pretty good as well. :)

31. Vicki Bensinger May 21, 2014 at 6:36 am #

Ooh MJ this sounds heavenly. I adore Pannetone but never took the time to make it. Your bread sounds healthier and hearty. I don’t think I’ve ever tried dried watermelon rind, I will have to check that out. Great recipe. Looking forward to trying it.

• mj May 21, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks Vicki! The watermelon rind is actually candied, not dried. It adds a little sweetness to the bread.