Green Chile Pathiri with Pinon Nuts and Queso Fresco

Green chile stacked with crepes (Pathiri), pine nuts (pinon) and queso fresco. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

This Green Chile Pathiri is a dish that I have had in my head and have been wanting to make for a very long time, so I was thrilled when I saw that April’s Daring Cook’s Challenge was to make a savory Pathiri.

What is Pathiri?  Pathiri is an Indian dish that is made by alternating crepes with a sweet or savory filling.  The crepes are normally made with rice flour and dipped in coconut milk or brushed with ghee during assembly.  This process is very similar to the one I use for stacked enchiladas, just different ingredients.  For enchiladas instead of rice flour crepes, corn tortillas are dipped in green or red chile sauce and alternated with a savory filling and cheese.

Joanna from What’s On The List introduced the Daring Cooks to the Pathiri and the process for making it.  She then challenged us to create our own version of this inspirational Indian dish.  What a perfect challenge!  So for this Green Chile Pathiri, instead of rice flour crepes dipped in coconut milk, I made unbleached flour crepes then dipped them in egg when assembling.  For the filling – roasted, whole New Mexico green chiles from my friends at the Hatch Chile Store, toasted pinon nuts, olives, and queso fresco.  The result was such a wonderful fusion of cultures and flavors. And although it was time consuming, but not at all difficult, this is definitely a dish that I will be making again.

Green chile stacked with crepes, pine nuts (pinon) and queso fresco. mjskitchen.com @MJsKitchen

Crepes – This is pretty much the same crepe recipe that I used for my Apple Pecan Crepes. However, in order to get thinner and lighter crepes, I decreased the amount of flour and increased the amount of milk.  It’s important that the crepes are as thin as possible to keep this dish from being heavy with thick crepes.

Green Chiles - As with any dish that uses a lot of green chile, the chile is the star of the show; therefore, I’d like to thank the Hatch Chile Store in southern New Mexico for the wonderful Hatch green chile that went into this dish.  The chile was meaty, spicy, and extremely tasty.  Even though it came frozen, it tasted like freshly roasted green chile.  Because this dish uses SO much chile, it’s important that the chile be flavorful and not too hot.  Therefore,  mild to medium green chile is best.  You could also use poblano chile in place of New Mexico green if that’s what you have available.

Queso Fresco – The queso fresco was a really nice cheese for this pathiri, however, it didn’t melt like I expected it to.  The flavor was awesome, but I would have liked it to have softened more.  If you can’t find queso fresco, then substitute a mild feta or feta-like cheese.

Other notes and things I might do differently next time:

• I didn’t use the Kalamata olives in this pathiri, but I did add them to the recipe because it needed them.  Originally, I used them as a side but Bobby and I both thought they would be incorporated into the dish.
  • Don’t be tempted to chop the green chile.  It was great getting pieces of chile in each bite.  However, this does make it challenging to cut, so be sure to use a very sharp knife so you can cut through the chile rather than pull it out from between the crepes as you cut.
  • As I mentioned before, the queso fresco didn’t melt much, so next time I’ll add just a touch of grated Monterey Jack to each layer to help hold the layers together.
  • Some pathiri recipes say to flip, but by baking it in the oven in a cast iron skillet, it browned up nicely and there was no need to flip it.
  • The standard New Mexico salad of tomatoes and lettuce was a great accompaniment to this pathiri.  It definitely didn’t anything more.

This Green Chile Pathiri would be great for Sunday brunch, Meatless Mondays, or for any meatless meal.

For more recipe that use New Mexico green chiles, check out my green chile category.

FetishWorthyFoodx225Wybr_Button

Tags: , ,

76 Responses to “Green Chile Pathiri with Pinon Nuts and Queso Fresco”

1. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 29, 2014 at 1:29 am #

I’ve never tried Pathiri before, and it was fun reading this recipe, MJ! The layers are so beautiful and neat!

2. Bill April 26, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Wow! I’m loving this recipe, MJ. I’ve never heard of pathiri and you version is so imaginative. I love the fusion of your southwest flavors! Beautiful photos as well. Gonna keep this recipe to try!

3. Terra April 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

I have never heard of a Pathiri, but now I want one. Love your version, all the flavors together are my favorite. Thanks for being descriptive in the recipe, and for sharing some substitutions. Your recipe looks amazing, Hugs, Terra

4. Karen (Back Road Journal) April 23, 2014 at 11:21 am #

It may have taken a while to put together but the taste of your pathiri must have been terrific with your green chilies and queso fresco. The photo of the slice is great.

5. Liz April 22, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Oh, my. Crepes, cheese and peppers? This pathiri looks amazing!!!

6. Charles Smith April 19, 2014 at 6:55 am #

Goodness, I’ve never heard of a pathiri – thanks for introducing me to it. It looks just fantastic. I’m going to pin it so I’ll remember about it later because I bet my wife would love this too!

• mj April 30, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

Thanks so much Charles! Bobby is a huge fan of it, so I know I’ll be making it again.

7. ChgoJohn April 18, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

Sorry, MJ, to have been absent for so long. I just realized that something is amiss. I’ll spare you the details but suffice it to say that I’m no longer getting notification of your posts. I’ve tried to unsubscribe and subscribe again in an effort to clear things up. I’;ll find out soon enough and will try to remember to check here for posts, in the meantime.
    Anyway, this sure is a great-looking dish, MJ. I’ve never made crepes but this dish may tempt me to give them a try. I like, too, your suggested changes. As good as it looks, I bet seeing it ooze melted cheese would up the appeal factor by 10!

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Hey John!!! Sorry to learn that you’re having problems with your subscription. I’ll send you a private email and make sure things have been fixed. Thanks for your comments on the pathiri. It’s a really fabulous dish!

8. Vicki Bensinger April 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

MJ this is beautiful and wow does it sound tasty. What a creative recipe and so full of flavor. I wonder if you added a touch of milk or cream to the queso fresco and put it on the stove you’d get it to melt and then add it like a thick sauce. Do you think that would work?

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

Thanks so much Vicki! Originally, I was thinking of using a bechamel sauce in place of the egg dip, but changed because I thought it might be too heavy. I love your idea of just using melted queso fresco in cream. Need to try that next time. Thanks!

9. Carol at Wild Goose Tea April 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

I am part of the crowd that has never heard to pathiri. I love Indian food. But the closest Indian restaurant is an hr or more away. So it’s a treat for me. I also love crepes. This version did fit perfectly with what you did with it. It looks fancy and special. Plus what a wonderful conversation piece as well, when you are serving it.

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks so much Carol! You are so right – it definitely makes a great conversation piece as well as an awesome meal. :)

10. Zsuzsa April 18, 2014 at 8:52 am #

I almost didn’t click on this there it goes chili again. I cannot eat chili peppers, my gut won’t like it, but this dish looks fascinating, sweet and savory and in layers, how brilliant! Your photos as always amazing Peach Lady

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

I’m so glad you decided to come by as always Zsuzsa! I can see some of your favorite ingredients being used as the filling of a pathiri. Thanks for your sweet comments on the photos! :)

11. Amy April 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

You took a really challenging dish and made it look just divine. Way to rise to the challenge!

• mj April 21, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks so much Amy!

12. Deena Kakaya April 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

I am enjoying the fusion element of this dish as well as the depth, heartiness and I imagine how much fun this recipe is to devour x

• mj April 17, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Thanks Deena!! It was fun to make and to devour. :)

13. Minnie@thelady8home April 17, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Wow! Pathri can be a very tough dish to make, and looks like you have done marvelously!! This looks so flavorful….and the chilies…OMG, I am dying to have a bite.

• mj April 17, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

Thanks so much Minnie!! You obviously have make one before. I didn’t really find it “hard”, but it was very laborious – but well worth it. :)

14. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz April 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

An ultimate fusion dish example! I want to make pathiri now too. Just love your own creation with your local flavors.

• mj April 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

Thanks Evelyn! It was definitely a non-traditional green chile dish, but the chile was still the star of the show. :)

15. easyfoodsmith April 16, 2014 at 5:46 am #

I love your twist on the classic Pathiri. I had heard of this dish but never come across a recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

• mj April 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks so much!

16. Hotly Spiced April 16, 2014 at 5:19 am #

This is a great looking dish, MJ. I love crepes! What a great and tasty looking dish xx

• mj April 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks so much Charlie!

17. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles April 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Wow, MJ, this looks incredible! I love your version of Pathiri — and there was never any doubt in my mind what direction you would take it in ;-). That second photo really shows off the layers gorgeously! It must be seriously delicious, am I right? (not a leftover to be found? :) ).

• mj April 16, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

Yep – when she said to make one that reflects your tastes, it wasn’t hard was it? :) And yes, it was seriously delicious! It was so big and filling that it did make two meals for Bobby and I, but that was great because it made the amount of effort to make it well worth it.

18. Joanne T Ferguson April 15, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

G’day What a GREAT combination MJ!!! Well done and thank you soooooooooooo much for completing this month’s Daring Kitchen Cooks Challenge! It was a pleasure being host and let’s look forward to next month’s challenge too!
    Thank you!
    Great photos!
    Cheers! Joanne

• mj April 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

Thanks so much Joanne! It was a great challenge, and I appreciate all of your help!

19. Nancy-SpicieFoodie April 15, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Pathiri is a new dish to me and I love your version — you nailed the challenge! Now I’m really craving these crepes:)

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks Nancy! It was fun but quite a challenge.

20. Choc Chip Uru April 15, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

I am pining away for this, green chillis and I are best friends :D
    It looks flaky and wonderful!

Choc Chip Uru

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks so much Uru!

21. Sissi April 15, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

I have never heard of pathiri, but now I don’t think I will forget it! This crêpe layered cake looks gorgeous (I hope you don’t mind my down-to-earth comparison but it makes me think of a savoury spicy birthday cake….). I am sure if I ever make it I won’t post it because I cannot imagine obtaining such an aesthetic result. Gorgeous!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

Of course I don’t mind you making that comparison. In fact, I love it! Thanks! Oh Sissi, don’t cut yourself short. You do a beautiful job with all of your dishes. It took quite an effort to come out with these results, and it was worth it.

22. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

PERFECT for Sunday brunch. I am a lover of pine nuts and everything about this pathiri makes me happy.

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks Maureen! It did put a smile on our faces for two meals. :)

23. Gloria April 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

Wow! Just look at that..looks so inviting..very innovative dear.

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks Gloria!

24. Andrea - 4Pure April 15, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Wow, a lot of chili’s in your dish. We’re not used to use that much around here. That would be a challenge for us :-). Love your photos it sure looks great!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

Yep – there is a lot of chile in this dish. :) We eat a lot of chile here in New Mexico and we eat it in large quantities. :) Thanks for your sweet comments Andrea!

25. nipponnin April 15, 2014 at 11:08 am #

This is fascinating dish. I never heard the word pathiri before either. Looks interesting and beautiful as well.

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Thanks so much! I hadn’t heard the work pathiri either until this challenge.

26. Asmita April 15, 2014 at 11:07 am #

Wow MJ,
    I am beyond impressed! This dish looks phenomenal!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

You’re very sweet Asmita! After seeing what you do with your cookies, I’m quite flattered by your comment.

27. Angie (@angiesrecipess) April 15, 2014 at 10:21 am #

Your pathiri looks perfect, MJ. I can’t wait to give it a try too!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! It was quite a challenge, but a fun one. :)

28. Aisha April 15, 2014 at 9:38 am #

woooooooow… your pathiri looks delicous!! And the pics are beautiful!!!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks so much Aisha!! Thanks for stopping by. :)

29. Soni April 15, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Believe it or not I’ve never had Pathiri before since I hail from North India but it sounds absolutely delicious with some lovely flavors!!!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

Thanks Soni! The pathiri is obviously not a dish that’s found all over India. But I know it’s going to become a common dish here in my New Mexican home. :)

30. Ramona April 15, 2014 at 5:03 am #

This crepe and chili pathiri looks amazing. I am sorry for not having visited in a while… I think I need to resign up to your blog… I have not been getting my usual email notifications. :( Now I must see what I have been missing….

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks Ramona! I’ve missing you Darlin! Hope you’re doing well.

31. Katerina April 15, 2014 at 3:39 am #

So many bold flavors! I love this stuck of different layers!

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Thanks Katerina! The layering is pretty cool. It was fun making it.

32. wok with ray April 14, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

I love Indian food but I’ve never had pathiri before but I would say. . . that is an amazing stack of deliciousness there. Have a good week MJ. :)

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks Ray! I had never had it before as well, but now I’m hooked. I can’t wait to try other versions.

33. Zena Thomas April 14, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

This looks beautiful and sounds delish! Thanks for this great recipe, I have green chili in my freezer and can’t wait to try this.

• mj April 15, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

Thanks so much Zena! If you do make it, please let me know how you like it. Cheers, MJ

34. Debra April 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Another great use for that stash of green chile powder.

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

You betcha! :)

35. Jodee Weiland April 14, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

Wow! This looks so fabulously delicious! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I would love to bite into this right now…thanks for sharing! I seriously have to make this one!

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:25 pm #

Thanks so much Jodee! I do hope you get a chance to make. You’ll love it!

36. Swathi April 14, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Pathiri is common dish on north kerala, my home state, I like your fusion, Lovely.

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

Thanks Swathi! I bet you may a dynamite pathiri!

37. John@Kitchen Riffs April 14, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Wow, what a creative dish! I love anything Indian so this is really appealing. Love the fusion going on in this recipe — really good stuff. Thanks so much.

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks so much John! There were some really creative pathiris made for this challenge. I’m sure you’ll run into some of them in your surfing.

38. SeattleDee April 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

I love your filling choice – the colors AND flavors are compelling. Yes to including black olives next time (though I’d be tempted to make corn tortillas instead of crepes).

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

Thanks so much Dee! I actually tried making the crepes using masa but it was a total failure so I decided to stick with flour and it turn about great! I love your pathiri!

39. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania April 14, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

I am an Indian myself and I had no idea that it is an Indian dish. Pathiri looks wonderful and yes, I am sure it would taste really good. Looks like I have to make Pathiri soon!

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks Purabi! I didn’t know it was Indian until I saw the challenge either. :) I always referred to it as stacked crepes. I can see that India is like the U.S. – different regions have different dishes.

40. The Wimpy Vegetarian April 14, 2014 at 11:19 am #

I absolutely love this, MJ. I’ve never heard of a pathiri, and you’ve made me very curious about this dish. I’m pinning right now to make it your way. I love the variety of southwestern dishes you do with chiles !!

• mj April 14, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks so much Susan! I hope you do get a chance to make it in your new kitchen! :)

1. 17 Reasons Why You Should Be Curious About Pathiri | What's On The List? - April 21, 2014

[…] Sauce shared she thought “this would be fun!” MJ from MJ’s Kitchen shared Green Chile Pathiri with Pinon Nuts and Queso Fresco shared “although it was time consuming, but not at all difficult, this is definitely a […]