Beans and Rice with Sausage – An Easy One Pot Meal

A quick and easy beans and rice dish. Prep to service - less than 45 minutes! mjskitchen.com

Beans and Rice is one of those meals that can be time-consuming and dirty up a lot of dishes, or it can be quick and easy.  This Beans and Rice recipe made with pinto beans and sausage is quick and easy to make, delicious and a quick cleanup.  You can change it up every time you make it, switching out the type of beans or sausage, or even making it meatless.  Or you can hit on that one combination that you love and make it over and over again.  Either way – it makes a very easy and delicious meal when it’s one of those nights that you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen but you want something hearty to eat.  Start to service, this dish is less than 45 minutes!

In this particular beans and rice dish, I combined pinto beans and andouille sausage.  I had made a pot of pinto beans a couple days before and had some leftover in the refrigerator.  However, you could also used canned beans.  I was planning on using chorizo, but didn’t have any (or just couldn’t find it in the freezer) so I added 2 links of andouille instead.  It was quite good, and appropriate for this time of year (being Mardi Gras time and all), but honestly, my preference is Mexican chorizo with pintos.

The main thing about the recipe, is its versatility.  The vegetable base is the Louisiana trinity – onion, celery and bell pepper; however, you can substitute your favorite chile for the bell pepper (imagine that).  For the rest of the dish use your favorite beans with a complementary meat or meat substitute and some rice.  Voila – supper’s ready!  Be sure to check out the Kitchen Notes for few variations that you can play with.

Variations of Beans and Sausage:

• Pinto Beans and Mexican chorizo
  • Black Beans and Mexican chorizo
  • Red Beans and Andouille
  • White Beans and Smoked Ham or Italian Sausage
  • (vegan) Black Beans and Mushrooms
  • The sausage can also be chicken or turkey, vegetarian or vegan

For smoked sausage, saute for only 2 minutes after sauteing the vegetables.  It’s already cooked and if you saute it too long, it can dry it out and make it tough.  For raw sausage or mushrooms, saute for about 4 to 5 minutes after sauteing the vegetables.

The Roasted Chile Pepper – You can use just about any pepper you want in this recipe – bell pepper, roasted New Mexico chile pepper, poblano or whatever you have in your region of the world.  Just remember that the pepper you use might require a little spice adjustment to add more heat or reduce it.

The Red Chile Paste – Every time I make a batch of red chile paste, I freeze some of it in an ice cube tray.  Once frozen, I transfer the cubes into a freezer bag.  Each cube is about 1 Tbsp. which makes it quite nice for dishes like this and especially nice when I make a pot of beans.  If you don’t have a red chile sauce or paste, then you can substitute 1 – 3 tsp. red chile powder or a chile powder blend or leave it out altogether.  The amount, of course, depends on how hot it is and how hot you want to make the dish.  For example, if you’re using cayenne, chile de arbol, murupi amerela, or chile pequin, then ½ tsp. might be plenty or for some, even too much.

The Herbs – Beans and oregano is always a good match, but play around with other herbs as well.  For a vegetarian version with mushrooms, thyme, tarragon or sage would be nice additions.  If you’re using Italian Sausage, then sage would be great.

There are so many variations that you can create with this beans and rice dish.  I hope you play around with this recipe and if you find a variation that you love that isn’t listed here, please come back and add it to the comments.  Hope you have fun and enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Beans and Rice with Sausage – An Easy One Pot Meal”

1. terry skinner June 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Just having fun going thru all the dissertations and comments…….Thanks

2. cquek March 12, 2014 at 2:44 am #

Oh my gosh… looking at your photos and reading about it, I almost can’t handle not having this in front of me.

3. Denise Browning@From Brazil To You March 11, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

I did grow up eating rice and beans — which is a staple in my home country, Brazil. I could not be around this dish because I could eat the whole thing by myself. What a complete, delicious meal, MJ!

4. Shannon | JustAsDelish March 11, 2014 at 10:21 am #

I love 1 pot meals. I’ve never tried rice and beans though. and with sausage sounds so yummy! must try it one day.

5. Nancy/SpicieFoodie March 10, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

I love beans and rice dishes — in fact planning on making some tomorrow. So true that it can either be a quick or long process, I prefer the faster and less cleanup way.:) Your recipe looks delicious, MJ! It reminds me of frijoles rancheros but with a twist.

• mj March 11, 2014 at 8:36 am #

Thanks Nancy! As you well know, once you have the beans made, there are so many easy dishes you can make, beans and rice being one of my favorites. I love frijoles rancheros!

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 9, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

I use this same braiser a lot to make one pot meal. Love the beans and rice together with sausages! You write very detailed additional info in Note section that I learned all kinds of variety that we can use for this dish! New thing I learned is “Louisiana trinity”. I didn’t know onion, celery and bell pepper are used often in the Southern cooking! :)

• mj March 11, 2014 at 8:29 am #

Isn’t it a great braiser?! I use mine all of the time and it’s so pretty. :) Glad I was able to teach you something new Nami. I feel the same way when I visit your blog. :)

7. Charles Smith March 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

I think beans are fantastic – people don’t eat nearly enough of them! I don’t think I can even think of a bean dish which I dislike (with the exception of natto, but I’m not sure if that counts as a “bean dish”). This will be lovely by default on account of the beans, but it looks beautiful too. Hearty and filling and great for this weather right now. It’s “plus” temperatures, but the wind is absolutely biting!

8. Bill March 8, 2014 at 5:51 am #

So funny that I’ve had red beans and rice on my mind for months now and especially since it’s Mardi Gras season and then I see this post. Great minds….! I had some delicious red beans and rice the last time I was in New Orleans and I love them. Your version looks so delicious and I love the spice you always put into your dishes! Awesome post, MJ!

9. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen March 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

This recipe is inspiring! Easy and delicious one pot meal.

10. The Wimpy Vegetarian March 6, 2014 at 5:09 pm #

What an appealing photograph!! And this is perfect timing for me. I made some pinto beans in the slow cooker and was planning on using them for dinner. Thanks for another great recipe!!!

• mj March 9, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks so much Susan! It was perfect timing. :)

11. Raymund March 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

A very nice all in one meal, one plate wonder!

12. Zsuzsa March 6, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Peach Lady you have to stop this. I would LOVE to make this dish – except my hubby is not a bean person. I think I exceeded my yearly quota of beany meals… Darn.

• mj March 9, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

Thanks Zsuzsa! Your husband doesn’t like beans? Oh, that would be a hard one for me to deal with. Maybe next time. :)

13. Vicki Bensinger March 5, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

MJ this sounds like a fantastic dish and so filling and satisfying. I can’t recall the last time I made beans and rice. I guess it’s time to make it again. I’ll try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

• mj March 9, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks Vicki! Hope you enjoy it!

14. Sissi March 5, 2014 at 11:05 am #

What a funny coincidence! I had yesterday rice with beans too, but it was in a cold bibimbap (Korean dish). Before discovering this dish I would have never tried combining beans and rice but they proved excellent.
    Your dish looks as always exotic to me and at the same time homely and comforting. I’m sure I will make either of the variations one day. They all sound delicious.

• mj March 9, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! How can we be literally a world apart and still eat the same? That’s just too much!:) Did you know that the combination of beans and rice produces the same type of protein of beef? That’s what I’ve read any way. Therefore, beans and rice is a great vegetarian dish, but then, I still like to thrown in a little sausage. :)

• Sissi March 11, 2014 at 10:33 am #

I had no idea… I share your preference of course and always add some meat/fish almost everywhere :-)

15. MaryAnne March 5, 2014 at 2:56 am #

This may sound like an odd compliment, but this recipe was the first meal I put together after having a baby last week. I did it with chorizo and brown rice, simmered in the slow cooker for a few hours. It was gorgeous and hearty and really soul satisfying, even though for most of the dinner I was being spoon fed by my husband as I was alternately nursing and soothing a squawky baby.

• mj March 9, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

I’ll take it MaryAnne!! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!!! Boy or Girl? You sound like my niece who just had a baby. She had acid reflux so bad that she did away with spicy foods during her pregnancy. As soon as she got home after having her darling little girl, she was eating chile. :) I love it that your husband was feeding you. :) Thanks for sharing this!!!

16. Amanda@ChewTown March 4, 2014 at 11:40 pm #

I love adding sausage to rice dishes! This sounds wonderful.

17. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles March 4, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

You must have read my mind! I was just telling my son yesterday afternoon that I was craving sausage… we haven’t had it in ages and it’s on the list for this week. I’m loving the simplicity of this one pot delight too so I’m hitting the print key right now! Thanks MJ (by the way, heading to World Market this afternoon — I’ll be sure to look out for the discount table ;-) hope I find some goodies!).

• mj March 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

Thanks Kelly! I hope you got a chance to try one of those variations and if you created another variation, please let me know. How was your trip to World Market?

18. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz March 4, 2014 at 9:26 am #

One pot dishes are the best and i love the versatility of this one. But your combo here is awesome, love the Louisiana influence…going there tomorrow woohoo!

• mj March 9, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Hope you’re having fun in Louisiana!!!

19. Katerina March 4, 2014 at 2:29 am #

I love oregano and it is an essential herb to Greek kitchen! This dish is indeed very versatile and very nutritious as well!

• mj March 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Thanks Katerina! I think oregano is one of those universal herbs that works well in almost any cuisine. I love it!

20. Hotly Spiced March 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

I love meals that don’t mess up the entire kitchen. This looks lovely – warming and comforting xx

21. swathi March 3, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Delicious one pot meal MJ love it. I can try this one san chorizo any day.

22. Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking March 3, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

Very satisfying and delicious especially for these cold winter days! Yum!

• mj March 3, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks Sandra! Oh yea – perfect for a cold, wet, winter’s day.

23. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style March 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

Easy and hearty… it looks great, MJ!

24. minnie March 3, 2014 at 11:18 am #

I can’t differentiate much between the sausages honestly, but what I do know is that this is totally my kind of dish. Freezing chili paste is such a great idea. I do that with tomato paste a lot. Never tried it with chili though. I like to work out with herbs and combo as well. This is such a great dish and so much potential to have a variety without changing the basics. Lovely!

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Thanks Minnie! I guess one needs to love sausage like I do and have lived in a couple of state that use a lot of some really spicy and delicious sausage. Hope you try the chile paste.

25. Soni March 3, 2014 at 8:58 am #

You’ve given me a great dinner idea :) Love everything about this dish and the flavors are perfect for this cold winter that we’re experiencing!

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks Soni! Hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to make it.

26. Gloria March 3, 2014 at 5:00 am #

Looks really delicious.. Yummy and filling one pot meal.

27. wok with ray March 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

You can make it meatless? No, no, no meatless here my friend. I want mine just like how you made it — complete. None of your ingredients will be missing when I make it. Looks like a delicious-hearty-comfort food. Have a good week ahead MJ! :)

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

And I wouldn’t expect you to cook it any other way Ray!! Hope you enjoy and have a great week!

28. Yi @ Yi Reservation March 2, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

Such a wonderful dish for the cold weather we are experiencing here in NYC. I adore the flavor of andouille sausage and I have used quite a bit this winter for my gumbo. Love the fact that this takes less than 45 minutes to take…definitely going to cook it soon. Thanks for sharing MJ!

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:54 pm #

Thanks Yi! Hope you enjoy it! Stay warm my friend!

29. Barb Bamber March 2, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Now this is the second time I’ve seen a recipe with andouille sausage in it.. it must be calling out to me:) My son loves this sort of recipe, mostly because of the sausage in it, I would love it for the beans!

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

With Mardi Gras just around the corner, it’s the time of year to bring out the andouille. :) Thanks Barb!

30. Debra March 2, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

I would love a hearty bowl of this right now as I listen to the sleet outside. (Actually, we are getting “thunder sleet.” )

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Thunder sleet is so very weird. I remember it from when I lived in Louisiana. Be careful and stay off the road!

31. John@Kitchen Riffs March 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

Great dish! This is my kind of food. I like andouille sausage a lot, but you’re right that chorizo is better (at least to my taste buds). We just got a new meat grinder attachment for our standing mixer, so homemade sausage is in the cards. ;-) And I was just looking at your chorizo recipe again — definitely will be making that. Anyway, this is a good dish — thanks.

• mj March 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

We obviously have a lot of the same tastebuds. I just saw your chicken and andouille gumbo. YUM! This dish is better with chorizo and quite a bit spicier, but still good with andouille. Once I saw I was out of chorizo I picked up 3 pounds of ground pork and made a big batch today. I hope you get to try it now that you have a meat grinder. I still have a manual one, so small batches is all I can handle. :) Happy Mardi Gras!

32. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

This is a delicious and filling meal. I even like it for leftovers. :)

1. Bean and Rice | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 9, 2014

[…] Bean and Rice A quick and easy one pot meal – Beans and Rice with Sausage.For full “Bean and Rice” recipe click here […]

2. Time to Cook up a Pot of Pinto Beans | MJ's Kitchen - March 29, 2014

[…] Add to Bean and Rice […]

3. Beans and Rice with Sausage – An Easy One Pot Meal | Animeagain.com - March 10, 2014

[…] source […]