Orange and Cabbage Slaw

A quick and easy slaw made with oranges, cabbage and a simple vinaigrette mjskitchen.com

Quality citrus is abundant right now, so time for another delightful citrus salad.  In previous years I have brought you a Sweet and Spicy Citrus Salad and a Citrus Salad with Toasted Seeds and Maple Dressing. This year I’m serving up this Cabbage and Orange Slaw, a easy little salad that can be thrown together in about 15 minutes and served as a side to just about any entree’. It’s especially good with spicy dishes.  We’ve been eating it as a side to Red Chile Chicken Tamales and Red Chile Enchiladas.  The oranges serve as a sweet, cooling mechanism for the spicy chile.  It works much better than the standard New Mexico side of lettuce and tomatoes.

Like my other citrus salads, this slaw is very easy to make and works with a variety of salad dressings.  I prefer a simple dressing of just oil and flavored vinegar with a touch of honey or maple syrup.  However, you could always use a creamy dressing as well, one that is a more traditional dressing for a cabbage slaw.  As far as the citrus goes, you can use any type of a sweet tangerine or orange.  See Kitchen Notes for additional ideas.

Savoy Cabbage

Image courtesy of Nik Stanbridge

The Cabbage – Savoy cabbage is our preferred cabbage for this salad because it’s more delicate in texture and less bitter in taste than green or purple cabbage.  Napa cabbage has a totally different flavor and therefore, is not recommended.

The Citrus – This salad can be made with a variety of citrus; however, a sweet orange or tangerine works best because it’s a nice balance with the slight bitterness of raw cabbage.  Our favorites are Clementines (i.e. Cuties, tangerines) and Cara Cara Oranges. If you choose to use grapefruit, then you might want to make the salad dressing a little sweeter.  A mix of oranges, tangerines and grapefruit would also be nice.

The Sichuan Pepper Sea Salt – Recently, I gave myself a present of a variety of seasonings from Season With Spice.  Sichuan Pepper Sea Salt was one of the items that I purchased and  is a great finish for this salad. In addition to serving as the salty component, it also adds a spicy tingle on the tongue with each bite due to the Sichuan pepper.  However, if you don’t have this seasoned sea salt, cracked black pepper and unseasoned sea salt work just fine.

This Orange and Cabbage Slaw was shared with Made w/ Love Mondays  .

Tags: , , , ,

57 Responses to “Orange and Cabbage Slaw”

1. The Wimpy Vegetarian January 16, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Oranges and cabbage are the perfect combination this time of year. It’s such a refreshing and healthy salad!

2. Asmita January 13, 2014 at 8:20 am #

This looks so light and refreshing! Love!

3. Carroll Schmidt January 13, 2014 at 2:25 am #

Cabbage is eaten raw and finely shredded in the famous cabbage coleslaw with a simple vinaigrette dressing, as an accompaniment to grilled meats or as preserved leaves (sauerkraut), for making cabbage rolls and hearty soups.

4. Jennie @themessybakerblog January 10, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

I’ve been eating cara cara oranges like they’re going out of style. This salad look fresh and vibrant. Pinned.

• mj January 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm #

Jennie – I’ve been doing the same! Every time I finish off a bag I head to Costco and buy another bag. :) Thanks for pinning!!

5. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 10, 2014 at 8:28 am #

I had a blood orange salad with arugula today…love yours with cabbage too, MJ.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Angie

• mj January 11, 2014 at 10:33 pm #

Blood orange and arugula – that sounds delicious! Thanks Angie and hope you are having a wonderful weekend as well.

6. Amy (Savory Moments) January 10, 2014 at 4:40 am #

I love eating citrus this time of year – it’s so flavorful and delicious! This slaw is a great idea and pairing of flavors.

7. Raymund January 10, 2014 at 12:24 am #

Love the citrusy twist on this slaw!

8. swathi January 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

I haven’t tried savory cabbage, in slaw. I am going to buy next time, sure make this addition of orange, it is really colorful MJ. My hubby is slaw fan.

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

Thanks Swathi! Well you see, I’m not a big raw cabbage fan except for savoy. It’s tender and less bitter. It makes a great slaw! :)

9. Sissi January 9, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

You remind me I’m not very adventures with fruit and vegetable salad combinations. I used to prepare an orange and onion salad many years ago, it was always a big hit whenever served and that’s the only fruit-vegetable combination I ever did. I must be more creative or simply steal your ideas ;-) Your salad looks wonderful and the orange is somehow much more orange than anything I have ever bought here!

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:23 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! It’s those cara cara oranges that are so brilliant in color. The color matches their flavor! If you like oranges and onion, then all you need to do is add the cabbage. :)

10. Javelin Warrior January 9, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

I’ve never had orange mixed with slaw before, but this sounds very refreshing. And it’s perfect for this time of year too when citrus and cabbage are both in season…

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

Thanks Mark! Definitely one of the few things you can make in the winter with fresh produce.

11. easyfoodsmith January 9, 2014 at 5:48 am #

Your healthy version of slaw sounds perfect on its own and also great as an accompaniment.

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

It is quite healthy isn’t it?:) thanks!

12. Katerina January 9, 2014 at 3:15 am #

I love citrus in salads! This one is the perfect side dish for any meat!

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Thanks Katrina!

13. Minnie@thelady8home January 8, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

Creative creative creative slaw!! What’s not to love in a combo of cabbage and ornages and sea salt!! And look at those fiery pictures! Mindblowing!!

Happy New yr MJ!

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Thanks so much Minnie!

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 8, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

Such a great idea AND I am going to try this slaw. Great idea to use orange in slaw (which I’ve never done it before). The dressing sounds lovely and great idea to use the Sichuan Pepper Sea Salt from SwS!

15. Ramona January 8, 2014 at 5:32 am #

What a beautiful, light and refreshing slaw. I adore the dressing. Hope you have had a wonderful New Year 2014 so far!! Wishing you all the best. :)

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

Thanks Ramona! Same to you and yours!

16. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 8, 2014 at 1:08 am #

I love citrus salads, so I love this one :)
    Maybe tonight I’ll make it … I already have all I need!

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

Thanks my friend! Hope you enjoy!

17. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz January 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Oh this slaw is way more interesting than the usual kind. Savoy cabbage is a great choice and citrus brings in a breath of summer I think for cold winter days. Very nice recipe.

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! When I first made it I was just going for a salad, but then I saw that anything with raw cabbage is considered a slaw. Salad, slaw, it’s all good!

18. Helene D'Souza January 7, 2014 at 8:11 am #

I would love this orange cabbage slaw as a side with a beef steak and mash potato. I think it would all work fine together, no? =)
    Coleslaw kind of reminds me of my childhood, it’s such a popular winter vegetable and a delicious one as well. Thank you for sharing MJ!

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

Absolutely it would work! This salad goes with just about anything. I grew up eating a lot of coleslaw myself. Thank!

19. Cajunville January 7, 2014 at 5:58 am #

Looks wonderful and everything I like…will be making this…thanks

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

Thanks Laurie! Hope you enjoy! Happy new year!

20. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 7, 2014 at 3:07 am #

I bought the ingredients for slaw today and now I see this. I believe this is a sign I must make this slaw. It looks very good!

• mj January 9, 2014 at 11:07 pm #

Sounds like a sign to me.:) thanks!

21. Sanjeeta kk January 6, 2014 at 10:33 pm #

A few ingredients, no-mess and no fuss in kitchen…yes, this is what I would love to keep munching the whole day. Thanks for this wonderful combo of cabbage and citrus, MJ!

• mj January 8, 2014 at 11:04 am #

You nailed it Sanjeeta! :) definitely a no fuss salad and easily eaten all day. Thanks!

22. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 6, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

Oh m’gosh… major photo envy going on right now… look at that cover shot! Your oranges are simply on fire MJ. So inviting and colourful. Well, you know what a fan I am of cabbage and now I’m finally in location where citrus is bountiful — yay. You’ve got me rather intrigued about the Sichuan pepper sea salt… can you detect a taste that is different from classic sea salt? wonder where I might find that; I have enough of a challenge finding szechuan peppercorns :). Beautiful salad MJ. Happy New Year to You!! xo

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks Kelly! Oh I bet you are loaded down with citrus! So very envious! Yes, you can definitely taste the sichuan pepper in the sea salt and because it’s a blend, it’s not near as “salty”. Just click on the link in the recipe and it will take you to Season with Spice, my most favorite spice shop. You can get the Sichuan pepper sea salt or just the peppercorns. I have both. And a very Happy New Year to you!

• Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 7, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Awesome! Thank you MJ — I will definitely investigate season with spice on all fronts :).

23. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style January 6, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

This looks like a really nice cabbage, MJ. Loving the color contrast of those oranges!

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

Thanks so much Viviane!

24. Deena Kakaya January 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

I’ve not used orange and cabbage together, xx

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

You should try it. It’s actually quite good. Thanks for the comment!

25. Debra January 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm #

Love Savoy cabbage. This looks like a great salad to bring some sunshine to a winter’s meal.

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Definitely! Winter meals are normally so heavy so a salad like this is really nice. Thanks!

26. John@Kitchen Riffs January 6, 2014 at 8:52 am #

I’ve had loads of citrus salads before, but never one with cabbage. Love the idea! And definitely something I’ll be trying. This is really creative, and I love the finish of the Sichuan pepper sea salt! I don’t have that on hand, but do have some Sichuan peppers – I could probably grind some of those and just toss them in with regular sea salt. Super nice recipe – thanks.

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Thanks John! The cabbage was an accident. Normally I do use lettuce, but all I had was a savoy cabbage. I ended up making this salad 4 times in one week from the same head of cabbage. It’s so good! The Sichuan pepper really makes it! Your peppercorns and sea salt are going to work just fine. :) Hope you enjoy!

27. Gloria January 6, 2014 at 7:25 am #

That’s such a innovative yummy slaw..Loved the addition of orange

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

Thanks so much Gloria! Thanks for stopping by!

28. Gintare @Gourmantine January 6, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Oh, I love the simplicity of this. For some reason eating cabbage slaw always reminds me of grandma, she would serve it all the time at winter. Nice touch with orange!

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

Thanks Gintare! I’m always happy when my recipes bring back memories. :)

29. Judy @Savoring Today January 6, 2014 at 7:05 am #

Ripe and juicy citrus is one of the things I love most about winter. What a simple and delicious way to use it, you are right, it would go with just about any dish. :)

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

Totally agree Judy! I can’t get enough citrus this time of year.

30. Tessa January 6, 2014 at 6:59 am #

What a wonderfully different slaw! Great idea to add citrus. I’m definitely going to try this! Have a great day MJ!

• mj January 6, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

Thanks Tessa! I hope you do get to try it. It’s really good!

1. Orange Cabbage Slaw | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Orange Cabbage Slaw Orange and Cabbage Slaw – A simple and tasty little slaw with oranges and savoy cabbage.For full “Orange Cabbage Slaw” recipe click here […]

2. Avocado, Orange and Cucumber Salad | MJ's Kitchen - January 21, 2014