Cranberry Rooibos Chai

Rooibos chai brewed in cranberry juice, topping with whipped cream and ginger mjskitchen.com

Do you have tea time?  A time during the day to just stop what you’re doing, relax, and enjoy the moment? If you work from home or are retired, it’s relatively easy to get into a tea time habit. Ours is usually between 3 to 4 in the afternoon. In the warmer months, I usually make us iced chai, and in the colder months – hot chai.  Since it is mid-afternoon, I require a caffeine free chai, otherwise I’m up until 3 a.m.  My favorite caffeine free chai is a Rooibos chai which I normally brew in hot water, but when I have cranberry juice, it’s a real treat to use hot cranberry juice in place of water. So for today’s tea I’m serving up a Cranberry Rooibos Chai, a tangy sweet delight. It’s great with a little honey or sugar, but if you really want to get decadent, top it with some whipped cream and a sprinkle of ground ginger.  YUM!

Rooibos (“red bush” in Afrikaans and pronounced “ROY-bus”) is actually not a tea, but a tea-like beverage brewed from the dried leaves and shoots of the rooibos shrub that is native to South Africa.  The dried leaves are red in color and yield a reddish beverage when brewed.  It is a naturally sweet “tea” and is used to make a variety of “rooibos chai” blends.  Because it’s not a tea, it is naturally caffeine free making it the perfect “tea” for afternoon consumption.  When brewed in hot cranberry juice it makes a beautifully, rich red “tea”.

Rooibos chai brewed in cranberry juice mjskitchen.com

The Chai Tea – I’ve tried Rooibos chai from several different sources and this fall I found my favorite at a local tea store – New Mexico Tea Company.  This Rooibos Masala Chai is naturally sweet and has the balance of ginger, cardamom, clove and cinnamon that I like.  It’s list of ingredients are “Organic rooibos, organic ginger root, organic cardamom, organic pepper, organic clove, organic cinnamon”.  Ever since I bought my first bag, it has been the only chai I’ve been drinking for afternoon tea.

The Ginger Sprinkle – I love ginger and with this particular chai blend, the ginger is quite nice.  With another chai blend, cardamom or cinnamon might work better.  So if you don’t have ginger or care for ginger, then substitute the ginger sprinkle with another spice.

Disclaimer – I received no product for this post nor was I asked to review any product.  The drink, the post, and the review of this Rooibos Masala Chai are all my own creations, ideas, and opinions.

This Cranberry Rooibos Chai has been linked to the following blog hops:  Hearth & Soul   .

Tags: , ,

59 Responses to “Cranberry Rooibos Chai”

1. Sony's kitchen February 11, 2014 at 7:59 am #

Interesting and very comfort soup this winter !!

2. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 10, 2014 at 10:07 am #

Your Cranberry Rooibos Chai looks really refreshing, MJ! The colour is really appetising too – it would definitely make for a delicious tea time. Being British, I have tea time pretty much every day, although sometimes my Canadian side comes out and I drink coffee at tea time ;-)

• mj February 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Thanks so much April! It is a perfect tea for tea time, so even us southwesterners have every day. :) I do have to admit that in the summer, we go for iced coffee or iced tea. Still can’t handle hot tea on a hot day.

3. Katerina January 21, 2014 at 5:32 am #

This is more than a chai! It looks delicious, i would love to try it!

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Katerina! Oh yes, it is more than a chai. :)

4. Hotly Spiced January 21, 2014 at 4:06 am #

That’s a very special and gorgeous looking cup of tea. That looks like a great afternoon pick-me-up xx

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Thanks Charlie!

5. Joyti January 21, 2014 at 12:15 am #

Well, I have a few tea times…morning, when I get home, just before bed… :) Usually Japanese sencha, which is my favorite.

The chai sounds delicious! And so pretty too!

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks Joyti! I too love Japanese Sencha but haven’t had it in a long time. You reminded me I need to pick some up.

6. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles January 20, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

I have at least one tea time a day but generally more ;-) — I find it’s the perfect way to cap off a meal or segment of the day and there’s a flavour for every mood :). I think I would really enjoy the pairing of the sweet tart notes from the cranberry with the spicier notes from the rooibos chai And yes, the whipped cream topping would make it extra ‘special’ for sure. (Just don’t tell me boys, they are accustomed to the usual tea time after school and would never come back from the dressed up version ;-) ).

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

“a flavor for every mood..” Absolutely! I have a small pantry dedicated just to tea so I have plenty of choices depending on my mood. :) Oh no — I promise I won’t tell the boys about the whipped cream. Way too tempting!

7. wok with ray January 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

I like drinking tea and I do it everyday. The only thing that I should be doing is adding the whip cream. Love the look of that chai tea. My wife would love that because chai is her favorite. Thanks MJ and I wish you and Bobby a good week. :)

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks Ray! Oh, the cream is quite decadent and so good!!! I hope you’re having a great week as well Ray!

8. Charles January 20, 2014 at 3:13 pm #

Tea time? You’d think I would, being British, but it’s more of a coffee time now, and that “time” tends to be all day long from the time I get up to about 11pm :D.

I love the colour of the chai – looks very warm and inviting. I’ll trade in one of my cups of coffee for a cup :)

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:38 pm #

Well, that’s a surprise! But then you’re always full of surprises Charles. :) Thanks for your comments!

9. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

I drink tea all day long! This is very different from the tea I drink and I would love to give it a try too. Beautiful photos, MJ.

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks so much Angie! I’m with you – I drink tea all day long as well!

10. Gintare @Gourmantine January 20, 2014 at 8:22 am #

I’m actually an all day long tea drinker :) usually start morning with a cup of coffee and move to countless tea cups from there on :)

11. Roz January 19, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

I love taking tea in the early evening too and your chai tea sounds absolutely lovely to add to the flavors that I enjoy!

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Thanks Roz! I love tea in the morning as well. In fact in the cooler months I drink it until around 5. :)

12. Cj January 19, 2014 at 11:10 am #

OMG – This looks divine – Would love to see this submitted at FoodFotoGallery.com so I can share with all my foodie friends :-)

• mj January 21, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks CJ! I will do that!

13. Kate@Diethood January 18, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

YES! I actually do have tea time and I look forward to it all day. Right about now, I wish I had that glass mug near me. The color is plain gorgeous!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks Kate! I’m with you! Tea time is definitely something to look forward to.

14. Liz January 18, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

I’m sipping on a cup of hot tea right now, but it’s nowhere as gorgeous as your cranberry-rooibos! Beautiful, MJ!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks so much Liz!

15. Sissi January 18, 2014 at 8:13 am #

MJ, I know rooibos very well (though I haven’t had it for quite a long time). I like it a lot when it’s flavoured with lemon but I have never tasted chai version. Your addition of cranberry juice sounds excellent and has such a gorgeous colour!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks so much Sissi! It is a beautiful cup of tea isn’t? To be honest with you, I haven’t tried just “rooibos tea”. I’ve had my versions of rooibos blends. I’m going to have to try it plan and add that piece of lemon. :)

16. Nisa Homey January 17, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Tea time is an indulgence for me…..but I think I should make it a habit…this sounds so refreshing!!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

An indulgence is a good start for turning something into a habit. Thanks Nisa!

17. swathi January 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

Delicious and colorful tea Mj. I don’t mind if you gave few glasses.

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks Swathi!

18. Ramona January 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Tea is a big part of Sri Lankan culture…so I love everything tea related. This is a new product for me to look out for… looks lovely and I adore cranberry anything. :) Have a great weekend!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

Thanks Ramona! Glad to introduce you to something new. :)

19. Evelyne@cheapethniceatz January 17, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

I am not a big tea drinker but rooibos is among my favorites when I do have some tea. I think the idea of brewing with a juice is just brilliant! And the whip cream on top is just decadent. Have a great weekend!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

Thanks Evelyne! Brewing in juice makes a huge difference! I think you’d like it.

20. Deb January 17, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

I need tea time in my afternoons! I usually am finishing up whatever project I’m working on and then start making dinner. A break would be welcome, especially to snuggle up with a hot cup of Cranberry Rooibos Chai!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

Thanks so much Deb! I let my tea time tell me that it’s time to shutdown work for the day. Even though I only work part-time, it’s easy to keep working. :)

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

I do have tea time and I won’t miss it! It’s my necessary time to pick up new caffeine intake (to last the day)! Though I usually grab a cup and do the homework and workbook with the kids… not so relaxing moment but the tea helps me calm… LOL. Love chai, and cranberry rooibos chai sounds like something I need to experiment!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks Nami! Sounds like you use tea like most people use coffee. I was wondering how you survive on 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. :)

22. Donalyn@The Creekside Cook January 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

I do have an afternoon cup of tea nearly every day, and it is a lovely, relaxing habit. I love the flavor of Rooibos and use it quite often, blending it with green teas sometimes. Your version looks really good!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks Donalyn! Tea time is a nice habit isn’t it? I’ll have to try blending rooibos with green tea. That sounds good!

23. cquek January 17, 2014 at 1:25 am #

Cannot wait to try these.

24. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 16, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

We have tea for breakfast and we have tea with anything I’m taking photos of that need to be eaten before it melts. :)

Your tea looks very good.

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks Maureen! Those are some pretty specific tea times. :)

25. Vicki Bensinger January 16, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Oh wow this sounds quite comforting in this cold weather. I’ll definitely be making this w/o the whipped cream on top, although that sounds pretty tasty too!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

Thanks Vicki! It really quite good with or without the whipped cream.

26. Debra January 16, 2014 at 11:33 am #

I would never have thought to use a fruit juice instead of water. This sounds delicious! I used to love chai and would make it (from concentrate) often. Now, I drink so much coffee (but cutting back) that I don’t often get to enjoy it. And, I only have time for a relaxing tea time on the weekends!!!!!!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:48 pm #

Thanks Debra! Hopefully you’ll be able to find more time for time during the week.

27. John@Kitchen Riffs January 16, 2014 at 10:15 am #

We don’t take a break like that for some reason even though we’re both at home. We should really consider it – it’d certainly suit our life style, and fit in well with our eating habits (I’m often hungry for a small snack around that time). Love chai! This is such an excellent recipe – thanks.

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks John! Be careful, because once you start taking an afternoon tea time, you’ll not be able to quit. :)

28. The Wimpy Vegetarian January 16, 2014 at 10:09 am #

I’m trying hard to stop what I’m doing around 3 or 4pm for a break. I make tea or coffee, meditate, or just relax in the garden. I love chai and want to make this – I’m not familiar with rooibos masala, but I’m going to look for it today :-)

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks Susan! Stopping to smell the roses is important isn’t it? :) I love tea time!

29. Giulietta | Alterkitchen January 16, 2014 at 8:31 am #

I have more of a coffee break, and I usually have some barley coffee, that I adore!
    This chai looks amazing!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks Giulia! Barley coffee? I’ve never heard of that? Now I need to check it out. Hope you’ve had a fabulous weekend!

30. Gloria January 16, 2014 at 6:47 am #

That’s so delicious.. Yummy pics too

31. Tessa January 16, 2014 at 6:47 am #

Sounds and looks refreshing! Have you tried it over ice? Have a great day MJ!

• mj January 19, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks Tessa! No, I haven’t tried it over ice, but that sounds like a great idea!

1. Cranberry Rooibos Chai | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Cranberry Rooibos Chai Rooibos Chai tea brewed in Cranberry juice and topped with whipped cream and ginger powderFor full “Cranberry Rooibos Chai” recipe click here […]