Strawberry Rhubarb Jello

Strawberry Jello made with the water from stewed rhubarb mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

This Strawberry Rhubarb Jello is such an easy dessert that I hesitated posting it and also because it’s jello. :) However, since I have made it several times and we love it, why not?  About once every 2 to 3 months I get a craving for jello ( I guess it takes me back to my childhood), and this is the one I’ve been making for a couple of years now.

There is not a whole lot to say about it…all it takes is a box of your favorite strawberry gelatin dessert powder and some fresh or frozen rhubarb to cook down for rhubarb juice. As with most gelatin desserts, a hot liquid is required.  Therefore, just cook down 2 cups rhubarb in 3 cups liquid, strain and use the strained rhubarb juice as your hot liquid.

For the powder, I’ve used both the 6 ounce Strawberry Jello and the 3 ounce Natural Desserts Strawberry Jel Dessert. The Natural Desserts only requires 2 cups hot liquid and makes 4 servings, while the Jello brand requires 2 cups hot and 2 cups cold liquid and makes 8 servings.  With both brands, the rhubarb juice adds its flavor to the strawberry for a delicious little strawberry-rhubarb flavored dessert.  And if you want, you can always stir in fresh strawberries to fancy it up a bit.

Turn a boring box of Strawberry Jello into a delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Jello dessert. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

Since there are no Kitchen Notes  for this recipe, I’m sharing a couple of pictures of the 50+ year old wisteria bush in our front yard.  Due to late freezes in previous years, this is the first time it has bloomed since 2008.  Isn’t it gorgeous?  I wish the pictures were scratch and sniff because it smells wonderful and the bees love it.

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria) Bush in bloom mjskitchen.com

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria) mjskitchen.com

Pictures taken by Bobby with his iPhone.

Tags: , ,

64 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Jello”

1. Kalliope April 30, 2014 at 3:38 am #

Λαχταριστό το ζελέ ,αλλά πραγματικό στολίδι είναι ο πανέμορφος θάμνος που έχετε στην αυλή σας! (Delicious jelly, but the real gem is the beautiful shrub that you have in your yard!)

• mj April 30, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Thanks so much Kalliope!

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 29, 2014 at 1:33 am #

I wasn’t a big jelly fan for a long time (I like crunchy, crispy texture in general) but for the past several years, oh I can’t live without gelatin/agar agar desserts especially in summer! It was a “lighter” dessert option, but soon I started to experiment more and it’s been fun. Love your GORGEOUS color of jello, MJ! This is a popular dessert in summer party!

• mj April 29, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Thanks Nami! I agree, that other than ice cream, a jelly dessert makes a wonderful summer treat!! I served this at a dinner party the other night and it was a big hit!

3. Charles Smith April 19, 2014 at 6:15 am #

Mmm, it’s getting to that season! I love jello (or jelly as we call it in England). Everyone shuns it because they say it’s “kid’s food” but I disagree. Sure, the luminous green junk you make from a packet is just bad, but homemade jelly from fresh, beautiful ingredients can be just wonderful. This looks delightful MJ. Have you ever made a wine jelly? I usually use a blackcurrant jelly as the base and then use wine, or wine and water to make it up… depending on how alcoholic you want it to be :D

• mj April 30, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Thanks Charles! No, I have never made a wine jelly but it sounds quite interesting especially with the blackcurrant base. I saw a coffee jelly at Nami’s the other day and it looked interesting as well. Sounds like I have more jellies to try out. :)

4. ChgoJohn April 18, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

I’ve a wisteria in my yard, too, MJ. It took 7 years for it to bloom and now it is just fantastic. Love the scent!
    Sorry to say, I’m not at all a fan of rhubarb but I know of a certain Lady in Michigan who is wild about it. This recipe is right up her alley, as she would say. I’ll be forwarding your recipe to her. Thanks for sharing. :)

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

The scent is hypnotic isn’t it? Thank you for forwarding my link to your friend! :)

5. burberry sacs April 18, 2014 at 11:32 am #

Greetings! I’ve been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great job!|

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

thanks so much!

6. Raymund April 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

This is a nice idea, never had thought of using rhubarb on jellos

7. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 15, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

Wow, your wisteria bush is incredible! Isn’t it remarkable to think that it hasn’t flowered in 6 years and yet… there it is, right in front of you today. That just has to be good fortune :). I love how you’ve incorporated fresh, seasonal fruit into this dessert MJ. The rhubarb must be positively gorgeous in this. I’m thinking agar-agar could also work beautifully here (or unflavored/coloured gelatin) in place of jello ;-) together with your delightful fruit. Lovely!

• mj April 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Thanks Kelly! And yes, it was good fortune this year. There were some nights that came really close to freezing the buds, but @ 32 F, the buds and blooms just survived. The rhubarb did work great with the strawberry. I do plan to try it with the agar agar. Sissi made a Rhubarb wobbly last year that I’ve been wanting to try. Oh there are SO many dishes I want to try. :) Thank goodness for Pinterest. At least I can store them all in one place. :)

8. Nancy-SpicieFoodie April 15, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

I’m glad you shared the recipe MJ! Hubby has been craving jello and now I know which to prepare for him. Your wisteria is gorgeous!

9. nipponnin April 15, 2014 at 11:18 am #

The color is very attractive! I actually love jello…so soothing to my belly. Adding rhubarb in jellos is interesting twist.

Beautiful wisteria!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Thanks Darlin! The rhubarb does make it a very interesting jello.

10. Asmita April 15, 2014 at 11:08 am #

Lovely! Love the bright red color too!

11. Ramona April 15, 2014 at 5:05 am #

What a fun recipe… everyone has room for jello. :) Love the flowers too. :)

12. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen April 13, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

Who doesn’t get a craving for Jell-O?? We always get a craving for it, however since I rarely see rhubarb here, it’s something we don’t mix in our jell-o. I hope I ssee rhubarb in the supermarket so i can try this.

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

Good to hear that others get the same craving. I would think that your girls love it. :) Sorry that rhubarb isn’t available in your area. We love it so much that we bought 3 plants to put in the garden this year. Thanks for stopping by Darlin!

13. John W April 13, 2014 at 8:59 am #

Haven’t had Jello in years. It is such a fun childhood food memory.

That wisteria vine is just gorgeous this spring. We had a wisteria vine in the backyard as kids. I still remember the wonderful scents the blooms offered. Lots of honeybees and bumble bees enjoyed it as well.

Very much a ‘childhood memories’ food post for me. Thank you for the outstanding photos and enjoy your day.

• mj April 13, 2014 at 11:02 am #

So glad to be able to stir up some fun childhood memories John!! I remember having jello a few times at your house, but I don’t remember the wisteria. I’m going to have to show B your comments because he gave me a very hard time about posting a Jello post, :) Thanks so much for the comments Darlin! Hugs, MJ

14. Treat and Trick April 12, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

I too love jello but never tried rhubarb in it. As always, amazing photos MJ…

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Thanks so much Darlin! The rhubarb definitely adds another dimension to boring jello. :)

15. Adri April 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

I have never tried rhubarb jello. I bet it is delicious. It certainly looks beautiful!

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:56 am #

Thanks Adri!

16. Liz April 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

It sounds FABULOUS!!! I love the idea of adding tart rhubarb to the sweet strawberries. And your photos are exquisite!

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Thanks so much Liz!! I was actually surprised at how hard Jello is to photograph! :)

17. Zsuzsa April 12, 2014 at 8:52 am #

Well they both look lovely Peach lady! I am not a jello fan, but the Rhubarb juice could change that. :-)

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:51 am #

Thanks so much Zsuzsa!

18. Carol at Wild Goose Tea April 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

First off, I love the photo of that gorgeous splendid wisteria. We are having a wonderful spring here in the Pacific NW. But is not wisteria time yet. You’re funny about your jello blog. However you jello is waaaaaaaaay beyond any regular jello.
    Isn’t it too a beautiful color in its special serving dish.

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:50 am #

Thanks so much Carol!!! The jello certainly isn’t boring. :) I wasn’t sure if wisteria could even grown in the Pacific NW. I guess that bloom in May instead of March/April. I wish ours would bloom later, but I can’t control nature. :)

19. Swathi April 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

Awesome my kids will love this. I am going to make it what a nice color MJ

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:44 am #

Thanks Swathi! I hope they enjoy it!

20. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz April 11, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

What a gorgeous wisteria bush! Too funny, a friend did the jello experiment while I did my liver experiment. She hates(d) jello. But we have a deal that at the end she would cook me liver and I would make a jello dessert recipe. Just found it lol!

• mj April 13, 2014 at 10:43 am #

Thanks Evelyne! Wish you could smell it. :) That is funny about you and your friend, I know I’ve been following your liver experiment. I’d love the check our your friend’s jello experiment. Would you send me the link?

21. Minnie@thelady8home April 10, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

Spring flowers!! Beautiful!! And beautiful shots to celebrate it with too!!

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Thanks Minnie! :)

22. Debra April 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

I love wisteria! Ours is only about 15 years old, but I love it just the same. So, ironically I had jello in the cafeteria for lunch. I am certain it was not as good as yours!!!!!!!!!

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Wisteria is gorgeous not matter how old it is. I’m amazed ours has lasted this long and still does so well. Make me wonder how long they normally live. Thanks for your nice comments Debra!

23. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 10, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

I love the wisteria. It was my father’s favorite but he could never grow it in Maine. In his honor I planted wisteria all over the arbor covering the walkway around our old house. It blossomed beautifully every year.

I’ve never had strawberry rhubarb jello but I’m quite sure I’ll love it.

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Oh I could definitely see how they don’t do well in Maine. :) What a sweet daughter to plant one in his honor. I bet your arbor is gorgeous when it’s in bloom and afterwards as well. It’s a gorgeous plant even without the blooms.

24. ATasteOfMadness April 10, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

I love the strawberry rhubarb combo! This might be my excuse to FINALLY buy some rhubarb

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

It’s a great excuse!!! Thanks!

25. Donalyn@The Creekside Cook April 10, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

I think that school lunches put me off Jello for life, but maybe I should try it again. The only place I encounter it much these days is at church suppers, when, as a friend is indicating that they made a certain dish, I am obligated to take a spoonful. Which is how I found two jello-things that I did like, one being pina-colada [though sans the rum I imagine] and one that was a rhubarb-strawberry concoction. They didn’t stain out the fruit though. Anyway – I might have to give this one a try! And totally jealous of the wisteria – they will survive here, but rarely [never?] bloom because of frost. They smell like heaven!

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Donalyn – I know what you mean. It was always the dessert in the school lunch line and after eating some of the “interesting” desserts that the church would bring to potlucks, it’s amazing that I still love it. But to be honest, I like the simple jello with no fruit pieces. That’s probably because I love swishing it through my teeth. :)

26. April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 10, 2014 at 10:19 am #

I’m so glad you did share this recipe, MJ, it sounds fantastic! What a lovely way to make jello extra special. And your wisteria is amazing!!

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks so much April!! It doesn’t make Jello special. :)

27. Angie (@angiesrecipess) April 10, 2014 at 10:12 am #

I have never had rhubarb jello! It looks so refreshing, MJ.

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks Angie! Rhubarb is not something you can buy, but it’s so easy to make.

28. Gloria April 10, 2014 at 1:18 am #

please pass me that glass …looks so delish…

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks Gloria!

29. wok with ray April 9, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

Jello is always a great snack. I sometimes add fruit cocktails in it or just pineapple tidbits. Very nice shot of the glass of jello there my friend. :)

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks for much Ray!! My mother always added fruit cocktail to jello as well. It was great!

30. Terra April 9, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

Oh I adore Wisteria, love Springtime, and all the flowers!!! Easy or not, everyone loves delicious recipes:-) This sounds fabulous, perfect snack! Hugs, Terra

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

Thanks Terra! Spring has really hit here and because we didn’t have that late freeze, the flowers and fruit trees are loaded with blooms! It’s beautiful!

31. Sissi April 9, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

Oh, I have forgotten to add that I have never seen a wisteria and only now I see how beautiful it is! I have Japanese incense (several different scents) and there is a wisteria one. It’s amazing! One of my favourite. Though I suppose it must smell 100 x better in nature. I imagine you smelling the wisteria every time you pass by…

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

The bush is right in front of the living room window where I work in the mornings, so the smell flows into the house filling the whole house. It’s wonderful!

32. Sissi April 9, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

MJ, you read my mind… Today I have almost bought my first rhubarb to make rhubarb drink but decided it was not red enough (you know, some varieties are mostly green… but I prefer the deep red ones). Your jelly (is “jello” something different or is it the same?) looks so beautifully refreshing! I must say I used to hate jelly as a child, but now I love slightly trembling, wobbly ones and I do one very similar with rhubarb juice too! I prepare it with agar actually (I posted it last year I think). Your photograph makes me dream of hot summer days…

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! Jello is actually a brand name, so “jelly” or gelatin dessert is the more correct terminology. However, here in the states “Jello” is pretty much the term for any gelatin dessert or wobbly. :) I do remember your rhubarb wobbly from last year. It’s on my list to make next. In fact, today we went to the nursery and bought 3 Rhubarb plants. Next year we’ll be able to pick it right out of the back yard. YAY!

33. Vicki Bensinger April 9, 2014 at 10:48 am #

I love jello. It’s really so refreshing and light and perfect to have when you’re not feeling too great either. How creative to add the Rhubarb to it. Great idea and so versatile for so many other creative jello dishes.

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks Vicki! I agree about it being a cure for an ailment. Jello and chicken noodle soup are my old standbys for sickness comfort food.

34. John@Kitchen Riffs April 9, 2014 at 10:00 am #

NiceJello shots! (Sorry.) That’s such a fun subject to photograph (and you did it so well) — I’ve sometimes thought of doing something Jello-related just for the photo op. ;-) Anyway, this looks great! We have Jello from time-to-time too (that childhood thing). Fun post — thanks.

• mj April 10, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks John! I wish I could say that the photo shoot was fun. It was actually quite challenging and somewhat frustrating, so I greatly appreciate your nice comments. I’d love to see what you do with jello. I’m sure it would blow me away!