Antipasto Style Hors d’oeuvres

An easy antipasto can be made using a lot of what you already have in the pantry and refrigerator. mjskitchen.com

The other day I was going through the first recipe book that I started back in the 80′s and found this recipe for an antipasto type hors d’oeuvre.  I remembered making it all of the time for dinner parties and summer backyard parties and it was always a big hit; therefore, I decided to bring it back.  These Antipasto Style Hors d’oeuvres can be served as an antipasto (the first course of a formal meal) or as hors d’oeuvres for a stand-up party.  It has a lot of delicious little bites that can be enjoyed by meat eaters, vegetarians and even vegans.  Just keep the meat and the cheese out of the marinated vegetables and off to the side or even on another plate. That way every one can enjoy them.

What makes this dish special is the dressing. It’s pack with herb deliciousness!  If you have tarragon vinegar, this is a great use for it.  At the house that we lived in during the 80′s I had an tarragon bed with plants 4 feet tall!  Needless to say, I made A LOT of herb vinegar. Hopefully, I’ll be able to make some this summer if my tarragon does well.  If you don’t have tarragon vinegar, white wine vinegar is a nice substitute.

The Vegetables – A variety of vegetables can be used.  The combination used in this recipe works great because it provides different textures, flavors and color to the final dish.  Other vegetables that would work include celery, sweet onion, raw sweet pepper strips, or broccoli stems.  For the artichoke hearts, I used a jar of plain artichokes. However, you could cook up some fresh artichokes if you want or use canned.  Just don’t use the marinated artichokes hearts. I’ve always found those too salty and oily.

The Olives – Be sure to use seedless olives.  You don’t want anyone to break a tooth.  For this particular batch, I used Kalamata and seedless green olives from an olive bar.

The Cheese – My preferences are provolone or fresh mozzarella, however other cheese such as regular mozzarella, aged cheddar or Manchego are quite delicious as well.

The Peperoncini Peppers – In the past I have found that most people don’t eat a whole pepper, so I started using the sliced peppers. People would top the vegetables with slices of pepper making them much easier to eat and adding a bit of a bite to the vegetables.  The sliced peppers always disappeared along with everything else.

These Antipasto Style Hors d’oeuvres make a great plate of food for a Super Bowl Party, a pot luck, open house, dinner party or any party for that matter.  Hope you enjoy!

Tags: , , , ,

44 Responses to “Antipasto Style Hors d’oeuvres”

1. Roz March 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

I love your antipasti platter MJ! No matter what time of the day, I can’t ever refuse these little Italian bites. We serve these for every holiday and get together and everyone is always in smiles!

• mj March 16, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Thanks for your lovely comment Roz!

2. Karen February 26, 2014 at 7:13 am #

My PERFECT kind of meal and such beautiful images too! Karen

• mj February 26, 2014 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Karen!

3. Zsuzsa February 19, 2014 at 10:05 pm #

Hello Peach Lady,

I looked over your recent posts and I can’t believe what I missed these last few months… I am trying hard to get back to blogging — This hors d’oeuvres is my absolute favorite… lovely presentation as always!

• mj February 20, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Well hello to you too my old friend!!! Glad to see you back. Sounds like you’ve been off on a much needed rest. Thanks so much for coming over to check things out. I’ll be headed your way soon. :)

4. Asmita February 10, 2014 at 8:42 am #

I love an antipasto. Easy and delicious! Your tray looks superb!

5. The Wimpy Vegetarian February 9, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Your tarragon bed was 4 feet tall??!!! Holy cow, MJ, that should have been entered into some contest. I love how this appetizer looks, and I completely agree that a good herby dressing makes all the difference!

6. Terra February 8, 2014 at 9:04 am #

This recipe is perfect for a party, everyone would devour it for sure!!! I would love mixing this in a big green leaf salad, it would be hearty and DELISH! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

• mj February 8, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Thanks Terra! Mixing it with a green leaf salad is a great idea and one that we’ve done. It makes a great meal!

7. Bill February 6, 2014 at 5:32 am #

Great idea for appetizers, MJ. I love the versatility of this platter and that it’s got something for everyone. I’m always on the hunt for something different to serve as a pre-dinner appetizer and I’m putting this on my list of options! Great post!

• mj February 6, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Thanks so much Bill! I hope you and your friends enjoy!

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 5, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

This is wonderful, MJ! I have to admit I’m much better at making Asian dishes and appetizers, and I need help making this kind of hors doeuvres. So happy you shared this. Saving in my file. We need nice cheese and wine to go with this!

• mj February 6, 2014 at 8:13 am #

Thanks Nami! Nothing wrong with Asian appetizers – I need to start making more of those. You definitely inspire me to do so every time I visit your blog!

9. easyfoodsmith February 5, 2014 at 5:44 am #

wonderful! I would love to munch on that.

10. Katerina February 5, 2014 at 12:59 am #

I love these types of dishes because you can munch from different types of mezedes as we call them in Greece. This variety makes eating more interesting!

11. ray February 4, 2014 at 9:41 am #

Yes, you start serving it as hors d’oeuvres but when no one is looking, I will eat these guys like a meal. Ha ha ha! I’m sorry MJ but I don’t think I can keep it as little bites. :) I hope you are having a great week.

• mj February 6, 2014 at 8:12 am #

Thanks Ray! Actually, Bobby and I have made a meal out of this. He He

12. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles February 3, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

You had me at tarragon :). I think I may have confessed before, it is my favourite herb and vinegar! What a lovely little antipasto dish you’ve prepare for us here MJ. I’m now craving lemony artichoke and it’s bedtime! xx

• mj February 6, 2014 at 8:11 am #

Thanks Kelly! I do remember that you’re a tarragon lover! Us tarragon lovers need to stick together. :) Oh you just made me think of something to try. :) Sweet Dreams my dear!

13. Giulietta | Alterkitchen February 3, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

I love this kind of antipasto (the Italian word for “starter”), where you can find a lot of different delicious food! :)

14. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz February 3, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

What a classic hors-d’oeuvres. I always like the kind where you can munch on like this. On one plate.The vegetable mix is so much better when home made. And I am a fan of tarragon so will bookmark.

• mj February 6, 2014 at 8:09 am #

Thanks Evelyne! Glad to find another tarragon fan! I love the herb!

15. Sissi February 3, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Looking at these delicious snacks I already feel like having a party :-) Wonderful tips, especially the one with marinated seasoned vegetables. I almost always make my own seasoned olives (people are so impressed and it’s so easy, isn’t it?), I only add oil and spices, but I have never thought of including other vegetables… I love artichokes, but never buy them seasoned (they are usually very greasy and expensive), only canned, so I will well remember to treat them in a way similar to olives.

• mj February 6, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Thanks so much Sissi! You’re right that this is the same process for seasoned olives – just add veggies. Glad to see that someone else finds the store bought artichokes rather off-putting. :) Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

16. Gintare @Gourmantine February 3, 2014 at 4:51 am #

I have to agree with Raymond, with all this deliciousness wine is a must :)

17. John Ford February 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

Looks fabulous – nice work

18. Ramona February 2, 2014 at 6:31 am #

Looks like a perfect starter for any meal… or a party! Happy Sunday!! :)

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:26 am #

Thanks Ramona! And a happy Sunday to you as well.

19. Raymund February 2, 2014 at 12:15 am #

One more thing missing, the wine.
    Love this post

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Absolutely!!! I thought about that after I took the shots. Bummer. :) Thanks!

20. Choc Chip Uru February 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm #

Such a delicious party recipe, everyone would love it :D

Choc Chip Uru

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Thanks Uru!

21. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I want to come to your party!

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:24 am #

Well come on up Maureen! The game starts in about 9 hours. :)

22. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 1, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

This is a great party food, MJ. The herb dressing sounds marvelous.

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:23 am #

Thanks Angie! The dressing is an unusual blend of flavors that come together quite well.

23. Debra February 1, 2014 at 10:20 am #

The Hubs just went to the grocery store for supplies for Sunday’s party. I wish I had read this before he went. :) Pinning this for later. Thanks, M.J.

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:23 am #

Thanks so much Debra! Enjoy the game today! Who will you be pulling for?

24. John@Kitchen Riffs February 1, 2014 at 9:59 am #

This is so nice! I always enjoy this sort of thing in restaurants, but almost never make it at home. I need to! That dressing looks killer. Really good stuff – thanks so much.

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:22 am #

Thanks John! It would go great with one of your nice cocktails. :)

25. Gloria February 1, 2014 at 9:50 am #

Looks inviting… Loved the dressing…

• mj February 2, 2014 at 7:21 am #

Thanks Gloria!

1. Antipasto | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Antipasto Antipasto with an herbaceous dressing for the vegetablesFor full “Antipasto” recipe click here […]