Gazpacho Salad

Turn your gazpacho into a salad

Don’t you just hate it when you forget a major ingredient when serving a dish to dinner guests?  That’s what I did the other night with this Gazpacho Salad.  The moment I started eating it, I knew something was missing, but I just couldn’t come up with what it was – until the next morning.  I looked at my list of “last minute things to do” (which I had obviously failed to look at) and saw “add cheese to salad”. Bummer!  Oh well, everyone still enjoyed it, and it was a great complement to the chorizo burgers.

This Gazpacho Salad was developed using my Chunky Gazpacho recipe that I posted last summer.  The two recipes are very close to being the same, but the salad uses bigger pieces of vegetables, a touch of feta or fresh mozzarella cheese, and the best heirloom tomatoes you can find.  When I saw these beautiful heirlooms last week at the growers’ market I knew this salad had to be made.

A variety of Heirloom tomatoes

Speaking of heirloom tomatoes – I discovered the “garden peach tomato” the other day at the growers’ market.  One of my favorite growers had a few garden peach tomatoes (also called a Wapsipinicon Peach) mixed in with her other heirlooms. I of course had to buy a few to test them out.  They are relatively small, only about 2 inches in diameter, yellow to a pinkish yellow color, and a slightly fuzzy skin.  The flavor is quite a bit sweeter than most tomatoes, and not the least bit acidic.  According to Wikipedia garden peach tomatoes are native to South American, mainly Peru where they are called Coconas.  This tomato was introduced into the United States in the 1860s.  From what I’ve read about them,  the plants are very prolific.  I’ve already added them to my list of “possible tomatoes to plant”  next year because they were so good!  Hopefully, I can find some started plants because I’ve never been very good at starting tomato plants from seed.

Salad with all of the ingredients for a gazpacho plus cheese

Salad with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, basil and mint

The Tomatoes – This salad really calls for some of the best and tastiest tomatoes you can find.  A mix of meaty heirlooms makes the best salad.

The Cheese – As I recently discovered, this salad is just fine without the cheese; therefore, if you can’t eat cheese, just leave it out. However, I personally prefer a little cheese – either feta or fresh mozzarella. Which cheese I use has a lot to do with what I’m serving it with. You definitely get two different results depending on the cheese you use, as you can imagine. My preference is usually feta; however, when I serve this as a side for a spicy dish, I prefer fresh mozzarella.

The Red Chile Flakes – If you want a little spice with the sweetness of the tomatoes, then add the red chile flakes.  Just be careful not to overdo it. Red chile flakes are normally quite hot, so a little goes a long way.

Like many salads this Gazpacho Salad is best the day that you make it.  After about 24 hours, you’ll  have gazpacho.

This Gazpacho Salad has been added to Katherine Martinelli’s Summer Hop   .

Tags: ,

51 Responses to “Gazpacho Salad”

1. Amber @ The Cook's Sister September 25, 2013 at 11:36 am #

What a lovely and colourful salad!

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 16, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

First, I really like the lovely colorful tomatoes popping out of the salad! So beautiful. My husband is having his team over for dinner this Thurs. I need to try this to accompany to his bbq dish. All I need is mint, basil, cheese and olive. I can’t wait to eat this!

• mj September 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks so much Nami! I hope you and your guests enjoy it! It’s such a refreshing salad.

3. Jennie @themessybakerblog September 10, 2013 at 7:25 am #

MJ, this salad looks amazing. With or without the cheese, it looks delish. Those peach tomatoes sound wonderful.

4. Gomo | cHow Divine September 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

This salad looks SO fresh and seasonal. I think I would actually prefer it over the traditional gazpacho! I can’t have cheese, but I can imagine this being yummy with some feta. I’m sure it was perfectly delicious even without it tho. :)

5. Reese September 9, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Yummy! The idea of transforming a dish to another form is so simple yet incredibly creative. It is a great way to use up the ingredients too. This Gazpacho salad resemblances a bowl of sunshine. Perfect to cheer up the mood around here. We’ve had grey skies two days consecutively.

6. Raymund September 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

I am always 50 : 50 with gazpacho, I am just not sure if I can agree with a cold soup idea but this one definitely will be a champion all those flavour in that bowl simply the best.

7. Liz September 7, 2013 at 7:35 am #

This is exactly the sort of dish I could live off all summer…especially with heirloom tomatoes. I love the addition of cheese…but I’m certain it was delicious even without :)

8. Sissi September 7, 2013 at 6:40 am #

This salad looks perfect to enjoy the tomatoes which are best at this time of the year: juicy, fully ripe and aromatic. I love the idea of deconstructing gazpacho and adding some cheese. Very creative! PS I have fallen in love with your photo of tomatoes!

9. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 7, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Spring has sprung and I have *one* tomato that’s just beginning to turn yellowish. I’ll probably need more than that one but it won’t be long and I can make this gazpacho salad!

10. Carole September 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Interesting MJ – I only know gazpacho as a cold soup – learn something new every day! Cheers

11. beyond the peel September 6, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Gazpacho Salad! I love the idea. How wonderful. I’ve never heard of peach tomatoes. Maybe no one in my area is growing them but I’d love to try. Thanks for sharing such a fun recipe.

12. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

So refreshing! Gazpacho salad with feta? That’s new :D

13. Bill September 6, 2013 at 11:47 am #

LOVE this salad! Gaspacho is one of my favorites and a salad version is brilliant. Can you send me a bowl?? :-)

14. Charles September 6, 2013 at 9:34 am #

This looks wonderful MJ – I’ve been craving stuff like this recently. It seems like we’ve gone through a real glut of eating very inappropriate stuff for the season and weather and all I want to do right now is scarf crunchy, fresh flavoured things.

Beautiful looking salad – so colourful, so alive with flavour!

15. Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 6, 2013 at 7:34 am #

LOVE the sound of your gazpacho salad – the beans, the veggies, the red wine vinegar – tastebud tantalizing! Thanks for sharing :)

16. Sanjeeta kk September 6, 2013 at 5:13 am #

Gazpacho salad…what a fun recipe to make! With all the lovely colours, feta, Olives..this salad will be a sure winner for any party.

17. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen September 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

This salad still looks delish and beautiful even without the cheese!

18. Hotly Spiced September 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

That’s a shame about the cheese. I’ve done that more times than I can remember – sitting at the table enjoying a great meal while one of the ingredients sits on the kitchen bench. Oh well. Lovely looking salad xx

19. Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Oh yes, I hate when I do that. Also when I photograph the ingredients for my blog and forget one, hehe! I love the idea of the salad; it looks so pretty and healthy. We don’t get many heirloom tomatoes here but when we do I eat them up. Thanks for sharing MJ!

20. The Wimpy Vegetarian September 5, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

What a great idea for a salad! I love gazpacho, so this salad is definitely calling to me. And yes, I’ve left out an ingredient. I made a birthday cake for my stepson one year and left out the butter. He actually mentioned it last weekend in his speech at his wedding reception, LOL!!

• mj September 8, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

That’s hilarious! Oh kids – they have long memories. :) Thanks for your comments Susan!

21. Roz September 5, 2013 at 8:34 am #

I’d truly prefer this over the read deal gazpacho, since I prefer salads over soup! I love all of the ingredients that you chose to include too!

xo
    Roz

• mj September 8, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Thanks Roz! I think my love of salad vs. soup is seasonal. I like salads in the summer and soups in the winter. :)

22. wok with ray September 5, 2013 at 8:11 am #

You put this delicious Gazpacho salad in front of me, I wouldn’t know what’s missing. The bowl setting looks so refreshing. Don’t worry, you’re not alone with that problem of forgetting an ingredient. I am the same way and I hate it. Weekend is almost with us , so you and Bobby have a good and relaxing weekend. :)

• mj September 8, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

thanks Ray! glad to know someone else is as absent-minded as I am. :) Hope you’re having a great weekend!

23. Treat and Trick September 5, 2013 at 5:52 am #

So colorful and looks superb to go along with any meal!

24. Debra September 4, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

I like this better than real gazpacho .

• mj September 5, 2013 at 3:02 am #

I have to agree with you on that one Debra! :)

25. Cesar Duncan September 4, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

When I was a child, my father, who rarely cooked, would sometimes prepare a chopped salad that he had eaten in the US. It comprised several ingredients – often crunchy lettuce, sweet tomatoes and cheese or some form of meat – chopped into small pieces and tossed with a good dressing. This is more a Middle East version, without meat or cheese. It is almost the consistency of gazpacho, but laced with plenty of cool, crunchy cos lettuce.

26. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

This is such a great idea MJ and I’m diggin’ the name ;-) — it reminds me of Greek salad which I adore. I don’t know, with that many fresh and delicious veggies going on, I doubt your guests noticed anything was amiss. (I find the cook always spots these things sometimes with alarm, a bit like a musician who misses a note, but the rest of us are just going along merrily oblivious). I have to look out for peach tomatoes now! Very pretty styling here – so simple and effective (I especially love the second to last photo).

• mj September 5, 2013 at 3:01 am #

Thanks Kelly! Great analogy to the musician! Those peach tomatoes are pretty incredible. Hope you find some. That photo is Bobby’s favorite as well. :)

27. Amy (Savory Moments) September 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

This looks quite perfect for tomato season! Lovely and refreshing!

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:59 am #

Thanks Amy! Tomato season is the only time I make it because it’s the only time I can get really good tomatoes, a definite requirement for this salad.

28. Ramona September 4, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Lovely and refreshing salad. My mother and I always keep a list before a party… and just like you, we always forget something still. LOL! Such is the life of the hostess…

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:58 am #

So true Ramona! Thanks and hope you’re having a great week.

29. ChgoJohn September 4, 2013 at 11:19 am #

I like the sound of this very much, MJ. This salad has everything gazpacho has to offer plus texture, which I really love. As for forgetting ingredients, I cannot tell you how many times I’ve gone to the grocery – even with a0 list — and come home to find I missed something. And it is always something I need for that night’s dinner. It’s infuriating! :)

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:58 am #

Thanks JOhn! Yep – forgetting something on your list at the grocery is actually worse! :)

30. john@kitchenriffs September 4, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Yeah, I sometimes forget last minute things like that too. Even when I make lists, I sometimes forget to check them, alas. Whenever it happens (which isn’t all that often, thank goodness!), it seems I’m trying to complete several different dishes at the same time and in a rush. Anyway, this is a fantastic looking salad. We’re finally getting some tomatoes out of our garden (we’ve thwarted the squirrels with fencing, netting, etc – though they’re still managing to get some tomatoes!). Definitely something I should try – thanks.

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:56 am #

That’s exactly what happened John! Too many different dishes were ready at the same time and things got rushed. Love having wild animals around but they are a pain when you’re trying to grow a garden. Glad you’re finally getting tomatoes. Thanks for your comments as always!

31. Vicki Bensinger September 4, 2013 at 8:10 am #

I’ve made a gazpacho sorbet and gazpacho salsa but not a gazpacho salad. Great idea and looks so refreshing. I’m going to make this tonight.

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:53 am #

Gazpacho sorbet? That’s a new one on me. Hope you did get a chance to make the salad and enjoyed it. Thanks!

32. Tessa September 4, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Fabulous idea! I have a bunch of heirlooms to be eaten up. Perfect with grilled fish tonight!

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Definitely a great side for grilled fish! Thanks!

33. Angie@Angie's Recipes September 4, 2013 at 7:23 am #

A soup in salad form…I love it!

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Pretty cool right? :) Thanks Angie!

34. Rathai September 4, 2013 at 7:08 am #

I love the idea of chunky gazpacho – looks so fresh, colourful and healthy. Gazpacho has been on my to-do list for sooo long but since it reminds me of tomato sauce by appearance, I’d never felt motivated to make it at home. I definitely like the idea of chunky gaqpacho more and can’t wait to try this.

• mj September 5, 2013 at 2:51 am #

Thanks Rathai! I definitely prefer a chunky gazpacho and when I don’t want a soup,this salad is even better.

35. Jen @JuanitasCocina September 4, 2013 at 5:43 am #

What an amazing and gorgeous salad! It makes me love this slide from summer into fall!

36. Giulietta | Alterkitchen September 4, 2013 at 3:58 am #

So nice this chunky gazpacho!! :)

1. Gazpacho Salad | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 11, 2014

[…] Gazpacho Salad Gazpacho Salad with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, and cheese.For full “Gazpacho Salad” recipe click here […]